Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 171
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimmyFallon:
I started SWLing just a minute before Gyprat was closing down the net.  Heard him pretty well on my TecSun PL660, using a 35' piece of speaker wire laid out the side of the house.  Heard him talking with the fellow who gave his location relative to Memphis.
View Quote

Do you have that speaker wire just laying on the ground?  How are you connecting it to your TecSun?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
SWLs

I checked in via RELAY on 40 meters because I didn't have the shot. I simply passed it on to the guy that did. That's what nets are for. To pass emergency messages. This was practice.

On 80 I checked in on a Prc 320, 30 Watts with a piece of wire in a tree, a 100 watt rig with a longwire and a 100 watt rig with a 43 foot vertical antenna.

I had a LOT better luck on 80 meters!

What I want to know from you SWLs is what you heard. What state are you in and what did you hear?

DO NOT POST CALL SIGNS HERE!!!

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By piccolo:
SWLs

I checked in via RELAY on 40 meters because I didn't have the shot. I simply passed it on to the guy that did. That's what nets are for. To pass emergency messages. This was practice.

On 80 I checked in on a Prc 320, 30 Watts with a piece of wire in a tree, a 100 watt rig with a longwire and a 100 watt rig with a 43 foot vertical antenna.

What I want to know from you SWLs is what you heard. What state are you in and what did you hear?

I could not hear anything on 40, everyone I heard(please see one of my above posts) was after 20:00, on 80.  Listening via  handheld GP-5, 18 ga wire clipped to antenna

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
Dang, I had to run errands after work so I just got home. Maybe next week.
View Quote

Yeah. I gotta run now. I wanna catch the last show! Bubbles is workin' at the club!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By OFH:

Do you have that speaker wire just laying on the ground?  How are you connecting it to your TecSun?
View Quote

I'm so ghetto.  Yeah the wire's just laying there.  Even more ghetto, I simply stripped the tail end and wrapped it around the end of the TecSun's telescoping antenna.  I've been able to pick up the 80m AmRRON net with this, but it could be so much better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]

I forgot that it was Tuesday!!!! (AGAIN)
I just set a weekly alarm on my phone.
'Seek-You' next week.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Cistercian, speaking of CB radios.... I got one for $20 from a local guy. It seems to work fine but the range is very limited and there isn't much activity there. There was one channel with activity but every other word was an "F-word".

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By hdhogman:

I forgot that it was Tuesday!!!! (AGAIN)
I just set a weekly alarm on my phone.
'Seek-You' next week.

View Quote

Don’t feel bad.  I was set up and waiting after dinner.....and fell asleep in my easy chair.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gyprat:
Cistercian, speaking of CB radios.... I got one for $20 from a local guy. It seems to work fine but the range is very limited and there isn't much activity there. There was one channel with activity but every other word was an "F-word".

https://i.imgur.com/U3nKBRXl.jpg
View Quote

That is a shiny fucking CB you got there!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
It was dead here. Even FT8 was struggling.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

That is a shiny fucking CB you got there!
View Quote

Thanks! It's got "Ass,,,Ass,,,Bee" mode too!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:42:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gyprat] [#12]
We've had quite a few people check in on 80 meters! Thanks to all for your participation.

40m check-ins:  9.   2 relays.

80m check ins: 36.   1 relay.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]
We've had quite a few people check in on 80 meters! Thanks to all for your participation.

40m check-ins:  9.   2 relays.

80m check ins: 36.   1 relay.
View Quote

SWL

Thank you for putting this together, I'm looking forward to next week's, when I may have my new SDR and antenna online.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#14]
SWLs

View Quote

Interesting field rig that PRC 320.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

View Quote

It is. It's set up for simplex only but the little unit busted through a pileup on NAVASSA!

They were working split 10 up so I listened on whatever and clicked the 10 khz decade switch up 1 click to talk.

It took a bunch of tries and my fingers were bleeding but I busted through!

I think a lot of it is the military handset that doesn't have that radio station announcer sound. It's slightly different and in a pileup different is good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#16]

It is. It's set up for simplex only but the little unit busted through a pileup on NAVASSA!

They were working split 10 up so I listened on whatever and clicked the 10 khz decade switch up 1 click to talk.

I think a lot of it is the military handset that doesn't have that radio station announcer sound. It's slightly different and in a pileup different is good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I misheard but I thought you checked in with 3 watts of power?  (not hearing your end beyond a ripple of sound but via the NCS rsponse.  Later I heard 30w, but either is pretty impressive!   I once was slotted in a guard slot for basic traffic analysis while our unit was reflagged........never finished the training but my mind does go to drawing a net in my mind on who is talking to how.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#17]
The 30 watts is based on a proper lenght antenna and yada yada yada. I have no idea WHAT I am actually putting out on a tuned raggedy piece of wire of dubious length.

ETA God only knows what I put out on, say 80 meters, with a 2 meter whip!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#18]
SWL here in SW TN.
PL660 on a DIY 84' long wire (speaker wire) strung from 18' down to 6' 330deg N and coax fed to the Tecsun.

Some contacts that I received: (first letter of names I noted and location)
40M: I could faintly hear A in SC, D in WI, and another transmission from PA. Missed G in IN and A in TX, only hearing the Net Control side of the conversation.

80M: More contacts were heard vs 40M. Net control of course, PA, B in S.FL (B?)
       Area 1-3: I missed the MA side of the contact at around 19:06 my local time, and faintly received W and C (missed loc.) along with B in IN around 19:10
       Area 4-5: M in Ashville NC, E in TX and Kyle from SC were heard while I missed several other transmissions, only hearing Net Control
       Area 6-7: K in NE AR was very clear (neighboring northward area), G in MA was received clearly around 19:21
       Area 8-9: Received J in WI, E? in Madison WI, and A faintly (missed location), a GA contact came in faintly, could not make out most of transmission, @ 19:30
       Other: P in IA received faintly but could understand, around 19:32

I hope this is useful to someone.

I enjoyed listening in, reminding me of the days listening to my Dad, Grandfather and other relatives on their rigs in the 70s, making contacts around the US and other countries. My Grandfather "Hobby" particularly loved his radio room time. Those were good times. I seem to be getting the bug for getting a license and rig myself soon...

SD

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:38:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BJDFL53] [#19]
Originally Posted By skidude901:
SWL here in SW TN.
PL660 on a DIY 84' long wire (speaker wire) strung from 18' down to 6' 330deg N and coax fed to the Tecsun.

40M: I could faintly hear A in SC, D in WI, and another transmission from PA. Missed G in IN and A in TX, only hearing the Net Control side of the conversation.

Area 1-3: I missed the MA side of the contact at around 19:06 my local time, and faintly received W and C (missed loc.) along with B in IN around 19:10
       Area 4-5: M in Ashville NC, E in TX and Kyle from SC were heard while I missed several other transmissions, only hearing Net Control
       Area 6-7: K in NE AR was very clear (neighboring northward area), G in MA was received clearly around 19:21
       Area 8-9: Received J in WI, E? in Madison WI, and A faintly (missed location), a GA contact came in faintly, could not make out most of transmission, @ 19:30

I enjoyed listening in, reminding me of the days listening to my Dad, Grandfather and other relatives on their rigs in the 70s, making contacts around the US and other countries. My Grandfather "Hobby" particularly loved his radio room time. Those were good times. I seem to be getting the bug for getting a license and rig myself soon...

SD

View Quote

Good information here - thanks for sharing it.  Always good to learn what other stations are hearing.  Band conditions were not great on 40M last night, better on 80M You picked up quite a bit of the net with a basic set up - congratulations!

Now go get your license and join us on the net!

B in S.FL.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By skidude901:
SWL here in SW TN.

SD

View Quote

It's posts like this one that give me motivation to keep doing this net.
Ham radio is a great hobby. There is something for everyone to satisfy their preferences and areas of interest.  You know, the internet and phones may stop working tomorrow. Ham radio requires no man made infrastructure to establish communications from point A to point B. All you need is a 12 volt power source and an antenna. You can make an expedient antenna from any wire and it will work, as long as you know what you are doing.
You'll also meet a lot of interesting people and make new friends.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#21]

It's posts like this one that give me motivation to keep doing this net.
Ham radio is a great hobby. There is something for everyone to satisfy their preferences and areas of interest.  You know, the internet and phones may stop working tomorrow. Ham radio requires no man made infrastructure to establish communications from point A to point B. All you need is a 12 volt power source and an antenna. You can make an expedient antenna from any wire and it will work, as long as you know what you are doing.
You'll also meet a lot of interesting people and make new friends.
View Quote
And on that note, I think I'm going to try my new portable rig tomorrow night.  I just bought a Xiegu G90 and built an end fed wire antenna, so I'm going to see if I can check in from my back yard with 20 watts and a wire.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#22]
And on that note, I think I'm going to try my new portable rig tomorrow night.  I just bought a Xiegu G90 and built an end fed wire antenna, so I'm going to see if I can check in from my back yard with 20 watts and a wire.
View Quote
Hmm. That's a good idea. If the weather cooperates I'll do the same with my POTA rig.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#24]
My antenna will be up later today, so I'll listen in tonight to see what I can hear.

The snow is finally going away, so the antenna projects will be working.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#25]
SpaceX scrubbed another launch that was scheduled for 10 minutes prior to net time so hopefully I'll be able to join in.
And, a bump for those who have this in their subs., and Always Forget Like ME!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Almost ready. The fiberglass pole I ordered to support my antenna wire is on the truck for delivery. Hope it gets here before the net.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By hdhogman:
SpaceX scrubbed another launch that was scheduled for 10 minutes prior to net time so hopefully I'll be able to join in.
And, a bump for those who have this in their subs., and Always Forget Like ME!
View Quote

Yea, I notified them. They'll have reschedule the launch. No big deal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#28]
as I recall from last week we are skipping the 40m pregame show starting this week?  My antenna doesn’t cover 80 M.

Anybody want to start on 40M until game time?

Keith?

do you have a freq you are on now?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gyprat] [#29]
I'll post a 40m frequency when I get there, in about 15 minutes. Usually we just take check-ins only, on 40 meters because there isn't enough time for a "go around".
We try to be close to 7.213 or 7.285 (secondary), plus/minus QRM.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:16:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alemonkey] [#30]
as I recall from last week we are skipping the 40m pregame show starting this week?  My antenna doesn't cover 80 M.

Anybody want to start on 40M until game time?

Keith?

do you have a freq you are on now?
View Quote
@SteelonSteel I'll give 40 a shot now if you want

ETA:  never mind, sounds like Gyprat is about to start.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#31]
i totally understand.  

somehow I was thinking I had some of the 80m covered on my junior starter OFCD dipole antenna.   but it is 40/20/10/6m.

I might have to make a dedicated 80m dipole.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#32]
standing by on 7.213.00MHz with a glass of Chianti.   No fava beans.

7.215. is bleeding over that
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Time to go light up a cigar and pour a glass of bourbon.  It's finally warm enough to smoke on my back porch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#34]
@bollox
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#35]
7.285MHz looks cleaner
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#36]
7.285MHz looks cleaner
View Quote
Looks good for me too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Not hearing anybody on 7.285.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#39]
7.209 IS BEST I CAN FIND
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Noise is S5 today! Bad!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#41]
7.209 IS BEST I CAN FIND
View Quote

sounds good to me
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Net control is booming into my backyard wire
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Ok 7.285. high noise.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bollox:
Ok 7.285. high noise.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:43:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#45]
Listening with IC-7300

Holy crap!  Cory in WI sounding like a broadcast station for me in FM18.
Could hear Bruce in FL clear enough to know who.
Others I guess are buried.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#47]
7.209 sounding good
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#48]
LOL, I was so excited to get checked in with my low-power station that I forgot to give net control a signal report
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Keith1980:

He doesn't need one. He's always 59 or +20.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keith1980:
LOL, I was so excited to get checked in with my low-power station that I forgot to give net control a signal report

He doesn't need one. He's always 59 or +20.

Page / 171
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top