Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2021 12:40:45 PM EDT
So I have a few ifaks that are fully stocked with the essentials. Instead of stockpiling more supplies that will be more redundancy and expire in 5 years all at the same time, I’m looking to build an expanded after care kit. I’m looking for  ideas of what should go in it besides the obvious extra gauze, ace wraps and booboo kit items.

All my ifaks have the required items
2 vented halo/hyfin chest seals
Quikclot combat gauze
2 compressed gauze
Israeli bandage
Cat tourniquet

The way I’ve set my stuff up is I have a smaller ifak for my line 1 gear(smaller as in compact chest seals and 4” t3 pressure bandage), a redundant ifak on my line 2. One kit is only designed to get me to a bigger kit. Ifaks to my backpack kit, backpack kit to a medical treatment facility( or anything that resembles it). Any help setting up the more extensive packs would be a big help.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean by an after care kit?

Like, what you use after using an IFAK?

I understand the bigger kit idea, just not sure the end goal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you mean by an after care kit?

Like, what you use after using an IFAK?

I understand the bigger kit idea, just not sure the end goal.
View Quote

Essentially yes. The ifak is to keep you from dying basically, and a boo boo kit for the minor scraps, cuts and discomforts.  Without stocking a small clinic, what could/would you keep in a pack with more room but still mobile that would be great to have on hand?

I realize that there is only so much that you can take care of in the field. I’m just looking to build up the kits I have to assist in the care of someone.

I guess my idea would be a lot more gauze, dressings, bottles of alcohol/peroxide, a rope stretcher, suture material, redundant ifak supplies.

We have a standard for ifak supplies that most ppl go by(some ppl add or strip a couple items), I was looking for what guys carried to supplement what you have on hand in smaller kits. I have an good idea of what this larger kit should contain but I’m just tryin to get more insight from others.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
What's your level of training?  

For example, sutures aren't hard, but doing surgery -basically cutting and sewing - is.  If someone is shot in the torso,  a bag of gauze and peroxide probably won't cut it.

I'd have a splint, some ACE wraps, a bulk 200ct of 2x2 and 4x4.  Sutures and a kit  since I know what I'm doing.  Meds, I guess.  Maybe some packing gauze,  wound drains.  Maybe a small kit with tools.  Some procedures are theoretically easy with the right tools.  I wouldn't go nuts with chest tubes, but arguably I could  with a Heimlich valve.

Basic wound care isn't difficult, doesn't need to be complicated.  Soap and water is just as good, if not better, than peroxide or alcohol for longer term wounds.  You could stock some, but know the reasons to use it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's your level of training?  

For example, sutures aren't hard, but doing surgery -basically cutting and sewing - is.  If someone is shot in the torso,  a bag of gauze and peroxide probably won't cut it.

I'd have a splint, some ACE wraps, a bulk 200ct of 2x2 and 4x4.  Sutures and a kit  since I know what I'm doing.  Meds, I guess.  Maybe some packing gauze,  wound drains.  Maybe a small kit with tools.  Some procedures are theoretically easy with the right tools.  I wouldn't go nuts with chest tubes, but arguably I could  with a Heimlich valve.

Basic wound care isn't difficult, doesn't need to be complicated.  Soap and water is just as good, if not better, than peroxide or alcohol for longer term wounds.  You could stock some, but know the reasons to use it.
View Quote

I’m a Registered Respiratory Therapist by trade, so I get a lot of exposer to a lot of medical procedures. I’m not as hands on as the nurses in wound packing and things but I am comfortable with my abilities that if I needed to stop major bleeding I could. I understand how fast a situation can deteriorate without action(and also the right action). I bought the supplies I have now knowing how to use them.

Also keep my BLS, ACLS, PALS, and NRP up to date.

I have practiced suturing with the hemostats on fruit(I hear it’s the closest cheap replacement). I have intubated pt and manage vents but understand it’s not a viable skill in the field without support due to lack of supplemental o2.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe use some room temp pig feet  that's what we did in med school. Chicken skin is probably good too.  

There's also silicone blocks to practice on.

Probably a good idea to chat with the wound care RN (if your facility has access).  Maybe some floor nurses too.  If you're thinking any long term care of someone, ambulating them to minimize dvt's and bedsores, toilet in and diet will be important.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife is an RN that’s mostly in home health but has a lot more wound treatment experience. I’m tryin to cover the immediate threat, then transition to a longer treatment plan if needed. I’ve seen the silicone blocks and may order one. I jus wanted to get the basic down. I may be over thinking this also.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Stapler and removal tool. Alot easier to do then suture and works just as well.

IV kits and fluids.

Solar blankets, and methods to keep your pt warm.

And Id like to have a the ability to do blood transfusions from person to person (also test kits so you can determine host and recipient blood type)
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stapler and removal tool. Alot easier to do then suture and works just as well.

IV kits and fluids.

Solar blankets, and methods to keep your pt warm.

And Id like to have a the ability to do blood transfusions from person to person (also test kits so you can determine host and recipient blood type)
View Quote

I’m looking to get some dermabond and a stapler/removal kit. I do have the iv kits and fluid. I have seen kits to do blood transfusion but think that may be something that I need to look into more before considering it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the ideas. I’ve got some supplies for this bigger pack but I’ll have to get some more to finish it. The ideas have help construct the blueprint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top