Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2021 7:15:30 PM EDT
On a whim I purchased a box of 300gr Federal PowerShok after reading the reviews of the Hornady 250gr not performing.

I'm now looking at the trajectory of the 300gr vs the 250gr and there's a big difference considering I'm looking at shooting 50-150 yards... 4.7" vs 12.7" at 200 yards.

I do have the option to buy the 250gr Winchester XP, but I haven't found a lot of information much less using a 1:24 twist.

16" barrel
1:24 twist
50 to 150 yards
Whitetail

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive only shot two deer with Hornady black 250 gr, but the performance was outstanding on Whitetails.

I zeroed mine for 150 yards...5 inch drop at 200.  0 to 150 it stays within 2.5 inches so I aim dead on.  Hornady has a ballistic calculator that is pretty accurate.

Love the 450.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]
After shooting Hornady 250gr FTX I would never go with anything else. The accuracy is insane.

As for “failures”, they sure do a number on the hogs I’ve shot, I haven’t had any problems. Brother in law shoots one too for hogs and they plain work. I haven’t shot deer with it I’ll admit.

The round is already handicapped in the trajectory department, I could not handicap it even more with a heavier bullet and be comfortable with 150-200 yd shots. If you’re going to go that route, use a good rangefinder and practice practice practice.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't like the Hornady 250gr FTX try the Winchester 250gr Extreme Points.  The Hornadys worked well in my Ruger No. 1 in 450, but I swapped to a Bergara B14 HMR and it didn't shoot as well with the Hornadys.  It did shoot better with the 250gr Extreme Points.

Last year I used the Hornadys on two deer: one at 70 yards, and one at 160 yards.  At 70 it didn't really expand and poked a hole through both lungs and left a real nice blood trail.  The one at 160 it expanded and tumbled a bit, leaving no blood at all but that deer was DRT.

This year I got a deer with the 250gr Extreme Point out of my Bergara at 100 yards.  I shot it through the lungs and it liquefied the lungs and heart before blowing out the other side.  Left a really nice blood trail too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top