Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2022 1:36:14 PM EDT
Just curious if there are guidelines on game type/size/distance where such ammo is a sound and competitive choice for game hunting.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
there are guidelines:

for example: maintaining > 1,000 ft./-lb. is considered ethical for whitetail deer

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
For .223, because it's a fairly high velocity but small projectile, I prefer to stick with a bonded bullet.  

The Federal Fusion, which is a 62gr soft point bonded design (Speer Gold Dot projectile) is a fantastic deer round and I have killed numerous whitetails with it.  Even a 200+lb live weight buck here in Wisconsin.  Through the rib cage they will exit MOST of the time.  Unless you hit the shoulder blade or something more significant than ribs.  Longest shot has been 100yds.  I like to keep them close with the 223.  IMO, this is NOT a 'high shoulder' hit that a lot of people like to take on whitetails.  It's a chest cavity only round.  

Just saying 62gr soft point isn't enough though, how is that 62gr soft point constructed?  A standard 62gr cup and core soft point isn't going to perform nearly the same as the 62gr bonded soft point.  Especially when distances are short, velocity is high, and projectile is small.  That is a recipe for a cup and core non bonded bullet to come apart quickly and not penetrate into the vitals reliably.  This will result in a poor blood trail, the animal making it a significant distance and potentially not expiring at all.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#3]
The cheap softpoint 5.56 I have bought worked fine on hogs.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't use a 5.56 for deer. I know people say it's fine, but from personal experience I'm not a fan.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
62gr GD and 55gr TBC work great on deer and fmj for head shots.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OKnativeson] [#6]
I know its top notch on Oklahoma Whitetails and Hogs. I grade all .223 loads on the Winchester 64gr loading. I've had excellent results with it for decades. we don't take head shots. only chest and lower neck shots.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I know several people in Oklahoma that use .223 for both hogs and deer. It's been very effective on them. I also seen one taken that exhibited more muscle damage that any other 30 cal or larger hit and passed cleanly through the body at an angle (Enter front left shoulder and exited in the rear right quarter). This deer had major bruising and muscle trauma extending from the top of the neck, halfway down the front leg and back pass the end of the rib cage. Bullet selection as mentioned is needed. Any good bonded bullet will do.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Shot placement....62 green tip will do the job you just have to do your job.  If you don't respect the animal enough to wait for a good shot then you don't need to be hunting.  1/3 up and 1/3 back from front of chest dumps all that energy in heart/lungs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By southerncross:
I use the Federal Fusion 62gr 223 on deer and hogs. Works fine if you can hit your point of aim.
View Quote

Agree.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:23:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Jerry] [#11]
I have no experience with 62 grain softpoints  but have taken game with 65 grain Sierra Game King Bullets in the 65 grain size over 22.2 grains of H322.  

Here's an example of a decent Florida buck with this load.  The bullet did its job and destroyed the interior of the deer while exiting under the hide on the ‘passenger’ side. I recovered the bullet and found that it retained 71% or 46 grains of the original weight while the end diameter mushroomed to .420 at the widest point.

This load is exactly what I had wished for in that it expended all of its energy in the deer and unfortunately did not punch a hole through.  I was fortunate as the deer after being hit ran towards me and dropped eliminating tracking.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:54:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#12]
I wouldn’t say much without being bullet specific.  I suspect most above 60 grains are built with controlled expansion in mind and are not in the class of explosive varmint bullets.  

+1 on win 64 grain, they sold it as a cxp2 light skinned big game bullet and as a LE round just by changing the box   The Sierra 65 grain soft point works well too.  Neither are bonded but typical construction.

If money was not an obstacle I would buy bonded or even a well rated all copper alloy that actually opens.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Barnes 5.56 62 grain or 70 grain TSX will wreck a deer with exits even hitting the shoulder.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#14]
62gr recovered from a deer after passing through far side shoulder blade.
147 XTP is a water jug recovery.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AaronR:
there are guidelines:

for example: maintaining > 1,000 ft./-lb. is considered ethical for whitetail deer

View Quote

This is FUDD nonsense. You will be unable to find any scientific study that backs up the claim of 1000ft/lb.

Standard 62gr softpoints are fine for shorter ranges with impact velocities above 2,200 fps as a guess on game such as deer. I would keep it under 200 yards unless I'm shooting at predators.

62/64gr fusion or gold dot can be confidently used down to 1800fps on anything you desire to shoot.

I would ask why limit yourself to 62gr soft points?
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used the Federal 64 grain soft points on antelope out to 400 yards. No complaints.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9over40] [#17]
Biggest buck I ever took was on a ranch off of 44 about 5 miles from Encinal, Texas.   9 point close to a 175 pounds.
Ruger Mini-14 with a Winchester 64 grain soft point.
Prior to this all of our other game taken was with either a 30/30 or British .303.
Solid hit above the left shoulder where it meets the neck.  He jumped and ran about 50 yards.  
When we processed it; my dad was amazed at the damage the round did.  My dad served in the USMC during WW2 in the pacific.  He saw a lot of stuff but he made a comment later in the truck that no one would have survived that round.  
That was the last time he went hunting with me in 2007. He passed the following year.  
I have used Winchester 55 grain silver tips on hogs but wouldn’t recommend them.  They fragment too much.  Back in the day I bought monarch 55 grain soft point from academy. Works good on pigs, marauding raccoons and coyotes but for deer I will stick with the 64 grain PowerPoint
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used Barnes factory 62 grain TSX loads or my own 62 TTSX handholds on deer.  Never a problem putting deer down, shots on my land are generally under 100 yards.  

I've found one expanded bullet, and it weighed 62 grains and expanded to maybe .6"
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I loaded some Sierra 62 grain Game Kings for one of my son's brother-in-law .223 rifle.  He was pretty impressed with them.  All three of his kids killed a deer, his wife killed a deer, he killed a couple.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 4:23:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AaronR] [#20]
Originally Posted By ARK_Ginger:

This is FUDD nonsense. You will be unable to find any scientific study that backs up the claim of 1000ft/lb.

Standard 62gr softpoints are fine for shorter ranges with impact velocities above 2,200 fps as a guess on game such as deer. I would keep it under 200 yards unless I'm shooting at predators.

62/64gr fusion or gold dot can be confidently used down to 1800fps on anything you desire to shoot.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
there are guidelines:

arfcom never disappoints.....

you basically described keeping the energy near or > 1000ft.-lbs.

also guidelines are not always necessarily backed by scientific studies; this guideline for whitetail is attributed to Col. Townsend Whelen
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#21]
there are guidelines:

View Quote

Muh bow & arrow
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:20:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#22]

also guidelines are not always necessarily backed by scientific studies; this guideline for whitetail is attributed to Col. Townsend Whelen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
there are guidelines:

You sure about that?  

I’ll also add that P.O. Ackley said the .220 swift was the greatest killer of game animals in North America.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I like to use Barnes TSX/TTSX solid copper bullets for deer when I’m using a .223. They’re accurate and the terminal performance is hard to argue with - controlled expansion with nearly 100% weight retention every time. I typically get a clean pass through with a big exit wound but still lots of energy transfer along the way.

I’ve had good results even just using cheap PMC Bronze 55gr. SP’s. Deer aren’t that hard to kill with proper shot placement.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By tnaaron81:
Barnes 5.56 62 grain or 70 grain TSX will wreck a deer with exits even hitting the shoulder.
View Quote

Yep, in 5.56 the heavier the better. For me, that’s 70grns,  75grns, or 77grns.

The 77grn OTM is explosive on deer and other critters too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I have used Speer 62gr Gold dot from my 16” AR carbine to take several deer and hogs with very good results.  I shoot from close range so I neck shoot.   One of the deer or hogs went more than a step or two with most dropping immediately
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top