Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2021 12:00:12 AM EDT
A guy at work is selling a really nice  7mm STW.  For the price it is hard to pass up and I have always had a thing for magnum cartridges.i would be looking to use it for mule deer hunting in Wyoming.  Most of our shot opportunities are 400+ yards, so I would have a use for it.  

It's a rem, engraved 700 bdl, 26 in barrel with a brake.  It was a custom shop build from 1995.  Round count is about 50

I know it can be a barrel burner, but I would be looking to load 165 - 180 grain bullets which would keep it around 3000 fps. And with it being a hunting rifle it might see 300 rounds between the field and the range. Having said that I am not to concerned with barrel erosion.

The deal also comes with, brass, dies, 60 rounds of ammo and a Leupold vx-3

He is asking 1500 for the package, i don't really need it, but I could find a use for it.  What do you guys think
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the scope and the stock. Does it have a McMillan or factory Tupperware stock? Which VX3 scope? You’ll want to stop at 168gr bullets that are a VLD style because you won’t have enough twist at 9”. If it’s an 8” you can go higher but I’m willing to bet it’s a 9”.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the scope and the stock. Does it have a McMillan or factory Tupperware stock? Which VX3 scope? You’ll want to stop at 168gr bullets that are a VLD style because you won’t have enough twist at 9”. If it’s an 8” you can go higher but I’m willing to bet it’s a 9”.
View Quote

The scope is a VX-3 4x14 44mm.  It has the cheaper stock with a detachable magazine, and it comes with 2 of them.  I was going to ask about the twist rate to see if he knows.  

If he doesn't know the twist is there anyway of finding that out?

Little edit, he looked the the original receipt and it is a 1 in 9 twist
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a "custom shop build" with a cheap stock???

There are a million calibers suited for what you are after, but that is a very fine choice.  I am assuming that scope has been on there since the rifle was "born", so I personally would sell it and get one of their HD models.  I have a couple of Leupolds of that vintage, and my two new HD models are leaps and bounds better....

Ammo would be a concern for me.  I know you said it comes with 60 rds and brass/dies.  If so,do you have the other stuff to make ammo for it??  I realize that this ammo nonsense should not last forever, but what if it does?  I lucked into a bunch of 6.5 PRC eldx and eldms, and 7mm mag accubond ammo recently, otherwise, I would be sunk for a bit with both of those guns.  Actually, the only reason I bought the 6.5 was because I secured ammo for it first.  

ETA - Just checked Leupold's website.  They have very little in stock.  I'm sure you could find one of their scope elsewhere but would hate to see what others may be charging......
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I spoke with the guy selling it, he said the composite stock was the only option at the time with the detachable magazine.  And the stock isn't terrible but I would more than likely swap it out for an HS stock anyway.

I do have all the equipment to load, and I do so for all of my hunting rifles.  To " sweeten the deal, It also comes with a additional 100 once fired brass that he thought he gave to a buddy and never did.

The scope was bought about 10 years ago. It's pretty decent, I would compare it to my vortex viper

Idk I am kinda on the fence about it yet,. He offered I take it and shoot it, so I am definitely going to do that soon
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can make everything work, I say buy it.  You know for a fact that it only has 50 rounds through it.  Buy one at a gun show and they will tell you it has 50 rounds through it then you may find out it is wrecked.....
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Shooo.... Compared it to the 280 ackley i just bought. 17 more grains of powder to to get an extra 150 fps on 160 grain pills. You would def be able to push the 180 and higher loads with it.

Not sure what the brass availablility is like. I had a hard time finding ackley brass and it was spendy.

Buy it if it will work for you. My 280 savage has impressed me so far. I wanted it for the same reason, dreaming of a hunt out west
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Little update,

I got him down to $1000 with out the scope on the rifle,  so as soon as I get my xmas bonus I will be adding another one to the collection.

just have to save my pennies for a pile of upgrades
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Dose anyone have any experience with HS precision mags?  I am debating on going with their setup, or a PTG bottom metal and going with AICS magizines.  Or any better options?
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Have several STW but model 70's.  Run 140 nosler BT @3300.  Great round.   I wouldn't worry about buying the barrel out.  If u do manage it, you have had alot of fun shooting it.   You will need to reload for it but it's easy if you have common rifle reloading skills
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Dupe
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Little update,

I got him down to $1000 with out the scope on the rifle,  so as soon as I get my xmas bonus I will be adding another one to the collection.

just have to save my pennies for a pile of upgrades
View Quote

I really like that cartridge -- i would do that too
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#13]
The stw is about the limit for the 7mm in my opinion. Once you go past it, like the 7mm rum, it burns more powder with almost no practical gain.  Brass can be made.  Same as the 8mm rem mag and the 416 Remington.  I wouldn’t say no to it but I’d do it in a model 70
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top