User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I currently have both. I just got the HS2 so I don't have a lot of TX time with it. That said -

For voice or CW, I think the G90 would be easier to use, and probably a little more rugged (but bigger and heavier, if you're hiking up.)

For digital modes the HS2 wins hands down just due to integration. The HS2 is much smaller and lighter as well.

The G90 is basically a voice-only rig so you'll need an interface box, associated cables and then a CAT cable if you want computer control.

G90 uses a "real" microphone (IIRC I think it's Icom compatible) and the HS2 uses a tiny tiny mic with a 1/8" TRS plug.

If you planned to do anything besides HF, the HS2 is going to win there as well. You can pretty much dial any freq you're authorized for up to 1.6 GHz and it will work. I haven't tested the tuners out to see if they're similar ranges, power output etc.

Fairly sure I'll be selling my G90 since I'm a digital mode guy and I like compact equipment where I mostly use a computer to operate it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any thoughts on this vs the Xiegu G90 for portable / QRP / SOTA operation?

I currently have both. I just got the HS2 so I don't have a lot of TX time with it. That said -

For voice or CW, I think the G90 would be easier to use, and probably a little more rugged (but bigger and heavier, if you're hiking up.)

For digital modes the HS2 wins hands down just due to integration. The HS2 is much smaller and lighter as well.

The G90 is basically a voice-only rig so you'll need an interface box, associated cables and then a CAT cable if you want computer control.

G90 uses a "real" microphone (IIRC I think it's Icom compatible) and the HS2 uses a tiny tiny mic with a 1/8" TRS plug.

If you planned to do anything besides HF, the HS2 is going to win there as well. You can pretty much dial any freq you're authorized for up to 1.6 GHz and it will work. I haven't tested the tuners out to see if they're similar ranges, power output etc.

Fairly sure I'll be selling my G90 since I'm a digital mode guy and I like compact equipment where I mostly use a computer to operate it.
Thanks, I'm not really interested in digital right now so it sounds like the G90 might be a better bet for me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I've verified a source that has stock available.

Banggood has a black version available. Also the blue one, which is on back order.
https://www.banggood.com/Ultra-portable-Ham-Radio-Transceiver-HF-VHF-UHF-SDR-Radio-Receiving-Frequency-300kHz1_6GHz-Amateur-transmission-band-160m70cm-p-1813365.html

I ordered one a week or so ago, it arrived today, the box it is in says Q900 as does the menu.
It looks to be the same transceiver. $682 delivered and it took 8 days to arrive.
The website on the box for the Q900P: http://www.guohedz.com

It successfully upgraded to the latest firmware for the HS-2, V1.3.5.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Any updates on the HS2? @mancow have you resolved the display durability issue?

I am going to be in the market for something like this, and since I am doing some SOTA having a single box in the backpack would be pretty nice...
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any updates on the HS2? @mancow have you resolved the display durability issue?

I am going to be in the market for something like this, and since I am doing some SOTA having a single box in the backpack would be pretty nice...
View Quote

They issued some new firmware recently that addresses some issues and adds more HF digital modes capability.

As for the display I haven't made a protector yet but need to add I fear it breaking if I just throw it in a pack and something hit it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the update.

Yeah that could be a big issue for me. It is close to the unicorn radio though, and half the cost of an Icom 705. How is display visibility in full sunlight?

I need to get something with 2m SSB. I'm done with the FT817/8 rigs, so that pretty much leaves the HS2 or 705 as my only options.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I need to get something with 2m SSB. I'm done with the FT817/8 rigs, so that pretty much leaves the HS2 or 705 as my only options.
View Quote

IC-7100

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

IC-7100

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IC-7100

I should clarify, I plan on carrying it miles up and down mountains. A 7100 would be perfect at home
or in a vehicle though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update.

Yeah that could be a big issue for me. It is close to the unicorn radio though, and half the cost of an Icom 705. How is display visibility in full sunlight?

View Quote

Not sure on the sunlight readability. I'll have to check and report back. Mine has been a shack unit so far.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got a DHL notice and it shows it should be here Monday. The Ailunce account shows status as shipped too.

Now I wait... I hope it's worth it.
View Quote

DHL is weird. The 320 came from England

I was given a date and tracked it. It bumped around a couple times in England, sat around a couple more days and BAM! It was in Ohio in a heartbeat and from Ohio to my place it just took a few hours. It was like the truck in Ohio was sent straight to my place and the driver was racing like he was driving an Indy car.

Very strange.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was given a date and tracked it. It bumped around a couple times in England, sat around a couple more days and BAM! It was in Ohio in a heartbeat and from Ohio to my place it just took a few hours. It was like the truck in Ohio was sent straight to my place and the driver was racing like he was driving an Indy car.

Very strange.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got a DHL notice and it shows it should be here Monday. The Ailunce account shows status as shipped too.

Now I wait... I hope it's worth it.

Very strange.

I had a similar experience when ordering from Codan in Australia.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not sure on the sunlight readability. I'll have to check and report back. Mine has been a shack unit so far.
View Quote

Thanks. Looks like Radioddity might have a version too QR-20
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top