Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2019 2:17:33 AM EDT
OK the set up....

Have a 243 Ruger bolt gun - very sweet - seen it take seven deer.  The track record is three have ran about 50 yards.  The other four were dropped in place.

I have set up a AR in the grendel with a 20 inch heavy barrel.  Have a 5 to 25 FFP Scope - and want to have fun with the gun - it is a very sweet shooting rifle.  and do love the bigger holes in the paper so far.

This is the round/gun that is pushing me to get into reloading.  seems with some of the lighter 6.5 bullets you are almost getting 243 performance out of a standard AR platform - been looking hard at the 100 gr partitions in the 6.5. load data shows about 2600 yo 2700 FPS.  The max shot that I would have on a deer that I would take is 225 yards.

Is that a good choice - what do you recomend better?

Red
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a reloader but for factory ammo, Hornady SST 123gr does a great job
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a reloader but for factory ammo, Hornady SST 123gr does a great job
View Quote
This is always the standard answer in all of the countless threads asking the same question.

I used an 18" last year, using a 12.5" this year. 123SST gets it done.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
My 20-inch Grendel doesn't like any bullet under 130 grains.  It does shoot the Sierra 130 grain Game Changer extremely well.  My load is 28.0 grains of W748, Starline case, Winchester or CCI standard small rifle primer, bullet seated to magazine length.  This is five rounds.  The first one was the upper right.  I adjusted and shot four more rounds.  Range is 100 yards.  3" dot.

My Grendel.

Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot plenty of hogs, deer and black buck with Hornady Black ELD and Hornady American Gunner (The original Hornady Black). For whatever reason the Hornady SST shoots like crap out of my PSA 12" and my older Ballistic Advantage 12"
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is always the standard answer in all of the countless threads asking the same question.

View Quote
+1

Only downside is that the bullet will dump every ft/lb of energy into the deer and usually not exit the backside.  If you like massive blood trails, the 123gr SST probably isn't for you.

If you like DRTs and can live with an animal occasionally running 50 yards after being hit, this is your bullet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
A little too late to test this year, but I've got some 99gr hammer hunters in load development.

I can tell you the 123gr ELD's don't leave a good blood trail, but they do kill deer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone shoot with the 120gr Fusions?

Quoted:
I've shot plenty of hogs, deer and black buck with Hornady Black ELD and Hornady American Gunner (The original Hornady Black). For whatever reason the Hornady SST shoots like crap out of my PSA 12" and my older Ballistic Advantage 12"
View Quote
Since this is from a few weeks ago... @TX-Zen

I know you've shot a bunch of piggies. Do you see a big difference in hog-killing performance from any of those rounds? ELD, SST, or the Gunner stuff?

I'm kinda feeling on the fence about the SST right now. I've shot a lot of it and it's accurate in my 12" gun, but doesn't seem like it's doing huge damage on hogs. Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe my placement is bad, whatever.

I'm about to start reloading and trying to decide on what bullet to start with.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know you've shot a bunch of piggies. Do you see a big difference in hog-killing performance from any of those rounds? ELD, SST, or the Gunner stuff?

I'm kinda feeling on the fence about the SST right now. I've shot a lot of it and it's accurate in my 12" gun, but doesn't seem like it's doing huge damage on hogs. Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe my placement is bad, whatever.

View Quote
I really don't see much difference in any caliber, or bullet. My wingman shoots 223 and I shoot typically 5.45 or 6.5g. We get the about the same number of kills each time we go out

Not claiming to be a ballistic expert but at the distances we shoot at (less than 100 yards) I'm just not seeing any obvious differences
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really don't see much difference in any caliber, or bullet. My wingman shoots 223 and I shoot typically 5.45 or 6.5g. We get the about the same number of kills each time we go out

Not claiming to be a ballistic expert but at the distances we shoot at (less than 100 yards) I'm just not seeing any obvious differences
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was kind of hoping for a magic bullet

But thanks, I'm sure you're right.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+1

Only downside is that the bullet will dump every ft/lb of energy into the deer and usually not exit the backside.  If you like massive blood trails, the 123gr SST probably isn't for you.

If you like DRTs and can live with an animal occasionally running 50 yards after being hit, this is your bullet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I used a Grendel for the 1st time this past season, 123 gr SST.

Shot a 6 point, quartering away, no exit, he went about 70 yards.  Turned his lungs into goo.

It would have been a very difficult blood trail if not for the snow.

If I stick with the Grendel, I'll be using a different bullet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Shot a 6 point, quartering away, no exit, he went about 70 yards.  Turned his lungs into goo.

View Quote
Yeah, those 123 SSTs really liquify the vitals.

No exits on big deer though so not much blood to trail.

I have had a really high percentage of DRTs with them.

When they do run a bit, you better be watching where they go because you’re not going to find much blood.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When they do run a bit, you better be watching where they go because you’re not going to find much blood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is just as I found him.  Next to nothing for blood.

Better view of the entrance wound.  There wasn't an exit.

Link Posted: 1/16/2020 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/D88vuNu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LXNbEV8.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, I am yet to see an exit wound on any of the deer I have shot with the 123 SST.

Small entrance hole, no exit and completely jellied boiler room.

It is one hell of a devastating bullet.  It just doesn't exit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, I am yet to see an exit wound on any of the deer I have shot with the 123 SST.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/D88vuNu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LXNbEV8.jpg

Shooting the 243 - I love the Hornaday Interlock - I always get an exit.

I Wish they made an Interlock in the 6.5 - I just do not see it.

I have bought the 125 gr partitions to start with  and see where it ends up.

Red
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I've DRT killed a deer with 120 Nosler Ballistic tip, no exit

Killed a bunch of hogs with the 123 SST, don't get a lot of exits either
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
No result yet, but I'm collecting Nosler 129gr AccuBond Long Range bullets to reload. That seems pretty ideal for the Grendel in my eyes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No result yet, but I'm collecting Nosler 129gr AccuBond Long Range bullets to reload. That seems pretty ideal for the Grendel in my eyes.
View Quote
I wish someone would offer that from the factory.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can't get them to shoot well.  I wish they had it in 123gr.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can't get them to shoot well.  I wish they had it in 123gr.  
View Quote
Are they a touch too long?

Is it a barrel twist issue?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are they a touch too long?

Is it a barrel twist issue?
View Quote
I suspect it is twist related in my 16in bbl.

I don’t think I can get them fast enough for my 1/8 twist to work well. 123gr get a bit faster so they do well. I have heard some Grendel barrels are going 1/7.5 for this reason.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Posted this in your other thread, Red:

Have ya made one yet?!

16" Faxon Gunner and YHM Resonator suppresses super nice. 123 Black doing its thang.

Link Posted: 11/11/2021 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Love 129 interlocks in my 16" 6.5cm.

1of1 blood trails with a 123sst in a 12" grendel. 180yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Best I have found is 100 gr barnes tac tx.Barnes only makes these  bullets in 120 gr  now.I have not tried the 120's yet.My son ended up shooting his deer  with a 95 gr vmax this year , and as expected  the deer died very quickly,  but no exit wound.
All in all , I was very impressed  with the vmax.The deer was kinda quartering  away, and the bullet  ended up destroying  a lung,  half of the liver, and lodged under the  hide just in front of the hip.I am sure if the shot was straight broadside, we would have had a pass through. The bullet remarkably was a very nice mushroom, and the jacket wasn't separated.

My views have changed alot on bullet performance  lately.I used to think you didn't want pass through's so the animal took all of the bullet energy.After hunting with a 300 BO, I now believe  having a pass through with a nice size  exit wound is preferable. I believe  with velocity,  the animal will die either way, but a pass through  is way better for blood trails.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#24]
My 12” XCR shoots the 123 SST s very well.  Two bucks taken with it last year.  Both DRT.  No exits.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#25]
The 120 Gold Dot is the best hunting bullet you can run in Grendel. It expands easy but is bonded and tough. Seen it pile up a bunch of deer last season alone.

SST is a fine alternative, but something about that Gold Dot is magical. They both shoot lights out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Shooting the 243 - I love the Hornaday Interlock - I always get an exit.

I Wish they made an Interlock in the 6.5 - I just do not see it.

I have bought the 125 gr partitions to start with  and see where it ends up.

Red
View Quote

Pretty sure the 129 Interlock is available just not in factory ammo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#27]
The 123 SST's are definetly not universally loved by some barrels, my faxon is about 1.5 to 2 moa, lilja is about .5"moa  and my Odin about 1.5moa.  Haven't found a round my lilja doesn't seem to like which is like stepping into the lucky gene pool.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I've tried a bunch of bullets, mostly 100grs as I favored getting a little more velocity. My favorite by far has been the Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tip; it's given me the best combination of accuracy and terminal performance.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:32:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I shoot a 6.8, but I would suggest looking at Cavity Back. I used their 120gr MKZ to kill a bull elk this season. I would think their 6.5 would be basically the same .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top