Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2018 9:32:54 PM EDT
Sooo...

Ive had an old Icom 706 for a long time, works fine for ssb voice.

Recently i got the bug to "data all the things"....

I got an interface cable for the 706 and it basically dont work. No RX no TX on three different types of interfaces. The interfaces all work fine with other rigs, and the cables are GTG. .

I checked the connector and it seems fine physically.

Im in USB mode and there doesnt seem to be a specific data mode. I do have the port set to 1200baud to use the HF ptt (no ptt works tho)...

Any thoughts? Am I missing something critical here? Radio works fine otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What interface cable(s) and which port are you tapped into?

<------706mk2g owner
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Im using either a wolphi link or the g4zlp interfaces. Basically like signallink for zlp, and i have 2 different interfaces ive tried.

Its the original 706, no mk2 or g... so there is only the 13 pin port to plug into. Im just wondering since its basically not working at all that i might be either doing something dumb config wise (likely) Or the whole port is somehow fried (less likely).
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I typically use the DATA port (mini DIN) on my 706g2 but I do

have a "breakout box" for the 13 pin ACCY port I use occasionally

on Field Day for my CQ Caller device. I have used the HSEND port for PTT

by grounding it.

When you said  " I do have the port set to 1200baud to use the HF ptt " was that in reference

to some software setting?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Per the manual if i understand it there are differnet settings for TNC/acc port use and that setting selsects the right "pin" for ptt.

Im more beffudled by the fact i get nothing on RX.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I only see baud rate settings for the DATA port on mine. It must be different from the

older 706.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
is there a specific data mode you use on the mk2g?

AFAIK the 1200 setting sets it up for TNC interfacing while other settings are for cat control.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top