Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2021 12:15:13 PM EDT
I would like to add an antenna switcher to my shack. I'm only using 2 antennas at the moment, but am tired of plugging / un-plugging each time I make a change.

Was looking at this switcher:  https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-008461 yes more than I need, but don't want to buy again if I add another antenna.

My antennas are in different locations in my backyard and remote switching would not work for me.

Question: for my setup, do I run the antenna cable from my transceiver to my tuner, then to the switcher and out to the 2 antennas? The tuner will tune through the switcher ok - correct?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically the coax switch would be placed between the transmitter (transceiver) output and the input to the different ‘tuners’, and/or to the transmission lines to other antennas. I would not generally put a coax switch inline with the output of a ‘tuner’.

Can you describe in more detail the antennas you are using, what type of transmission lines you are using, and what type of ‘tuner(s)’ you are using?

If you are currently using one ‘tuner’ with multiple antennas, that is likely not the correct device to use for switching between those antennas. (Or, if you are using one ‘tuner’ with the output going to two or more coaxial cables that connect to different antennas, I’d question whether that is the best arrangement to be using.)

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Question: for my setup, do I run the antenna cable from my transceiver to my tuner, then to the switcher and out to the 2 antennas? The tuner will tune through the switcher ok - correct?
View Quote

Yes.

Many manual tuners have multiple outputs so function as a switch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the response.

I'm using an IC-7300 transceiver, which is connected to an LDG Z-100A tuner. Up until this week the tuner fed a Chameleon EMMCOM III antenna. But I've been building a DX Commander Classic antenna. I'm in an HOA so the DXC will only go up when I need to use it. It's set up 150' away in my back yard. The EMCOMM end fed feeds from my balcony which is 20' from my shack (Ham gear desk.)

So I'd like to use my IC-7300 into my tuner and then pick which antenna to use. The DX when I can and the EMMCOM when I can't or don't have time to raise up the DX.

If the best thing to do is just keep plugging (screwing) the antenna being used into the tuner each time, then that's what I'll keep doing.

Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes.

View Quote

Just so I'm clear.

Yes I can run my 7300 into my LDG Automatic tuner, to the Alpha Delta 4B switcher and two cables out to the 2 antennas?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just so I'm clear.
Yes I can run my 7300 into my LDG Automatic tuner, to the Alpha Delta 4B switcher and two cables out to the 2 antennas?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Just so I'm clear.

Yes that is what a switch does.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you very much for the help and your patience.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just keep in mind when using a large-range tuner with mismatched loads that it is very easy to exceed voltage or power-handling limits of any part of the transmission line system, with items like baluns, switches and surge suppressors being particularly vulnerable.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, that switch has a built-in gas surge arrestor -  placing it inline between the tuner output and the antenna (at which location it will see an unknown impedance but one which is not likely to be close to optimal) runs the risk of subjecting it to high RF voltages, even when driving it with only 100 watts.

It may in fact work for your purposes, but that is not the configuration for which it was designed or intended.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, that switch has a built-in gas surge arrestor -  placing it inline between the tuner output and the antenna (at which location it will see an unknown impedance but one which is not likely to be close to optimal) runs the risk of subjecting it to high RF voltages, even when driving it with only 100 watts.

It may in fact work for your purposes, but that is not the configuration for which it was designed or intended.
View Quote

Well crap, just placed the order. I guess I'll find out...
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't worry about it. Most likely it will work just fine.
It will take about 87 seconds to remove the gas discharge pill and disable the surge protection feature. 80 seconds to find the  screwdriver you just had in your hand but forgot where you put it, and 7 seconds to remove it.

BTW, if anyone needs a remote switch, these work very well. They are much better than MFJ, especially on VHF/UHF. I believe they have a distributor here in the US.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't worry about it. Most likely it will work just fine.
It will take about 87 seconds to remove the gas discharge pill and disable the surge protection feature. 80 seconds to find the  screwdriver you just had in your hand but forgot where you put it, and 7 seconds to remove it.

BTW, if anyone needs a remote switch, these work very well. They are much better than MFJ, especially on VHF/UHF. I believe they have a distributor here in the US.
View Quote

You recommend I remove the gas discharge pill and disable the surge protection feature?

Thanks for the help - once again. Trying to have my new antenna ready (at least on 40m) for Tuesday night's net.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Try it as-is without doing anything other than hooking it up.

It may work just fine in your installation.

(If not, then you can try ‘things’.)

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Try it as-is without doing anything other than hooking it up.

It may work just fine in your installation.

(If not, then you can try ‘things’.)

View Quote

Ok, will do. Thanks for the help. I'm still and idiot at this stuff - it's nice to have a support group.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just so I'm clear.

View Quote
Learn how to change memories in your tuner, if you don't it will have to do a complete match each time vs using the internal memory from the last time you were on that frequency.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You recommend I remove the gas discharge pill and disable the surge protection feature?

Thanks for the help - once again. Trying to have my new antenna ready (at least on 40m) for Tuesday night's net.

View Quote

I don't recommend it but you can remove it if it's causing problems. Try it the way it is first. I'm 99.9% sure that it will work just fine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just so I'm clear.

View Quote

That's the way mine is set up; radio > tuner > switch > antennas.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top