Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2022 3:10:23 PM EDT
Arf hams,
I am looking to improve the transmit and receive performance on 2m.  Currently I have a ladder line j-pole hanging from curtains which gets me to few nearby repeaters (less than 10 miles) in my county. I can hear repeaters up to 30 miles away and have had a few rag chews on one 20 miles away under some conditions.  My elevation is 950ft but I'm on a down slope on the edge of a valley. There is another 100ft of terrain above me on this slope.
My house is on a slopped lot and I'm near the bottom.  

Question:  Would there be a noticeable benefit to investing in an outdoor antenna for 2m that doesn't have a significant height increase (vs current indoor antenna) and is at the end a 220ft run of LMR-400? The antenna would be surrounded by trees on two sides   10ft in elevation higher than the existing antenna and outside. Due to the angle from the street and the position of my neighbors no one is likely to see it as it is a backed by ever green trees from those look angles.

Note: I live in an HOA so being stealthy is important. I am able to hide some HF antennas in trees or  put up a temporary vertical behind my house without nasty letters
Another note:  My attic is lined with foil reflective insulation, so an attic antenna is not an option.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
220ft coax run? Yikes! Having said that, any antenna outdoors

is going to do better than one indoors. Disguising a VHF/UHF antenna is easy.

There's also one called a "Ventenna" that slides over a roof plumbing vent.

A "flagpole" with a Diamond X-30 inside or similar would be a good choice

as well.
View Quote

Yikes indeed! On the upside if I was to proceed it would run water and a power line in the same trench for my chickens.  I've been able to hide laying hens for 10 years.  Would hate a worthless antenna project to finally get me outed!
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d be tempted to get a regular dual band vertical, paint it brown or green, and back it up in the trees.

I’ll bet no one ever notices it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd be tempted to get a regular dual band vertical, paint it brown or green, and back it up in the trees.

I'll bet no one ever notices it.
View Quote

One of my kids commented that I should no go overboard and make it look like a 'tree' cell tower or it would stand out

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
How close are the Evergreen trees to the house and how tall are they? Hanging a copper tubing 2M slim jim in one would look like a long wind chimes.

I have 3 of these antennas for different bands or can DIY.  https://www.jpole-antenna.com/?s=slim+jim =KB9VBR Antennas
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
J-Poles are about equivalent to a 3/8 wave whip.
Can you get an antenna up on a chimney or mast? A ~5' vertical such as the Diamond X-50 will make a big difference in performance over what you have.

Never mind, didn't see the part about the HOA Nazis.
Getting anything up outside the house will be a big help, though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you would benefit greatly with moving it outside.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Hide it in a piece of pvc pipe, and attach to an existing vent sticking out of the roof.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
You can make or buy a slim Jim antenna made from 450 ohm window line and haul it up into a tall tree and nobody would ever see it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can make or buy a slim Jim antenna made from 450 ohm window line and haul it up into a tall tree and nobody would ever see it.
View Quote

This is the indoor antenna I have today.   I'm going to use it to try various positions around my yard before mounting up the faux tree.  It doesn't strike me as an antenna that would tolerate moisture for long.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Wire whip at an eave?   Very thin almost not visible from property line.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can build a j-pole in a PVC pipe.  The dimensions are a bit different though.  You can't just take what you have and stick it in a pipe.  There are plans on the internet.  Built from 450 ohm ladder line.  I once built two.  A friend put one on a mast and ran it for years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the indoor antenna I have today.   I'm going to use it to try various positions around my yard before mounting up the faux tree.  It doesn't strike me as an antenna that would tolerate moisture for long.

You can build a j-pole in a PVC pipe.  The dimensions are a bit different though.  You can't just take what you have and stick it in a pipe.  There are plans on the internet.  Built from 450 ohm ladder line.  I once built two.  A friend put one on a mast and ran it for years.

Why not build a copper j-pole and paint it to blend in?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hide it in a piece of pvc pipe, and attach to an existing vent sticking out of the roof.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If you buy a j-pole from Ed Fong it will include some info with a specific Home Depot part number for a pipe to place the thing inside. I vaguely recall it saying to avoid “standard” PVC for some reason.

Found it:

Lowe’s (stock # 23990)  or Home Depot (SKU #282-477)

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a Comet GP-1. Same size as a J-Pole, better performance, hide it in a PVC tube without de-tuning it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Won’t work unless you compensate for the velocity factor.  Will put a standard J-Pole out of tune.  

Read this:

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/roll-up-j-pole-in-plastic-pvc-why-the-high-swr.328560/

View Quote

Yes....   read the posts in that thread...
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You can’t just put it inside a piece of PVC pipe.  It will put it out of tune.
View Quote

You can purchase one tuned for use inside a piece of pipe, or tune one yourself. I have one from Ed Fong, and it works fantastic. It works as well as a Tram 1477.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's also one called a "Ventenna" that slides over a roof plumbing vent.
View Quote

Ventenna is out of business. I found out about this time last year when I finally got around to going to order one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top