Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2022 8:50:28 AM EDT
If I wanted to leave a 55 gallon water drum open for rain collection. What would the best over the top filter be? I was thinking about just making one? If so what would be the best method?

https://www.thecarycompany.com/55-gallon-drum-strainer-77w2ds

Searching online found something like this? Which might be easier?

I am wanting to catch the water with some kind of top filter that I can just pull off and dip other jugs in it to just pull that water out...and if needed I can re filter that water from the barrel.

Thanks for you time.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
my vote would be to collect it from something with more surface area, like a roof or gutters or downspout. Then you can put your first layer filter there, and run it to a smaller filter or treat as needed. That's what I did, with a screen mesh over top to keep insects and leaves out. Easy but you would still need to process to drink.

Now I am in a rainy climate so I keep 55 gallon barrels full and treated, just recycle every year. I have stuff set up to collect should I need to, but doubt I'll need to.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Hardware cloth or screen wire would be the cheapest.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#3]
For our off grid shower, we used a 50 gal pickle barrel with a two part screw off top (like this one). The center part comes out. We used window screen ( the heavy pet proof kind) on the top of barrel and screwed the ring back on. I put a spicket low down ( about 2" from bottom) with a 50 micron filter like this:
Pre filter

Kind of hard to see but this is it.

Attachment Attached File

It attaches to a hose that goes to a pump for shower, but you could just use it to fill a bucket. Then run it thru a filter like a Berkey for drinking or boil for cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I took squares of hardware cloth and screwed them over the bund hole. Keeps out the big stuff. Little stuff tends to settle. I only use this for plans and people I don't like
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]

This funnel attached to your drum

This filter in the funnel
Fryer filter
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input everyone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top