Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2020 6:25:15 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations on 55 gallon water storage. Quality is key as I dont want a swimming pool in my garage. Any ideas? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Earth shattering response, Copernicus.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on how your going to get the water out, I have a pump that threads into the bung. There are coarse  and fine thread. Bungs.

In case my pump gets crossthreaded I bought a 2 inch fine tap at Home Depot for about $60, as insurance
I put my barrels on oak pallets.

Hope this helps
oh camo or hide  them fire marshals don't like barrels as the may have flamables in them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a bakery and they will usually sell you some food grade 55 gallon drums.
Or search on craigslist, that's how I got mine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the 15 and 30 gallon barrels, far easier to maneuver and find spaces to store them.

Call your local Coke Cola bottling plant, ask to speak to the warehouse or line filling manager.  Ask him who they sell and/or give their used syrup barrels to.  By law, they can't reuse them, so they get surplused.  A little rinsing and washing out, good as new.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
11 five gallon military water jugs.   At least you can move/load them by yourself.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not rocket science. I got two 55 gallon barrels from an ad on CraigsList.  IIRC the place was a small winery. This barrels contained some kind of food flavorings. I rinsed them out really well. Then I went to Home Depot and got a brass hose bibb. It's just a spigot that's threaded. I drilled a hole in the barrel and screwed in the hose bibb. Be sure not to drill a hole that's too large. I got green barrels because blue looks kind of obnoxious outdoors.

I use one for rain water for the garden. It's held up fine for over 10 years. BTW don't drink rain water. Bird drippings run off the roof into your rain barrel.

The other one has potable water with a little chlorine bleach.  I finally put that one into use a couple months ago.  Just drank some of the water. It was fine.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gks452:

The other one has potable water with a little chlorine bleach.  I finally put that one into use a couple months ago.  Just drank some of the water. It was fine. 

View Quote

How long was that one stored?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top