Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2019 5:13:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, I'd been looking for some panels to feed the $292 refurbished Yeti 400 from Ebay I just bought.

Anyone else considering these, you can download the spec sheet pdf from the link below:

https://www.naturepowerproducts.com/product-details.php?id=213

I think for the money this is one of the best deals at the moment. I've been researching the Renogy thin film panels as well as Uni-Solar stick on amorphous panels. I think its exceptional to find quality panels for less than $1/watt, especially polycrystalline.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks OP!  My son has been looking for a solar setup, so I sent the link on to him.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked up a couple to play with,,,, Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know a good solar forum? Interested to start reading about custom systems...
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't looked for a solar forum, but I am making my first project based on this:

SMALL SOLAR PANEL PROJECT FOR THE HOME [Prepping 365: #263]
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Got mine in. Should be a fun project. Looks like I can fit one on the stock crossbeams of my jeep grand cherokee wk, and perhaps two if I remove the crossbeams and mount off the roof itself.

Note for anyone buying, these don't come with MC4 connectors, you'll need to wire your own in.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, I'd been looking for some panels to feed the $292 refurbished Yeti 400 from Ebay I just bought.

Anyone else considering these, you can download the spec sheet pdf from the link below:

I think for the money this is one of the best deals at the moment. I've been researching the Renogy thin film panels as well as Uni-Solar stick on amorphous panels. I think its exceptional to find quality panels for less than $1/watt, especially polycrystalline.
View Quote
I picked up one of these eBay Yeti power stations...you're right, smoking deal.  Just delivered, so now I have 2 x 100watt panels in the OP and a 400wh Yeti. Did you make your own adapter from the solar charge controller to the Yeti or is there something available off the shelf?

ETA: sorry. Just read your post above.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I picked up one of these eBay Yeti power stations...you're right, smoking deal.  Just delivered, so now I have 2 x 100watt panels in the OP and a 400wh Yeti. Did you make your own adapter from the solar charge controller to the Yeti or is there something available off the shelf?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still need an MC4-8mm adapter from Goal Zero (or buy the knockoff from Amazon). They don't have it listed on their website so you have to call.and buy over the phone. It was $20 shipped.

The other stuff I bought were two 20 ft MC4 extension cables made by Renogy for $20 each from Amazon Warehouse Deals:
Amazon Product
  • Hard plastic connectors at each end,female and male connectors.
  • Black wire sunlight resistant cable,extends and locks built-in cables.
  • UV resistant and waterproof,TUV tested cable.

In addition to the MC4 cables and MC4-8mm adapter, you'll also need an SAE-MC4 adapter to mate the depot panels. I chose to use a 2-to-1 splicer to run both panels (or just one...) and the thickest wire one I could find was 14 AWG... and you'll need to reverse the polarity with yet another adapter. I still need to buy an SAE-MC4 adapter, but haven't decided if I'm going to use a conduit jbox with MC4 weather proof plugs for my roof solar array.

Amazon Product
  • 1 to 2 SAE Connector Heavy Duty Extension Cable
  • Made from a high-conductivity 14AWG(14 awg,2.08mm2>16 awg,1.31mm2) copper wire and a rated capacity of 20-amperes(20Amp built-in fuse for overload and short-circuit protection),14 AWG cable length is 1.6ft / 0.5m
  • Weatherproof:SAE Connector and Fuse Holder have Weatherproof Cover Design and Extra one a water resistant cap to protect the female socket from the elements.Durable plastic material ensures durability and longevity.

Amazon Product
  • The outlet polarity of different brand solar panel chargers maybe different. And the polarity may be reversed when the solar panels connect with the other brand SAE quick connection extension cable,solar charger regulators,and DC power kit
  • These SAE plugs would be make it very easy to convert the reversed polarity.
  • The sae polarity reversed adapter is SAE to SAE connector, it is compatible with battery tender and the other brand SAE connector wires.

Thinking of buying this one:

Amazon Product
  • Charge your solar panels with the MC4 adapter cable and easily connect to RV solar panels. Suitable for most solar panel kits.
  • Quick & simple assembly processing and simple removal of plugs without the aid of any extra instrument.
  • The export polarity of different brands of solar panel chargers may vary. When the solar panel is connected to the MC4 connector to the SAE connector, the polarity may be reversed.This SAE to SAE connector would be the easiest way to make the reversed polarity correct.

Also... those Yeti 400's rock. Mine looks brand new and only consumed 40% keeping my ARB 50 qt running for 16 hrs... I think you could run it forever with one 100W panel.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 4 panels, installation in 2 to 3 weeks on the unattached garage, but to join all 4 panels I'm getting the 4 in 1 plug from nature power for 20 bucks.  Simplifies connecting all of them and then theres only 1 drop.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I tested my setup late this afternoon chasing the sun between clouds. Peak input was about 80 watts. Going to try again tomorrow at noon and see if I can max out the Yeti.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Today's test:

Got my yeti rigged with with about 120W draw and the two panels laid flat in the backyard to simulate mounting onto the roof of my jeep. Let's see if they can keep up

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Laying these flat with morning sunshine I'm getting about 30W per panel. Chasing the sun doubles that to 65W (130W measured).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Direct mid-day sun max panel output looks to be 72W each. The Yeti 400 is limiting at 136W input however. I'm thinking you could add a 3rd 100W panel to the mix and keep it maxed out throughout the day with a flat roof installation.

I'm pretty happy with 72%. I might be losing some through the 50 ft of misc wiring and adapters too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Running wife's laptop, usb battery bank, tablet, two incandencant desk lamps, a desk fan and the ARB 50qt (set for 0F for max draw)...

Solar panels pushing 127W in, I'm consuming 297W.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I would be careful about putting that large of a load on a Yeti 400..testing like that ended up blowing the inverter on mine.

I was pulling about 310 watts when mine released the magic smoke. Same deal, but I was testing two Renogy 100 watt panels.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would be careful about putting that large of a load on a Yeti 400..testing like that ended up blowing the inverter on mine.

I was pulling about 310 watts when mine released the magic smoke. Same deal, but I was testing two Renogy 100 watt panels.
View Quote
Yeah, I heard the cooling fan kicking on. Sounded louder than my gaming laptop.

I kept the load under 300W and don't intend to run it past 200 typically. This thing is supposed to be rated for 400W surge... did they honor the warranty?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, I heard the cooling fan kicking on. Sounded louder than my gaming laptop.

I kept the load under 300W and don't intend to run it past 200 typically. This thing is supposed to be rated for 400W surge... did they honor the warranty?
View Quote
Nah - I was the second owner and did not even try.

Just to add to this thread I have my 400 attached to 100 watts of Renogy panels on my shed roof and have chained a extra 33 AH battery to it. We use it to charge all of our AA and AAA batteries, phone portable chargers and
it can run my Dometic CF 35 pretty much for ever. (son is a diabetic and would need to keep insulin cold) The light bulbs in the picture are USB powered and work great in case of power outage. The spare panel is rigged to either attach to the mounted one or take mobile.

Currently gathering parts to build a 50 ah LiFePO4 semi portable system.

Link Posted: 8/3/2019 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my temporary rig wired up today with 2 x 100w panels from OP and an eBay refurb Yeti 400 from above. I cut the OEM adapters off the solar panels and used MC4 connectors with a parallel pigtail. Then Anderson Powerpole from the pigtails to the Yeti OEM adapter. Not too much hassle, even for a novice. Same as above, I'm getting about 130w on a partly cloudy day.

Link Posted: 8/3/2019 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Are the panels consistent enough quality that I could run two in series and two in parallel for a 24v 200w system?
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are the panels consistent enough quality that I could run two in series and two in parallel for a 24v 200w system?
View Quote
I think so. Only saw 1-2W difference between the two on my set.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top