Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2020 7:05:16 PM EDT
Want to buy a rifle for my grandkids.  Want it in 6.5 Grendel because that is what I already have as a pistol for alternative season and I don't own any .243 guns.

My limited research leads me to landing on one of the two rifles in the subject line.

Who has experience and/or opinions on them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a RA Predator and a 1500 Mini.

I bought them both as hunting rifles.  Considering my average shot on a deer is about 50 yards, I haven't shot either at any distance.  They're bot plenty accurate for my purposes.

Got the 1500 barreled action with heavy barrel from Brownells on sale, and put it in a Boyd's At-One.  Dropped right in.

Since Boyd's finally started making stocks for the Pred., Santa brought me a Varmint Thumbhole for it.  It's taken a lot of fitting.  

I had to send the Ruger in to get fixed.  After 3 shots, the bolt would lock up.  I had to beat it open with a mallet.  To Ruger's credit, they fixed it, and had it back to me in a week.

Even still, I'd give the edge to the Howa, personal preference maybe.  I like the heavier barrel, and I think the trigger is a little nicer.

I'd say get whichever is going to be cheaper overall.  After stocks & glass, I have more into the Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with a CZ 527, mostly because they had the closest factory set-up for what I was looking for. A smaller lighter action and a short threaded barrel, the 527 Suppressor Ready.

From what I have seen the Cz, Howa and Ruger are all good shooting rifles and each has some short coming.

The Ruger American uses a standard short action so it inherently is heavier and larger. But it uses cheap and easy to find AR mags. A standard synthetic stock and accu trigger style trigger.

The Howa mini action comes with cheesy plastic bottom "metal" and magazines. There is aftermarket bottom metal available or Chassis that take different mags. The standard synthetic stock is pretty flexy but I like the 2 stage trigger. New for 2020 is a folding stock model.

The CZ 527 has a nice mini mauser action with a great factory trigger. The standard trigger pull is 2lbs but the set trigger feature is like 1/4lb. 5rd mags are $40. The biggest down side to me is the scope mounts are proprietary and because of action design no low mounts are available.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Howa Mini Action and my best friend bought a Ruger to compare them. We both agree that the Howa has the edge over the Ruger, but the one  recommendation I have is buy an aftermarket mag release if you go with the Howa.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Howa Mini Action and my best friend bought a Ruger to compare them. We both agree that the Howa has the edge over the Ruger, but the one  recommendation I have is buy an aftermarket mag release if you go with the Howa.
View Quote
Which mag release do you recommend and why does the Howa need their mag release replaced?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok,

So, if Howa...

Which platform?

Hmmmm?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
dupe
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
What are the differences between the Howa 22" standard barrel and 20" heavy barrel?

Why choose one over the other?

Why offer both?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
@angryguns

I've bought the Howa Mini Action and have a question:

which after-market mag release do you recommend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@angryguns

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@angryguns

Thanks
@Deuskid

I got the DIPinc. aftermarket release and haven't looked back. The reason I recommend replacing the factory mag release is that it's way too easy to bump the factory mag release and drop your mag. Since I use this rig for hunting the last thing I want to do is lose my mag on the way to my stand.

I bought my Howa off the EE and it was shortened down to a 18" barrel and threaded. I like the length of the barrel for I plan on using my Tranquilo on it as  soon as it's freed from suppressor jail. You will be surprised by it's accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a big fan of CZ bolt action rifles.

I have two CZ 527s chambered in Grendel; one custom that started life as a 7.62x39, the other the new factory Suppressor-Ready model. Also have a Suppressor-Ready model in .300 Blackout.

I had a Howa in Grendel for a while. It was alright, but I wasn't impressed with the accuracy I was getting out of it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]
@mi650
@angryguns

What scope and mounting hardware do you have on you Howa?
Any good source[s] for magazines?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Weaver rail, Leupold rings, and a Burris Veracity 3-15.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#14]
On my Howa I use a DNZ Game Reaper Howa Mini Action mount and a Nikon Prostaff P5 3-12x42sf, and on my LaRue 6.5 grendel I'm using a LaRue LT204 with a Burris XTR ii 2-10x42.

The question about magazines, well...... you got to choices right now. You could stick with the factory mags or you could send your stock to CDI and have them instill their bottom metal which allows you to use AICS magazine's.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#15]
@angryguns

I picked up my howa yesterday and went on line to look at DiPinc aftermarket release.  Found this video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKg8Q7P2Y_0

Did you have to swap the mag lever like this video shows?

Did you modify the level like this guy had done?

I assume Howa mags fit the DiP release?

Do you have a good source for additional mags in 6.5 grendel?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Didn't want to spend the time watching the video, but when I had mine, yes, had to swap in the factory mag catch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Cannot find a mini mag in 5 round [do they even make a 10 round?] anywhere.  Even Legacy is out of stock

Only mag review I could find was Brownell purchaser who rated it poor and over-priced [but did praise the firearm itself].

Shame that they want so much for a bit of plastic and then cannot even have them in stock.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel.  You can just shorten the mag release lever with a dremel and it will work fine.  From the factory it's too long and too easy to bump.  Grind it down to about 1/2 the original length and it's good to go.  Also the rifle carries much better if you shorten the mag.

I'm 6' 2" and mine is in a cut down youth stock with the barrel shortened to 16.25" .  It's a fantastic platform for a tree stand or for carrying and the small sample of deer I have shot have been DRT.

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel, a fantastic platform for Grendel bolt gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top