Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2016 8:36:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I read that book a while back.

My impression of it was very similar to yours. I'd be willing to check out the sequel because even though the book was kind of different, I remember it being well written.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, that de-escalated quickly.

Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've read all of them, they're ok if you buy into the un sustainability of resource extraction based exponential growth.

I agree with his hatred of suburbs though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been enjoying Kunsler's style.
More of a "this is our new daily lives" feel than drama.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The writer is a very interesting dude, a liberal, but still very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 3:28:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#8]
Very late to this discussion but I've read the first three books, couldn't find the 4th on audiobook yet.  Spoilers ahoy!

In my business Kunsler is a common commentator so I've read a lot of his other stuff.  His podcast and blog are sometimes entertaining.  I am sympathetic to a lot of his architectural criticism, but his environmental and energy doomsaying gets tiring after a while.  He's predicted 13 of the last zero oil crises.

As for his fiction, they are somewhat entertaining but he's not the greatest writer.  Just somewhat clunky in pacing and flow.  The worst flaw to me is that it's a huge Mary Sue story of the plucky carpenter with traditional tastes inspiring the people, being elected mayor, giving shelter and solace to the hot young widow.  Oh, did I mention he's a deadly pistol shot despite having very little experience?

People mentioned the witch in the 2nd book, the 3rd book gets even weirder with the story of his son's travels through the mid south.  Kunsler's contempt of rednecks (compared to yankee farmers) and urban blacks both show through.

But some of his ideas are interesting in a long decline scenario.  Islands of relative peace within a hostile countryside, difficulty of travel even without a bandit threat.  He shows several ways how people could organize themselves, like a return to serfdom under an organized and protective leader, or the messianic group.  Then the town holding on to the old ways via deep denial of their actual situation.  People putting too much faith in old organizations and perceived rule of law, until it goes into crisis and they are shocked and left adrift by the perceived sudden change.  Importance of good people working together even if they have different mindsets.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
He’s an entertaining writer and I enjoy his blog. Pro-Trump, btw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top