Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2023 1:37:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nowgrn4]
Getting ready to do my 200 hour service on my 2021 60 HP DF60A Suzuki. Want to switch to full Syn now that it's pretty well broke in. Parts guy at the dealer said many run Rotella T6 15-40. Sound OK?

Edit; Don't know if it matters but it's got shim&bucket valve adjustment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Amsoil
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
T6 is good oil. I use it in the generators and lawn equipment, although I use the 5w40 weight. I also use it in the bikes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:38:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#4]
I’ve been running Rotella for years in diesel engines. But I have never run it in a gas engine. If it will stand up to a generator running non stop for over a week. I think it’s a pretty good oil.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]
At different times i have run Rotella syn 5w40,napa syn and mobile syn in my outboards.

Just changing the oil on time is a biggie.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
T6 is good oil. I use it in the generators and lawn equipment, although I use the 5w40 weight. I also use it in the bikes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
T-6 it is. Suzuki OB oil is a blend made by Motul. I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't recommend/make a full synthetic for after break in.

My prop Wiz told me some of the Micro/Tech skiff guides he services have over 3.5-4K hours on these DF60's. Wonder what they run?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:58:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kevinski] [#9]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Marine 4-stroke oil has

better corrosion inhibitor in it as opposed to automotive

oils. Marine engines are subject to a harsh environment

and weeks/months of non-use. The additives in marine oil

cling to the internal parts better to help hold corrosion at bay.

Older inboards/sterndrives with flat tappet cams need some zinc

in the oil as well. You will see it listed as ZDDP as an ingredient

on some labels.

We use only Mercury/Mercruiser 25W40 in all the things.
View Quote

Duuuuude.... Stop using that oil.  There's no ZDDP in it.  Or anything antiwear really...

@KB7DX
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Been using Mercury branded 25w40 in most everything for 20 years at our dealership.

Never an issue.

ETA - MSDS data

"COMPOSITION OF INGREDIENTS
Percentage (by weight)
64742-54-7
Component CAS Number
Distallates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate 2215-35-2 <1%
Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate 113706-15-3 <0.5%"

MSDS Sheet

View Quote

The zinc is around 600ppm. It *could* have as much as 800ppm but it’s rare to see it that high in a batch. That’s extremely low, I’d want to see at least double that for an engine running a marine duty cycle. There’s some boron in it too but not much. Will it cause an immediate engine failure? No. Will it shorten the life of an engine that’s run hard, compared to the same engine running different oil? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
@Foxtrot08

I've been using Chevron for many many a year. Curious to see what Foxtrot might have to say.

I tend to stay far away from boutique manufacturer oils like 25w40 or my fav 2w50 from polaris.

In to be proven wrong
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
@Foxtrot08

I've been using Chevron for many many a year. Curious to see what Foxtrot might have to say.

I tend to stay far away from boutique manufacturer oils like 25w40 or my fav 2w50 from polaris.

In to be proven wrong
View Quote

Citgo Petroleum manufacturers the 25w40 for Mercury. Or at least had up till recent years.  They’ve done extensive testing on it. So it’s not really boutique, just a weird weight.

The 2w50 Polaris doesn’t exist. It’s actually like a 5w50 mobil.  Just Polaris likes to make shit up, because Polaris.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kevinski:

The zinc is around 600ppm. It *could* have as much as 800ppm but it’s rare to see it that high in a batch. That’s extremely low, I’d want to see at least double that for an engine running a marine duty cycle. There’s some boron in it too but not much. Will it cause an immediate engine failure? No. Will it shorten the life of an engine that’s run hard, compared to the same engine running different oil? Absolutely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kevinski:
Been using Mercury branded 25w40 in most everything for 20 years at our dealership.

Never an issue.

ETA - MSDS data

"COMPOSITION OF INGREDIENTS
Percentage (by weight)
64742-54-7
Component CAS Number
Distallates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate 2215-35-2 <1%
Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate 113706-15-3 <0.5%"

MSDS Sheet

Considering how extensively Mercury and Citgo have tested the product, it’s doubtful it will shorten the engine life.

As well, your testing practices need work if you’re seeing a 200ppm jump between “batches.”  You’re going to mostly see +/- 3% in UoA/VOA testing.

There are also other anti wear additives besides ZDDP.

Unless they changed formulas recently, the mercury 25w40 had 1100-1200ppm ZDDP.
100ppm boron
~25 ppm moly.

So that’s a stout antiwear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
Getting ready to do my 200 hour service on my 2021 60 HP DF60A Suzuki. Want to switch to full Syn now that it's pretty well broke in. Parts guy at the dealer said many run Rotella T6 15-40. Sound OK?

Edit; Don't know if it matters but it's got shim&bucket valve adjustment.
View Quote

I’m sure Rotella 15w40 T6 would be fine.

I’d look at redline oil personally. That’s what my dad runs in his Yamahas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Considering how extensively Mercury and Citgo have tested the product, it’s doubtful it will shorten the engine life.

As well, your testing practices need work if you’re seeing a 200ppm jump between “batches.”  You’re going to mostly see +/- 3% in UoA/VOA testing.

There are also other anti wear additives besides ZDDP.

Unless they changed formulas recently, the mercury 25w40 had 1100-1200ppm ZDDP.
100ppm boron
~25 ppm moly.

So that’s a stout antiwear.
View Quote

It was reformulated (made catalyst compliant) a few years ago. Caused a bunch of problems in the field that coincided with stripping ZDDP out of the oil. Spec is 800ppm but sample results show anything from +0% to -25%.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Ended up buying 16 quarts of Amsoil 10-40 Marine 4-Stroke full syn. I have had great results with their stuff. Not cheap, but buy once, cry once.

Thanks to all that replied.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:00:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nowgrn4] [#19]
Read on the side of the Amsoil oil that it's safe for catalytic converters. WTF? That means it has little or no zink. Not the best choice for shim and bucket valve configurations. I added 3oz of a ZDDP additive to the 3 quart fill of Amsoil. That adds around 1K PPM of ZDDP per quart.

Link to additive; https://opti-lube.com/opti-lube-oil-fortifier-with-zddp-zinc-1-quart-32oz-treats-up-to-32-quarts-of-oil/

Side note. The Amsoil small 4-stroke full syn oil I run in my Kohler engine riding mower, 4 gennies and Honda powered pressure washer says do not use on engines with catalytic converters.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:37:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kevinski] [#20]
If you want one of the best marine oils you can buy, this one has double the ZDDP than the Mercury/QS mineral oil. It’s a solid oil, probably one of the best oils out there in general.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top