Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 12:03:33 AM EDT
I have been fishin tenkara in the smaller streams in Yellowstone. For two seasins now. I am in the park may-oct and this is my 4th year here. So i know the park well but it is a BIG place. I have found some nice spots that work well for tenkara and have a few spots on my list this year such as upper black tail deer creek and upper lava creek.

I am not doing well in the larger rivers like the fire hole, gibbons, madison and so on. But i tend to do better in the smaller ones lile mentioned above.

Is anyone familure with tenkara or fishing small rivers in Yellowstone? I would love any tips about location,gear or time of year changes in fishing. I wilould be happy to swap some of waht i have learned about the area or even meet up and fish together.

I have to admit that i just started fishing 2 years ago and am ccomplete self tought. So inother words i dont have a clue.

Yellowstone has a lot to offer but also has some challenges.  The fish see a lot of pressure in some areas. So that can make them hard to catch. Also the thermal features change water temps. This means some rivers are better early season but then get to hot as others get to the right temp. Challangrs, you just have to learn how to use them to your advantage.  That is wwould like to try to learn from someone that also knows the park.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds awesome!  I've never tried Tenkara, I think I actually have a Tenkara rod around here somewhere that was given to me years ago.

I've fished Yellowstone - but mostly the bigger waters and a couple small lakes.  Generally did a bit better outside of the Park, but again, on bigger water.

Have you been up Slough Creek (north - east corner of the park).  I think I only fished it once briefly and did not do well - hotter than blazes and very wary fish IIRC.  Seems to me it was prone to grizzly bears also, so be on your toes if you go there.

Also seems to me that the Gardiner just above Mammoth had some areas that didn't need lots of big casting - more delicate presentations and smaller riffles and tight banks.    Lots of snakes too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
How about Gibbon Meadows?

You can sneak up on 'em through the grass and do your Tenkara Ninja thing over the banks.  There are undercut banks in there that I saw some big Browns lurking in.

Also check out the area near the Norris campground/ Museum of the National Park Ranger.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The best fishing success I've had in the Park was on the Gardiner starting from the Roosevelt area where the tall bridge crosses the river, down to the Boiling River area.  The climb down from the bridge area is a little steep but not bad.  I've fished that stretch a couple of dozen times, my son and I,  we have never seen another fisherman.  Lots of fish, some fair sized for the Park.  A  mix of Cutts, Rainbows with an occasional Brown.  Tight Lines my Friend.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds awesome!  I've never tried Tenkara, I think I actually have a Tenkara rod around here somewhere that was given to me years ago.

I've fished Yellowstone - but mostly the bigger waters and a couple small lakes.  Generally did a bit better outside of the Park, but again, on bigger water.

Have you been up Slough Creek (north - east corner of the park).  I think I only fished it once briefly and did not do well - hotter than blazes and very wary fish IIRC.  Seems to me it was prone to grizzly bears also, so be on your toes if you go there.

Also seems to me that the Gardiner just above Mammoth had some areas that didn't need lots of big casting - more delicate presentations and smaller riffles and tight banks.    Lots of snakes too.
View Quote
I did eventually fish Slough Creek. I walked up form the camp ground and fished the rapids and pools area. I think i was down stream from where most people fish. I had a great day and caught a good number of smaller fish. A few bigger ones around 12".But mostly a great day of catching 6"-8" guys in the pools and deap spots with the Tenkara rod.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best fishing success I've had in the Park was on the Gardiner starting from the Roosevelt area where the tall bridge crosses the river, down to the Boiling River area.  The climb down from the bridge area is a little steep but not bad.  I've fished that stretch a couple of dozen times, my son and I,  we have never seen another fisherman.  Lots of fish, some fair sized for the Park.  A  mix of Cutts, Rainbows with an occasional Brown.  Tight Lines my Friend.
View Quote
I actually hiked down there a few miles on a trail that followed a creek into the river just down from the bridge. i forget the name. The whole day i was skunked! caught one little fish way upstream. It was a great spot on the Gardner but i couldn't do anything there If i go back in 2018 i will give it a tray again hiking in from the road. Any idea of what time of year and what fly you were using?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top