Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2021 8:35:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz]
Wondering what those who have hunted bison think of the 416 Remington Magnum on them?  I've heard from some who have hunted them that they're one of the only animals in NA where the big bore safari rifles aren't necessarily considered "overkill."  I've seen some people talk about shooting them behind the ear with a fast magnum, where-as others have said to double lung them with a large caliber round like a 45-70, 458 Win Mag, etc.  Obviously with this brute I'd be going for a double lung shot.

I'll never go to Africa to hunt and make full use of the 416, but I'd like to take it buffalo hunting eventually and wanted to see what people thought of it.

For the record at the muzzle it's driving a 400gr bullet at 2,400 fps and doing about 5,200 ft-lb of energy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s a great round for Cape buffalo, which are reasonably close in size. Why not? And no reason you can’t brain them with a 416!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Good choice on caliber, but I’d check around to make sure you have the correct bullet for this job. A bison can run for miles with big holes in their lungs so make sure you get expansion.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a 338-06 but a 9,3x62 would be my choice now. That’s what I took to Africa.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:52:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#4]
Thanks gentlemen.  As for bullets I have a bunch of Federal Cape-Shok Trophy Bonded Sledgehammers on hand.  Some place was discounting them heavily a year ago so I bought a bunch.  Probably not the best for a bison as they're a solid and more geared toward penetration than expansion.

I'm guessing something like a 400gr Nosler Partition would be a solid choice on a buff?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I would definitely want expansion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one, recoil is intense but manageable once you learn the correct stance when shooting big bore guns. Varget, reloder 15 and its norma twin are the go to powders IMO. I got a deal some time ago on 400gr nosler partitions for it, but also shoot speer 350gr bullets as well. Less bloodshot meat vs the high velocity magnums,  Swift a frame, the partition and maybe some of the other soft point bullets would be choices. I’ve taken mine elk hunting. Great close and medium range gun. I run a 1-4x scope with leupold QRW rings and bases. It hits with the most authority of anything I’ve ever shot. It destroys wood logs and anything else not steel for a target holder lol
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:49:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
We all just kill them with our elk rifles and bonded bullets.

YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
We all just kill them with our elk rifles and bonded bullets.

YMMV.

What rifles do you guys use for elk?  I've heard 338 Win Mag can be pretty decent on buffalo and that's obviously a pretty common elk round.  My elk gun is a 7mm Rem Mag and I am assuming a bit on the lighter side for a buffalo aside from a brain shot.  But again I've never hunted them myself so I don't really know.

Originally Posted By Bigtwinlvr:
I have one, recoil is intense but manageable once you learn the correct stance when shooting big bore guns. Varget, reloder 15 and its norma twin are the go to powders IMO. I got a deal some time ago on 400gr nosler partitions for it, but also shoot speer 350gr bullets as well. Less bloodshot meat vs the high velocity magnums,  Swift a frame, the partition and maybe some of the other soft point bullets would be choices. I’ve taken mine elk hunting. Great close and medium range gun. I run a 1-4x scope with leupold QRW rings and bases. It hits with the most authority of anything I’ve ever shot. It destroys wood logs and anything else not steel for a target holder lol

Unfortunately I don't reload otherwise I'd be all over the 300 and 350 grain bullets for the 416.  When things calm down I do eventually want to jump into reloading, though.  The Barnes TSX loads can pretty much match the 375 H&H in velocity and trajectory from what I have seen, which is nice.  Those would probably make great elk loads as well.  I love the .416 for the versatility in addition to the power.  It nips at the heels of the 375 H&H in trajectory while delivering more energy on target than a .458 Win Mag.  With the lighter stuff it's a solid 400 yard gun (I'd say 500 for the 375); where-as I wouldn't use the .458s (Lott or Win Mag) past 200 yards.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty much 3006 and up. 7mm Mag will work fine.

Any modern big game rifle is going to take down a Buffalo with a good bonded bullet.

If you want to buy a gun specifically for a Buffalo hunt, that's cool too. We have a friend that bought a Sharps specifically to do so. I don't think he has used it since, but it hangs next to the skull on the wall.
View Quote

Thanks!  Do you brain them with those or go for a trifecta double lung/heart shot?

I'd personally love a Sharps rifle in 45-70 for buffalo.  I don't have too much room left in the safe though and don't have room for a second safe, so until then the .416 would take all big game duty.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:57:26 AM EDT
[#12]
With the 416, either have a fat wallet or reload. Reloading will save you considerable money. I run norma brass, pricey but good stuff. Rcbs dies and partial size them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#13]
It will get it done but a lot more gun than needed.  I dropped one with a 30-40 1895 rifle, 200 grain cast bullet.  DRT.  Neighbor killed one with a .25-06 but took him half a box of shells; of course he can't shoot for beans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top