User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/30/2022 3:23:16 PM EDT
Details and log sheets HERE
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
This was fairly fun last year, hoping to go for the sweep this year!
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll try it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
That was fun. I got a sweep last year. Have to try and do it again this year
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I got 8 last year. There were some huge pileups toward the end, and it got tough to get through.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
They gave New York K2A?  

I wonder if that was decided before the Bruen decision.  Probably just a coincidence, but cool nevertheless.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They gave New York K2A?  

I wonder if that was decided before the Bruen decision.  Probably just a coincidence, but cool nevertheless.
View Quote
Yeah, intentional or not it's still pretty cool. They did the Tall Ships last year. Really cool QSO cards.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
It's been years since I made a contact in that.  Last time I was driving down to NJ, and was able to make one with a TS-480SAT running thru an LDG tuner and Wilson 5000.  Might have been on 20m.  Yea, RF was barely dribbling out of the antenna, but I did it.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#8]
A big fan of this event, I played enthusiastically for many years. But starting about three or four years ago it has clearly become bigger than the organizers and volunteers can handle. This is most noticeable by the poor band selection, poor pile-up operating techniques, and, worst of all, poor attendance by certain states. This latter point makes it much more difficult to get a "clean sweep".

Last year I sulked and refused to play for the first time since the inception of the event. This morning, with a 1000W upgrade since two years ago, but no other station improvements, I decided to give it a go. I also decided to use spotting since at this point there's pretty much no pride involved in playing.

Sure enough, it's already a shit show. Massive pile-ups on all available stations. Nobody working the numbers, some having lengthy conversations.

And it's already clear who the problem states are going to be:

A, F, G, J, K, L and WM3PEN are all on the air, Johnny on the spot, many on multiple bands/modes. With my new power upgrade I was able to shoulder my way in on all of them.

B, C, D, E, H, I & M are going to be the problem children this year. No sign of them at all on phone. Maybe they are working other modes, but I'm selfishly only interested in HF phone.

And every year there are 1 or 2 states that will be the severe problem children, the ones people will kill for on the last day. Who that's going to be this year still remains to be seen.

Here's a DXSummit.fi URL you can adjust to taste to filter out/in what you want to spot (not hot linked on purpose):

http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=GB13COL,TM13COL,K2A,K2B,K2C,K2D,K2E,K2F,K2G,K2H,K2I,K2J,K2K,K2L,K2M,WM3PEN

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#9]
It's radio and fun...the event's poor management should have nothing to do with the chase.

Get on the air regardless.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A big fan of this event, I played enthusiastically for many years. But starting about three or four years ago it has clearly become bigger than the organizers and volunteers can handle. This is most noticeable by the poor band selection, poor pile-up operating techniques, and, worst of all, poor attendance by certain states. This latter point makes it much more difficult to get a "clean sweep".

Last year I sulked and refused to play for the first time since the inception of the event. This morning, with a 1000W upgrade since two years ago, but no other station improvements, I decided to give it a go. I also decided to use spotting since at this point there's pretty much no pride involved in playing.

Sure enough, it's already a shit show. Massive pile-ups on all available stations. Nobody working the numbers, some having lengthy conversations.

And it's already clear who the problem states are going to be:

A, F, G, J, K, L and WM3PEN are all on the air, Johnny on the spot, many on multiple bands/modes. With my new power upgrade I was able to shoulder my way in on all of them.

B, C, D, E, H, I & M are going to be the problem children this year. No sign of them at all on phone. Maybe they are working other modes, but I'm selfishly only interested in HF phone.

And every year there are 1 or 2 states that will be the severe problem children, the ones people will kill for on the last day. Who that's going to be this year still remains to be seen.

Here's a DXSummit.fi URL you can adjust to taste to filter out/in what you want to spot (not hot linked on purpose):

http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=GB13COL,TM13COL,K2A,K2B,K2C,K2D,K2E,K2F,K2G,K2H,K2I,K2J,K2K,K2L,K2M,WM3PEN

View Quote

I did pretty well at the beginning last year, but toward the end the pile ups were so massive I didn't stand a chance. If I get some spinning the dial, great, if not, that's ok too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, if you don't get it done in the first couple or three days, you are cooked without 1.5KW and a tower, at least if you want to do it on phone. If you don't care about mode then FT8 will help a lot. CW folks always do well, of course.

Looks like K2C will be this year's idiot unicorn. Not a single spot recorded for them almost three hours into it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Made the sweep last year. Trying again this year. Today my noise floor is FUBAR though. Made a FT8 contact and I’ll try for more tonight.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I've gotten the sweep except for the Brit bonus station (don't really care about it) using CW for many years.  Much easier to work the stations on CW than SSB.  The event kinda snuck up on me this year (seems like we just did it not too long ago) so I guess I'll start this evening.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like K2C has been doing CW.  I've got five stations on 40m FT8.  Not hearing them well or at all on USB.  Those on 20m are going right past me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Our club is running K2L. Maybe I'll talk to some of you during the event.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might give us a heads up when you're on CW.  

I worked K2A,C, I, K, M and WM3PEN on 20m CW over the last two hours.  Time for a break.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just got that station a few minutes ago. I don't think it was you, though. I did finish with a God Bless America and Let's Go Brandon and the guy laughed...
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just got that station a few minutes ago. I don't think it was you, though. I did finish with a God Bless America and Let's Go Brandon and the guy laughed...
View Quote

LOL.
It must have been Tim. I'll probably be there later tonight.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]
All I'm missing is the idiot unicorn, K2C, as predicted

K2C was first spotted on phone at 1612UTC (1212EDT), spent all day on 17 and 20M shooting over the top of my head, and was last spotted on phone at 2003UTC, (1603EDT) i.e. off the air for the last 2.5 hours

1500W is a HUGE difference compared to my last go around at this with 500W. This is into the exact same antenna (three element dipole/doublet on 10-60; modified half square on 40M).

eta: clarified that it was phone spots only I'm looking at. They might have been on other modes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

K2C was first spotted on phone at 1612UTC (1212EDT), spent all day on 17 and 20M shooting over the top of my head, and was last spotted on phone at 2003UTC, (1603EDT) i.e. off the air for the last 2.5 hours

1500W is a HUGE difference compared to my last go around at this with 500W. This is into the exact same antenna (three element dipole/doublet on 10-60; modified half square on 40M).

eta: clarified that it was phone spots only I'm looking at. They might have been on other modes.
View Quote

Dude, relax. It's a hobby.  Not everyone is an expert operator. There is ALWAYS room to learn.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's currently on 7.226 taking calls by the region number.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I worked the last "2" period. Not enough mojo to bust that pile up, but I tried! . Worse than any DX pile up! I've settled in for some TV and hope that enough people get tired that I can make it through later--if he's still on the air.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, I worked the last "2" period. Not enough mojo to bust that pile up, but I tried! . Worse than any DX pile up! I've settled in for some TV and hope that enough people get tired that I can make it through later--if he's still on the air.
View Quote

The good news is that this is only the first day of the event and it runs through the 7th.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Gonna get in there in a bit and try to get some of them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm going to try for a clean sweep again.  The pile ups are are already bad.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The good news is that this is only the first day of the event and it runs through the 7th.
View Quote
The pile-up's for the unicorn stations get worse as the event wears on, so that's not always a plus.

The guy on K2C tonight was very good. Not crushing it, not like a contest, but good. I got through on his second time around calling for 2's. It wasn't pretty, but I did it.

Perhaps I was a little overly competitive this year. I'm blaming it on the new amp and shameless use of spotting

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#28]

You did a clean sweep day 1 and were complaining?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe it’s me but seems a lot easier than last year. I need 4 more to sweep after today.

K2C was every good but the pileup was worse than all other signs. Jeepers! I’m going to try to get in another day….
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You did a clean sweep day 1 and were complaining?
View Quote

Mea culpa!

Propagation might be a bit better this year.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mea culpa!

Propagation might be a bit better this year.

View Quote
I'm going back and forth between them now and can't hear much of anything besides K2A fading in and out. But we are socked in with thunderstorms around us though too.

I did a sweet last year on phone. I may try to do nothing but digital this year.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I need K2D, K2I and K2M for a complete sweep of all 16 on phone and
K2B, K2C and TM13COL for a complete sweep of all 16 on digital.

Guess I have a complete sweep all mode at this point.

Going to try and get a sweep on CW
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m slowly banging it out on FT8
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, was going to do QRP. but...

...so cranked 'er to 50 Watts and knocked off 8 colonies in 50 minutes on 40 and 20.
A couple had pileups going, but were working split, so it only took a few minutes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow, the bands are dogshit. Glad I got this done yesterday!

Looks like we had a burst come through last night that took down the ionosphere....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Our local K2A is supposed to be on 40m now.  He started around 0900 EST.   Might be about ready for a break I bet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Our local K2A is supposed to be on 40m now.  He started around 0900 EST.   Might be about ready for a break I bet.
View Quote

He was just spotted on 21335.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He was just spotted on 21335.
View Quote

May not be him, there are about 5 using the call sign a la club call sign on field day.

I looked but didn’t see him on 40 phone, he may be doing CW 40.   No way to tell who is who unless you know their voice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I finally got a phone contact.  K2G on 17m, kind of surprised since 17m isn't all that good on my antenna.  No pileup so that certainly helped.  He's actually sounding kind of lonely.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I just need one more of the bonus stations to have everything.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm just missing K2F and the Euro bonus stations.  I haven't heard any of them on CW.  Not even spotted.  Prop into Europe from TX today seems pretty bleak.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I have all of the US stations, I'm not hearing the Europe stations at all.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I asked the guys yesterday. You talked to Darcy. They remembered your comment and laughed at it.

BTW, I went there yesterday. Stayed until 1 AM but never got to operate either station. I spent my time teaching the guys how to use filters and other features on the radios. Also, spent some time repairing 2 CW key paddles that were out of whack.
I got access to the scheduling spreadsheet for the K2L and can operate from home with that call now. Right now. I'll probably try CW later on. Still have to figure out the logging procedure.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I asked the guys yesterday. You talked to Darcy. They remembered your comment and laughed at it.

BTW, I went there yesterday. Stayed until 1 AM but never got to operate either station. I spent my time teaching the guys how to use filters and other features on the radios. Also, spent some time repairing 2 CW key paddles that were out of whack.
I got access to the scheduling spreadsheet for the K2L and can operate from home with that call now. Right now. I'll probably try CW later on. Still have to figure out the logging procedure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool! I like injecting a little fun if I can.

Sounds like you helped them to become better operators.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Down to B, C, E and F plus the British and French bonus is all I have left.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Making Cw contacts on 10 meters right now

I must say that the new FTDX101MP is far superior in CW mode, to anything I've used before. Even at maximum noise reduction the signal sounds crystal clear. My IC7610 had some ringing at high NR settings.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally got 'em all!
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Im on 20m CW. 14.040 Mhz. Barefoot only
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Finally got 'em all!
View Quote

Phone, CW, FT8 or mixed?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#50]
I picked up K2A on 20M rtty.   No pile up and in a clear portion of the band.  Faster than ft8.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top