Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2021 10:53:33 AM EDT
I picked up some of these gas cans and it looks like the gaskets are shot.

Anyone have a lead on replacements?

They don't seem to match anything I can find online.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
have you tried to take them out and flip them over?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
you can also make new ones
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you can also make new ones
View Quote

Was hoping to find someone selling them preformed. The cans were $20 each and I have 7 of them...
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you check all the info in the thumb tack at the top of the forum page

Fuel can Oracle
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fuel can Oracle
View Quote

That's freaking 35 pages spanning 10 years with most of the pictures dead links. I skimmed thru five them and all I saw were the standard circle and oblong gaskets. Figured I'd ask if anyone had seen these before.

Just a note, these cans have "SEA" stamped on the side of them. The looked like a good deal but now I guess I'll have to buy a sheet of viton and cut my own.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's freaking 35 pages spanning 10 years with most of the pictures dead links. I skimmed thru five them and all I saw were the standard circle and oblong gaskets. Figured I'd ask if anyone had seen these before.

Just a note, these cans have "SEA" stamped on the side of them. The looked like a good deal but now I guess I'll have to buy a sheet of viton and cut my own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuel can Oracle

your cans are French.  SEA was the French Army's branch responsible for fuel supply
I have not been able to locate seals for those and have heard that there is no known spout or seal available  but obviously you can make your own seal and put those bad boys back into service.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
your cans are French.  SEA was the French Army's branch responsible for fuel supply
I have not been able to locate seals for those and have heard that there is no known spout or seal available  but obviously you can make your own seal and put those bad boys back into service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuel can Oracle

Found this writeup on the SEA cans.
Damn, I knew this deal was too good to be true. Thanks for the intel. The liners are all intact and they hold liquid, but the gaskets vent easily. The test gas I put in this spring is stale.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC99K5/

Unfortunately, they are made in China.
View Quote

Those won't fit his French cans...

Unfortunately OP, you're going to have to make them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC99K5/

Unfortunately, they are made in China.

Is there a better place to buy viton sheets? I saw a 36"x12"x1/16" is about $65 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is there a better place to buy viton sheets? I saw a 36"x12"x1/16" is about $65 on Amazon.
View Quote

Dang! I think I when I bought a couple 12x12x1/16 several years ago it was less than $10.

#1, look for smaller sheets, you don't need more than a 12x12 for those cans. #2 1/16 sounds too thin, NATO can gaskets are about 3/16 thick. Have you measured the French cans? #3 Definitely look other places bc Amazon is known to jack prices up high as stock runs low as a way of ensuring things stay in-stock. Run a "camelcamelcamel check" on that Amazon items and see if that's the regular price or if it is temporarily high.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dang! I think I when I bought a couple 12x12x1/16 several years ago it was less than $10.

#1, look for smaller sheets, you don't need more than a 12x12 for those cans. #2 1/16 sounds too thin, NATO can gaskets are about 3/16 thick. Have you measured the French cans? #3 Definitely look other places bc Amazon is known to jack prices up high as stock runs low as a way of ensuring things stay in-stock. Run a "camelcamelcamel check" on that Amazon items and see if that's the regular price or if it is temporarily high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll pry the gaskets out for some thickness checks. Thanks for the advice.

What's the best way to pressure test after making my own? I was thinking baking soda and vinegar, or maybe dry ice but not sure what these things are really rated for
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What's the best way to pressure test after making my own? I was thinking baking soda and vinegar, or maybe dry ice but not sure what these things are really rated for
View Quote

Well my NATO cans are rated full of gas sitting in the hot sun getting all puffy on their sides.
I don't know why your carried once dropped twice cans would be different.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't overthink the pressure testing. Put a little gas in, leave in sun, do they swell? If yes, they hold at least some pressure. Now vent the pressure off, seal again then take somewhere cool, do they suck in? If so, they hold negative pressure. The final test, put the can in a hot vehicle (in passenger compartment)  w/ the windows up and leave it set for 4 or 5 hours in the hot sun. Then go have a sniff in the car, any gas smells? If yes, it leaks a little under pressure, if no, it holds pressure very well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't know if @Vatopa has checked in, but he has made viton gaskets before, for MFCs IRC.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey thanks Merlin.

I have the MFC lid seals.  

Really I could make this seal but would need to be in some larger quantity to be cost effective.  Like maybe 100.

We are good at making circles, this is more of a odd shape. Odd equals costly unfortunately.  

On another note:  Viton as well as most other materials used to make seals and gaskets are experiencing the rona virus shortages.  Manufacturers lead times have gone from 4 weeks to 32 weeks or not at all.  That will mean price increases.   We have seen 8-12% already.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey thanks Merlin.

Really I could make this seal but would need to be in some larger quantity to be cost effective.  Like maybe 100.

We are good at making circles, this is more of a odd shape. Odd equals costly unfortunately.  

On another note:  Viton as well as most other materials used to make seals and gaskets are experiencing the rona virus shortages.  Manufacturers lead times have gone from 4 weeks to 32 weeks or not at all.  That will mean price increases.   We have seen 8-12% already.

View Quote

I'd be interested in buying ten preformed gaskets at the $10/each price point for my filled once dropped twice tanks.

JAX Outdoors (similar to Cabelas) has been blowing these fuel cans out here in CO, I can't be the only fellow who realized their gaskets suck. I suspect a lot were imported in 2020/2021, could be a good niche to get into.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd be interested in buying ten preformed gaskets at the $10/each price point for my filled once dropped twice tanks.

JAX Outdoors (similar to Cabelas) has been blowing these fuel cans out here in CO, I can't be the only fellow who realized their gaskets suck. I suspect a lot were imported in 2020/2021, could be a good niche to get into.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey thanks Merlin.

You could always make your own, from Viton sheets from McMaster:  https://www.mcmaster.com/viton-fluoroelastomer/shape~sheet-and-bar/chemical-resistant-viton-fluoroelastomer-gasket-material-6/

If the link doesn't work, it's part number 9473K61 for 12"x12"x1/16" sheet.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You could always make your own, from Viton sheets from McMaster:  https://www.mcmaster.com/viton-fluoroelastomer/shape~sheet-and-bar/chemical-resistant-viton-fluoroelastomer-gasket-material-6/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey thanks Merlin.

Thanks, I'm probably going to go this route. Someone above said 3/16 might be better. I need to inspect what I've got an buy enough to exacto-knife out the replacements.

Thanks for all the input everyone
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had to throw that old bullshit line out there.
Hope you get yer gaskets sorted out op.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I was looking at those cans yesterday on Sportsmens website. They’re $25 each but I wasn’t able to find any seals so I’ll probably just buy a new cans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top