Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/25/2020 6:01:41 PM EDT
First deer of the season last night.  152lb 7 Points.

Show what you got.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
My son killed his first deer last night with my crossbow. It’s doubly special because he killed it on our land in a food plot he helped plant. f
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Found an area this summer and scouted. Went out Sunday morning and there is tons of sign, deer and elk. No sighting but will go back... and I think I found my November Elk Hunt area...

Bonus footage: Grandfathers Model 99 300 Savage with Leupold 4x fixed scope, circa 1950's. Why? Because it's cool...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a monster by any means but still an important one to me. I'm 35 and decided to take up deer hunting this year. My very first dear taken with a compound bow at about 35 yards. Addicted now...Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
 My Son got his first buck after countless hour of hard work and it paid off two weeks ago when he shot this five and a half year old 10 point buck
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a monster by any means but still an important one to me. I'm 35 and decided to take up deer hunting this year. My very first dear taken with a comlount bow at about 35 yards. Addicted now...https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/495603/20201002_200633_jpg-1621682.JPG
View Quote

Great! I bow hunted for many years and just took up rifle about five years back. Congrats, enjoy every meal this winter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Been getting this guy in the back of our 10 acres for a little while. Nice young 10 I think.

Attachment Attached File

Sorry for cell pic of laptop screen.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
My son's Mule deer buck off public land in WY.

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My son killed his first deer last night with my crossbow. It’s doubly special because he killed it on our land in a food plot he helped plant. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/E3B6BDE9-9A64-4B4A-961E-8FDF40964025-1620972.jpgf
View Quote

Good job sir.  My son is 6 and wants to go but can't sit still for more than two minutes.  I can't wait to share that with my son.  Congrats to him.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not a monster by any means but still an important one to me. I'm 35 and decided to take up deer hunting this year. My very first dear taken with a compound bow at about 35 yards. Addicted now...https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/495603/20201002_200633_jpg-1621682.JPG
View Quote

Congrats. They are all trophy’s. You’ll never forget that one no matter how big your next are
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good job sir.  My son is 6 and wants to go but can't sit still for more than two minutes.  I can't wait to share that with my son.  Congrats to him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My son killed his first deer last night with my crossbow. It’s doubly special because he killed it on our land in a food plot he helped plant. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/E3B6BDE9-9A64-4B4A-961E-8FDF40964025-1620972.jpgf

He’s 10. This has been the first year he’s able to sit even kind of still. I still have to hunt with him in a full blind, but he’s starting to get it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I post this in GD and just saw this forum.

He lives a half mile from my house on about 140 acres in the city.  I shot him last year at dusk at 40 yards with a crossbow.  Heard the bolt hit him, he wheezed and limped off. I gave him half hour and started tracking.  Found the bolt, covered in FAT (not good).  Think I hit him super low or in front of the shoulders.  He was standing broadside but at about a 25* incline from my blind and I was shaking like mad. After I found the bolt I found a little blood but it was too dark and lost the trail.  Gave him the night off and resumed in the AM.  Found a 150 yard trail leading to where he bed down and bleed good, maybe a half quart.  He was gone.  Never to be seen again during the day.  I did see him a few times at night with a thermal and knew it was him with a front right leg limp.  

Early spring came and my son and I went shed hunting.  Found both of his sheds within 50 yards of each other.  He's alive!  Made it through winter!  Set my trail cam and feeders up three days ago and checked it last night.  He's still here!  Bigger than ever. I was super pumped he stayed in the area.  He was a massive 9 point last year and I can't tell if he's 12, 14 or 15 points this year.  Should have some better cam footage soon.  Need to invest in a new camera too.

I'm going to hunt him this weekend.  Wish me luck.

Shed we found last year:

maybe his son with him

and a picture I drew 15 years ago.  Looks like the buck I'm after.

NEW PICTURES.  I'm counting 15 points.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Bagging some meat before the rut.

Cross bolt deflected off the ribs and went through the stomach coming out.  

First time that's happened.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Daughter shot her first deer last night. 62gr TSX at a bit over 100 yards. Dropped like a rock.

Midget 8pt

Attachment Attached File

Flip flop recoil pad with flip flops on it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Daughter shot her first deer last night. 62gr TSX at a bit over 100 yards. Dropped like a rock.

Midget 8pt

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170936/85E68060-855D-4B73-A04B-9DB2328A146A_jpe-1630436.JPG

Flip flop recoil pad with flip flops on it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170936/2AF0C9DC-500B-41C9-B052-EFD9DC935C41_jpe-1630437.JPG
View Quote

Well done!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Got this doe the first morning I went out on 10/2. 17 yard shot, ran about 40-50 yards and fell over. No meat damage!

Attachment Attached File

I had this buck on my camera 3 times in September. Hope he shows up for me!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Got a small 8 this evening with the crossbow.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Opening rifle day 10-17 @ 5:30PM
20 yards in south east GA
Winchester model 94 30-30 w/ Hornady leverevolution
Just a 3 point, just shy of 150lbs.

Great memories with dad being in the homemade ground blind with me.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Best I've got on camera so far this year.

Attachment Attached File

Wife got her 2nd deer and 1st buck of her life a couple days ago.  Actually pretty decent body size, but she decided to ignore all that and just snap a picture of his little rack.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I wish this subforum got more traffic.

Shitty little spike I got opening day with my bow.

I hunt a creek that runs through the place. I get all kinds of random nice bucks traveling it during the rut, so I like to wait until late Nov/Dec to start considering shoot a good buck.
Nice 8 I got last season. Scored 133". Saw him for the first time the morning I shot him.

main target so far this season

few nice bucks from last season.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Shot her last night. Savage Hog Hunter .308win, Vortex Viper PST Gen1 2.5-10x, and 180gr Fed. Non-Typicals.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Tagged. Rifle season starts in 2 weeks and I'll be out. Wish me luck
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tagged. Rifle season starts in 2 weeks and I'll be out. Wish me luck
View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote
Thanks. I regret letting this guy walk last year. Maybe he managed to live and work come back to see me. He ain't the biggest deer, but didn't see any more the times I was hunting last year

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Optimistic place holder, ive never brought anything home bigger than a cotton tail(that was predating on the garden, so was FAT and DUMB).  Seasons opens Saturday here, and ive got all week to walk through the woods looking for one(I'll take a mildly retarded, short bus deer with 4.1 inch spikes), so  now here is the rifle(savage axis, custom shaw barrel in 6.5 cm that I rebarreld my self, trigger jobbed my self, and duracoated my self; if I don't find a deer this hunting expedition cost me 700 bucks... )  .Shoots .5 moa with 131 S&B soft points.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Recurve, Western UP
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Public land or private? Curious how you target areas to hunt in the UP. My (limited) understanding is that it's pretty much all big woods with limited variation in vegetation.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:34:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Public land or private? Curious how you target areas to hunt in the UP. My (limited) understanding is that it's pretty much all big woods with limited variation in vegetation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That doe was actually on public, but we hunt both. It is all about the food source in the UP. This year was pretty simple, because the oaks were heavy with acorns. I found a spot loaded with oaks and acorns, and the deer were so thick it was actually a challenge, in that I would have deer feeding 360 degrees around me....no matter what the wind did I was busted. I ended up on a steep ridge, with my back to the drop off. With a north wind, at least my scent was blowing out over "nothing".

Food source is always key up there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#32]
First ever big game hunt. Day 3 tagged out. Nothing spectacular, but when you talk to about 20 hunters all of whom are running around like a chicken with their head cut off trying find ANY buck. Day 2 driving out to a glassing point, my light bar lit this guys eyes up about 1/4 mile away and off to the left coming up the hill to bed in the AM before shooting hours. in my mind hunt was on, 0 deer on day 1 and only 1 person had seen one and tagged out that i spoke to.

Continued to my glassing knob and NOTHING again, so we moved back to the area where the deer was seen. I had marked it exactly on on X. Parked where it crossed and put a second mark where it was going so i had direction as well. Glassed the hill side and nothing so decided to put boots on ground. Found a 4x trail that went halfway up the hill then ventured on foot the rest of the way with hopes of finding out where the deer was bedded. Hiked about 3-4 miles total, hiked around the front of the hill where the deer was las seen and found a game trail, then followed that back the way we came seeing TONS of fresh sign on the hillside, beds, poop, rubs but no deer. At one point there was a cattle fence (barbed wire) where the top strand was broke and you could see the wear from where all the deer were jumping at this point. Now we had a plan.

That night we scouted the hill to see if we could catch it leaving, 4 hours glassing and nothing. Next day were right back to the hill where we thought it was bedded, nothing. come around the side where we saw alot of sign, nothing. come around to the front where we caught him coming up the hill hoping to see him on the hill bedding down and here comes the little guy hopping up the hill with 2 does. Slam on the brakes, get the rifle from the back seat and get a quick range. 330 to a tree that he just passed, dial .9 mils for 550 (he was still travelling up and away) and get prone. Turns broad side to look at his does and gives me a perfect shot. Immediately hit the ground and kicked twice before expiring. One of the best days ever, so much work went into this, years of wondering how does one get into big game hunting before finally taking the leap and harvesting a buck...

EDIT: should add, rifle was a tikka t3 lite, 6.5 creedmore, 143eld-x moving at around 2750FPS. hit a little farther back then id like but still took out both lungs and passed all the way through with a nice golf ball sized exit wount.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Tag for later

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm trying it with my recurve for the first time this year. 100gr Magnus stingers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm trying it with my recurve for the first time this year. 100gr Magnus stingers.
View Quote

Thats awesome.

I tend to go heavy on the arrow...much weight forward. My broadheads are 250 grains, and I have a 100 grain brass insert in the shaft.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#37]
My daughter with this year's doe. Small but tasty.
Attachment Attached File

Of course, we finally found her a properly fitting vest the next day.

My spike from this morning. Tagged out until gun season now.
Attachment Attached File
o
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not a monster by any means but still an important one to me. I'm 35 and decided to take up deer hunting this year. My very first dear taken with a compound bow at about 35 yards. Addicted now...https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/495603/20201002_200633_jpg-1621682.JPG
View Quote

The first is always a great one. Well done.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thats awesome.

I tend to go heavy on the arrow...much weight forward. My broadheads are 250 grains, and I have a 100 grain brass insert in the shaft.
View Quote
I've only been shooting with 100gr field points. I'd like to get more FOC, but I can't afford to shell out for all the different arrows I'd have to buy to tune a different setup. Maybe next season I'll go heavier.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
First ever big game hunt. Day 3 tagged out. Nothing spectacular, but when you talk to about 20 hunters all of whom are running around like a chicken with their head cut off trying find ANY buck. Day 2 driving out to a glassing point, my light bar lit this guys eyes up about 1/4 mile away and off to the left coming up the hill to bed in the AM before shooting hours. in my mind hunt was on, 0 deer on day 1 and only 1 person had seen one and tagged out that i spoke to.

Continued to my glassing knob and NOTHING again, so we moved back to the area where the deer was seen. I had marked it exactly on on X. Parked where it crossed and put a second mark where it was going so i had direction as well. Glassed the hill side and nothing so decided to put boots on ground. Found a 4x trail that went halfway up the hill then ventured on foot the rest of the way with hopes of finding out where the deer was bedded. Hiked about 3-4 miles total, hiked around the front of the hill where the deer was las seen and found a game trail, then followed that back the way we came seeing TONS of fresh sign on the hillside, beds, poop, rubs but no deer. At one point there was a cattle fence (barbed wire) where the top strand was broke and you could see the wear from where all the deer were jumping at this point. Now we had a plan.

That night we scouted the hill to see if we could catch it leaving, 4 hours glassing and nothing. Next day were right back to the hill where we thought it was bedded, nothing. come around the side where we saw alot of sign, nothing. come around to the front where we caught him coming up the hill hoping to see him on the hill bedding down and here comes the little guy hopping up the hill with 2 does. Slam on the brakes, get the rifle from the back seat and get a quick range. 330 to a tree that he just passed, dial .9 mils for 550 (he was still travelling up and away) and get prone. Turns broad side to look at his does and gives me a perfect shot. Immediately hit the ground and kicked twice before expiring. One of the best days ever, so much work went into this, years of wondering how does one get into big game hunting before finally taking the leap and harvesting a buck...

EDIT: should add, rifle was a tikka t3 lite, 6.5 creedmore, 143eld-x moving at around 2750FPS. hit a little farther back then id like but still took out both lungs and passed all the way through with a nice golf ball sized exit wount.

https://i.imgur.com/aJnGnhg.jpg
View Quote

What unit were you in?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've only been shooting with 100gr field points. I'd like to get more FOC, but I can't afford to shell out for all the different arrows I'd have to buy to tune a different setup. Maybe next season I'll go heavier.
View Quote

If they are flying true, the weight forward is mute.

Traditional bows are way more sensitive to tuning than compounds or crossbows. The arrow can't afford to waste any energy as it punches through the animal.

I rely on weight forward as a crutch, protecting me against a potential sloppy release.

A few years ago I did a test...shot 2 does on consecutive days, standing in almost the same spot, same angle, etc....one with  a heavy FOC carbon shaft, the other with a cedar shaft. Both arrows fully penetrated for a double lung.

FOC is awesome, but not required. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#42]

17 Point : 197 3/8 Trophy Whitetail hunt
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#43]

I got her this afternoon. She came in and was about 10 yards out. The entrance went in on top of her shoulder and into her left lung.

Can anyone give me a rough age? I couldn’t help but notice all the wear on the fur around her mouth. She also had some worn places on her side that made me think she had gotten some road rash or something.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Virginia muzzle loader opener.  Afternoon hunt about 15 minutes in the stand.  
30 yard shot, ran maybe 30 and dropped.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Camaroman, Not sure about the age of your deer but to me she looks like a very old doe. In my book an old doe is probable the hardest deer to hunt.
Congrats to you and all other hunters here with pictures.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/dHvU89G.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kJGzGCY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6tj0gCO.jpg

I got her this afternoon. She came in and was about 10 yards out. The entrance went in on top of her shoulder and into her left lung.

Can anyone give me a rough age? I couldn’t help but notice all the wear on the fur around her mouth. She also had some worn places on her side that made me think she had gotten some road rash or something.
View Quote

Save her jaw bone, and show us her teeth.

I look at a lot of deer in the woods....that gray on her face is telling....maybe 5-6? Seeing her on the hoof next to other deer would help....was she sway backed and pot bellied?
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Camaroman, Not sure about the age of your deer but to me she looks like a very old doe. In my book an old doe is probable the hardest deer to hunt.
Congrats to you and all other hunters here with pictures.
View Quote

Yeah, she's got the look of an old one in the face. If not too late, skin the skull out and look at her teeth. That's one of the better ways to age a deer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#48]
First of the year. A week in waders bogging it out on the ground against the skeeters and thick shit and long walks.  Little spike sika stag.  Gonna taste good tho.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
First of the year. A week in waders bogging it out on the ground against the skeeters and thick shit and long walks.  Little spike sika stag.  Gonna taste good tho.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88780/BA280006-F1FB-4617-90B5-3C2E3C20FF3A_jpe-1666378.JPG
View Quote

I've shot beavers and even raccoonsthat weighed more than the average Sika...but I hear the little things are amazing on the plate!!!!

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've shot beavers and even raccoons that weighed more than the average Sika...but I hear the little things are amazing on the plate!!!!

Enjoy.
View Quote

Yep.  We missed the rut this year, so it was work to get into a shot; most days we were sitting in water. The only other shot I had in 8 days was a hind that woulda run maybe 25lbs--Kinda regret passing that shot...  So damn tasty.  The one I shot was 47lbs dressed; a big one is 100lbs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top