Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2020 11:39:33 PM EDT
Been wanting to get into ham radio a loong time,  finally bought the study book and have been taking practice tests.  Pretty easy as I was an Electronics Tech in the Navy.  

Picked up a cheap Baofeng UV-5R and a Yaesu FT-65r to start with once i take the test and get my license.  Really looking forward to this.

Hope I can find a place to take the test in this Covid19 world

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome OP, be sure to check back in and report once you pass have your call assigned-FCC has been on the ball lately so it shouldn't take long.

If you haven't already, take some of the online practice tests and keep at that until you reliably get 70%. The actual test was a breeze for me.

General, not so much. Unlike the Tech where I just took practice tests, I took a 3 month weekly class for General because I wanted to learn something. That test was harder. If I can offer one bit of advice, don't climb down off that horse until you have your general as it's much harder to go back to the books once you have your Tech. The honest truth is that the real fun starts with HF privileges from a General or Extra license-being able to go beyond line of sight and over the horizon is where HAM becomes practical. I didn't get into the hobby because I wanted to play radio with dudes, but found out that doing digital modes with people in places like Cuba or talking to a friend 3 hours upstate like it's a cell phone call on "AA" batteries is pretty fucking cool...

You'll get your Tech, play around on the repeaters a bit, bump into VHF limitations and get your curiosity piqued, then find a niche that you like after getting your general after playing on HF-the hobby is really wide and diverse, something for everyone and when you find that niche, you'll meet people that bend over backwards to help you.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't post your call sign here unless you want to be outed.

Send Paul a link to your FCC ULS page if you want the flair.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's going to be several weeks before you can test, study for your General also. The two tests are similar and if you pass your Tech, the General is on the house.

Besides, General gives you many more priviledges, and HF is where all the fun stuff happens.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't post your call sign here unless you want to be outed.

Send Paul a link to your FCC ULS page if you want the flair.

Good luck.
View Quote

Get a PO Box and use that address.  Helps with lots of things in life.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank you!!!!!! Signed up for the first available which was the 22nd.
View Quote

Can you report back on the experience after you take the exam?  Would be much appreciated.  Would like to know how the session was conducted, how they used ZOOM, how you did the test, how it was graded, etc.  Asking on behalf of my club and very interested.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Keith!  Appreciate your response.  Passed on to my VE boss man!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#10]
OP don't mean to hijack your thread but has anyone heard of any online opportunities for the General exam? It looks like all spots are filed at the link the op used to register.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I am going to be "that guy" ...
The Technician license is a limitation to a great hobby.
Study for, and TAKE the general class exam.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don’t use the link. Go to Hamstudy.org/sessions and you will be able to select from more dates.
View Quote

Thank you for the link. I don't see any availability through April but am hoing they open up some testing dates in May.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank you for the link. I don't see any availability through April but am hoing they open up some testing dates in May.
View Quote

For anyone else that may benefit, I email the address at the link. They said to keep watching for dates in May to pop up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m registered for the online technician exam tomorrow.  We’ll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Let me know how that goes and what to expect. I'm not very proficient with computers and they want the screen mirrored and control of your computer. I'm assuming Zoom makes that fairly simple, but I don't know.
View Quote
I'd be OK with mirroring my screen.  Giving someone I don't know control of my computer - that's a big NOPE.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hope I can find a place to take the test in this Covid19 world
View Quote

Take your test online.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#19]
So I just passed my online exam.  Zoom online meeting opened up at 1pm EDT and I think they said I was 17th on the wait list.  Exam site was a little slow to pull up but other than that it was relatively painless.  Got a perfect score.  

Very appreciate of the efforts of the VE’s to make this available to people during such crazy times which are the very reason I wanted to get my ham license.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So I just passed my online exam.  Zoom online meeting opened up at 1pm EDT and I think they said I was 17th on the wait list.  Exam site was a little slow to pull up but other than that it was relatively painless.  Got a perfect score.  

Very appreciate of the efforts of the VE's to make this available to people during such crazy times which are the very reason I wanted to get my ham license.
View Quote
Welcome to Amateur Radio.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Very appreciate of the efforts of the VE’s to make this available to people during such crazy times which are the very reason I wanted to get my ham license.
View Quote

Can you be more specific on the mechanics of the session?  I see that you were in a Zoom session with I would guess, you and 3 VEs, all in different locations.   Was the exam also online, a web page?  Was it graded as soon as you finished?  Again, asking on behalf of my club.  I am also a VE.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Congrats!! When did they send you the info for the room? I’m taking it tomorrow and they still haven’t sent me a link.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats!! When did they send you the info for the room? I’m taking it tomorrow and they still haven’t sent me a link.

They sent it the night before.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Can you be more specific on the mechanics of the session?  I see that you were in a Zoom session with I would guess, you and 3 VEs, all in different locations.   Was the exam also online, a web page?  Was it graded as soon as you finished?  Again, asking on behalf of my club.  I am also a VE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started in a Zoom waiting room.  They had a 3rd party web based chat site (e-chat) that we used to communicate with them as zoom doesn’t allow two way communications if you’re in a waiting room.  They advised us roughly what place we were in line.

Once it was my turn I was allowed into a main zoom room and got my webcam and sound up and running and then I was invited into a breakout room.  I shared my screen and gave one of the VE’s remote control and he entered his credentials in a website.  It looked to be exam tools using hamstudy as the basis for it.  Site was a little slow to pull up initially.  Once he entered his credentials I took the exam, clicked submit and the results showed immediately.  The VE took the results from there and said I would receive a 605 form via email later tonight.

There were several VE’s in the main room as well as the breakout room.  Before the exam I showed them my area where I would be taking the exam as well as my ID.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Pheenix, Thanks for the info!  Passed on to my VE boss.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok thanks. Still haven’t received an email.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They sent it the night before.

Ok thanks. Still haven’t received an email.

I had to send an email and ask, I think they’re a little overwhelmed.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If it's going to be several weeks before you can test, study for your General also. The two tests are similar and if you pass your Tech, the General is on the house.

Besides, General gives you many more priviledges, and HF is where all the fun stuff happens.
View Quote

Very much this.

I became a General in a day. It ain't hard. Play around with the General portion for a while.

You can make it if you try.

One big mistake I made was NOT becoming an Extra at my first sitting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I received my call sign today, I was surprised, didn’t think it would be that quick.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Congrats!   I think it's awesome they are testing this way.  

Quoted:
I passed. 34/35. Was in the Zoom waiting room for almost 3 hours before I took the test.

Awesome, congrats!!   How many people tested today?  Any idea?

This is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And I just got my call sign!!
View Quote

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks. So how to I get my cool icon now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks. So how to I get my cool icon now?

Send an email to Paul (at) AR15.COM with:

Your user name and either a link to your license or a .PDF/.JPG of it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Did-we-ask-for-HAM-LICENSE-ICONS-/22-693496/?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally was able to take my exams today.  Breezed thru the Tech exam.  Took the general as well ( did not study for the general...did not pass it).

Can’t wait to get my call sign issued.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Congrats OP

Now start studying that general

Quoted:
I became a General in a day.
View Quote

I did that, except it was four tests (including 13wpm code) instead of two. It's a lot more reasonable these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top