Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2023 8:50:56 PM EDT
6M season is fast approaching.  If you don't have a 6M antenna then here is an easy one to build and it will land you some decent DX too.  I've got one hanging from a 65ft pine tree in my backyard and it has been a champ.

6 Meter Ladder Line Antenna Build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FgxejH1COc
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I put my cushcraft 3 element together in February
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The only 6m contacts I have made were people I contacted on 2m and asked to qsy so i could get another band on POTA.

I always try and get nothing. FM and SSB calling frequ
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
VHF contests are good for a few 6m contacts, running just a diy folded dipole here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I made a 6m Dipole a few month ago and didn't hear a fart, from end to end...

I was really disappointed..
I made a 10m same format and I reached Slovenia...

My club does a 2m Simplex net on Thursdays, then they they qsy to either
2m, 6m or 10m ssb...

I've never got any of my local peeps on ssb..

Wait, I did once get a semi-local guy about 50 miles away on my 2m Vertical ssb..

Me only up about 25-30', him with a 100' tower on a huge hillside...
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2m, 6m or 10m ssb...

Wait, I did once get a semi-local guy about 50 miles away on my 2m Vertical ssb..

View Quote

Usually people will be using horizontal antennas SSB and vertical on FM for VHF. I would ask them before they switch over....... could be your issue.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Usually people will be using horizontal antennas SSB and vertical on FM for VHF. I would ask them before they switch over....... could be your issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2m, 6m or 10m ssb...

Many are not used to polarization as a consideration, with F layer propagation on HF it's mostly a non-issue, but on higher bands like 6m and definitely anything above 6m, it's a consideration.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget that 6 meters now is 99 percent FT8 on 50.313.

I have 49 states (still need Alaska) and 74 countries confirmed.

If you are looking for 6 meter activity and you are not on 50.313, then you are looking in the wrong place most of the time.
Sometimes people will got to CW for a little bit from FT8, but the old days are gone.

If you want to work US and Canada and Mexico out to about 1100 miles during the "off season" the Meteor Scatter can be your friend. It is ALL MSK144 mode and on 50.260.  Of course during E season it can be mixed Es and Meteors.

But if you are putting up a dipole and listening on 50.125 SSB, you will have little success nowadays. 5 years ago yes Now, no. Switch to FT8 on 50.313. During field day you will also have a lot of guys on FT4 on 50.318.  

Good hunting.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you are looking for 6 meter activity and you are not on 50.313, then you are looking in the wrong place most of the time.
Sometimes people will got to CW for a little bit from FT8, but the old days are gone.

If you want to work US and Canada and Mexico out to about 1100 miles during the "off season" the Meteor Scatter can be your friend. It is ALL MSK144 mode and on 50.260.  Of course during E season it can be mixed Es and Meteors.

But if you are putting up a dipole and listening on 50.125 SSB, you will have little success nowadays. 5 years ago yes Now, no. Switch to FT8 on 50.313. During field day you will also have a lot of guys on FT4 on 50.318.  

Good hunting.
View Quote

Wouldn't you see those signals on the waterfall, even if you weren't setup to decode or do anything with them???
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wouldn't you see those signals on the waterfall, even if you weren't setup to decode or do anything with them???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good hunting.

Certainly if they were of a strength that you would notice and your span was enough to encompass them. Go there now, and you will likely find some stateside Es signals on 50.313 as the day heats up..  Many of these signals can be pretty weak, but when the Es season gets into full swing they are certainly easy to see.  And hear for that matter. In the mornings you can hear the meteor scatter signals on 50.260.  They are MSK 144 and will have a totally unmistakable very "intense"  sound. Each period is 15 seconds.  Better yet, load the WSJT-x software and start decoding these sigs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#11]
All three local 6M repeaters are DOA. Guess I'll put the 10M antenna back on the car.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2m, 6m or 10m ssb...

I wondered about that, so I asked...
All or should I say most of the folks I would talk to local are running either Dipole, Squalo, Moxon or a Beam on 6-160m.
Then Verticals and beams for 2m..

For 6m, I've tried a Dipole I built using an online calc, speaker wire, a connector, several sticks of PVC conduit and my MFJ analyzer.
Even if I wasn't getting out, you'd think I'd see a few spikes, even if not copy-able..

I tried 2 6m Ham Stick up about 30' on a MFJ Horizontal adapter, I tried 1 single 6m stick on a vertical, stuck in decent farm soil, with up up too 16, 33' Ground radials. Not even a peep...

If I switched the 6mm Horizontal Ham sticks out with 10m hamsticks, I get stuff from one end of the dial to the other, same height or my 10m Speaker wire Dipole it it does pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
6m is dead, until it's not. It's not an HF band.

Also, if no one ever transmits, there won't be anything to receive. Throwing out a signal every now and then isn't a bad thing.

Most of the weak signal folks have gone to FT8 apparently, so just monitoring that frequency might be useful. That's what I would be doing at this point on 6, unless you're on FM.

For FT8/CW/SSB type modes I'd use horizontal polarization, about 25 to 30 feet up is a good height for takeoff angle for E skip. Too high is counterproductive most of the time. Much higher with a high gain antenna will help with F layer or just tropo.

I was really close to DXCC on 6m SSB with just a dipole made from parts from a broken TV antenna. When E is open it doesn't take much. Trying to use some kind of multiband HF antenna will be an exercise in useless frustration though, as if 6m isn't frustrating enough.

FM stuff is generally vertical polarization.

On HF, antenna polarization is mostly discussed with regards to signal patterns, takeoff angles and mechanical/physical considerations. F layer propagation mostly randomizes polarization, reflected signals are generally an ever changing elliptical polarization. Received signal fades are often polarization fades, as the received polarization fluctuates in comparison to the receive antenna. VHF+ though, polarization itself becomes much more important as most propagation modes on these frequencies preserves the transmitted polarization. Even Sporadic E seems to somewhat preserve polarization, much more so than F layer propagation does.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]

when six is open, I go to 10m, because it’s “moe” open

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

when six is open, I go to 10m, because it’s “moe” open
View Quote

If 6 is open via Sporadic E, then 10 likely will be as well generally to shorter distances.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#16]
6 Meter was open tonight.

Made contact with Minn and SD from the Gulf Coast with just a sloping wire up in a tree.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
6 Meter was open tonight.

Made contact with Minn and SD from the Gulf Coast with just a sloping wire up in a tree.

View Quote
Seems it was very open e-skip last night. I made a dozen contacts from Virginia into Texas Oklahoma New York California and others voice. Then got on ft8 and made a dozen more.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Made a couple contacts in Canada 50.170 150 miles north of Toronto tonight.

Going to try tomorrow night 50.135 around 20:00 Hr's Central time.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Made a couple contacts in Canada 50.170 150 miles north of Toronto tonight.

Going to try tomorrow night 50.135 around 20:00 Hr's Central time.
View Quote

That's a little late in the evening for the typical E skip contact, not that it can't happen, just not as common. Mid to late afternoon is usually the peak, most often dying out around sunset.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#20]
6m meteor scatter is fun too.  Could usually get a few contacts a day from Michigan.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Lots of CW and SSB and FT8 on 6 meters this morning from Missouri. I did manage to work Ukraine of FT8 for a new one. Will see if he QSL's via LOTW.  I saw several Ukraine stations, but only managed to work one, and tried pretty hard for Bulgaria also, but he was in and out and didn't manage to snag him. A small local thunderstorm cropped up and I shut down.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#22]
You worked Ukraine on 6m?!?!
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You worked Ukraine on 6m?!?!
View Quote

I most certainly did. I have 74 countries confirmed on 6 meters, this would make 75.  I heard 3 other Ukraine stations but was not able to work them and I was also NOT able to work the Bulgaria station. He was very weak. And QSB was bad.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I most certainly did. I have 74 countries confirmed on 6 meters, this would make 75.  I heard 3 other Ukraine stations but was not able to work them and I was also NOT able to work the Bulgaria station. He was very weak. And QSB was bad.
View Quote

Have you ever worked Alaska on 6m? Because I don't think it works up here...
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:29:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lots of CW and SSB and FT8 on 6 meters this morning from Missouri. I did manage to work Ukraine of FT8 for a new one. Will see if he QSL's via LOTW.  I saw several Ukraine stations, but only managed to work one, and tried pretty hard for Bulgaria also, but he was in and out and didn't manage to snag him. A small local thunderstorm cropped up and I shut down.
View Quote

Congrats on Ukraine.  I watched you work him.   I was like "I know that call, I see him posting on eHam and AR15 all the time" so then I worked you.

I did not decode a single EU station yesterday but did decode V26OC Antigua and Barbuda for a while but no love. Would have been a new one for me. Sitting at 96.
I did get two new FFMA grids yesterday FM25 and DM49.  THat gets me to 401 FFMA grids.

8nBAIT

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:37:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just need AK for WAS 6m also. Would be new 6m DX as well.  ALOT of guys need AK on 6m.   PLease please try this summer.  You would be like the Bouvet of 6m.

You can build a 6m hexbeam for like $5.  I made one for field day a few years ago and it works pretty well.  I hang it from a tree branch with a rope and turn it with a 24ft painters pole.   I can take pics of the one I made with dimensions and send it to you.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alaska is the last cookie in the jar for me statewise. I would love to work Alaska on 6. Hawaii was pretty easy from here. I have  worked it multiple times on 6, and what is crazy is that Japan is also pretty easy from here (Missouri) but going right over the head of you guys in Alaska, You have to wonder why it is so hard. The buddy that I hunt DX with has worked Alaska, Yes he has more "juice", bigger beam and more power, but I have always missed it. So if you hear me. please call.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Congrats on Ukraine.  I watched you work him.   I was like "I know that call, I see him posting on eHam and AR15 all the time" so then I worked you.

I did not decode a single EU station yesterday but did decode V26OC Antigua and Barbuda for a while but no love. Would have been a new one for me. Sitting at 96.
I did get two new FFMA grids yesterday FM25 and DM49.  THat gets me to 401 FFMA grids.

8nBAIT

View Quote

Tnx for the call on 6 meters.  The EU opening yesterday was weak and fleeting. some of this is just luck, being right there when it opens for a couple of minutes. I also need that V26, so don't hog em if you hear em. Leave some for me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I will need some coaching on 6m, but I’m happy to buy a portable yagi and go set up at the beach when the propagation looks good
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Well what would you like to know?  A 3 ele yagi would be great. Even a 2 El Moxon.. Which is what I have.  The Par Moxon weighs 3 lbs pretty light and pretty small as it is a "bent radiator.  I would have said that SSB and CW would be fairly dead, but that is not what I saw yesterday. There was a lot of CW and SSB was pretty well represented. But during weak signal conditions. FT8 is king on 50.313  Six meter activity will usually start there. And if signals are real good, It looks like many will venture to CW and SSB.  A half wavelength above ground would be what 10 ft? 500 or 600 watts is nice, but I worked a lot of countries with 100 watts.  Just glance at the waterfall on 50.313, and when it starts filling up is when you need to get real interested.  What other questions do you have?

Es season starts in late May and runs to the first week of August.  The little Es season starts Dec 1st and runs to MAYBE Feb 1. BUT F2 CAN happen if the MUF gets high enough, AND there are lots of "mixed" modes Es mixed with TEP (Trans Equatorial Prop.) and Es mixed with Meteor scatter. Meteor scatter is every day mornings until about noon, on 50.260 and the mode is MFSK144.  Totally unique. But best DX is about 1100 miles. Unless mixed with another propagation mode. 6 is the magic band because it does things that we fully don't understand. Like why is it easy to work Japan, even China, but not Alaska. Part of it is probably the lack of stations in Alaska. But the band does stupid unexpected things, punctuated by long times of silence. "let them eat static" was a quote from the wrath of Khan, but it applies well to 6 meter operators.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#31]
By the way, 6M has been a bust here today. Maybe a 100 decodes so far, it is about 1:30 Pm here in Missouri, NO DX at all, Just stateside and an few VE's  Not even any Caribbean or South American's at all Let alone EU or Asia. But that is the way 6 does you, feast or famine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#32]
The MUF has been so low up here, I haven’t made a 10m SSB contact since 3-28…. I have a Diamond CP610 I could set up to just listen to 6m FT8 continually during the day.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#33]
what antenna did you work Ukraine with ?

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
what antenna did you work Ukraine with ?

View Quote

My 2 element Moxon at 45 feet.  You can see it on my QRZ page It is the upper antenna above the MA5b and of course below the 2M hustler vertical

SM 50 stressed Moxon
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My 2 element Moxon at 45 feet.  You can see it on my QRZ page It is the upper antenna above the MA5b and of course below the 2M hustler vertical

SM 50 stressed Moxon
View Quote

That is amazing

I need to pay more attention to 6m

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#36]

odd pattern but people are biting
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I've messed with it on FT8 but not too much phone. Need to try it out more often.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

SM 50 stressed Moxon
View Quote

sweet mother of god.

life goals.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Lets see If I can list the confirmed countries:

DXCC Entity6M
ANGUILLAVP2EIH
ARGENTINALW2EDM
ARUBAP41E
AZORESCU3AK
BAHAMASC6ADX
BALEARIC ISLANDSEA6VQ
BARBADOS8P6ET
BELGIUMON4GG
BELIZEV31MA
BERMUDAVP9NM
BONAIREPJ4EVA
BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINAE73S
BRAZILPV8DX
CANADAVE4EA
CANARY ISLANDSEA8DBM
CAYMAN ISLANDSZF1RC
CHILECE6CGX
COLOMBIAHK6G
COSTA RICATI2CDA
CROATIA9A5M
CUBACM2XN
CURACAOPJ2BR
CZECH REPUBLICOK1NP
DENMARKOZ1ADL
DOMINICAJ73WA
DOMINICAN REPUBLICHI8SMX
ECUADORHC1HC
EL SALVADORYS1RS
ENGLANDG3TXF
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANYDJ9KG
FINLANDOH1MLZ
FRANCEF6ITD
GREENLANDOX3LX
GRENADAJ35X
GUADELOUPEFG8OJ
GUATEMALATG9ADQ
HAITIHH2MK
HAWAIINH6Y
HUNGARYHA5WA
IRELANDEI4DQ
ITALYI6WJB
JAPANJA7QVI
MADEIRA ISLANDSCT3MD
MARTINIQUEFM5AN
MAURITANIA5T5PA
MEXICOXE2JS
MONTENEGRO4O3A
NETHERLANDSPH7A
NORTHERN IRELANDGI4SJQ
NORWAYLA2XPA
PANAMAHP2DFA
PERUOA4TT
POLANDSP3QDM
PORTUGALCT1ILT
PUERTO RICOWP3EF
REPUBLIC OF KOREAHL3GOB
SAINT LUCIAJ68HZ
SAINT MARTINFS/W8HC
SCOTLANDGM3POI
SERBIAYU1EL
SLOVENIAS58T
SPAINEA1NK
SURINAMEPZ5RA
SWEDENSA7BXU
SWITZERLANDHB9BGV
TRINIDAD & TOBAGO9Y4D
UNITED NATIONS HQ4U1UN
UNITED STATES OF AMERICAN0AN
URUGUAYCX7CO
US VIRGIN ISLANDSKV4FZ
VENEZUELAYV5JLO
WALESGW7SMV

Copyright 2023 American Radio Relay League, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use/Privacy Policy
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#40]
6m is doing alright on FT8 right now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I printed JA7QVI on 6 meters on 50.313 a couple of minutes ago.

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow that's cool. Longest I've seen so far is Canuckistan.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#43]
6 meter propagation is both amazing and frustrating.  Here in NV, I've got a 4el LFA at 25', my view to the east / southeast is unobstructed for dozens of miles...  I've got close mountains to the west / southwest, but a decent path to JA in the northwest.  I don't think I've ever heard JA.  EU made it here a few times (last year); the Caribbean is a rarity and the only time I've heard South America was a over a few straight days several weeks ago (got Brazil, Chile, etc in the log for the first time ever).

Openings for us are usually to TX first, the upper midwest after and occasionally the east coast.  I'm looking at PSKReporter in amazement at the moment seeing JA hitting very small spots in WA state and in the eastern third of the US.  Nobody I know here locally has much of any luck with JA or EU.  Still, I keep trying!  It's looking like TX and Mexico are starting to roll in now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276146/6m-2836980.png

View Quote

Why is that odd? That's a not-atypical E skip opening.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 2:51:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276146/6m-2836980.png

Because they aren't old like us and recall the good times.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I need to get my 3 element yagi up. I have had it for 4 years and put it up once for a bit 4 years ago but didn't make any contacts.

Picked it up at a ham fest for $75
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I need to get my 3 element yagi up. I have had it for 4 years and put it up once for a bit 4 years ago but didn't make any contacts.

View Quote

If you are going to do it, now would be a good time. In the first week of August, this will all be over.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you are going to do it, now would be a good time. In the first week of August, this will all be over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks didnt know that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

thanks didnt know that.
View Quote

Yeah, typically the summer Es season ends in about the first week of August. But that don't mean it can't fool us. 6 meters is kind of unpredictable. The Winter Es season usually starts about the first week of December, and runs through January, BUT it is the weaker of the two, but can also come early or run long. It is just hard to say. There were some early openings to Oceania in April. My buddy got in on some VK/ZL action. I missed it. Anything is possible. Of course if you have a really good antenna and some power you are going to do better. Just like anywhere else.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#50]
The Ukraine confirmation just came thru on LOTW

Details   K0UA   UT5EL     2023-05-31 16:25:00   6M  FT8      50.31332      UKRAINE      Selected    6M; Challenge
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top