BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2021 12:03:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok, I made that statistic up, but I bet it is pretty close, especially for city dwellers.

One thing I can't understand, and this can serve as a reminder for folks, is how people in cold climates like MN don't have even the most basic heat backups.

But natural gas you say? Your central furnace doesn't run without electricity. Your heat pumps don't run, most forms of NG or propane heating systems used in homes still also need electricity to operate.

It never fails: every winter, one of the towns near us loses power on cold nights. On the bookface, the wife tells me how all the sheep are freaking out that their houses are almost at freezing out froze out. They are cold, pipes froze, all is lost.

Having even a small generator to keep your HVAC going doesn't take much money (did you really need the iPhone 12?) to setup.

Non electric zone heating from say a wood stove or propane only fireplace is great, but it doesn't keep your pipes and water appliances from freezing up.

Have a backup, have a plan. Having a way to even quickly winterize your plumbing is a great idea if you just can't heat it.
View Quote
All my relatives in L48 are all old hands at no power. They know how to drain pipes and have back up heat.

One thing to add is have a honey bucket or two.

Most younger ones do not even have enough blankets or sleeping bags to keep warm.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Kerosene heaters are cheap and kerosene lasts forever, the problem is no one prepares. OP those same people likely don't even have a weeks worth of food stocked up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
But my home will not be one of them...
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My wood stove is chugging along, I've got enough wood bucked, split and stacked in my wood shed to get me through the rest of this winter and very possibly enough for next winter too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't need a lot but I have a Buddy heater, lots of propane and some propane accessories, plenty of food and extra blankets.  Power banks and four UPSs to keep power banks charged for a couple of weeks.

It's just common sense to be prepared for bad times.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:43:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Electric boiler heated floor
Lp furnace
High  efficiency  wood fireplace 16 cords of wood cut,  40 acres of trees.
Generator backup.
I think we are ok, but thanks for the concern
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All my relatives in L48 are all old hands at no power. They know how to drain pipes and have back up heat.

Most younger ones do not even have enough blankets or sleeping bags to keep warm.
View Quote

Honey bucket?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a triple redundancy. Transfer switch generator, portable generator, and 2 kerosene heaters. Plus my -20 degree down bags and all my other winter camping shit. And my ice fishing buddy heater, haha. We'd be ok.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#9]
For a quick grid down I have a couple little buddy’s with a lot of propane and a couple electric space heaters to run on my inverter genny.

Extended grid down and I’m doing a quick winterize on the house and moving out.

In a pinch though, I have the knowledge and tools to jerry rig my NG furnace to run off the inverter if it were somehow needed.

Next house will have a generator transfer switch and a matching inverter/genny with a parallel kit ready to power more in the house.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm surprised that most don't have a backup plan.  Having driven through there in winter is a big wake up call.  That cold weather will kill you fast.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:30:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok, I made that statistic up, but I bet it is pretty close, especially for city dwellers.

One thing I can't understand, and this can serve as a reminder for folks, is how people in cold climates like MN don't have even the most basic heat backups.

But natural gas you say? Your central furnace doesn't run without electricity. Your heat pumps don't run, most forms of NG or propane heating systems used in homes still also need electricity to operate.

It never fails: every winter, one of the towns near us loses power on cold nights. On the bookface, the wife tells me how all the sheep are freaking out that their houses are almost at freezing out froze out. They are cold, pipes froze, all is lost.

Having even a small generator to keep your HVAC going doesn't take much money (did you really need the iPhone 12?) to setup.

Non electric zone heating from say a wood stove or propane only fireplace is great, but it doesn't keep your pipes and water appliances from freezing up.

Have a backup, have a plan. Having a way to even quickly winterize your plumbing is a great idea if you just can't heat it.
View Quote

most people are stupid
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Piss pot
Luggable loo
5 gallon bucket with hd trash bags
View Quote

Got it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:46:07 AM EDT
[#14]
97% of the homes north of the Mason/Dixon line will freeze in January in a power outage,
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
97% of the homes north of the Mason/Dixon line will freeze in January in a power outage,
View Quote

Painting there with a broad stroke, cities where people have to rely on public infrasture maybe, those of us that live in rural areas, not as big an issue, right now it's 14 degrees outside and with my wood stove stoked    for the night it's 75 in the living room.
I'm 61 miles from the Canadian Border, freezing in January, not even a blip on the radar.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:05:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Kerosene heaters are cheap and kerosene lasts forever, the problem is no one prepares. OP those same people likely don't even have a weeks worth of food stocked up.
View Quote

Burning Lots of Kerosene inside a sealed home could be a really BAD idea ...   Unless you happen to love Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, Brain Damage & Death...
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:05:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

30,000 BTU of propane or NG heat for $200 - No electricity required.

Bear in mind that a 30K BTU heater running full-time supplies the same amount of heat as a 60K BTU furnace that runs half of the time - or a 120K BTU furnace running 25% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Have a PTO generator to run the heat pump if needed. Most do not
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:52:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I recall power was out for 9 days in country in late 90s.  It was six days before we needed to hook up generator to Grandma's house with I floor heat in basement.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:06:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a small generator just for this reason.  Run an extension cord to the furnace and I'm good to go.

Worked fine at my old place.  I expect it to work here too if necessary.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:39:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have a PTO generator to run the heat pump if needed.
View Quote

Turning fuel into heat - and then turning that heat into mechanical energy - and then turning that mechanical energy into electrical energy - and then turning that electrical energy back into heat - is a ridiculously inefficient way of keeping warm.

Every step of that process has massive conversion losses.

You're probably doing good to get 1 BTU of heat in your house for every 10 BTUs of fuel consumed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I've gone through 9 days of power out. Another time it was out 6 days, on 2 and off another 5.
Something I haven't heard mentioned is an RV.  That's my backup for my backup. I keep enough propane, and if my generator fails I can use the truck to keep batteries charged. That give me furnace power and water.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Three different, independent heat sources here. One main, and two backups.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Got me thinking...  I need to do a practice run of winterizing the plumbing.  We have been here for ten years and never needed to do this.

Bill

Quoted:
Quoted:

Turning fuel into heat - and then turning that heat into mechanical energy - and then turning that mechanical energy into electrical energy - and then turning that electrical energy back into heat - is a ridiculously inefficient way of keeping warm.

You're probably doing good to get 1 BTU of heat in your house for every 10 BTUs of fuel consumed.

Yes, very true, but I believe he was using this as a backup to losing grid power.  Not an everyday operation.

Most of us in a grid down situation will be extremely inefficient in power generation!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Burning Lots of Kerosene inside a sealed home could be a really BAD idea ...   Unless you happen to love Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, Brain Damage & Death...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull shit. Used K1 for years growing up and spot heating now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#26]
My mom and brother live in WV.  They have for decades.  Mom is pretty old (82) and she seems to be getting "out there" in her thought processes.

They have electric baseboard heat and wood stoves.  Since my dad died she's relied less and less on the wood stoves and the complains about how high her power bill is in the winter.  I keep pointing out it's the baseboard heaters and she says, "I know", and then keeps on going with the baseboard heaters unless it's really really cold.  When dad was alive their monthly power bills, even in the winter never got above $80.  Now mom pays close to $300 a month, even with the much more limited use of the wood stoves.  

Now my mom is talking about getting rid of the baseboard heaters and having an electric furnace installed in her house.  I keep telling her I don't think the electic bills will drop enough to pay for the cost of the electric furnace and ductwork installation.  Then she talks about having the wood stoves removed because they are so dangerous.  When I ask her what she'll use when they lose power she says my brother will run the generator.  No matter how many times I try to tell her a 5,000 watt generator won't run a house sized electric furnace, it does not sink in.

I'd like to hope my brother (who cuts the firewood and brings it inside for her) will keep her from taking out the wood stoves, but who knows.

Some people are just not capable of facing up to reality.  I've known them to go up to two weeks without electricity after a hellacious summer windstorm knocked down the powerlines for miles with falling trees and broken limbs.  In the winter they've got 4 to 7 days without power.

People get what they "ask" for by their actions.  It would be nice if it was different, but that's not reality.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True story but the guy a few posts above thinks you kill yourself.  The voice of inexperience.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a triple redundancy. Transfer switch generator, portable generator, and 2 kerosene heaters. Plus my -20 degree down bags and all my other winter camping shit. And my ice fishing buddy heater, haha. We'd be ok.
View Quote

@Flatehead9

How much fuel do you have for the generators?  

2HUT8
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends entirely on the house.  I lost my furnace for 24hours at -15f lows. Kerosene tower heater keep my living room over 60, and the plumbing never had an issue.  50+ year old house, 1,200 sq ft and I closed off the bedrooms.  If you have a McMansion you might need more, but I was fine with 1 Kero heater.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grew up in a house that had a wood stove and also had a kero heater on most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah he is badly mistaken. I would say it's not any fault of his own as there is a lot of internet hype on this. If burning kero all the time was deadly I wouldn't have made is past 1 year old
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Living in Tennessee, we obviously don't have the same level of issues that our friends in the hinterlands have. It's currently 61 degrees on Jan 1st. It'll be around 34 tomorrow night. I still don't want to be cold!

Preps in depth.
Got the kind of heater that screws onto the top of 20lb propane tanks.
Got several Mr Buddies from Craigslist that run on 1lb tanks.
Got a gas log fireplace.

I think about the Alaskans that have the tent in case their house catches fire in the middle of the night. I want to be alive.
I want to be comfortable.
I want me and mine to thrive in the good and bad times.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Living in Tennessee, we obviously don't have the same level of issues that our friends in the hinterlands have. It's currently 61 degrees on Jan 1st. It'll be around 34 tomorrow night. I still don't want to be cold!

Preps in depth.
Got the kind of heater that screws onto the top of 20lb propane tanks.
Got several Mr Buddies from Craigslist that run on 1lb tanks.
Got a gas log fireplace.

I think about the Alaskans that have the tent in case their house catches fire in the middle of the night. I want to be alive.
I want to be comfortable.
I want me and mine to thrive in the good and bad times.
View Quote

The heaters that attach to a propane tank are not rated for in home use. I think it is simply because the volume of gas in a propane cylinder.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Nothing against the good folks of Minnesota but,,,,

1) Don't live where the weather can kill you.
2) Natty gas whole house genset
3) Back up gas generator
4) Fire place with enough firewood for two seasons.
5) Kerosene heaters on standby.
6) Well,,you get the message.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha, our house (built in 1918) only has one bathroom.  When we have company over those are regular equipment for the wife and I.  Have one in the shed and one in the spare bedroom.

I've got several backups for heat and AC plus water if we lose power.  Ours went out for 2 weeks in Iceapocalypse back in 2014.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've gone through 9 days of power out. Another time it was out 6 days, on 2 and off another 5.
Something I haven't heard mentioned is an RV.  That's my backup for my backup. I keep enough propane, and if my generator fails I can use the truck to keep batteries charged. That give me furnace power and water.
View Quote

This is my plan C, for both winter and summer emergencies. The camper has a furnace and AC. I installed MicroAir "soft start" board on the AC compressor to greatly reduce the starting current. It runs great off my Honda EU2000 generator. Summer heat is a bigger concern for me as heat bothers me more than cold.

Plan B is a woodstove that requires no electricity. It heats the whole 3,000 sq. ft. house nicely but uses very little wood due to it's high efficiency. Winters are mild here in SC but life has taught me to always have a backup plan.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nothing against the good folks of Minnesota but,,,,

1) Don't live where the weather can kill you.
2) Natty gas whole house genset
3) Back up gas generator
4) Fire place with enough firewood for two seasons.
5) Kerosene heaters on standby.
6) Well,,you get the message.
View Quote

There are very very few places in the entire world where the weather can’t kill you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Those are actually not legal to use in MN.

You do have to provide for fresh air and exhaust when you run them (crack a window on both ends of the room), and they cause moisture issues when run long term, but they work well. MN doesn't trust people to be smart enough know this, plus they are all obvious fire hard.

I've used them many times myself, but I was warned by my insurance company that if you have them installed, even if not using them, and you had a fire,because they are illegal the insurance company would likely deny your claim.
View Quote

Vent free heaters work better in mild climates than they do in severe cold climates. Mild climates the heat needs are low and houses are usually fairly loosely built (meaning more air changes). A tight house in a super cold climate like MN combined with a vent free heater is a recipe for disaster.

I have a few vent free heaters and they don’t get used much at all if ever. I’ve used lots of vent free heating over the years and now that I have vented heating in both house and shop, I will never willingly go back and use vent free again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I moved to Florida and as soon as I had $50 I put a hurricane kit together. I was dumbfounded how few people had one or cared to build one. Crazy
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Big daddy government will be there in my time of need.  They will come take what you have to give to the less fortunate
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Outside of the fact that kerosene heaters are slighlty more prone to operator error that can cause CO problems, there is nothing inherently more dangerous about kerosene as a fuel source. EVERYONE burning anything inside the house should have a CO detector anyways.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#44]
My plan is to live in AZ. I can heat my house with a birthday candle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:18:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Always a good idea to have a few options.  We have electric heaters if the furnace dies or just NG goes out, a tri-fuel Honda 2000 to run the furnace if we just lose electric and then a big buddy if all else fails.  

Also some wood for the fireplace, but that is really a pretty short term solution and won't heat the house, just keep people comfortable for a little while.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah he is badly mistaken. I would say it's not any fault of his own as there is a lot of internet hype on this. If burning kero all the time was deadly I wouldn't have made is past 1 year old
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern Constructed Homes are all about Energy Efficiency, and that is Mostly about their envelope closure (keeping exterior air out).   Much of the Engineered Air Exchange is mechanically provided (electric fans tied to A/C system).

Older homes had very poor sealing and therefore LOTS of (Unintended) air exchange with the exterior.

If you burned lots of Kerosene in a home built in the 40's, 50's 60s' (with all the unintended but beneficial air exchange) that is very different Vs. many homes built in the past 10-15 years.   Drafty Shack in the Back 40?  No problem.  Modern Construction running a non traditional - "unplanned" combustible fuel heating device indoors w/o a plan for ventilation can cause CO poisoning and that causes bad things.    

Intentional CO poisoning with Charcoal IS a method of suicide in Asia.  And every year when Hurricanes hit, some folks end up injured or dead from running a Generator inside their house (to avoid theft most often).

I'm not 100% saying that everyone using Kerosene (or wood or whatever) inside their houses will die or end up brain damaged, but it IS a fact that fresh air intake & exhaust gas removal DO have to be factored in & provided, especially in Newer Construction Homes.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Modern Constructed Homes are all about Energy Efficiency, and that is Mostly about their envelope closure (keeping exterior air out).   Much of the Engineered Air Exchange is mechanically provided (electric fans tied to A/C system).

Older homes had very poor sealing and therefore LOTS of (Unintended) air exchange with the exterior.

If you burned lots of Kerosene in a home built in the 40's, 50's 60s' (with all the unintended but beneficial air exchange) that is very different Vs. many homes built in the past 10-15 years.   Drafty Shack in the Back 40?  No problem.  Modern Construction running a non traditional - "unplanned" combustible fuel heating device indoors w/o a plan for ventilation can cause CO poisoning and that causes bad things.    

Intentional CO poisoning with Charcoal IS a method of suicide in Asia.  And every year when Hurricanes hit, some folks end up injured or dead from running a Generator inside their house (to avoid theft most often).

I'm not 100% saying that everyone using Kerosene (or wood or whatever) inside their houses will die or end up brain damaged, but it IS a fact that fresh air intake & exhaust gas removal DO have to be factored in & provided, especially in Newer Construction Homes.

BIGGER_HAMMER

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Having a CO detector is smart but I would have no issues using kero 24 hours a day in a home regardless of age. I base this on my past experiences using kero. But if anyone is concerned slightly cracking a window should ease that concern.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

WRONG!
             I grew up with kero heaters used in different areas of the house and no problem.

Also the house I live in now is 2 years old and extremely efficient and I use two older Kerosun heaters plus we have a digital CO detector and when I run the heaters there is no change in the reading.
Now I do however know how to run and upkeep the heaters. For instance I have them mounted on carts that I made for them and I light and shut them off outside.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Piss pot
Luggable loo
5 gallon bucket with hd trash bags
View Quote

Grab a couple Homer buckets with lids. Appropriately sized (larger that 5 gallon) trash bags. Bonus points if you cut a hole in the lid and attach a toilet seat. Make sure to double bag if you use cheap bags.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Crap, you mean to tell me that those plug in fake flame stoves won't same me?  Well SHIT.

My plan is to drain the water pipes. bust out the generator to run the garage natural gas heater.  Setup cots out there and pretend we are glamping in the winter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top