Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2021 12:33:22 AM EDT
I had this idea for simplifying the items I carry. Suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Something like a Zippo but with a fuel that doubles as a gun lubricant?
I imagine it would come down to wick design as thick oils are not drawn up wicks easily, but maybe there could be a work around.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Most lubricating oils are not nearly volatile enough for use in a lighter.

Think about it. If the oil evaporated readily, it wouldnt be a good lubricant. After a few minutes sitting around the gun would be bone dry if if evaporated like zippo fluid.

The evaporation is essential for a lighter, as the flint ignited the flammable vapors over the wick, not the wick itself.

Just carry some Zippo fluid and a few Ballistol wipes and you're good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most lubricating oils are not nearly volatile enough for use in a lighter.

Think about it. If the oil evaporated readily, it wouldnt be a good lubricant. After a few minutes sitting around the gun would be bone dry if if evaporated like zippo fluid.

The evaporation is essential for a lighter, as the flint ignited the flammable vapors over the wick, not the wick itself.

Just carry some Zippo fluid and a few Ballistol wipes and you're good.
View Quote
A wick of steel wool seems to work for lamp use.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#3]
sure.  you just have to pressurize it.  spray it into sufficient flow of air...  or better yet use liquid O2...  then get it to ignition temp...
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:22:35 AM EDT
[#4]
470NE case
Cotton gun patch
Outers gun oil

Smoky but effective small lamp.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
470NE case
Cotton gun patch
Outers gun oil

Smoky but effective small lamp.
View Quote

I've actually done that, but with a .416 Rigby case.  

Most gun oils have some type of additives that make bad smoke.  It will work, but so will a burning a Frito.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
There oil-burning inserts for UCO candle lanterns.  Having appropriate light reflectors from UCO is suggested.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've actually done that, but with a .416 Rigby case.  

Most gun oils have some type of additives that make bad smoke.  It will work, but so will a burning a Frito.
View Quote
LOL

My first one was a 416 Rigby case.

IIRC, I read that is what Selous used in his tent at night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top