Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2020 4:01:06 PM EDT
Not really a migration report, yet!
Just wondering how your local birds are doing hatch wise
In my area  Mallards are definitely the best in years, if not decades  
Just on a 1/4 mile of the river I've seen 3 broods, with 2,6,and 8 ducklings . I haven't seen a brood in 10 years.
Wood duck boxes show around 60% activity
Canada broods are doing great , another banner hatch.
All of this occurring in a 5ft. flood stage.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
average to above average canada goose hatch here in southeastern SD.  Some areas of northeastern SD are dealing with high water again so it will be interesting to see how the "duck factory" does.  Lots of temporary wetlands for the birds this spring due to carryover from our really wet year last year.
Have seen some duck broods so far but nothing to indicate one way or another how the hatch is.  Have a wood duck nesting in a natural tree cavity in my backyard neighbor's tree.  We're in the middle of town...going to be a long walk for those ducklings to get to water.
I don't believe USFWS is doing spring surveys due to wu-flu, so population news will likely come in the form of localized reports from biologists in the field this summer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Canada’s have had good hatches and they’re already changing colors.

Tons and tons of woodies on the rivers

Mallards are sitting pretty and fat on on farm ponds
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty darn weak in SE Wi, no doves to speak of, and geese are sitting on the golf courses.
Cutting alfalfa Monday on the 20, hopefully brings them around,  because there is no action on the river.
Teal reports are spotty, no real flight patterns to follow,  here again gone again.
How are things by you?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Dove pretty spotty in KY.  Was hot opening day and then had a big rain/cold front come in.  

Sat on some cut millet today.  Had maybe 12 dove come by all morning. I got 3 but all were long shots.  Buddy skunked out.

He said the evening hunts have been sparse too.  For reference high today was 82 low last night was 56
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
We've had a wood duck box at our pond for several years and never saw a successful nesting until this spring.  That's a good sign.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Doves have pretty much bailed out of my area of SD now.  Teal are wadded up and declining in number as well.  mallards, pintail, and wood ducks starting to hit harvested grain fields.
Guys are doing pretty good on canadas, molt migration happened early; across MN, WI, ND, and SD guys were pounding migrators on Monday and Tuesday.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a new lease for the dove club this year.  It was excellent hunting opening day. Quick limit with the .410.  I had a momma dove on my front porch this year, she is sitting on her 4th pair of little ones.  First six all made it out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
First of the migrating Canadas came down the Champlain Valley in VT/NY today. We welcomed them with open arms.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
First of the migrating Canadas came down the Champlain Valley in VT/NY today. We welcomed them with open arms.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164162/C8971A89-F948-46DE-812A-ADC19CE577AF_jpe-1587822.JPG
View Quote

Great job! Most of my goose hunting is on land.
Nothing like having the "big splash " over water .
I have to live vicariously through you guys and my buddies back home.
I won't be home until the day before the Wisconsin south zone opener, and then it's a fire drill prepping for shooting time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Well the waterfowl disappeared very quick up here in SW AK.
Birds are even gone where they always hang out till freeze up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:56:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chukar] [#11]
Attachment Attached File
Opening weekend report from SE Wi.
Great opening morning yesterday,  buddies and their kids limited out on  wood ducks, and a  few teal.
Didn't bring goose floaters out, dumb move!
Birds wouldn't commit just by calling,  and were just out of  range.
Personally didn’t even take the safety off.
My juice was calling and letting the youngins' shoot.
Trying for afternoon geese now.
Edit-> Canadas are moving in the past few days.
Numerous birds in SE Wi and NE Il, actually never seen this many, this early.
Heard that Hutchinsons(cacklers) were mixed in, which is rare.
We usually get them in late November.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't made it out yet for northern IL. But IL DNR did bump number to 3 a day for canadians and I've had buddies limit out a few times already. Hoping that's a good sign as I haven't seen any migrators yet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]
had one of those hunts yesterday where you take turns shooting drake mallards and even then you're done way to fast.

5 man limit of ducks and 21 snows & darks yesterday.  Will be interesting to see what the concentrations of ducks do now that our lakes and sloughs that were ice covered the past 3-6 days start opening back up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:44:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deere_John_16] [#14]
Good hunt this morning in Southern Indiana.   We killed 5 different duck species (Green Wing Teal, Ring Neck, Red Head, Wigeon, Mallard), and observed 3 more working our spread (Wood Duck, Pin Tail, Merganzer).   Also had some geese work our spread.

And a gorgeous sunrise.  Was pretty clear so birds were skittish once the sun got up a bit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:25:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bandhunter] [#15]
3 ring necks and a wood duck last Saturday.  Saw more big groups of ducks in that spot than we have seen in several years.  Headed to Outer Banks tomorrow to hunt a couple days.  There were thousands of ducks out there last week.  Gotta see what cold front did.  I’ll do a report when I get back.  Hope everyone had a merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Birds are here in Coastal NC.  Had a blue bird day yesterday.  Slick as glass, birds didn’t move and didn’t kill anything. Today the wind blew 20+ and we limited out.  Saw thousands of birds.  Didn’t see the first Red Head until 945. Picked up 6 by 10:30.  Killed 5 on one pass.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Any reports on snows ?
Thinking about hitting  Squaw Creek, Mo and Fayette county,  Il., if I can get the time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chukar:
Any reports on snows ?
Thinking about hitting  Squaw Creek, Mo and Fayette county,  Il., if I can get the time.
View Quote

There were decent amounts of snows in Southern Indiana last weekend.   They were all super skittish though.  We had some trying to work our Canada spread and would circle in an lock up early, then flare.  Would circle 7-8 times before going 100 yards away and landing in the middle of random field.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info!
Only thing here is Canadas and Mergansers...
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Double tapped the geese
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top