Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/15/2020 10:03:47 AM EDT
I'm hoping they can ship them soon. I pre-ordered in early May.

https://www.facebook.com/ailunce/

User Manual

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Impressive!

RX: 300kHz-1.6GHz
TX: 160m-70cm
Input Voltage: 5VDC-32VDC
Output: 2W @ 5VDC, 30W @ 13.8VDC, 5W VHF/UHF
RX Current: 350ma typical, 450ma max

GPS
UTC Clock
Internal tuner (160m-6m)
<1kg
AM, FM, CW, SSB, Digital modes (including LoRa)
Waterfall display
Noise Blanker & Noise Reducer
Bluetooth
etc. etc. etc.

Any idea what the "Doppler Frequency Tracking" is? Something to keep you tuned for satellites?

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Impressive!

RX: 300kHz-1.6GHz
TX: 160m-70cm
Input Voltage: 5VDC-32VDC
Output: 2W @ 5VDC, 30W @ 13.8VDC, 5W VHF/UHF
RX Current: 350ma typical, 450ma max

GPS
UTC Clock
Internal tuner (160m-6m)
<1kg
AM, FM, CW, SSB, Digital modes (including LoRa)
Waterfall display
Noise Blanker & Noise Reducer
Bluetooth
etc. etc. etc.

Any idea what the "Doppler Frequency Tracking" is? Something to keep you tuned for satellites?

View Quote

I believe that's what the doppler is for.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Neat, looking forward to see how this shakes out.  The Chinese SDR radios can be a bit quirky, but they do work.

Take one of these and paint the case OD green and you might have the solution for the mythical Arfcom portable "perfect radio".
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Neat, looking forward to see how this shakes out.  The Chinese SDR radios can be a bit quirky, but they do work.

Take one of these and paint the case OD green and you might have the solution for the mythical Arfcom portable "perfect radio".
View Quote

Right!

It sucks is Chinese but they seem to be the only people innovating anymore.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]
That looks really interesting.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Are they getting type acceptance? I could easily see that radio in my future.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
30w out at 13.8v with 5 amp current draw is pretty dang good. Tougher manpack style front panel, IPX rating, and internal batteries, and we would have the unicorn.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Right!

It sucks is Chinese but they seem to be the only people innovating anymore.
View Quote

China doesn't innovate...they steal and replicate.

What is the cost?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What is the cost?
View Quote

$500
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
$500 seems to be a fair price.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Couldn’t find it in the manual so I’m guessing no, but does anyone know if it’ll do full duplex?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$500. Yikes! I would want to see the RX specs before I lay down that much for it.

ETA - OK, I followed the link above for the specs.
View Quote

I’ll wait for QST or another lab to publish some measurements. As Baofeng has shown us, Chinesium radio specification claims are largely for entertainment value only.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an Ailunce HD1 DMR HT and it's a solid, well built and designed radio despite being a Chinese company. Hope this radio is built to the same quality level.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an Ailunce HD1 DMR HT and it's a solid, well built and designed radio despite being a Chinese company. Hope this radio is built to the same quality level.
View Quote

That radio is probably the most popular DMR HT with the hams in my club. Followed by the 878 and then the MD380.

I hope this shakes out as it has lots of potential. Wish it looked a bit more rugged.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That radio is probably the most popular DMR HT with the hams in my club. Followed by the 878 and then the MD380.

I hope this shakes out as it has lots of potential. Wish it looked a bit more rugged.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on some email chain for DMR- still don't know how.... Anyway, the 878 seems to be the most popular in that group.  I've never seen any questions (or problems) with the HD1, and as far as I can tell I'm the only one that has one.  My codeplug sits on the server untouched.

Yes, the HD1 is a pretty solid radio.  If I were to peel the Ailunce plate off the front and put a Motorola decal in its place, all but the most hardcore /\/\ fans would believe it.  

I'll be watching this radio.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

It actually depends on the specs.  The Chinese will build as quality or as cheaply as you want.

I remember reading that some Chinese iPhone copies were actually better quality than the phones that Apple was selling!
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It actually depends on the specs.  The Chinese will build as quality or as cheaply as you want.
View Quote
This

"You tell specs, pay money, we make."
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm on some email chain for DMR- still don't know how.... Anyway, the 878 seems to be the most popular in that group.  I've never seen any questions (or problems) with the HD1, and as far as I can tell I'm the only one that has one.  My codeplug sits on the server untouched.

Yes, the HD1 is a pretty solid radio.  If I were to peel the Ailunce plate off the front and put a Motorola decal in its place, all but the most hardcore /\/\ fans would believe it.  

View Quote

I have an HD1, pretty sure I downloaded your codeplug from the PNW DMR group after I got it.....
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have an HD1, pretty sure I downloaded your codeplug from the PNW DMR group after I got it.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it was all worthwhile!

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a DHL notice and it shows it should be here Monday. The Ailunce account shows status as shipped too.

Now I wait... I hope it's worth it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#24]
OST.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got a DHL notice and it shows it should be here Monday. The Ailunce account shows status as shipped too.

Now I wait... I hope it's worth it.
View Quote

I wonder if it will come via a slow boat from China.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#26]
It arrived this afternoon. Due to being busy I just now got a bit of time to mess with it. Here's what I've gathered so far.

I comes in a neat little gun case like plastic box with fitted foam. Mine came with the bluetooth mic which was part of a presale perk. It also came with a really tiny microphone that looks like something for a model display. It came with a USB C cable and a typical barrel type power cable with raw leads and a manual.

The radio itself feels and looks really well made. The body is one piece of extruded aluminum anodized square tubing with vent channels along each side bottom. The keypad is backlit and the display is very clear and bright. The audio is decent for the size with a top firing speaker. There are two cooling fans to the rear of each side. The front has an earphone and mic jack (both headphone sized). The rear has quite a few ports, USB a, USB C, UHF for RF, ethernet, GPS, power and ground stud. I put a 4 foot whip on it with a UHF elbow and it's solid with no case flex.

The menu is surprisingly refined visually with clear icons for various functions and slider type bars. It tunes similar to a military PRC-148 or Micom where you arrow over and incriment the values, or you can just direct keyboard enter it, it also has band selections, again similar to an IC-7300. It has a pretty effective DSP noise filter and get this, an internal tuner. Hold the tune button like an IC-7300 and it moves to CW and tunes. RF can be either 5 watts low up to 30 high with a percent value similar to the IC-7300 again. The SDR waterfall is only 48k wide but is surprisingly fast and detailed. I could spot signals in the 40 meter band pretty easily and tune to them.

I stll haven't figured out the bluetooth mic. The instructions don't really say how to pair it and the bluetooth menu doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The mic charges by the USB C cable as well. It also has an FM broadcast mode which works really well and there is an icon that seems to reference an MP3 type player but again, not sure yet how that works. Ther are several other menus like, phone Q Chat and message. I don't have the little module installed for that but might get it later if possible. I could have added it at purchase but didn't, probably should have. It also has a rough GPS lat long menu giving heading and speed and what not.

It has a real wide voltage operating range, like up to 36 volts. This wll be perfec to pair with a PRC-148 battery with the power tap adapter or a BB-2590. It should run for ages off one of those. Here are some pics.

I mean it's like a tiny little PRC-117F or something. It's freakin crazy, 300kHz to like 1.7 GHz. I'll add more info as I learn.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh boy
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Cool.

Any chance of some videos?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh boy
View Quote

order 2, I'm still good on the Zed
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, that is small.  

I see this in a lot of future EMCOMM builds, especially with the wide voltage range.

Something like that could get me into HF even...
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#33]
That is really cool.  I look forward to hearing more about how it works in reality.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cool.

Any chance of some videos?
View Quote

If I can get some time soon...
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That is really cool.  I look forward to hearing more about how it works in reality.
View Quote

Exactly, specs VS reality.

The reality is there is still work to be done. It says it has channel memory but I can't find it. Also says ctcss but the menu is not there. I saw a FB group where someone else was complaining of that. I read that they will release more FW and SW sometime soon.

Right now it's more like geared toward HF.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The reality is there is still work to be done. It says it has channel memory but I can't find it. Also says ctcss but the menu is not there. I saw a FB group where someone else was complaining of that. I read that they will release more FW and SW sometime soon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even as just an HF rig the price point is pretty interesting.

Have you dared try their app to manage it?
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No because I can't find it. From what time I had to read up on it (been crazy busy lately and a 2.5 year decided bed time was not an option last night). It appears the app is not released yet. Someone mentioned it being released next month. It is controllable with CAT commands and I think they said it uses ICOM cat commands but have to check. It can be controlled from Ham Radio Deluxe or other similar software though from again what I saw on a FB group. Of course, I took it to work to dick around with on the desk then came home for lunch and everyone is gone. I could have had an hour to mess with it more but I left it there. I found a FW loader which appears to just be the regular STM-32 processor loader but haven't found any newer FW floating around yet either.

I'm going to dig around for my MBITR battery to 2.5mm power plug adapter and see what type of power I get out with one of those. A guy reported it only put out around 17 watts instead of 30. I'm wondering if that's a voltage thing and it doesn't crank out more unless there is a higher voltage. That again would make it a prime candidate for a military BB-250 as those run around 16.5 volts per A/B side of the battery although they are referred to as 12 v. Some of the hobby aircraft/car higher voltage batteries might work well too and are small.

As cool as it is if someone would just stack the keyboard squares, put the display above it and a speaker grill and shove it into a Motorola MX-300 sized body (even extruded aluminum similar to what it is now) with a volume, VFO and PL on the top, to make a large handheld configuration, it would be the absolute shit. They couldn't keep them on the shelves.

Once I get it figured out more I want to build up a small frame of some sort with side handles and an L bracket to hold the PL connector to the side of the front and a battery on the bottom similar to what others have done with the larger radios. I was sort of brainstorming visualizing ideas in bed trying to think of what would work. A solid box would need air flow due to the side mounted fans.

Also, the fans are sort of noisy which is a bit of a drag. I suppose 30w is a bit of heat to try to dissipate from that small a body. There is a menu setting in there about when they turn on but I'm not sure to what temp or whatever the numbers relate to so I didn't mess with it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I found all the mil battery stuff. Can try running off an mbitr battery or daisy chain two adapters and go to a BB-2590.

Will see later tonight what the power out is at 16v

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh it does have TX/RX ctcss. You have to push and hold SPLIT. It even has the military 150.0.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Hope you enjoy it...   Jim
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#41]
After getting some time I suggest you skip this for now. Hopefully they release some firmware and tuning tools but as of now it's not ready for release.

The messed up the bandsplits.
You can't transmit above 7.1 in the 40 meter band.
You can't transmit below 51 in the 6 meter band.
10 meter SSB is messed up and appears that LSB/USB are swapped and bit off freq.
The power is lower than rated in some bands. I was able to get about 27 watts out on high with a 16 volt battery but others were around 13 watts. I don't have a chart of which freqs yet.

It does seem to have a great receiver. I was listening to some 33 Mhz skip earlier off a local groundplane antenna and also watching on a remote SDR hooked to a real lowband antenna at about 80 feet. The little Ailunce was holding its own and actually better than the big tower setup at times.

If they don't abandon it and they clean up some of their mistakes it will be a winner.

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
After getting some time I suggest you skip this for now. Hopefully they release some firmware and tuning tools but as of now it's not ready for release.

10 meter SSB is messed up and appears that LSB/USB are swapped and bit off freq.
The power is lower than rated in some bands. I was able to get about 27 watts out on high with a 16 volt battery but others were around 13 watts. I don't have a chart of which freqs yet.

It does seem to have a great receiver. I was listening to some 33 Mhz skip earlier off a local groundplane antenna and also watching on a remote SDR hooked to a real lowband antenna at about 80 feet. The little Ailunce was holding its own and actually better than the big tower setup at times.

If they don't abandon it and they clean up some of their mistakes it will be a winner.

View Quote
Interesting.

On the power output, does it have adjustable softpots for the power output?  The McHF clones have that in the settings menu and allows you to fine-tune the power out at the various settings.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Firmware is the devil...and sadly even the big three ham manufactures seem to have issues on the first release.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Interesting.

On the power output, does it have adjustable softpots for the power output?  The McHF clones have that in the settings menu and allows you to fine-tune the power out at the various settings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

It has a power percentage adjustment but no Motorola tuner type adjustment. I'm sure the manufacturer must have some type of tool.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I joined the groups io for it. Yolanda the English speaking rep has been gathering reports of issues to take back to the engineers so at least they seem proactive and responsive.

I was able to get around 37 watts out using a BB-2590 but the trade off is the radio sees the higher supply voltage and disables TX on the VHF/UHF bands. I reported that as well.
If they get the issues resolved it will be a good all around knock around unit to drag out to the field.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#46]
It looks promising if updates and fixes are added to the next firmware. Solar Cycle 25 is coming around, so it might be good times to come for HF.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#47]
The company rep claims they are fixing most of that in a new FW release next week. We'll see...
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#48]
They have been good at working on issues, they issued a firmware update and are working on another. I just made a 20 meter contact a bit ago. This thing is a blast.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They have been good at working on issues, they issued a firmware update and are working on another. I just made a 20 meter contact a bit ago. This thing is a blast.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/168134/20200815_185044_jpg-1548005.JPG
View Quote

Good to hear they are working on the issues.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#50]
They fixed some incorrect band edges but still need to do more. The representative said they are testing another version and will send it to me when done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top