Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2023 8:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoVa]
Got about 4 acres planted in grain sorghum today in preparation for the upcoming dove season. I will post more photos as the fields progress as well as some dove shoot photos. If you plant dove fields please share!

ETA: hopefully the pictures work now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you need any help knocking those Dove down ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
First post is standard reply to anyone admitting that they have a dove field  he he
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always run out of time to get a field going the past few years. I am available, however, to help keep them flying labor day weekend.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#4]
One thing is for sure, if you have a good field there is never a shortage of volunteers to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SoVa:
One thing is for sure, if you have a good field there is never a shortage of volunteers to shoot.
View Quote

Actually, that was my problem. Everyone last minute would go to the ole miss game or some crap.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorghum doesn’t ripen around here until Thanksgiving. Most plant it for the second season.
Sunflowers for the first. Only, the deer like my sunflowers when they’re young and tender.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Sorghum doesn’t ripen around here until Thanksgiving. Most plant it for the second season.
Sunflowers for the first. Only, the deer like my sunflowers when they’re young and tender.
View Quote

I would have thought that it would be finished faster there than here. I did my first field last year and used millet, the drought we had didn’t do it any favors, my neighbor planted sorghum and it looked great through the drought and every dove I shot at my place was full of sorghum so I decided to go that route this year. I really didn’t want or have time for all the extra work for sunflowers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SoVa:

I would have thought that it would be finished faster there than here. I did my first field last year and used millet, the drought we had didn’t do it any favors, my neighbor planted sorghum and it looked great through the drought and every dove I shot at my place was full of sorghum so I decided to go that route this year. I really didn’t want or have time for all the extra work for sunflowers.
View Quote

Ive done well over millet. Can’t recall a sorghum field.  The second half of the season, for some reason, I did well over a picked cotton field on a wet Thanksgiving weekend.  Nice looking field you got there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Doing brown top millet again this year.  There's oats and wheat on the field now from the food plots over deer and turkey seasons.  Millet is going in this week probably so it will be dropping seed somewhere around the last week or 10 days of August.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Coming along nicely, about 45 days in. Had some top dress fertilizer applied a week ago and have gotten decent rain since. I’m much more hopeful for my field this year than I was last year.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#11]
About 60 days from planting, it is really doing well. Should be fully mature 2-3  weeks prior to season.

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The sunflower field I’m hunting in the morning.

Link Posted: 10/10/2023 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Dove has always been my favorite hunt.  Putting in some rows of sunflower is like a siren's call to them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bandhunter:
The sunflower field I’m hunting in the morning.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443542/IMG_3315-2939959.jpg
View Quote

Well, I guess I should of read the entire thread before posting, hahahaha.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top