Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2020 11:14:23 AM EDT
@elcope is looking to put APRS to work for him.  He has some questions, so do I.  Let's open up this thread and see what we can glean from each other.

For those not familiar, APRS and I have a love/hate relationship.  Though it seems the better the local network gets, the better we get along.  It's commonly known that most APRS websites and documentation sucks and is nearly impossible to decipher.  Back in the day I did a few shows on the mode that may be of some help if you're interested.  Linked Here

I've recently moved away from my Ubiquitous Kenwood TMv-71a mobile radio to the Yaesu 400XDR for many reasons; primarily the APRS usability and future local System Fusion build-out.  I'm also a big fan of the Mobilinkd Bluetooth TNC.

A few months back the boys and I took a road trip to NYS.  I ran the Kenwood TMv-71a with the Mobilinkd TNC3 along with a Samsing Tablet (7") in the van.  It was flawless the entire trip, minus the cables.  (It was a far cleaner deal than running it with a HT like I have in the past.)  That trip convinced me that I needed an APRS enabled Mobile in all of our vehicles.  I came home and sold nearly every rig I had, paid some bills and bought 2 FTM-400XDR (still need 2 more) on Black Friday.

At my parents house I run my old Kenwood Tm-707g along with a Mobilinkd TNC1 and a little Burner Phone from Dollar General.  I'm not getting a digipeat from that setup, but it at least is another station on the air.  I'm thinking I'll replace the Mobilinkd with a used KPC3 or an Argent Data Tracker 4 sometime soon.

Yesterday, I decided to put my current and idle VHF Packet Station to use on APRS.  I downloaded and installed Java, then YAAC onto the new/old Dell Laptop in the shack.  In about 15 minutes I had an operable APRS digipeater/igate just for trying.  For years @gcw has tried to convince me to use YAAC in the shack, I guess I finally listened?  It seems to be working well.  I'm hating the GUI (maps) but believe I can tweak that to have a more favorable 'look'.

For the last few weeks I've been running a Mobilinkd TNC2 with a Baofeng UV3R+ connected to an external antenna.  Again, it gives me a station on the air, but it cannot Digipeat on it's on, therefore it's just a 'pinger'....It allows me to see the local traffic, send and receive messages but not relay any packets.  This isn't' a deal breaker, just 8 miles up the road I have (first in the county) a Digipeater/iGate built from a /\/\oto mobile, TinyTrak TNC and a RPi.  You can learn about this setup in the above linked podcast.  This station has been on the air for a few years.  In the beginning it was just a Digipeater at 30' AGL, later on the FD got a real Internet connection and a cable pull back to the modem allowed the station to get online.  It's a pretty solid performer!  Its connected to a Diamond X50 antenna via LOW Loss Coax previously used for my K4CDN UHF repeater.

The Yaesu 400XDR rigs are a blast to use, and we've not even scratched the surface yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Some time about 2 years ago, a few hams decided to jump in and get them an APRS station operable.  The primary unit in use is now the Argent Data Tracker4 They seem to be doing the job flawlessly.  Owning one of those is on my short list.  It appears to be a single unit (just add VHF radio) solution that can be accessed via your home network and has a decent GUI.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag for info.

Total newb here with a whopping one day of APRS experience, currently playing with an Anytone D878 (TX only).
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Exchanged messages with a station in Turkey yesterday, while mobile in NYS.  
Kenwood TM-d710.   But I'm no expert, so IN!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've gotten my 878 to transmit out and can see myself occasionally on aprs.fi.  My mobilinkd is on the way and I'm going to play with it as a portable with an FT-25 and iPhone as well as an iGate/stand-alone through a Pi.

I'm sure I'll have questions as I start playing with it once it actually ships.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting this thread.

First - i think we all need to be reminded that APRS was designed as a "tactical reporting and messaging system".  It's far more than just position and weather reports, though that's certainly the vast majority of what we all use it for.

0-
-
-

What i've gleaned through reading is that APRS messages are entirely their own format.  Different than (for example) the 'standard' NMEA sentences GPSes use.  Which makes sense as APRS is far more than just position / heading / speed data.

Depending on the radio you have, you may be able to receive APRS data and then output it as GPS NMEA data.  Here is a copy/paste from yaesu's APRS manual for the FT3DR.

OUTPUT of the COM PORT setting:

OFF: Deactivate the input function of the data terminal (negate function).
GPS: Output GPS data ($GPRMC in NMEA-0183 format or $GPGGA data) obtained by this transceiver.
WAY.P: Output position information from APRS PACKET received from a BEACON received from another station as WAYPOINT data ($GPWPL in NMEA-0183 format)
View Quote
So, theoretically with an FT3DR you could pipe the data into a chartplotter (such as the open source OPENCPN or even off the shelf stuff from lowrance B&G) to display incoming APRS data.

I've been looking around for a sort of conversion tool that will real-time convert incoming NMEA sentences (or even APRS directly) to KML for direct viewing in Google Earth, which i think would be ideal.  But i haven't found anything.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
What I really need is a voice to text translator connected to the 710, so I can respond to messages while mobile, without trying to use the hand mike to type it out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used my Yaesu VX-8DR to good effect for APRS. Because it's an HT, in order for it to be really useful, it needs to be within a few short miles of a digipeater/igate. I have been known to use a VHF/UHF 40W amp for when I want to go mobile and still do APRS on my VX-8. I've also used it to send texts. Really, really short texts because typing text on the number keys on the Yaesu is a pain.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Apparently there is a now discontinued GPS product that can integrate with Kenwood APRS capable radios, such as the handheld TH72, and mobile D710.

It uses a propietary message format - i found this manual here.

If someone could code a program to act like the geosat 6, a raspberry pi, you could build a self-contained keyboard messaging tool to receive, display, and send APRS messages.

I've written very very simple programs to send and receive MODBUS serial over TCP/IP.  But that was a long time ago.  Perhaps we have some folks here who might be interested in doing so?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I just sent my AVMap Geosat 6 APRS back to AVMap for repair.  It was a very simple integration with the Kenwood 710.  The newer Kenwood 710G has a built-in GPS for sending, but not much of a way to receive to a GPS with monitor.

Mine was having a challenge receiving data and plotting for awhile.  Then one day, about a month ago, the screen stopped responding to touch.  You have to make some on screen selections when it starts up.  I researched my options and looked at an Android Tablet (likely an 8" Samsung) and the Mobilinkd TNC3 with bluetooth.  Right now I would be happy with my Geosat working.  If it cannot be repairs or is too costly (I just received an e-mail advising they received it two days ago) then I may have to consider other options.

It would be nice to have a nice solution to view data on a 8" screen, maybe 10" if it fits the rig.  If anybody has pics please feel free to add them.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Right now, my son and I just use APRSDroid to squawk packets , and aprs.fi to see where everyone is located.

I got bit by the APRS bug when my son was on a trip with our church youth group.  On the way home, I had him turn on APRSDroid and I tracked him all the way back.

He did by a Mobilinkd device, but hasn't been able to get it working, either with a Boafeng or his Icom ID-51.  Not sure what is wrong.

I'd like to have a better APRS setup, but I don't have the money for it right now.  Anyone have a suggestion for a low cost APRS setup?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I just added some to the initial post.  I'm no pro but I'd be happy to try to help with the Mobilinkd!

good money spent on a quality tracker is the Open Tracker USB from Argent granted, you can't interact with it, it does work well (I have one, somewhere in the shack).
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#12]
On your friends Mobilinkd. Make sure he knows how to do the physical reset. It could just be jammed up, I've had mine do that.

On Yaac, I've heard good things as well. My buddy runs it but I haven't yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On your friends Mobilinkd. Make sure he knows how to do the physical reset. It could just be jammed up, I've had mine do that.
View Quote
I'll tell him to give it a try.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a new FTM-400XDR, played with it some and put it back in the box. For some reason, I can't get excited with any digital modes and I can't see any practical benefits of APRS for me at this time. Same thing happened with a new IC-5100. Bought it back in 2015 and It's still in the box. LOL. HF is where the fun is, for me.
The plan was to install the FTM-400 into my vehicle but I can't decide where to install the display/control unit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Argent gear (I've used Byonics in the past as well, but argent makes a cute little single-board unit (T3 mini) that's super easy to use. They used to sell a nice metal enclosure version, the OT3m but it doesn't seem to be available any more. It's been replaced by the Tracker 4.)

Be warned Argent takes about 6-8 weeks to ship. Every time. Don't know why. Order now.

I posted about my issues with the Kenwood APRS capable HTs a while ago, in a nutshell they're terrible at hearing anything besides short position packets, and it's a known flaw in the modem chip set. My application doesn't even use position info -- I use the APRS message format to pass some specific telemetry from my second QTH to my primary QTH. I can also send a few limited commands to the second QTH, I put in an authentication code (legally permitted) in the apps I wrote that's time + key dependent so I don't have to worry about someone else sending whatever I do and messing with the plase.

The main reason for the link is a extremely limited fallback if the cellular internet fails (which happens often) to relay "all OK here" status and as a means of doing a hard reboot if they servers get wonky and I can't ssh in to them. Also I have the code in my APRS app set to insert "NOGATE" so I'm not getting reported on aprs.fi (unless I want it to of course.)

In my case the QTH is in a very unique location (mountain top) so it has pretty easy coverage. I installed a yagi to point to one of the main digis in the Phoenix area and run fairly low power (2W+ antenna gain) so I don't light up the entire state. I also switched to the UHF packet frequency which is incredibly under-utilized in my area (just a couple percent occupancy. The main VHF APRS frequency is pretty much always busy. Certain large spots around Phoenix have direct line of sight to the second QTH, but my main QTH isn't one of them so I have to use a digi.

Home station is laptop -> Argent OT3m -> FT-7900 -> Comet GP-1, while the remote second QTH is the RPI3 -> Argent OT3 mini -> FT60 -> 6 element yagi (solar powered.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Right now, my son and I just use APRSDroid to squawk packets , and aprs.fi to see where everyone is located.

I got bit by the APRS bug when my son was on a trip with our church youth group.  On the way home, I had him turn on APRSDroid and I tracked him all the way back.

He did by a Mobilinkd device, but hasn't been able to get it working, either with a Boafeng or his Icom ID-51.  Not sure what is wrong.

I'd like to have a better APRS setup, but I don't have the money for it right now.  Anyone have a suggestion for a low cost APRS setup?
View Quote
For the lowest cost, just build or buy the cable to connect APRSdroid to the baofeng. Just have to remember to mute all other audio out of your phone/tablet so you don't send a ringtone out
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For the lowest cost, just build or buy the cable to connect APRSdroid to the baofeng. Just have to remember to mute all other audio out of your phone/tablet so you don't send a ringtone out
View Quote
Thanks!  Coincidentally, he was working on that last night when I went to bed.  I'll have to see what progress he made.

We were one of several rovers for a bicycle race yesterday.  The NCS told me later that he wished we were using APRS or something like that so that he could know where everyone was.  Radioing that we were at mile maker 110 meant nothing to him without a map of the mile markers!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#18]
It's been only a few months since I begin to play around with APRS. Although I've the radios with the capability for years, it was a post I read here asking for advice that gave the shove I needed in the right direction.

Primarily I use the 710A and the VX8 HT, and a TNC3 with either the V71A or FT7800 depending on the mobile I'm driving.

Wolverine, I'm relatively sure xastir and direwolf was used to setup a -10 station from the RPI. If you're interested, look up KM4ACK in YouTube. I followed a setup video that he produced.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Cool stuff seek. Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Current run a HT on an external antenna attached to a burner android phone via the BTECH APRS cable.  It works but is a bit bulky.  The Mobilnkd TNC is on my shortlist for the BT connection to the smart phone.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Figured this is a good place to link to some APRS map sites:

https://www.aprsdirect.com

https://aprs.fi
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#22]
What's the character limit in aprs messages?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone want to try exchanging aprs messages?  PM me and we can exchange callsigns to send a message.

I currently use a Yaesu 400XDR in the house. Connected to a J-pole at 40' agl.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Official answer from the protocol doc:
The message text may be up to 67 characters long, and may contain anyprintable ASCII characters except |, ~ or {.
This is just for uncompressed text messages. For other message types it gets a little more complicated, but you can safely assume it's less than that.

Most code I've seen just plans on 64 characters.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#25]
http://www.aprs.org/doc/APRS101.PDF

This is from 2000 but I assume most of it is still applicable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#26]
This is an interesting read about a man trying to setup tracking via aprs on a space  balloon.  He discusses what he learned and how complex sending an aprs message actually is.

https://hugosprojects.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/implementing-aprs/
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#27]
@Moga I'm really leaning towards getting a Pi up and Digipeating/iGating to free up the shack PC (and conserve pwr).

@TinLeg most anything from 1999 on is "current" (kinda joking).

I'd be happy to push messages around once we're home from hospital later this week!
Kilo 4 Charlie Delta November

ps. The APRSDirect site linked above is becoming my new go-to when wanting to peek at the map. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Nocturnal
Four
October
Kangaroo
November

game for doing APRS exercises as well
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'd be happy to push messages around once we're home from hospital later this week!

ps. The APRSDirect site linked above is becoming my new go-to when wanting to peek at the map. YMMV
View Quote
First and most important - hope you guys are doing better.

and B - if you want no mus no fuss, the PLXdigi you can just preprogam and set up. No computer needed for operation, so you can put it up remote somewhere.  Not sure what power consumption is compared to a Pi.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#30]
the PLXDigi looks VERY intriguing!!!! Is there a US dealer? couldn't find one on their site?
I have some OLD ICOM IC-Z1A handis that need something to do...together these could fill in some spots for 1/2 the cost of the Argent Tracker4.

ETA: Thanks! successful surgery (tumor completely removed) she's feeling great!
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey that's awesome news, Congrats!

No US dealer that I'm aware of. Have to get it from the guys who make it in Poland.  
Shipping does take a bit but its cool stuff.

http://microsat.com.pl/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=54&language=en&osCsid=22cefb610717a7328e4f1e0101277dcf

One note - that model is digipete only, they have an upgrade version that does digi,igate,weather etc.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#32]
For those using the Mobilinked TNC3 and a ht, what do you recommend for a tablet?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

game for doing APRS exercises as well
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For those using the Mobilinked TNC3 and a ht, what do you recommend for a tablet?
View Quote
I've used a Samsung 7", and a plethora of Droid Phones (even the cheapie from Dollar General)....
no matter what you choose, remember it MUST have a built-in GPS (and bluetooth) if you intend to ping your location.  
I only say that because...my first Droid tablet didn't have GPS and was kinda useless.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I will be out tomorrow running errands then some snowshoeing and a bit of range time.

My callsign below and -7 on my HT & -9 in my truck. On aprs direct look in NW MT
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
iOS and Android user here...both tablet OS are GTG.

I'm down to get the messaging exercise moving tonite if the hive is on board.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. For any that haven't taken a peek? Do it. The juice is worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://www.aprs.org/doc/APRS101.PDF

This is from 2000 but I assume most of it is still applicable.
View Quote
I wondered about the purpose and intended use of the Mic-E encoding and how it worked. I found the answer within the pages of the linked doc.

Saved.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#39]
My station at home is on feel free to send me something. It's just the call sign, no dash-#
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#41]
magic
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#42]

This guy is totally doing APRS like a boss!

eta-Station call: KM4EFW-12
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Heading out in 45 min if anyone wants to follow my call.

I'll also be trying out pinpoint aprs while out of range from other digipeaters connected to my Yaesu 400xdr.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb question because if it can do it I'm just being daft, but does the aprs.fi app on iOS support messaging or is there some better way of doing over the air messaging with a TNC3 and an iPhone?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Tried to send you a message but I think I missed you.  Awesome looking country you have there.
de catskilldraht
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#46]
From the other aprs thread;

Quoted:

APRSIS32 can be used offline.  Just need to be online for the first use to download the maps.

OpenCPN is an open source GPS chartplotter / radar screen / etc built towards marine use which has an experimental plugin to receive APRS data.

Google earth is a bit more problematic as it appears to expect a KML file.

Also:

http://www.pinpointaprs.com
View Quote
Pinpoint aprs didn't work offline for me. It may be a setting issue, or the operator, but I connected it to the radio but it wouldn't display packets, even though the radio was receiving them.

ETA: Yep, operator error. I used the wrong cable to connect to the radio.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Dumb question because if it can do it I'm just being daft, but does the aprs.fi app on iOS support messaging or is there some better way of doing over the air messaging with a TNC3 and an iPhone?
View Quote
Neither could I find a way to send a message from aprs.fi app. Some poking around on the web revealed that several years ago, the developer remarked that he'd add messaging functionality in a later release. If he hasn't gotten around to it by now, I doubt it will ever come to be at this point.

It appears that I am in the same boat. I'll report back with a better solution when I find one.

ETA: Yikes: there isn't anything else for iOS. I had not noticed the lack of messaging support from the app. Have used other solutions in the past for the few APRS messages I have sent. An update has been made last month to the app, so I credit the developer for keeping the code updated, but maaan....no messaging is a huge omission. Which is a shame because the GUI is beautiful and stable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#48]
cleaning out Bookmarks and found this Mobilinkd TNC & Kenwood TMv71a blog post
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Just a heads up.  My android phone updated and now APRSdroid keeps crashing.
Checked at the play store and apparently a known problem that is not being addressed.  I have an older phone at home. Gonna see if it will still run on that.
Just fyi.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#50]
A well supported well built APRS app would probably do well.

The ones out there definitely have a rough and ready feel about them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top