Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2019 8:43:30 PM EDT
Sorry about the late start, work is getting in the way!
Anyway, SE wi. geese have been starting to move , lots of migrators in past 2 weeks.
Ducks, lots of local birds.
Hundreds of wood ducks moving on the river, with mallards mixed in.
Local hatch has to be a record, old timer up river from me said he has never seen this many.
Flood water has them spread out, but if you find dead water with no current you'll be on an X.

How is it going in your area?
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Sodak carried a TON of ducks through spring into summer due to water everywhere.  I don't remember seeing this many divers this early since 2012 when I was scouting before opener.
Right now we're losing BW teal, but we've picked up a lot of gadwall and the divers are either grouping up or we've gotten more in of those as well.  Mainly seeing redheads and ringers for divers, some cans, some buffies.
Mallards are plentiful but really spread out yet; a few guys are starting to shoot a few in harvested soybeans or silage corn, but most everybody is still hunting flooded crops or flooded grass.
Goose numbers are up from a few weeks ago, but again, not sure if that's locals grouping up or if we've picked up migrators.  Haven't seen any lessers or squeakers yet, but I've heard specks migrating over at night in the moonlight a few times this week.

Guys in ND are reporting really really spread out birds with some pressured areas losing a lot of birds.  Got friends that just got back from Saskatchewan and beat up on the snows and dark geese 4 days in a row.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me know when they get to Arkansas
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
We just got back from the Wadena, Saskatchewan area Sunday. The hunting was absolutely terrible.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FedDC:
View Quote
What part of the state?
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JDMnAR:
What part of the state?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What part of the state?
South East, about where the White and MS river meet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
I'm probably mostly due North of where you hunt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The River kinda defines the flyway...so North is a good place to be, so long as it's on the river.  My place would be EPIC...if the Federal fish and game people would rotate refuge closure on White River Refuge...South Unit is useless as they never open it while North Unit is a madhouse year after year...

It's just poorly managed and the ducks sit in S. Unit forever, disrupting the migration...while hunters yell at each other N. of Hwy 1.

Add in the OOSER ban on the AR controlled ground this year....going to make the Federal Refuge kinda sporty...

Feds making my life hard all around.  LOL
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Arkansas tried that before and banned them for the state (not just state-owned properties)...then rescinded the ban in 2008.   Expect the spinners to show up again before too much longer.

And I hunt private property, so the motorized decoys are fair game for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah....if MS would agree, we would have a spinner ban and things would level out.  I think Mojos have pretty much lost their impact at this point anyway.  I ran them last year and they were helpful to get ducks to work at distance...but none would finish with the Mojo working.

That setup from motionducks looks pretty good.  I might try it.

I need to finally join a club.  I've been back and forth as I have several thousand acres of private ground that I have full access to...but it is all fields and they are fully harvested, so not ideal for anything other than white geese.

I need to find a good flooded timber club now that I have a son to get initiated into the world of blowing a call and hiding behind a tree.

Finding a good club with flooded timber that is accepting new members is kinda tough...and not just for money.  I was offered a "membership" in one a few years back but the "membership" was more like an internship where you buy and set out 500+ decoys for them...for years...and can't hunt certain days...and then maybe they let you become an actual member at some undetermined point in the future for a price that is TBD...as membership prices are not disclosed...

Had to decline that one.  Happy to contribute labor, decoys, food plot work, lodge maintenance...but wow.

We'll see.  I am looking for a flooded timber club to join.  Until then...me and my boat will be seen on WMAs near you...

Hoping this cold snap pushes ducks early...it's looking GOOOOOOD!
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Killing me right now, north wind and temp. drop.
Mallards pouring in on the river, and the bottoms are flooded.
Tomorrow is the reopaner! , week long shut down.
Have to place 3,000 yds. of concrete, OH well
Buddies shotting his pond, with the neighbors stock pond with about 100 mallards...

3rd person on my blind, but Ill keep you updated
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chukar] [#11]
Edit
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Geese are still on the river, with a few malllards mixed in.
Starting to get greenwing teal and some bufflehead also.
Working down in Moline, Il. for a few weeks and have seen huge flocks of mallards and some pintails by Joslin,Il.
Anyone hunt that area by the Rock river?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got back from Galvaston,Tx.
Vacatiion  with the woman, not hunting
But god damn you boys have birds there, especially teal and pintails!
Road trip from Galvaston to So. Padre I saw thousands of birds!,
Was cool to see clouds of them.

Bucketlist is a Laguna Madre hunt
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Went from Wi to Ca, Nebraska is loaded with snows.
East side to Lincoln,  western side there's 10K plus flocks. (Roscoe and  Keystone)
All white with a few juveniles mixed in.
South winds this weekend will push them up,and the young ones behind them!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Duck migration is super odd...

I don't think a lot of them ever truly migrated in the traditional sense.

I am seriously thinking about moving my hunting to Nebraska or similar...maybe Kansas.  I don't think the ducks make it to AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top