Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Listened for a bit, didn't call, I don't really want to have timeout length discussions about things no one will change their minds about anyway.
View Quote

Just keep saying "wait one"

But, fair enough.

The net control station sets the format and topic if any, I applaud the last two NCS changing it up a bit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The net control station sets the format and topic if any, I applaud the last two NCS changing it up a bit.
View Quote

IMHO, I completely support the NCS being empowered to mix things up every week. It's a social talk group, after all. Our purpose isn't emergency comms or such. It should be fun, interesting, and thought provoking.

Even sticking with a formula of having a focus topic each week is something we should not feel encumbered to follow every single week.

I started coming to these meetings in early January, shortly after getting a Pi-Star hotspot for Christmas. I love the TGIF groups and have been running my AnyTone 878 all day every day connected there for the most part.

Being ARFCOM, I think we should pretty much keep with firearm related topics, but let's keep them fun and interesting.

I'm also a big supporter of passing around the NCS role from week to week, to anyone who is willing and interested in doing it.

But that's just me.

73 de K0RvW
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump fer this evening.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bump fer this evening.
View Quote

Hmmm, will I remember my callsign..
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hmmm, will I remember my callsign..
View Quote

I think you did!

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Fantastic net, all. We had an even dozen check-ins. Per the discussion, https://ccwsafe.com/ & https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Murnin bump.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll attempt to join tonight.  First time ham anything, let alone DMR.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]
So when I dial up 00556 TG  it shows the FCS20646 reflector on my radio.  Is this correct?  I tried to key it up and check on the TGIF last heard but didn't see the activity. YSF2DMR on a FT3DR
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good luck, I would try to get into the Talk Group 556 throughout the day, I'll be monitoring when I can to give you a signal report-have conference calls and meetings etc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So when I dial up 00556 TG  it shows the FCS20646 reflector on my radio.  Is this correct?  I tried to key it up and check on the TGIF last heard but didn't see the activity. YSF2DMR on a FT3DR
View Quote

I know the offset is 90 between the talk group # and FCS room #, BUT whether is + or - I can't remember.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know the offset is 90 between the talk group # and FCS room #, BUT whether is + or - I can't remember.
View Quote

Sounds right then, thanks.  Anyone willing to jump in and check it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

How are you coming in? Hotspot/ Droidstar?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sounds right then, thanks.  Anyone willing to jump in and check it?
View Quote

I can watch my screen for a callsign now if you want to try... in a conf call atm...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can watch my screen for a callsign now if you want to try... in a conf call atm...
View Quote

I am trying.  Something in my setup isn't correct.  I can hear other channels on TGIF but I can't get to the 556
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am trying.  Something in my setup isn't correct.  I can hear other channels on TGIF but I can't get to the 556
View Quote

OK, I thought that was you in there with 0Q..problem is I can't listen
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#18]
It works! (I am amazed that I was able to configure everything properly; DMR ID, TGIF, AMBE server firmware/config, BlueDV settings, etc).
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I am stuck in a TG (32103) on TGIF and I can't get out to save my life  lol.  Changed default group and rebooted the hotspot, still can't get out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I just can't get to that talk group for some reason.  I can jump around TGs on TGIF changing the TGs through wires X on the radio.  But when I try to change to 00556, it moves me off the YSF2DMR reflector and on to the fcs20646 reflector.  I can't figure it out.  If I set the default gateway to YSF2DMR and the default TG to 00556, it goes directly to the 20646 reflector.

I know I've seen someone using YSF to access, hopefully they jump in here
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the problems worked out getting YSF2DMR to work on TGIF.  Needed Wires X bypass on.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Gonna try to remember this tonight.

I have my hotspot on a Brandmeister server. Do I need to change this to TGIF?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Gonna try to remember this tonight.

I have my hotspot on a Brandmeister server. Do I need to change this to TGIF?
View Quote

Yes, you would need to set it to TGIF, Talk group 556.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Technical difficulties by NCS, droidstar app was super lossy. ..still had 8 check-ins. Going forward app to be back up to a OS3/hotspot/878/Ft70..
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I was there and was going to check in. I think when you asked for open calls you broke up. Then I had to go into work. Next week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Bumpski
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#27]
ill be there tonight.

Had some hotspot issues, if yall open up for check ins I will check in.

Sorry bout that, I had a connection issue when trying to comment.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#28]
tonights weekly DMR net had a total of 12 checkins
I thank all who participated
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Go Reds! Bump
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Good ARFCOM DMR net last night (4/1/21). Thanks to all who joined in. I counted 11 total participants.

Our topic last night was:

Scenario: Neighbor who is clearly anti-gun quietly approaches you and says he’s worried about
family safety and wants you to help him select and purchase a gun.
- What do you say?
- What are the first steps?

We had some good discussions around this. It seemed the majority of our net participants were most comfortable being the "gray man" who go unnoticed by their neighbors. As such, they'd be surprised if any of their neighbors approached them re guns.

A few others had slightly differing approaches.

In any case, thanks again for participating. As always, feedback appreciated. Reply here, PM me, or email me ([email protected]) if you'd like to provide feedback on the net.

Cheers,

KRvW
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:35:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, I think I have my DMR, plugin, and hotspot programed.  Will try to set it up for using my cellphone - and perhaps I will be able to listen in on this coming Thursday.  If it, will post for help to figure out this radio...  Slow progress, but hopefully progress.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, I think I have my DMR, plugin, and hotspot programed.  Will try to set it up for using my cellphone - and perhaps I will be able to listen in on this coming Thursday.  If it, will post for help to figure out this radio...  Slow progress, but hopefully progress.
View Quote

You can always pull up the TGIF last heard on the web and then go into the room and key up.  It will tell you if everything is working.

Type 556 into the search bar at tgif and you'll only see the ARF room.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you.  My computer is connected to the hotspot - so I can see the hotspot is hearing my radio and trying to connect, but nothing on the TGIF side.  Guess I will investigate why the hotspot is not connecting to the server.

It took a couple tries to figure out the server was set incorrectly - then much to my surprise I did a test and someone answered me
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#34]
net 2nite
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh well, my 878 will TX for a second or 3 then cut off.  Will play around with it any maybe check in next week.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oh well, my 878 will TX for a second or 3 then cut off.  Will play around with it any maybe check in next week.
View Quote

It was working when you came back, hope you can.

I'll be around for awhile if you want to test it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#37]
It worked on the first transmit, then cut me off when I tried to reply.  I am trying to see if I can find anything online to tell me what settings I have wrong...  I was hoping it was just routing through the iphone, but that apparently was not the problem.  I have access to d-star and fusion radios, but have not taken the time to try to route them through the openspot yet.  If I get insomnia this week, will try to set one of them up to see if I can narrow the problem down to the 878 or the openspot programing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#38]
After you said you changed internet connections, we (I) could only hear you trying to get on - it was as if you keyed up, got in, but after a syllable, we lost you. I'll standby for awhile if you want to keep trying.

Alembic: this is the link to N5BOC's site - https://www.store.n5boc.com/. I don't have any knowledge of the chyna' mmdvms, but his are really nice. I guess that's why his stock is always in flux... in stock... out of stock. He does seem to rotate production runs, so availability is usually not too far away. Thanks for the net.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Besides my 991A deciding to not transmit, great net all.

11 checked-in.

Poll results,

Radio/App:

Anytone 878 - 4
Droidstar- 3
TYT-380-based- 2
Yaesu FT-3DR- 1
Radioddity GD-77 -1
Yaesu FT-991A -1

Hotspot-

Openspot-2
Pi-star based- 9
Droidstar -2

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After you said you changed internet connections, we (I) could only hear you trying to get on - it was as if you keyed up, got in, but after a syllable, we lost you. I'll standby for awhile if you want to keep trying.

Alembic: this is the link to N5BOC's site - https://www.store.n5boc.com/. I don't have any knowledge of the chyna' mmdvms, but his are really nice. I guess that's why his stock is always in flux... in stock... out of stock. He does seem to rotate production runs, so availability is usually not too far away. Thanks for the net.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I might just need a new spot after tonight.

So just like that no TX, I was receiving fine the whole time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I figured out that the wasn't the 991A's fault, when it goes off frequency just barely from the set frequency (my VFO is set up to spin freely-I must have bumped it), it automatically applies the 440 band repeater offset of +5 MHz. Changing the hotspot frequency to a frequency in the FM simplex segment of the band would prevent that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#42]
You should be able to turn off the automatic repeater shift in the menu.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I would just lock the front panel, I have to do that on my packet radio as it's really easy to bump the vfo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I would just lock the front panel, I have to do that on my packet radio as it's really easy to bump the vfo.
View Quote

That's going to be the ticket, sure enough. Sometimes the answers are right in front (panel) of us.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Great net, all. 12 Check-ins. Topical links to follow..

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#46]
OK, whose SSTV image is this? Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Is this still going down on legacy?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is this still going down on legacy?
View Quote

TG 556 is still Legacy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

TG 556 is still Legacy.
View Quote

Damn, all my other frequent TGs are prime
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Noticed the following on the TGIF site:

NOTICE - Legacy + Prime = TGIF
Legacy server merged/redirected to prime.
Apr 25, 2021 @ 6:15 AM CDT

I haven't spent the time since setting up my hotspots to learn anything more about DMR. Does this mean I'm going to have to change something in my Configuration page? Did ARFCOM get migrated to TGIF Prime? I won't even ask what the deal is with the FCS 556 TG vs TGIF 556 TG,
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top