Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2021 7:52:33 PM EDT
We have spotty cell phone and internet services where I live, and I got to thinking what happens if both go down at the same time. Since I'd be cut off from the outside world, I thought I'd check into a cheap HAM just to listen for weather/emergency info. I ordered a Baofeng, and while waiting for it to arrive I decided that I should get at least the Tech license, because even if I'm just listening, eventually I'm going to want to ask someone a question.

I talked a bit with some Missouri guys here;
https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/Official-MO-HAM-thread-/32-651176/

My radio arrived today, but the USB cable listed in the ad wasn't in the box. I don't see anywhere on the radio for one plug in, but I assume that's the programming cable for setting it up with CHIRP.  (Saw it referenced; have no idea how it works).  Right now that's my biggest question; what cable do I need, and where does it plug in?

Here's what I got in the mail today;

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit - I'm also starting to go through the tacked threads at the top. I'm definitely not a prepper/Mad Max type. I'm a disabled guy in the country wanting to stay in touch during power outages and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Baofeng programming cable. And it plugs into the Jack on the side opposite the PTT(push to talk) button. It's a small panel that opens. Same place the mic goes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Baofeng programming cable. And it plugs into the Jack on the side opposite the PTT(push to talk) button. It's a small panel that opens. Same place the mic goes.
View Quote

Baofeng programming cable

Chirp programming software

Some youtube tutorials on using the above
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Baofeng programming cable

Ordered. Thank you both.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The "Baofeng" programming cables from Radioddity have counterfeit chips in them.  Ask me how I know.  That's not to say they are unusable, but you may need to roll back some drivers, use Linux, stuff like that.  It is not plug and play with Windows 10.  

If you go to Baofengtech.com and use their amazon link to the cable, it will cost 20 bucks, but it is plug and play with Windows 10.

Basically, there is a chip in the cable thag converts the usb to act like a com port. If you want the easy to use chip, buy the legit chip/cable.  If you want to tinker with your computer to get it to work, you can use the counterfeit one.

ETA:  looks like I am too late.  Miklor.com will be your friend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
  ...and it still cost $20.  ($7.99, plus $9.99 shipping. I added a $2.02 tip to round it off).

I doubt that I can figure out drivers and stuff, so if it doesn't work I guess I'll order the other one.

Edit - I went ahead and ordered it. I don't want to wait twice. (Potentially).
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
On the plus side, I jear rafioddity has great CS.  If they shorted you a cable, they will make it right.  I'd call, assuming that's who you originally orfered from.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The "Baofeng" programming cables from Radioddity have counterfeit chips in them.  Ask me how I know.  That's not to say they are unusable, but you may need to roll back some drivers, use Linux, stuff like that.  It is not plug and play with Windows 10.  

If you go to Baofengtech.com and use their amazon link to the cable, it will cost 20 bucks, but it is plug and play with Windows 10.

Basically, there is a chip in the cable thag converts the usb to act like a com port. If you want the easy to use chip, buy the legit chip/cable.  If you want to tinker with your computer to get it to work, you can use the counterfeit one.

ETA:  looks like I am too late.  Miklor.com will be your friend.
View Quote

Well, crap.  That's news to me.  I hope I didn't steer OP wrong.  It's still probably worth it to just install the driver and give it a shot.  The cable I got for my Baothingy needed a driver and works just fine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
On the plus side, I jear rafioddity has great CS.  If they shorted you a cable, they will make it right.  I'd call, assuming that's who you originally orfered from.
View Quote

No, it was "happylikelisten" on Ebay, and I couldn't find a way to contact them about it. The only thing I could find was a return, and I don't want to do that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've tried downloading drivers before, and it just downloaded a DLL file. Then I was thinking *Ok, now what?* I never did figure that out, and just quit using whatever it was.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've tried downloading drivers before, and it just downloaded a DLL file. Then I was thinking *Ok, now what?* I never did figure that out, and just quit using whatever it was.
View Quote

The driver link just needs to be unzipped and then run.  You can actually do it before you get the cable and see if it installs.

ETA: that link is on the bottom of the cable listing
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Miklor.com has instructions.  The issue with windows 10 is that the default driver will detect the counterfeit chip.  So, you need to replace it with an older version of the driver that can't recognize that the chip is counterfeit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:59:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The driver link just needs to be unzipped and then run.  You can actually do it before you get the cable and see if it installs.

View Quote

Yeah, but the issue with the radioddity cable is that it is not a genuine Baofeng cable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll just use the second one that I ordered. Sucks that I paid $40 for a radio that was supposed to include the cable, then spent another $40 on cables.
Sometimes learning stuff has a cost.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll just use the second one that I ordered. Sucks that I paid $40 for a radio that was supposed to include the cable, then spent another $40 on cables.
View Quote

Ugh, my fault, bro.  Sorry
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:29:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, but the issue with the radioddity cable is that it is not a genuine Baofeng cable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll own the mistake of recommending a cable with a counterfeit chip, but "not a genuine Baofeng" is not what you're making it to be. My first HT was a Baofeng BF-F8, and I still have a few.  But it's the lowest tier starter radio on the market.  They transmit spurs all over the bands and are basically disposable radios.  My first one would not recognize the programming cable.  I took the radio apart and determined it was not a continuity problem with the connectors, so it got smashed with a hammer.  The next BF-F8 worked fine with the cable and still does.  The chip in that cable is a counterfeit, but it works just fine to this day.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Growing pains. Things happen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just wait...

Me 2 months ago: I could buy a couple of cheap radios to have around for that price

Me now:
Completed tech license studying for general.

Additional items bought for my "Cheap radios":
Extended batteries, 1 mag mount antenna, programming cable, 3 different microphones, 3 different antennas, and a extra charging base.

Other radio items purchased so far:
Icom 2350h dual band radio for my house, tram car antenna, 30a power supply for the house, digital voltage gage, coaxial grounding union, and a decent headset with microphone for using with Echolink.

Basic things that I still need to purchase soon:
A mobile radio for my vehicle, Tram base antenna for the roof, coaxial cable for that antenna.

Hold on to your wallet OP!
Shit happens quickly and I am just messing around in the 2m and 70cm bands.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#18]
OTOH, you could rub a few brain cells together, save a bunch of bucks, and program it manually. LINK

If you prefer a video, that's available too. Video

It's not rocket surgery, you know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I also bought the Baofeng brand cable and had problems. Eventually found the right driver, but took 2 hours to get it working with windows 10. Eventually purchased a red cable from Mirkit which works flawlessly.

You may want to consider a better antenna. Also check online for repeater frequencies near you, and just type in the numbers using VFO. You don’t even need the cable for that.

Programming with chirp helps with putting multiple channels in at one time, or cloning another radio.

If you are really remote, you are probably going to need more watts and a good antenna for anyone to hear you once you are licensed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...If you are really remote, you are probably going to need more watts and a good antenna for anyone to hear you once you are licensed.
View Quote

The antenna will do far more good than a power increase, unless it's a large one. Quadrupling power only nets you about one S-unit at the receive end.

If you're the DIY type, there's plenty of easy-to-make antenna plans on the Internet. All you have to do is look.
2 Meter ground plane
"Copper Cactus" J-poles
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just wait...

Me 2 months ago: I could buy a couple of cheap radios to have around for that price

Me now:
Completed tech license studying for general.

Additional items bought for my "Cheap radios":
Extended batteries, 1 mag mount antenna, programming cable, 3 different microphones, 3 different antennas, and a extra charging base.

Other radio items purchased so far:
Icom 2350h dual band radio for my house, tram car antenna, 30a power supply for the house, digital voltage gage, coaxial grounding union, and a decent headset with microphone for using with Echolink.

Basic things that I still need to purchase soon:
A mobile radio for my vehicle, Tram base antenna for the roof, coaxial cable for that antenna.

Hold on to your wallet OP!
Shit happens quickly and I am just messing around in the 2m and 70cm bands.

View Quote

I don't think that I'll go down the rabbit hole on this one, but I guess you don't know until you're into it. A missing cable already started me a bit.

If those don't work, I'll try it manually.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you're the DIY type, there's plenty of easy-to-make antenna plans on the Internet. All you have to do is look.
2 Meter ground plane
"Copper Cactus" J-poles
View Quote

That looks easy enough to do. I'll keep that in mind too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought one of these and it worked great. Now I have a Diamond base antenna. I still have this one thought and it will work great for a portable or backup.
https://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/2-meter-break-a-way-j-pole-antenna/

A big part of this hobby is building and experimenting but for the price of the antenna above it's hard to beat. You could buy one so you'll be ready to go. The next one you can build and have fun with. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OTOH, you could rub a few brain cells together, save a bunch of bucks, and program it manually. LINK

If you prefer a video, that's available too. Video

It's not rocket surgery, you know.
View Quote

It's true, they're not hard to program at all once you master the menu.  I've never used chirp.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's true, they're not hard to program at all once you master the menu.  I've never used chirp.
View Quote

Same here. If you need to program a bunch of channels chirp would be handy. But if you just want to check the local repeaters and listen to the sheriff manual programming isn't that bad.
AND you will know how to do it if you are on the road in a different area and want to add some frequencies.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a baofeng just for giggles and to take camping.  I could never get chirp to work..jacked up my laptop with downloads and drivers.  Ended up just programming it by hand.  I dont think I've ever talked to anyone on it.  As little as I use HTs , I use my Yaesus 99% of the time.  And I hardly use them.  The UV5 is good for FM broadcast.  We sit around the fire and listen to college football on it.  And I have used the flashlight.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#27]
The Baofeng cable arrived today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I installed Chirp on my PC, then followed all of the instructions, but all it does is give me an error. I followed the instructions regarding that (hold plug into radio, wet the plugs before inserting), but still only get this;

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Check that you assigned Chirp the correct com port.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#29]
It selected Com1. Is that correct?

Edit - That's the only choice that comes up in the dropdown.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Push that cable in all the way.  It takes quite a bit of force to seat it at first.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Push that cable in all the way.  It takes quite a bit of force to seat it at first.
View Quote

This got me the first time.

I believe the lights on the USB end should flash if it is fully connected.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I just tried again, and held it in as tight as I could, and got the same error message. The lights on the USB end only flashed on when I first plugged it in to port, not when I plugged it in to the radio. Is there maybe some special way to do the three clicks, like really fast or really slow? I'm guessing/hoping that it's a simple thing that I'm doing wrong.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Have you tried another USB port yet? Watch to see if it installs a new copy of the driver and then says it's ready.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes; I've tried two ports, and the results were the same.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#35]
It probably makes no difference, but I always have the radio turned off when I plug it in. I then turn it on and start CHIRP.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's what I've been doing;

Open Chirp
Click Radio
Click Download From Radio
Click OK
Connect cable to USB port
Connect cable to radio
Turn radio on
Hold MONI key in, and press PTT three times
Release both keys, and click OK
Cloning window starts, then disappears and I get the error message
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#37]
When the cable is plugged in, check Device Manager - Ports (COM & LPT) to see if the cable is registering. Click on the entry for the com port it's on and check to see of the FTDI driver installed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Hmmm, I just noticed that you open Chirp after the radio is on. BRB

Edit - Nope, same.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When the cable is plugged in, check Device Manager - Ports (COM & LPT) to see if the cable is registering. Click on the entry for the com port it's on and check to see of the FTDI driver installed.
View Quote

When following the instruction sheet, and the FAQ on Miklor.com, it said to check that, and if it wasn't installed properly there'd be a yellow exclamation notice there. It looked fine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I do it a bit differently:

Run CHIRP
Plug cable into computer
Plug cable into radio that's turned off
Turn the radio on, volume about mid-way
Click on download from radio
Choose the correct com port

When I've made the necessary changes, upload to radio
Shut off radio, disconnect
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#42]
And you opened up the COM1 entry and checked the driver (FTDI)?

Edit due to stupid typing
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Uhhh... this?

Attachment Attached File

(I don't know if I needed to cover up those numbers).
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#44]
That was with the cable plugged in?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes, still plugged in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Something's a little fucky.  Unplug the cable and look at the com port entry in Device Manager.  The entry should disappear.  When you plug the cable in, it should say "USB Serial Port (COM1)"
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Nope. It looks the same either way.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I assume that no drivers came with the cable, and there is no indication that you need to download any?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I just read your instruction sheet - it gives a link to download a driver.   I think you need to try that because your cable did not automatically install the driver.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Checking...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top