Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2022 10:27:50 AM EDT
Moved to the straight wall zone for deer and looking at getting a 350L of some sort.

Thinking either a Ruger American Ranch bolt or getting a barrel for an AR I have most of the parts for.  If I go the AR route I will probably get a Wilson Combat barrel. I have one in 300 Hamr that shoots great.

My guess the AR will be around 1 pound heavier than the RAR.

Also plan on using a YHM R9 suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both. The Ruger RAR is spot on at 100yrd and I'm running it an Omega 36M. The BCA upper did need some polishing and it running reliable now. No matter what bullet I run, it always hits a baseball size target at 100yrds. Currently shooting Win 145 FMJ's, 150 plastic tip, 180 SP or my reloaded 165 Hndy SST's. I have Dura mags that are ok, but my modified PMAGs are my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Model 7 action to build on with the 556 bolt face, and am thinking about doing a 350L

How hot can you load it in a bolt action? Any opinion on the best bullet for 100yd deer and hogs?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
After years of building a lower for every upper, I finally built a spare upper to pair with a complete rifle.
It was .350L.
I don't particularly have a use for one. I don't currently hunt in the "Shotgun" zone in MI, but I've been thinking of trying to find someplace closer to home I can run and gun on a weekend. Try to get a few more days of hunting in.
I'm sure I'll eventually build a lower for it, but it's just not a priority right now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If I didn't have 90% of a complete AR I would almost for sure go with a Ruger American.

There is always get both
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you plan to hunt?  Hunting from the ground, it doesn't really matter.  Use whatever makes you smile.  My wife and I hunt mostly from tree stands.  Her bolt gun is a lot easier to load and unload, quietly, multiple times per day, than my AR.  In fact, I usually use a single-shot .44 mag in preference to the AR because of this.  Remember, every time up or down the ladder means unloading the rifle.  With the AR, I generally walk out to the stand empty, load once I get up in the stand, unload before I get down, and walk back in unloaded.  The single shot .44 is much simpler and quieter to load and unload, so it's much more likely to be loaded on the way in or out.  Her bolt gun is almost as simple and actually makes less noise than the single shot (Winchester XPR).

The AR does shine when I have a kid out with me.  Adjustable length of pull, ambi safety, simple optic, and no need to cycle the rifle for a follow-up shot is a good thing for an inexperienced hunter.  Minimal recoil is a bonus, too.  My friend's 12 year old son took his first deer with my AR, and my nephew used it for his first time hunting.  Just make sure that whoever is with the new hunter knows how to load and unload an AR safely.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 16" AR with a YHM R9.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]
When I lived in the rifle zone I used ARs.  All shots where under 100 yards.

300 Hamr was the most recent build I used.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Ruger American Ranch in .350L, and a Ruger MSR in .350L.

They’re both very accurate:  <2” @100yds.

The AR seems to have more recoil than the Ranch rifle.

Magazines are the weak point of each rifle. I have factory 10rnd mags, and CMMG 20rnd mags, and both do not feed reliably.

.350L is a deer killer, for sure, and I am a believer.

I load 26.5gr. w296 under 170gr. Hornady JSP
t
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top