Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2021 10:40:46 PM EDT
Been wanting to give squirrel hunting a try. It’s also an outstanding excuse for me to buy a new 22.

I got a lot of recommendations for the CZ457. It was on my radar already. However a lot of these recommendations were for models with heavy profile / varmint barrels.

While they certainly don’t have the weight that a center fire varmint rifle would have, I am questioning how many people actually take a 22 with a varmint / heavy barrel on a squirrel hunt.

Looking at the CZ line the 457 American looks promising, thought the barrel is rather long. The Royal with 16.5” threaded barrel might be ideal in length, and the weight is enough for steadier offhand shooting but not excessive.

Am I on the right track here?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPC] [#1]
I use 2 different rifle/carbines
1- Ruger 10/22 Kidd parts/trigger,, Federsen 16 barrel red dot

2- Henry varmint,,18 " barrel,,4x scope

Both get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Not me!

I have match barrels, varmint barrels but I grab standard weight barrels.   Ruger 77/22 sporter, Cz 452 fullstock, Marlin 39a.  When I got out after deer season with thicker clothes I grab a cz 452 scout.  

It’s all uphill no matter where I go so I am not grabbing truck axle barreled guns.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
For the Ozarks the 16.5 would be perfect. Good glass and head-shots save meat and provide a marksmanship challenge.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SC4eyes:
For the Ozarks the 16.5 would be perfect. Good glass and head-shots save meat and provide a marksmanship challenge.
View Quote

I just realized that the 16.5" Royal is pretty spendy.  I might have to just deal with the American's longer barrel until later when I can get a replacement barrel.  Apparently switching the barrel on the 457 is as easy as switching on a 10/22.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of the squirrels I've shot was with a Nylon 66 and OEM sights, a precision rig it is not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
any 22 will do (for me).  I've used a Marlin 22 WMR because back in the day that's all I had.  I'd gladly take my Savage 22 with the GM22 can, it will do a fine job too.  Squirrel head is an easily achieved target
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#7]
If possible, use a HV-HP, but normally the lack of accuracy limits range just as much as using SV slugs for lack of energy.

I prefer head/neck shots. Less meat damage, not always a faster “kill” if only their spine is broken, but the instant incapacitation is great, usually they bleed out before you can walk over to them.

I strongly recommend you do NOT use segmented ammo, unless you can STRICTLY get head shots. You will wreck a lot of meat with body shots on them. Segs work great on coon/groundhog for head/neck shots where normal HV fails.

A lot of times now I grab the 17hmr, but because of the explosive fragmentation, it’s also a head shot gun. Normally use it while still/stand hunting. Magnum rimfire is a death ray on squirrel.

My choices for ammo (by class) are minimag/aguila for HV, CCI SV, and Winchester varmimt HE for segmented.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:37:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#8]
Any quality 22 will suffice, focus on the scope.... you need good bullet drop compensation & high magnification for long shots, and also close focus capability for quick and close action.

ETA: and consistent ammo

I am assuming you intend to take long shots from a stealth position so heavy barrel accuracy is a plus.  If you walk and drop, maybe lighter is better... something like a modern ruger precision 22  is not overall much heavier than an old winchester though I think.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I've killed a helluva bunch of squirrells with an Anschutz 54 Sporter and Winchester HV hollow points...........

somewhere I have a nicely expanded bullet I saved.........if I can find it I'll post a pic..............
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]
99% of the squirrels I’ve shot with a .22 were shot with a standard sporter weight barrel .22 lr with HV hollowpoints. As of late I’ve been using my heavy barreled 10/22 and subsonic hollow points. Bothe get the job done but the HB 10/22 does get ungainly at times.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a Savage MKII with a heavy barrel and 3-9 Vortex. I've used CCI SV and CCI Stingers. As long as it's a headshot, it really doesn't matter what you use. Just don't take a body shot with a Stinger

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#12]
TacSol X-22, change the trigger out to a 6 oz Kidd trigger group, add a good scope. Light and accurate.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve killed an absolute pile of squirrels with a Marlin model 60 wearing a fixed 4. My recent favorite ammunition is federal auto match, for the money and with ammunition availability the way it is, you can’t beat it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 12:42:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#14]
Any decent quality .22 rifle is going to be plenty accurate for squirrels with ammo it likes.

My baseline rifle for squirrel hunting is a Ruger 10/22 with carbine profile barrel, a Brimstone basic trigger job and a 2-7/2-8 power scope.  That’s it.  I have a 20/22 set up like this with a Diamondback 2-8x32 scope.

It will shoot Aguila Super Extra into a ragged hole at 25 yards off a bench.  I shoot squirrels from field positions so I feel additional accuracy from a match barrel and match ammo will be a moot point.

There’s nothing wrong with having a target rifle that occasionally does double duty as a squirrel rifle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I've taken up squirrel hunting with a .22 Cal PCP air rifle....all the fun with little noise. Give it a try.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I use my Savage FVSR in a Boyds Tacticool stock and PA 4-14x FFP, shooting Winchester 40gr Super X subsonics.

If I miss, it's because I did something wrong. Absolutely love that gun and I get to play "sniper" for a little while while I'm out.

If I don't have a clear headshot, I don't shoot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#17]
My dad and his dad used a good accurate .22 with shorts.  Shorts do it all day for head shots the way they hunted.  Early season, leaves on the trees, find the hickory tree they're all going to and sit down while waiting on enough daylight to start shooting (preferably a shell bark hickory because that's what the squirrels seemed to prefer.)  Dad said they'd sit down and kill their limit under one tree and be home before lunch in years where they had a good squirrel population.

Later in the year, when the leaves where off and they might be using a good squirrel dog the shots could be farther off and they went to long rifle ammo.  Same rifles (grandpa used a little Western Field single shot bolt action and dad's favorite was an old Savage M29 pump).  They never used hollow points.  Head shots didn't require hollow points.

There's a knack to "seeing" squirrels and sneaking up on them close enough to take head shots.  I didn't figure it out till I was into my early 20's.  Dad bought us shotguns to squirrel hunt with and we missed out on the .22 hunting till we were into our late teens/early 20's.  By the time I gave it up I was squirrel hunting with a Ruger Mk1 5.5" and Remington Thunderbolts (because my Ruger shot them like most rifles shoot).  Kind of fun sneaking up on squirrels close enough to head shoot them with a good pistol.  Had a good buddy that used to go with me that used a High Standard .22 (don't remember the model number but it was very accurate, too).  He used Eley match ammo in his to squirrel hunt (and kill frogs).
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Bumping this older thread.

I have just about all the types of .22 lr ammunition stashed

Mini mags
Rem golden bullet Hp
Winchester power points
CCi Quiets
Blazers
CCI SV
S&K Rifle, Pistol,semi auto
Wolf Extra

The two I use the most on squirrels which is just a few hunts a year, are the CCI SV and the Rem Golden Bullet HP (boxed, not milk carton with the loose bullets in their casings).   Head shots.   Once in a while I won’t have the perfect shot and I will get one that hides before dying.  I haven’t lost one of the hide and seeks yet but it could happen.  Did have to get a stick to drag one out of a hollow log a few years back.  

Any .22 will do enough damage when placed right.  You don’t need more penetration and you don’t need explosive expansion, in fact that is exactly what I don’t want.  I cook them to eat.

I should get out of the house and go get some.  I sat in my stands this year and saw lots of squirrels.  They helped me stay alert by flitting about catching my eye all day long.   Never shot a deer this year either. . I put my time in hunting more hours than I ever did but only saw what I call my lawn fawns.   The coyote tracks were more plentiful than deer tracks which might be the issue.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:11:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#19]
@JamesP81

Did you ever buy that .22 you were looking for?  Did you get out with it?

Yea the 457 is a nice setup but boy did CZ jump the prices.  Back when they were making the 452s you were looking at high $200s for the plain ones and over $300 for the fancier ones.  Iirc my 452 fullstock was $325.   Then the 455 came out and was a little bit more then in just a few short years that was improved to the 457 model.  Not sure I want to spend $7-800 on a CZ .22 rifle.  None of the models are just exactly what I want.  Their line up is quirky.  Odd checkering, odd long forearm but the sporter style that replaced the mannlicher style FS which doesn’t come close in aesthetics.  A regular 457 American sporter is the only one that looks normal to me.   I have a ruger 77/22 that looks like that so it isn’t a niche I need to fill.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
@JamesP81

Did you ever buy that .22 you were looking for?  Did you get out with it?

Yea the 457 is a nice setup but boy did CZ jump the prices.  Back when they were making the 452s you were looking at high $200s for the plain ones and over $300 for the fancier ones.  Iirc my 452 fullstock was $325.   Then the 455 came out and was a little bit more then in just a few short years that was improved to the 457 model.  Not sure I want to spend $7-800 on a CZ .22 rifle.  None of the models are just exactly what I want.  Their line up is quirky.  Odd checkering, odd long forearm but the sporter style that replaced the mannlicher style FS which doesn’t come close in aesthetics.  A regular 457 American sporter is the only one that looks normal to me.   I have a ruger 77/22 that looks like that so it isn’t a niche I need to fill.
View Quote

I haven’t yet. My LGS can get a good price on a 457 American if his distributors ever get it in stock.

It’s a close competition between the 457 and Ruger American Rimfire. The RAR won’t have quite the accuracy but should be fine for squirrels. It also uses mags I already have. My only concern is if it’s well made enough to be passed down to my kids. The synthetic stock is also really comfortable when I’ve test shouldered one but I wonder about it’s long term durability.

Of course when it’s heirloom time, as long as the rest of the rifle is robust, I can always put it in a Boyd’s stock.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]
@SteelonSteel

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends on your preference.   I like wood and steel but for some hunting stainless and synthetic make a bit of sense.

Heirloom,....wood and steel.   browning BL22 is heirloom grade if you want a lever gun.  The Henry .22s shoot but they’re zamak inside.   That is a no deal to me.

I am sure if you wait for the cz457 you will be pleased with the quality.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Depends on your preference.   I like wood and steel but for some hunting stainless and synthetic make a bit of sense.

Heirloom,....wood and steel.   browning BL22 is heirloom grade if you want a lever gun.  The Henry .22s shoot but they’re zamak inside.   That is a no deal to me.

I am sure if you wait for the cz457 you will be pleased with the quality.
View Quote

Of that I have no doubt. It’s be nice to use Ruger mags if the RAR has that level of quality in the gun itself. The stock I can replace later.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#24]
10/22 or a german air rifle

irons on both
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:25:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Pistol… no rifles. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#26]
while almost any .22 will do, in my experience the Browning Automatic .22 is the nicest handling, most natural pointing, light little squirrel/woods rifle around.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:40:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#27]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
I've taken up squirrel hunting with a .22 Cal PCP air rifle....all the fun with little noise. Give it a try.
View Quote

This is a fun, quiet (if suppressed) way to go, I've done some of the same for rabbits and squirrel.

For a .22lr, when I started looking for a new one a year or so ago, one of the only options on the shelf was the T/C R22. After comparing the features and handling one I was sold. After using it in the field it is light years ahead of what I grew up with. Threaded barrel, cleaning port in the back of the receiver, uses mostly all 10/22 parts, can use TC or Ruger magazines (last round bolt hold open with TC magazines), Magpul stock from the factory, fiber optic front sight with a peep rear. Put a decent scope and sling on it and you're ready to go. It's not a Kidd or other fancy 10/22 clone but it is light, accurate, the price is right, and it is a great improvement over the 10/22. Great little field rifle.

If you're looking for something that will serve double duty as a target gun I'd certainly look elsewhere - the CZs would excel there or perhaps a Tikka T1x.

ETA: didn't read the whole thread before replying but lots of other great options were shared. Heirloom quality was mentioned - personally, I'd buy one field gun for hunting and one or more heirloom rifles. Might be worth looking at some lightly used older rifles too, there are some dandy classics out there but prices continue to rise.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I think the question really comes down to what's your budget and what if any value do you place on quality or is it all about functionality?

There are dozens of rifles that will get the job done just fine and if all you care about is functionality but there are some really nice options out there too if you have the coin.

The CZ 457's are solid choices but I have no idea why they don't have a 16.5" American model and I've never been a huge fan of their mags.

A really nice option if you are willing to spend this much is the Christensen Arms Ranger 22 (Christensen Arms Ranger 22)

18" Carbine fiber (threaded barrel), Remmy 700 trigger, Ruger 10/22 mags, 5.1lbs - Damn near perfect IMO

Another solid choice for a little less money is the Bergara BMR (Bergara BMR)

Similar to the Ranger 22 (18" threaded CF barrel, 700 trigger, 5lbs) but does not use 10/22 mags
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Do you have a holster that accepts a suppressed pistol? If yes details please.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I placed a back order with my LGS for a cz457 American.

@SteelonSteel
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:
I placed a back order with my LGS for a cz457 American.

@SteelonSteel
View Quote

It’s probably the best way.  CZ does production in batches,....there will be nothing then  a container or two will show up and suddenly everybody has the same models.  CZ 75s just hit the stores again.  

May your wait be short!
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#32]

It’s probably the best way.  CZ does production in batches,....there will be nothing then  a container or two will show up and suddenly everybody has the same models.  CZ 75s just hit the stores again.  

May your wait be short!
View Quote

@SteelonSteel

Rifle came in 2 weeks ago.  Haven't had a chance to zero in, but mounted a Weaver classic 2.5-7x variable scope I had on hand, and it seems to pair well with the rifle in terms of weight, balance, and aesthetics.  She comes to the should nicely and the extra heft of the 24 inch barrel makes steady hold for standing unsupported shots better.

Can't wait to try her out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh that is a nice and appropriate scope for that, good power choice I think.   I never realized how just right they were until I was older.  

I am very happy with 1-5 and 2-7 scopes!
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I am putting 16in bull barrels on all my 10/22s.

My marlin 60s are not light.

For me thinner barrels and light rifles are to whippy and hard to keep steady.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Here is what I used the last two days of the season.

Didn't get one, but I'll be back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top