Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 9:29:22 AM EDT
What filters are you using with your berkey?

A few months back someone had mentioned a brand of non OEM berkey filters that work well and a lot of members agreed.  Searched but can't find the thread, I have some aquacrest replacements but that wasn't the brand mentioned
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely interested in this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess aquacrest has been doing filters for refrigerators for awhile and it doesn't seem like their filters are bad, but shortly after purchasing I saw a thread on here about another brand and it seems like a lot of members had good experience with them.... I just can't find that thread now
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
What’s wrong w/ the Berkey brand ones?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What’s wrong w/ the Berkey brand ones?
View Quote

nothing, except for the price of the filters.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

nothing, except for the price of the filters.
View Quote

We got knock offs once and they didn’t last a year. The authentic last about 3 for us. We have the largest one and a family of 5.

I don’t remember the brand but I we went back to genuine berkey black.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah it's the price,  nothing wrong with them just like twice the price of the ones discussed.

The aquacrest are half the price but haven't heard any first hand experiences with them.  The ones I'm hunting for I think four or five members all said they worked well.

I'll try doing a deeper dive and see if I can hunt down the original thread
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I must have just dreamed it, because I can't find it for the life of me.... if anyone has used anything other than oem berkey let me know how it went
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
search Doulton candles
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#10]
How often do you guys replace your filters? We have had our Berkey for almost two years. Large family but it gets filled about once a day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How often do you guys replace your filters? We have had our Berkey for almost two years. Large family but it gets filled about once a day.
View Quote

We keep 2 filters in ours and we change about once every 3-3.5 years.  Imperial Berkey - family of 5.  We fill once every day-day and a half.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Getting off my initial question.... for those that are using berkey or similar, are you filtering questionable water or water that you think is okay to drink and just taking extra precaution?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Getting off my initial question.... for those that are using berkey or similar, are you filtering questionable water or water that you think is okay to drink and just taking extra precaution?
View Quote

Well water that is okay to drink,  but does not taste the best.   Even after a run through the whole house filter.   With the ability to filter pond/creek water if needed for a long term issue that stops the well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Is their a storage time on the unused filters?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well water that is okay to drink,  but does not taste the best.   Even after a run through the whole house filter.   With the ability to filter pond/creek water if needed for a long term issue that stops the well.
View Quote
\

Exactly the same.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]
St. Paul Mercantile has filters. I think they fit Berkey

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#17]
We have been using Propur ProBlack-BR for years, happy. Do the job. Fit our Berkey. Don't see them for sale now. We bought 8 of them originally, last 2 new ones will get put in this spring probably. Pretty sure, without going and looking, that will be 3 years. Family of 2.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a royal, and I really need to backwash my two filters. I have four in reserve.

I'd definitely be interested in a more inexpensive alternative just so long as I was sure they would work as well.

ETA All I've ever done is filter my well water. I hope that's all I ever have to do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

We use it at our cabin to filter the creek water. I have tested the creek water twice- once after 4 days of no rain and once when raining. The rain day had enough batria that I would worry about drinking it. Dry day came back fine. I dip water straight from creek, add 4 drops of bleach, let it sit for 10 min then pour in Berkey
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Katadyn ceradyn master race here.
Second set of filters put in 2013....
Used daily........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top