Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2019 11:17:50 PM EDT
With the weather getting milder I figured it was time to get back at smashing coyote. Captured one cutting through my back yard this am on the security camera so I figured tonight was the night to kick things off. I set up in a field behind my house knowing the odds were pretty good.

I hadn't even started the caller and it wasn't even good and dark when four came along the far side woodline about 250 yards out. I hit the caller and out of nowhere one came burning in from the left at about 60 yards or so, when I shot him, the others started my way.

As they got close, I shot one of the four and they scattered, one stopped about 200 yards out and I dropped that one but it crawled under an oak cluster... figured I'd find it but all that was there was blood under the tree and no blood trail despite spending over an hour looking.

So in less than 10 minutes in the field I knocked down three and recovered two... I'll take it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2019 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  Shooting coyote is big fun
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
You had fun Op, and got out of the basement.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going on my first coyote hunt this Friday.  Actually, it will be my first hunting experience period.  It will be amateur hour, but hopefully I dont come up empty handed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going on my first coyote hunt this Friday.  Actually, it will be my first hunting experience period.  It will be amateur hour, but hopefully I dont come up empty handed.
View Quote
Alas I was unsuccessful.  I didn't see anything, much less get a shot off.  Better luck next time I hope.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Alas I was unsuccessful.  I didn't see anything, much less get a shot off.  Better luck next time I hope.
View Quote
Tell us more about the hunt... where did you go, did you use a caller, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tell us more about the hunt... where did you go, did you use a caller, etc.
View Quote
I was hunting across harvested corn fields in the southeast that were bordered by dense woods on one side and a river on the other.  I called from four different locations spanning about 2 miles as the crow flies (all had been corn fields).

I was in pretty decent cover with my back towards the river, attempting to pull coyotes out of the woods and into the open.  I used a FoxPro Patriot and a "Sit-n-spin crazy critter" decoy.  My calling strategy was mostly rabbit distress, though I did try some female howls and pup-distress.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was hunting across harvested corn fields in the southeast that were bordered by dense woods on one side and a river on the other.  The  I called from four different locations spanning about 2 miles as the crow flies (all had been corn fields).

I was in pretty decent cover with my back towards the river, attempting to pull coyotes out of the woods and into the open.  I used a FoxPro Patriot and a "Sit-n-spin crazy critter" decoy.  My calling strategy was mostly rabbit distress, though I did try some female howls and pup-distress.
View Quote
Thanks... sounds like you were doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#10]
After a several month wait returning my Trail XP50, getting a refund, ordering a Trijicon, I'm finally back in action. Called this gal in last night. About 125 yard quartering shot, DRT.

Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish we could hunt them @ night. don't get me wrong we kill our fair share, but the states too worried about people poaching world class whitetails & would lose to much money from all the out of state hunters.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
though I did try some female howls and pup-distress.
View Quote
I'm not a calling expert so take my advice with a grain of salt.

You have to be certain that you're using the right calls at the appropriate times.

IE, you probably cued them in to something being wrong using a pup call. Pups were born in May and they're now juveniles. We're approaching mating season now; it would be alarming to hear a pup in distress call right now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Nailed this big dude night before last... last year I posted one very similar, this one was shot in the exact same spot. Yes, I know it looks like a Husky but I assure you it's a coyote. Perhaps some dog mixed in back down the line, I don't know.

Note the long legs and slight hint of brown at the bottoms of the legs.

Last night my buddy shot this one in the same spot...

We saw one other but it was about 600 yards out headed in the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After a several month wait returning my Trail XP50, getting a refund, ordering a Trijicon, I'm finally back in action. Called this gal in last night. About 125 yard quartering shot, DRT.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/X3wWab.jpg
View Quote
Several month ordeal? From everything I have heard Pulsar customer service is supposed to be the best in the industry.  What happened?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nailed this big dude night before last... last year I posted one very similar, this one was shot in the exact same spot. Yes, I know it looks like a Husky but I assure you it's a coyote. Perhaps some dog mixed in back down the line, I don't know.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/59O3Jk.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/SGEwjV.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/BnlF7V.jpg

We saw one other but it was about 600 yards out headed in the opposite direction.
View Quote
It’s a yote, short tail is a dead giveaway.  But there’s a lot of dog in there, maybe mom was a feral dog?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/59O3Jk.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/SGEwjV.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/BnlF7V.jpg

View Quote
Damn, I'd probably panic a little if I went to recover a coyote and saw that, the pattern definitely looks domestic. Very interesting looking coyote, surely it's a mix. This thread is inspiring me to take out my NV and do some calling.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Several month ordeal? From everything I have heard Pulsar customer service is supposed to be the best in the industry.  What happened?
View Quote
They (Sellmark and Pulsar) have EXCELLENT customer service... but apparently the Trail returns are as such they can't keep up... they told me so. They even brought a guy in from overseas to do In-House work.

From the time it took to request an RMA, get it, ship my Trail back to them, get in line for a replacement which they estimated was 4 to 6 weeks, kick up a little dust while waiting, attracted the attention of someone who facilitated an actual refund, time to get the refund, order a Trijicon from TNVC, and wait about 4 weeks for it to arrive was all in all right at or just under three months.

If I simply returned the Trail and would accept a straight up replacement, it would have taken probably six or seven weeks.

I hope the Trail 2 fairs much better... I really need a second unit and the Pulsar is an excellent, affordable option IF it would just hold zero... but they won't. Fingers crossed the Trail 2 resolves the issue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It’s a yote, short tail is a dead giveaway.  But there’s a lot of dog in there, maybe mom was a feral dog?
View Quote
I shot one like it, just a little lighter, last year (pic below) in the same spot. No doubt the two are related. Who knows...

Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#19]
We definitely had a great time out there the other night.  My new Trijicon arrives today so it’s time to hit the range and sight it in then hit the field ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
@Bowhntr6pt

I'm going to be in Ft. Lauderdale in the near future, do you know of any coyote guides in So. FL?  The nearest I can find are Okeecheebee area.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Bowhntr6pt

I'm going to be in Ft. Lauderdale in the near future, do you know of any coyote guides in So. FL?  The nearest I can find are Okeecheebee area.
View Quote
No Sir I sure don't.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Having a lot of success with my new Lucky Duck Roughneck. Especially the February furfest preset hunt. Working real well to bring them in and or get them talking
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Had the same POI issue with my trail XQ50.
After doing the dance with pulsar, I decided to upgrade to the Thermion XP38 after reading + seeing some positive reviews.
Luckily I have an Elcan specter mounted on a 20 tactical as a back up and will be able to do some hunting while waiting for the thermion.
Hopefully I'll be able to add to this thread soon.
SJC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top