Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where exactly did you BUY this jewel of an LSL sill plate?
View Quote
last week: "can't find 1-1/2" poly pipe"
this week: "can't find engineered lumber"
next week: "can't find 16d common nails"

LoFL.  

just kidding with ya!

keep calling around building material places.
especially engineered lumber places.
call a builder, ask him/her where he sources it.
it's not that esoteric these days.
everyone's using it.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Found an LP product instead of Weyerhauser.  Looks like they're going go be my source for engineered lumber down here.  Nobody has it in stock, still, but at least they can get it.
View Quote
https://lpcorp.com/products/framing/lp-solidguard-lsl/

me likey!  that stuff looks as bomb-proof as the Weyerhauser equivalent.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Expansion joints happened today.

AFC sent Ian over with the awesome little saw.

In deference to truth, I should note that I tried at least three times to steal this little saw, but AFC was paying attention.

He had my number once I tried to steal a level with cool magnets in the side, a significant number of form pins, and his trackhoe.

I would have made it with the trackhoe if I'd known how to start the damn thing.  

Just sayin.

http://www.fototime.com/78CE6A57AEB47ED/standard.jpg

ETA: I traded expansion joints for a check, since AFC is, technically, finished with this job.

He still has a thing or two he promised me, plus backfill and cleanup, to finish.  

So we shall see whether his finish is as good as his start, which, if it's good, will make me recommend him to everybody I know and their friends and their friends' friends.

fingers crossed.  

It's easy to get busy and not finish as well as you start, yaknow?
View Quote
AFC should be able to knock out whatever rough  grading you have with the skid steer in just a few minutes.

Final grade with the rake if necessary.

I think you will be fine with the punch items.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@Rat_Patrol

Just wanted to follow up on this.  

Was talking with AFC about the grounding issue.  It's very interesting that the county just to the south of me (actually I live only about a mile north of that county line) requires the ufer ground.  But in MY county, the inspectors don't like it.

AFC was saying he didn't like grounding in the footer and turning the footer into "earth via the rebar rods, because he has seen lightning hit a house, blow out stuff in the house, then follow the ground rods through the footer, to the driveway, and blow out a huge chunk of driveway--threw it a few hundred feet into the neighbor's yards.

So putting horizontal rebar in a footer, to him, is like asking to have the end of your foundation blown out of your house at some point.

The local inspectors agree with him on this, and think it's a bad idea.

One county south, they are towing the line of what's the newest idea of grounding.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to have a significant opinion, but when I first started mulling the idea of turning my footers into "earth" up through the mulling I've done since, I have not been able to get my gut to buy into this.

I'm not saying it won't work.  And not saying I know more than the electricians who came up with this.

What I do know is that rods driven into the ground...those work, usually.  Often enough that we don't see many homes destroyed by lightning.

Since lightning takes the easiest path (usually) I like the path into the ground.

Years may prove I have not made the best choice.
View Quote
I think it is stupid using steel rebar, be which rusts, as grounding. 

I would have rather driven half a dozen grounding rods, but it's code up here and my hands were tied. 

Not too say I can't switch my ground point once the inspections are all done...
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ahhh...indeed.

I'm trying to figure out the minimum I can get by with for electrical inspection, so I can get them out of here and do my work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it is stupid using steel rebar, be which rusts, as grounding. 

I would have rather driven half a dozen grounding rods, but it's code up here and my hands were tied. 

Not too say I can't switch my ground point once the inspections are all done...
Ahhh...indeed.

I'm trying to figure out the minimum I can get by with for electrical inspection, so I can get them out of here and do my work.
Here that amounted to a pair of laying hens.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#12]
careful, that single axle trailer could hold far more gravel then its axle can support if you put a big box on it. One yard weights 2500-3000 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
careful, that single axle trailer could hold far more gravel then its axle can support if you put a big box on it. One yard weights 2500-3000 lbs.
View Quote
This. It will look like a miniscule amount that will seriously overload that trailer.

As in one scoop of a skid steer...
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I figured I'd have to get about three teaspoonsful at a time.  

They'll get tired of me at the gravel yard.
View Quote
Delivery out of the question?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

At $430 per load, yeah.  I don't need nearly that much, but they charge a bunch to deliver half a load, if they will even do it, as busy as they are.

The fill gravel for the foundation was delivered.  I was really glad to not have to buy a second load.
View Quote
Damn
Is it a quarry or more of a landscape supply?
Ask AFC if he has any recommendations for a hauler.
I pay $80 per hour for my trucking.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At $430 per load, yeah.  I don't need nearly that much, but they charge a bunch to deliver half a load, if they will even do it, as busy as they are.

The fill gravel for the foundation was delivered.  I was really glad to not have to buy a second load.
Damn
The cost is similar to Kittie's numbers around here for  18 to 20 tons.  There's a minimum fee and then also a distance fee  depending on the distance from the stone quarry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#21]
You can rent a sds max drill & coring bit.  I'm normally a buy once cry once guy with tools, but a harbor freight sds plus drill that you buy might not be a bad idea. With a sds plus, it won't run a 5" bit , the hole you need for 4" pipe, but you can drill a lot of smaller holes and just chisel it out. Then you can use the same drill for foundation anchors. Most have a hammer only function, which is good for chipping , scraping, etc.

If you do rent a bigger one, get the ground rod driver as well as well as the core bit.
Yes it may be fairly easy to pound down 2 rods, but I guarantee it's not as easy as getting the rod started, setting the tool on top, turning it on, and holding the rod plumb with one gloved hand while it goes down with a cup of coffee in the other.

I think you are doing incredibly well with the build considering it's complexities.

Let's look at the good things.
A- you had the sense to hire a great foundation contractor
B- you found a go to plumbing supply in my opinion based upon his advice
C-afc had enough common sense & experience to come up with a plan for shit to flow downhill.  

I'm sure there are more.

It's raining so you can take a break, focus & replan.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Why not a course or three of block and set your sill on top to bring your height up?
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why not a course or three of block and set your sill on top to bring your height up?
View Quote
i had thought about this earlier in the thread but it significantly alters how the walls and trimwork will be done out.  
i agree that it is one way to increase the sill height and prevent water ingress.  

the OP is planning on everything directly on the slab, so setting block on the slab complicates that a little bit.
i'll post a couple of pictures below of my solution in a similar situation.  
but for my project it was just a corner mudroom entrance to finish, not an entire perimeter.
i guess KwS could do it on two sides of the building, if it is practical to do so.
come up a block course or two, waterproof the shit out the exterior, and call it a day.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i had thought about this earlier in the thread but it significantly alters how the walls and trimwork will be done out.  
i agree that it is one way to increase the sill height and prevent water ingress.  

the OP is planning on everything directly on the slab, so setting block on the slab complicates that a little bit.
but for my project it was just a corner mudroom entrance to finish, not an entire perimeter.
i guess KwS could do it on two sides of the building, if it is practical to do so.
come up a block course or two, waterproof the shit out the exterior, and call it a day.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi
Edit- looks like a missed a few posts above.  Again, too slow at the keyboard

I missed the grade problem.  It looks like a fair amount of surface water is heading that way from the field too.

Except for a retaining wall I think the only option is to put a two or three courses of CMU on top of the slab like you guys mentioned. Waterproof it properly and drain tile.  If Kitties goes that route I would probably double frame/stud that wall to avoid the ledge at the interior.  It would require jamb extensions for any windows ( maybe drywall returns??? ) either way works.

Kitties, I went back to the sketch that you posted on page 4..  I noticed that you have exit doors on the left side of your sketch but none on the right side.  If you did add CMU to the long wall is it possible to pitch the water to the right and around the building, avoiding the doors?

Just knocking around ideas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You know...I have experience with a fair number of tools, but this one is new to me.  I've heard of them my whole life, but since I haven't busted my way through anything harder than 170 year-old oak (which eats homeowner grade tools like they're Doritos),  I haven't had time to look around and ask "what are the common uses for a hammer drill and why do I need one?".  I've always thought of it as sort of a baby jackhammer.
View Quote
the thing you are actually looking for is called a "rotary hammer" -- it's a hammer drill on steroids.

the traditional "3-jaw" Jacobsen style drill chuck is not well suited for hammering with.  
instead, a variety of splined chucks were designed by among others, Hilti and Bosch.
the primary difference is that the bit is not rigidly held in place by the chuck.
within the chuck the bit slides back and forth a fair amount along it's long axis; this allows the rotary hammer to accelerate ("strike and move") just the bit itself, and not the heavy chuck.
performance-wise, a rotary hammer makes a standard hammer drill look a child's toy.

the two most common chuck types for the man-portable size rotary hammers are called "SDS-Plus" and "SDS-Max".

accordingly, a rotary hammer equipped with a SDS-Max chuck accepts SDS-Max bits.  and similarly for SDS-Plus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit_shank#SDS_shank

example SDS-Plus rotary hammer:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-8-Amp-Corded-1-1-8-in-SDS-plus-Variable-Speed-Rotary-Hammer-Drill-with-Auxiliary-Handle-and-Carrying-Case-RH228VC/203104642

example SDS-Plus bit bit:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Bulldog-SDS-plus-Chisels-Carbide-Masonry-Trade-Rotary-Hammer-Bit-Set-6-Piece-HCST006/203285121

---

example SDS-Max rotary hammer:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-13-Amp-Corded-1-5-8-in-SDS-max-Variable-Speed-Rotary-Hammer-Drill-with-Auxilliary-Side-Handle-and-Carrying-Case-11264EVS/202080350

example SDS-Max bit:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-1-8-in-x-21-in-4-Cutter-SDS-MAX-Carbide-Bit-48-20-3966/203176040

as noted above, for large holes you can rent an SDS-Max rotary hammer and a large "core bit" (which as you can guess, just drills the perimeter of the hole.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-4-in-x-17-in-x-22-in-SDS-max-Carbide-Rotary-Hammer-Core-Bit-for-Masonry-and-Concrete-Drilling-HC8555/202242695

but as also noted above, you can use a hammer drill and a small masonry bit (e.g. 1/4" diameter) to make a "circle of holes" in the concrete, and then employ a brick chisel and an engineer's hammer to break out the section you need.

ar-jedi

ps
just as an aside, most rotary hammers feature a "no rotation" setting.  
this allows you to use the rotary hammer as a small jackhammer, which when combined with a chisel bit is OUTSTANDING for rehab tile jobs!

Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
But it looks like the cheaper hole saws (that's how I think of it) for concrete at 5" are more than $200 per bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But it looks like the cheaper hole saws (that's how I think of it) for concrete at 5" are more than $200 per bit.
correct, core bits are stupid expensive.  that is why you rent them unless you are drilling big holes in masonry for a living.

Quoted:
The trouble with renting is that you get tools that've had the sh*t beat out of them, and they may or may not function well.   This is troublesome, when the renter does not know what a properly functioning tool can do.
i have had no problems with the stuff i have rented from HD; in fact i rented a big ass SDS-Max rotary hammer and a 4" core bit just a couple of years ago.  it made quick work of what i was doing.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So...that's your rotary hammer?
View Quote
the rotary hammer in my pic above is as follows:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006030DQM/

that rotary hammer is an SDS-Plus tool, which you should read to mean "modest size bits and projects" -- for drilling holes up to 1" or so, and core drilling up to 3" or so.  
the next bigger size of rotary hammers uses hefty SDS-Max bits, which should read to mean "big ass size bits and projects".  

but again, another way to make a big hole in a foundation (etc): use a modest SDS-Plus rotary hammer and a 1/4" masonry bit.  just make a "circle of holes" and then get your brick chisel and engineer's hammer out and start whacking away.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-HCK001-7-Piece-SDS-plus-Rotary/dp/B0000TZYZM/
and
https://www.amazon.com/Dasco-Pro-G337-Utility-TargetGuard/dp/B0000BYCZV/

ar-jedi

ps
note germane to your project, but a hammer such as the above, set on "hammer-only" mode, and a but such as i link to below will make quick work of ANY bathroom demo project.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-HS1465-SDS-plus-Tile-Chisel/dp/B000WA99IW/
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:55:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The only problematic surface water comes from the neighbor's yard, through the chain link.  There is SOME surface water approaching the building from my yard, but mostly, it's from the neighbor's yard.  

MOST of the surface water from the neighbor's yard, and ALL the water from my yard, drains down to the pond in the back.  That is the natural flow of surface water for the land around me.

Or it SHOULD drain that direction.

Now it will drain down to the ditch beside the NEW neighbor's driveway behind me.

Driveway is Visible in this photo, but it's cropped.  The drop is sharper and the pond is behind the back end of the truck.  

http://www.fototime.com/13827942E42E1BC/standard.jpg

Hopefully, at some point, if the neighbor handles his water movement right and cleans out his ditch, all this water will go into his pond, as it has for the last 170 years. (The bricks in my chimneys are made from mud out of that pond, mixed with hog hair).  His drainage ditch is now full of clay mud, since he failed to secure the piles of dirt that were uphill from that ditch, when he was building.  He installed his driveway, packed the hell out of it, dug the nice ditches on the sides, then did nothing to keep them from filling with clay when it rained.

Neighbor WANTS more water in that pond, so no problem.  He's going to get WAY more than he planned, since we've had two dry years, and he built based on that, and ignored my advice that the whole area down there will turn to mush.  (I told him he was building in a flood zone.  He did not listen.  I can't do more than that.  You can't fix stupid and I will not spend time trying.)  Now he's got his own new roof, and he's going to have MY new roof, all pouring onto his property via the slope that Mother Nature provided.  

My only issue is the water coming downhill from the neighbor's yard.   I've NEVER had a mushy back yard, but the spot in the middle of my back yard is the low spot on the property.  My house sits on the hump.  Slopes down toward the front and down toward the back, the way all smart people built houses, according to my dad and grandfather.

I believe my drains and waterproofing the existing foundation will take care of it.

If I'm wrong, y'all will hear about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit- looks like a missed a few posts above.  Again, too slow at the keyboard

I missed the grade problem.  It looks like a fair amount of surface water is heading that way from the field too.

Except for a retaining wall I think the only option is to put a two or three courses of CMU on top of the slab like you guys mentioned. Waterproof it properly and drain tile.  If Kitties goes that route I would probably double frame/stud that wall to avoid the ledge at the interior.  It would require jamb extensions for any windows ( maybe drywall returns??? ) either way works.

Kitties, I went back to the sketch that you posted on page 4..  I noticed that you have exit doors on the left side of your sketch but none on the right side.  If you did add CMU to the long wall is it possible to pitch the water to the right and around the building, avoiding the doors?

Just knocking around ideas.
The only problematic surface water comes from the neighbor's yard, through the chain link.  There is SOME surface water approaching the building from my yard, but mostly, it's from the neighbor's yard.  

MOST of the surface water from the neighbor's yard, and ALL the water from my yard, drains down to the pond in the back.  That is the natural flow of surface water for the land around me.

Or it SHOULD drain that direction.

Now it will drain down to the ditch beside the NEW neighbor's driveway behind me.

Driveway is Visible in this photo, but it's cropped.  The drop is sharper and the pond is behind the back end of the truck.  

http://www.fototime.com/13827942E42E1BC/standard.jpg

Hopefully, at some point, if the neighbor handles his water movement right and cleans out his ditch, all this water will go into his pond, as it has for the last 170 years. (The bricks in my chimneys are made from mud out of that pond, mixed with hog hair).  His drainage ditch is now full of clay mud, since he failed to secure the piles of dirt that were uphill from that ditch, when he was building.  He installed his driveway, packed the hell out of it, dug the nice ditches on the sides, then did nothing to keep them from filling with clay when it rained.

Neighbor WANTS more water in that pond, so no problem.  He's going to get WAY more than he planned, since we've had two dry years, and he built based on that, and ignored my advice that the whole area down there will turn to mush.  (I told him he was building in a flood zone.  He did not listen.  I can't do more than that.  You can't fix stupid and I will not spend time trying.)  Now he's got his own new roof, and he's going to have MY new roof, all pouring onto his property via the slope that Mother Nature provided.  

My only issue is the water coming downhill from the neighbor's yard.   I've NEVER had a mushy back yard, but the spot in the middle of my back yard is the low spot on the property.  My house sits on the hump.  Slopes down toward the front and down toward the back, the way all smart people built houses, according to my dad and grandfather.

I believe my drains and waterproofing the existing foundation will take care of it.

If I'm wrong, y'all will hear about it.
That's good to hear, you're there, I/we aren't.  Looking ahead, are you comfortable with the clearance between the wood siding and the finish grade?  If you will have about 8" or more of clearance between the finish grade and the bottom of the wood siding that sounds good, to me...

Back to the concrete drilling tools.  If not drilling concrete for a living, I would rent a rotary hammer capable of turning a 5" core bit to punch a hole in the septic tank.  It's  almost 1K to purchase a good rotary hammer ( along with it being physically heavy ), for a few solid bits and large core bit.  I've done both, the core bit and a series of small holes, then trying to punch out the center.  Both can be physically demanding horizontally and doable but the 5" the core bit is much less of a pita.  But if you do decide to use a series of small holes and punching out the center I would start with a 6" circle because because the chipping bit, to connect the small holes, tends to ride towards the center of the hole reducing the opening size.  

Personally, I would purchase a mid-sized rotary hammer as mentioned above.  Though I have a spline drive 1.5" rotary hammer ( a fantastic tool ) the many SDS versions is the current trend in the trades.  A mid-sized ( 1" solid bit rating ) SDS rotary hammer would be nice to have for your sill anchor bolts and moderate sized in your future.  Not too hard on the wallet but very capable.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got it. Thank you.

As to the grade, I dont' think I'll know whether I'm comfortable with it until I get the drains in.

I think I'm going to not fill with soil, but just gravel, to create a gravel swale (sort of)  with perf pipe on that most troublesome side of the building.  With gravel actually ON the footer, and rubber membrane, I think I'll be okay.  The siding will NOT be 8" above the gravel, probably.

AFC actually brought me some super-stick roofing edge membrane that he suggested using to wrap around that low side since I'm worried. (He's not worried.)  He suggested wrapping it over top of the rubber membrane I paint on.  That would come up the side of the sill like a flashing, sort of.  He had the roll left over from a job he did a year ago and thought it might be helpful so he gave it to me.

While I'm considering that, I'm uncomfortable plastering something against the sill itself that would prevent water EGRESS as well as ingress.  I've just seen a lot of rot where people put stuff up against wood.

I dunno.  I'm mulling while I'm on this edit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear, you're there, I/we aren't.  Looking ahead, are you comfortable with the clearance between the wood siding and the finish grade?  If you will have about 8" or more of clearance between the finish grade and the bottom of the wood siding that sounds good, to me...

Back to the concrete drilling tools.  If not drilling concrete for a living, I would rent a rotary hammer capable of turning a 5" core bit to punch a hole in the septic tank.  It's  almost 1K to purchase a good rotary hammer ( along with it being physically heavy ), for a few solid bits and large core bit.  I've done both, the core bit and a series of small holes, then trying to punch out the center.  Both can be physically demanding horizontally and doable but the 5" the core bit is much less of a pita.  But if you do decide to use a series of small holes and punching out the center I would start with a 6" circle because because the chipping bit, to connect the small holes, tends to ride towards the center of the hole reducing the opening size.  

Personally, I would purchase a mid-sized rotary hammer as mentioned above.  Though I have a spline drive 1.5" rotary hammer ( a fantastic tool ) the many SDS versions is the current trend in the trades.  A mid-sized ( 1" solid bit rating ) SDS rotary hammer would be nice to have for your sill anchor bolts and moderate sized in your future.  Not too hard on the wallet but very capable.
Got it. Thank you.

As to the grade, I dont' think I'll know whether I'm comfortable with it until I get the drains in.

I think I'm going to not fill with soil, but just gravel, to create a gravel swale (sort of)  with perf pipe on that most troublesome side of the building.  With gravel actually ON the footer, and rubber membrane, I think I'll be okay.  The siding will NOT be 8" above the gravel, probably.

AFC actually brought me some super-stick roofing edge membrane that he suggested using to wrap around that low side since I'm worried. (He's not worried.)  He suggested wrapping it over top of the rubber membrane I paint on.  That would come up the side of the sill like a flashing, sort of.  He had the roll left over from a job he did a year ago and thought it might be helpful so he gave it to me.

While I'm considering that, I'm uncomfortable plastering something against the sill itself that would prevent water EGRESS as well as ingress.  I've just seen a lot of rot where people put stuff up against wood.

I dunno.  I'm mulling while I'm on this edit.
I understand your concern.  The ability to let moisture/vapor escape from the interior is important.  Predicting the dew point in a wall cavity is difficult.  I had a hard time when the trades started using non-permeable membranes because we're taught to let vapor out of the building.  Personally, I wouldn't be as concerned at your building as I would be at a church with 2K members in the pews on Sunday.  At your building, there will be a lot of surface area above the membrane to let moist vapor out through a permeable house wrap.  AFC sounds like a good crew but I would use a membrane in this instance because there is no other option to protect the structure.  The wood siding / skin is a separate concern.

FWIW, I've seen those gravel to the surface drain systems.  Glad you thought of it, they work very well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The guys at my favorite building supply are talking to me about the Zip system, since plywood and OSB are at 17.00 per sheet and the Zip is only $20 per sheet.

That does not account for the Zip tape of course, but it also doesn't account for house wrap.  (They say the Zip system is complete in itself.)

When I take them my list, they will price it out both ways.

Any of you have experience with Zip house envelopes?
View Quote
I don't.  I'm seeing it more frequently on commercial projects and few residential.

Since you mentioned here, I've been trying to learn more about it.  Apparently it uses the same resin that is in AdvanTech floor sheathing.  Good stuff.

If you want, I have three youtube videos that you may find interesting but don't want to clutter your thread.  Two of them are amusing, Tyvek and Huber ( the maker of ZIP ) are trying to discredit the others product.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Most people run like hell and don’t come back when a septic tank is being opened up. I’m sure he was surprised when you came back, much less stuck your head over the hole to get a measurement. More so when you were the plumber on the job.

As far as the drill goes, that is a baby sds designed for a 5/8” bit. It will still be better than any regular hammer drill for the anchor bolts.
If you can borrow a sds max drill I can send you a ground rod driver & coring bit to borrow.
You can rent a core bit & drill as well.
This is why I recommended the harbor freight tools.
If you can borrow a sds max I would buy the sds plus to drill all the holes.
If you can’t borrow , or rent , buy the sds max and get an adapter to adapt to the plus size bits.

Harbor freight sds

Harbor freight sds max
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted: ...<snip>

Him:  points to the spots.  Then proceeds to tell me how to use a water hose and a jet nozzle to clean out my own drain.

Dude finishes sucking the poop out of my tank, and spends 30 extra minutes (AFter I'd given him his money) talking to me about septic systems, how they work, what's bullshit and what's not, and how to cut into mine.  He also explained to me how my system APPEARS to be in good shape, but it's at the cost of my lateral lines (this he determines after questioning me about how we use water.)  

View Quote
Following this thread keenly, love it.  

I'm getting into my first experience w/ septic and wonder how he determined problems about water use?  

Also, buying a place that has been vacant for 2-3 years.  Is there anything I need to do to re-initiate the system?  

Hope this isn't too much of a hijack of your thread.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Going back through all these posts now. It's raining here, so I'm not going to be physically on that job today, and likely not tomorrow.

As examples of my tool buying mentality:

I am buying an $850  tile saw because it will make me cuss a lot less than some unstable POS I get for half the money, because I have a lot of tile to lay on at least three projects.  I can then sell that saw for a decent chunk of the original price once I'm done, if I decide I'm not going to lay a lot of tile again.  I'm ALSO considering buying a little shark "rip saw" for tile because I have an entire pallet of 8 X 48 tile to lay, and I anticipate having to rip enough of those to make it worth the cost.  Again, it's the "don't want to cuss at it," component.   That's over a thousand dollars on tile saws so I don't cuss more and ruin more material than necessary.

BUT--
I am buying my framing gun from Lowe's--Bostitch probably (since I already own their mid-size nailer)-- rather than going for a hard-core pro variety, because I'm not framing every day and once this building is up, they'll sit in the cases most of the time, and these tools run well enough for what I need.

I bought Harbor Freight Angle grinders because I don't use them much. (If I start using an angle grinder a lot, and these piss me off, I'll go buy a better one, but by that time I will *KNOW* what I want and what I hate. )  

Sawzall?  Porter Cable corded, back before Black and Decker took Porter Cable the way of all companies.  20 years later, with a taped up cord, it's still a monster.   (20 years ago, cordless tools were not viable for  hard use.  This appears to have changed.)

Given that general "philosophy" of "buy once cry once" when it's a tool that gets used a lot,  I've got some questions about this hammer drill thing.

From this post by ar-jedi  he said this..

That is a very attractive option. I have some of these tile rehab jobs coming up.   I have now been through all of your links.  I see on the rotary hammer you linked on amazon, that at the bottom of that page they note "there is a new model available."  It's less money and I can't quite tell that I'm looking at apples to apples in this case, especially since they're adding fun names like "SDS plus Extreme Max"!!!!! to their new model. Let's confuse the clueless customer, shall we?  Here is the link to the "new" model they show on the same page as your hammer.  
New model!  SDS PLUS EXTREME MAX OMG AWESOME SOUNDING THING!!!

billhw1 says:

Handy Dave said:

I checked these links and read some of the reviews.

Questions:

1-The more expensive of the Harbor Freight tools is only $100 less than the "smaller" Bosch tools  linked above.  I'm not into dropping extra money for a tool I'll hardly use, and those low prices are VERY attractive, HOWEVER--while I can't drop the $550 for the big nice "Max" Bosch in the earlier link, I COULD buy the one for $230.  Maybe.

Am I looking at apples-apples as far as "capability" even if maybe not "quality or longevity"?

2-I like that the Harbor Freight tools are shaped like "drills" instead of the sawzall shape.  That seems easier to manage, to me, especially for applications like setting anchors through the mudsill.  But maybe not?
Does this configuration make it less useful as the tile chisel ar-jedi mentioned?

3-billhw1 mentioned a 1" solid bit rating
A lot of terms have been thrown around, and I'm obviously not looking at the same characteristics that make a regular old drill work or not work.  I will do my own looking to see if I can sort this stuff out, but since y'all know what you're looking at,  if you have personal "minimums" for making a rotary hammer worthy of purchase, please share those?
View Quote
The Milwaukee that you mentioned above on the 29th is rated for a 5/8" solid bit.  That should take care of most folks needs and for your your sill plate anchors.  It wont turn a 5" core bit for your septic tank ( it would get hot and die ) but you can rent something for that particular hole.  The majority of rotary hammers have a drill and hammer function and less frequently, a drill only function.  The particular drill that you linked to doesn't appear to have the "hammer only" function.  If that's not a concern of yours it doesn't matter.

Core bits have less friction than solid bits and because of that a drill that is rated for a 1.5" solid bit ( my rotary hammer ) can be also rated for a 5", more or less, core bit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Absolutely not.

Here's what he said--  .... <snip>

My gut  (and I did not like this guy at all when he first showed up) tells me he is NOT full of shit, and that he was telling me this because he knew I was interested and would listen.  He told me a bunch of other stuff about septic, setup, what's code bullshit and what makes sense, exactly how to drill through my tank and the options for how I could put the pipe in, AND he told me to shove the pipe into the tank a foot or two.  I did not get the sense that he was giving me the spiel  to keep the customer in the money train.

I had always heard the "3-4 year ish" numbers, but nobody had ever explained it in a way that made sense and I could believe.

ETA:  I understood him to mean that, the higher you let that sludge layer get, the more solids get out into the lateral lines.  It makes sense to me.  "Get the tank pumped to remove that sludge layer every 3-4 years or so.

Honestly, it'll also keep you from forgetting where your tank is, exactly.

If I had the property you have, I would first:

1-Find the septic system.  (You know how to look at the ground and ID your lateral lines? IF you have lines. I'm assuming you probably do)

2-Determine how big the system is and what shape it's in.  

3-Have it pumped.  This will probably take care of #s 1 and 2 for you.  But I would try to be out there when the pump truck arrives, so you can talk to them and ask questions about your system.

I would ask around in the area for who is good and who is not.  Once you find ONE good handyman, plumber or electrician, my way is to ask them a lot of questions, because they all know each other, and the good ones will not recommend another professional who is not also a good pro in his field. (But you have to find the first good one.  Since you don't live there full time, that's harder.)

ETA:  You will probably know how well the septic is working by flushing a few times, including solids.  

I forgot to mention that he said whatever toilet paper I was using, that I should keep using that, because he did not notice a lot of paper buildup, which means it's dissolving the way it should.
FWIW, I use the Sam's Club Member's Mark paper that I buy in the gazillion-roll packs. (I hate runnin' out of toilet paper.)  It's soft, 2-ply, and it's less expensive bought in bulk.

ETA2:  I would be remiss if I did not mention.....if this is a very old property, you may run into God-only-knows-what in use as septic.    When we bought this place, the existing septic was a 55 gallon drum that had long-since collapsed and was not funcitoning.  Nobody had lived here to flush a lot, apparently, for a few years.  Because all there was, were some old clay tiles running into the back yard, and THAT was functioning as the septic I guess.  The gray water from the kitchen sink was running through an old black poly pipe out into the back yard, where it proceeded to slant UPWARD, so the first time I dumped two gallons of water down the sink, that pipe filled up and overflowed into the cabinet base under the sink.  (Yep, that's right. The poly pipe was not even actually attached to the sink drain.)  

Until you get there and start using that house and poking around, you won't know what you've got.  If you have to replace the septic system, that needs to go EARLY on your list of priorities, so you can get it in the ground and get moving on other stuff, and not have to dig that up later.
View Quote
Thanks Kitties

Much Appreciated

RR
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top