Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 3:36:32 PM EDT
This may seem like a really odd question, but most of my ham use is just monitoring a 2m repeater while also listening to a local FM station. My cheap baofeng does this, but accessories for my UV-B5 are getting harder to come by.

Are there any other radios that do this, maybe even w/ stereo FM? I'd like to get a nicer 2m radio (I like icom) but only if it can monitor local FM while waiting for someone to hit the repeater.

It doesn't have to be an HT
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
In a car?  Install a mobile radio...?

Why the requirement for them to be the same unit?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd use the vehicle's sound system.

This goodies https://audiointerrupt.com/ sells might be relevant to what you're doing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In a car?  Install a mobile radio...?

Why the requirement for them to be the same unit?
View Quote

Nah this is a base station. Any form factor would work.

Why? I listen to the radio, then when a net comes on it turns the radio off and I listen to the net. I just like it.

I suspect just about any "dual band" radio will do what I want. Was just curious if anyone else does this and what radio they use.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd use the vehicle's sound system.

This goodies https://audiointerrupt.com/ sells might be relevant to what you're doing.
View Quote

Interesting!
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Any true dual band radio should be able to do this, as long as it can receive on the FM frequencies.

I used to travel with my Yaesu VX3R. It has an amazingly good FM stereo receiver. Audio quality is excellent, with decent earphones.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any true dual band radio should be able to do this, as long as it can receive on the FM frequencies.

I used to travel with my Yaesu VX3R. It has an amazingly good FM stereo receiver. Audio quality is excellent, with decent earphones.
View Quote

That's what I figured, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
YEASU FT-817  /  818 will do it

It's a small QRP shack in a box that does everything, . .  .  but only 5-6 watts

Attachment Attached File

note BIC pen for size comparison

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a nice radio. For what I'm doing, that would fall under "treat yourself" category
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's a nice radio. For what I'm doing, that would fall under "treat yourself" category
View Quote

It's a really cool little rig.

a classic QRP radio.

It also does VHF/UHF all mode, so you can do SSB

I don't recommend it as a first time HF rig.

trying to work DX with 5 watts is like deer hunting with a snub nose 38 special.

It's a big challenge.

Field Day 2020-

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Many will receive broadcast FM. Few will output stereo FM.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're willing to learn CW, it will open up a whole new world for you. I'm located in northeast TV and over the weekend was running 5 Watts into a trap dipole up 35' on 80, 40, and 20 for the SKCC Weekend Sprint and was nailing stations all over the country, including California.

When the bands are open, jumping the pond with QRP is not that much of a deal. Get on YouTube and call up some of the SOTA videos for examples.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top