Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2020 12:04:02 PM EDT
So finally about to pull the trigger on a generator setup.  Will be primarily home backup with the hope to start using for camping much more int he future.  I have 2 options locally I'm debating between.

3000is $800.  Little known history as the guy has had it for 6 months, bought off a camper but the exterior is fairly scratched up.  Like the 1 untied setup and that it will be quiter, has a fuel shut off and electric start but hard for the wife to move and no wheel kit on it.

2x 2000i: $950:  Has companion cord, units are from 2007, both have a recent honda dealer tune as they had sat since 2012.  Probably 500 hours or so on each.  Like the portability, ability to run 1, but not the added sound (likely) and lack of fuel cutoff/2x the maintence.

I'm leaning towards the 2000i but need to decide today as I would guess these won't last forever
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d go 2x2000

For the 3,000, a cheap dolly from Home Depot makes it easy to move.

I think both set ups are priced to high, at least for my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
So for around here these are the best I've seen used.  

I'm not in Hurricane country so not aa lot of people who bought for a storm and then unloaded.  Far too many adds for a well used Eu2000i for $1000.  Debated buying new, but for how much I anticipate using I want something that will still reliably start but won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I faced this same dilemma several years ago.  I went with 2x2000is.  There have been many times I only needed less than 1k so one machine was all I brought out to the club.  When powering my RV, I only needed both to run the A/C but most of the time I could get by with only one running.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Going with the 2000i set picking up tomorrow.  A little more than I would rather spend but just got back from service and has the 30A plug on the parallel kit.  Honestly I probably only need one 2000 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Good for OP.  That's what we did years ago.  Mainly because picking up a 2000 twice was better for an old guy than trying to pick up a 3000 once.

We got the units for our RV trailer and using only one has been all we've needed so far, never tried to run the AC by generator.  Same with running the house during the big quake.  We can't run the well pump, but we kept all other systems working using just one 2000.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely the way to go.  Remember 1 is none, and 2 is one.  You've got 4000 watts of power if needed, and 2000 if one breaks down.  Plus you can run one and save a lot of fuel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Post purchase pics please.
Tips: change oil, buy magnetic dip stick and screw on funnel, and hour meter.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#8]
There’s also the eu3000i handi
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have this setup. Light use over 9 years. Mostly use the single. No issues. I would like to do the fuel cutoff mod to keep it gas free while in storage. Also been tempted to purchase a propane kit.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:26:40 AM EDT
[#10]
So Already tested them out and then drained the carbs and packed into a garage cabinet so no pictures until I exercise them in 3 months...

A pleasant surprise- the previous owner had them tuned a week before the sale (guessing they had sat awhile.  Spent $170 and gave me the receipts for oil/filter/plug changes etc.  Would have done all that myself for the price.

Even came with 1 magnetic dipstick, the parallel cable and an oil change extension, couldn't be happier as I've got a reliable setup parallel cable capability if I need a second, just need to get a 10/3 cord to run to the house.  

Next step is a hutch fuel cutoff switch, then an extended run setup to jerry cans down the line (not as cheap as I thought) and adding a plug to my furnace blower (hoping with a 1999 furnace I don't need to worry about bonding the neutral).

Would love to convert to propane/NG but can't justify the cost at the moment.  I have 120L of jerry cans plus whatever is in the car tanks/blitz cans so have the fuel and keep 70L of non-ethanol rotated and ready to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top