Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2017 10:24:13 PM EDT
For shots inside of 100 yards, ...

Anyone have any firsthand experience with using 12-ga slugs (either rifled barrel or smooth bore) for big grizzly or brown bears?  I'd like to know if my .45-70 Gov't is the better option using 525 gr. Pile Drivers, or if the 12-ga slug is just as suitable.  Seems to me (I haven't run the math on sectional density) 1 3/8 oz. 12-ga slugs at 1,500 fps oughta work well on both brown bear shoulders.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I just finished reading Larry Kaniut’s second book on grizzly attacks, titled “More Grizzly Bear Tales”.  Of the two usages of 12-gauges he mentions, one was a point-blank 00-Buckshot in the face, from about 9 feet away, which killed the grizzly instantly – all the pellets went into the same hole, punching a quarter-sized hole into its head, right next to one eye.  The other was a 1-oz slug, fired broadside on a running animal, that went through the lungs, where the bear still ran for another 50 feet before dropping over dead.  That shot punched a 50-cent piece sized hole into the animal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Brenneke makes a 1.5 oz,  3-in Magnum, 1,600 fps MV slug called the "Magnum Crush." I like that idea.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#3]
some of the vids on slugs in gel are pretty underwhelming.  45/70 hardcast ftw.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By goldeyeslayer:
some of the vids on slugs in gel are pretty underwhelming.  45/70 hardcast ftw.
View Quote
Yes, OP if you use slugs get a hardened one like Brennekke Black Magic Magnum if you have smoothbore. You dont want a soft slug that does 16in in gel.

Also its not like 45-70 430gr hardcast wont do the job well.

Id use the gun you like the most.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Brenneke slugs is what AK fish and game use, that's always been good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Slugs. Lead shot is a No No. When I guided waterfowl hunters on the Alaska peninsula I carried slugs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're using it for defense against bears then you either one might work fine.  

If you're a Non Alaskan and are planning to hunt Bear that means you'll need a guide.  If that's the case the guide may have minimum caliber requirements.  If this is the case I would talk with the Guide and find out what they want you using.  They may tell you need to go a different route.  

Personally if I only had those two to choose from it would be the 45-70 with a good hard cast load.  

Since those aren't my only choices I would choose neither and go with my 375 Ruger or a 338Win Mag.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I am sure a really hard slug would work well.  You don't need any expansion since they are making a .72 caliber hole in and out.  Brenneke's or federal makes a trueball load that is made for deep penetration.  Problem is most guns won't shoot those loads that accurately to work past 75 yards or so.  That would really limit your shots for hunting.  4570 should work to 150 yards or so.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dodpilot:
Brenneke makes a 1.5 oz,  3-in Magnum, 1,600 fps MV slug called the "Magnum Crush." I like that idea.
View Quote
These are what I use in my bear gun.  666 grain hard cast .70 caliber wadcutter.

If you only have a smoothbores, then black magic is what you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top