Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2019 9:17:05 AM EDT
Anybody have any experience using them for deer hunting?

What is your go to Grendel for deer?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not tried the Prvi 6.5 Grendel load...

I've used PP in other calibers. Its cheap.  However, Ive never had really good success with it.  In my very limited experience, there seems to be greater variability, less accuracy. I've also run into brass with non standard primer pockets in other calibers, and being a reloader, this is a real bummer...  I haven't been overly impressed with any PP ammo I've bought....

Many centerfield HP bullets are totally unlike handgun HP bullets.  Some people see "Hollow point" and immediately think expansion, which isn't the case in rifle bullets.  I know that there are a few specific cases where a HP bullet is designed for deer hunting. Sierra 130 6.5 Gameking comes to mind.  However, most rifle HP bullets really aren't designed or intended for big game hunting.  Although people use them for deer, the makers often specifically warn against it.  The Grendel is a great little cartridge, but it doesn't generate a ton of velocity.  The typical 2400, maybe 2500 fps isn't a whole lot (when compared to other cartridges) and the Prvi Partisan HP opening is awfully small.  I have no proof, and haven't tested it, but I would strongly suspect that expansion, if it happens, is going to be spotty and sporadic.

I could be 100% dead wrong.  I'll admit that up front. However, everything I know about bullets tells me "the 6.5G Prvi bullet is not a great choice for deer".  But that's unproven.  Just an educated, semi-informed guess....  Again, I could be wrong....

Given that the Grendel is a very modest round and doesn't have great gobs of power to overcome a bad bullet, I usually want a really reliable designed-for-purpose bullet. I suspect a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 can drive the bullet fast enough to get it to fragment reliably.  The Grendel likely can't.  For this reason I'd want a decent, relatively "soft" bullet that will expand.  A Hornady SST or Nosler Ballistic Tip would be my first choices.  Regular cup and core bullets, or a newer 'plated' like Federal Fusion will work quite well too....  If it means anything, I'm using 6.5 bullets in a Creedmoor, getting significantly higher speeds and greater power, but I'm still using the SST, Nosler BT, Federal Fusion, and Hornady interlock.  About to try the new Sierra game Changer.  But won't, ever, deliberately load anything resembling the 120 HP bullet for deliberate use as a deer round....
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your well reasoned helpful post.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't tried the PP HP's, but I'm hesitant to use any bullet that isn't designed as a hunting bullet for hunting.

After having a 123gr SST fail at close range, I've switched to the 120gr Fusion. My cousin has been using it for hogs a lot and said it's great. He also got questionable performance out of the SST.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top