Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2022 11:13:38 PM EDT
(tr)USDX is a QRP rig, basically a HF HT.

I saw a cool video from David:

50€ (tr)uSDX ultimate 5W German 5-15V SSB CW transceiver unboxing, build and test DL1DN

so I decided to buy one and assemble it. A kit approved by the designer was $100ish shipped from China, plus a bribe to a buddy with 3D printer to make the case.

Built it on my breaks at work (benefit of working in an electronics manufacturer), need to test and tune it and put it together when my homie finishes the printing.

Anyone here have one yet?

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks neat.  Is it through-hole or SMD?  I'm not equipped for SMD soldering, but I do well with through-hole kits.

After watching the video it looks like all the SMD stuff is already on the board. Looks like a fun project.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct, it is all through hole. There's a little SMT removal you have to do and soldering a wire to a SMT pad but it was doable. Took me a week's worth of lunch breaks to do it all, including winding the toroids.

I will probably bring it back to work next week for the testing and calibration process, since I have power supplies etc there. I will use the Nano VNA for tuning it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If you build the version with the "classic" LPF setup, will it let you select and run any amateur HF band? Or does it restrict it to just the LPFs listed? Because with the 10 and 15MHz LPFs that should be sufficient for filtering on the 12 and 17M bands, and the 40MHz LPF should be adequate for 60MHz.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks nice - but just ordered a bunch of kits from QRP Labs.

Have about 10 kits to build once they arrive.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
https://qrp-labs.com/qcxp.html

Single band CW kit.

Many nice value priced kits on the site.

Nice kit for digital Ops.
https://qrp-labs.com/qdx.html
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3IjAeIPwJk

so I decided to buy one and assemble it. A kit approved by the designer was $100ish shipped from China, plus a bribe to a buddy with 3D printer to make the case.

Built it on my breaks at work (benefit of working in an electronics manufacturer), need to test and tune it and put it together when my homie finishes the printing.

View Quote

It's built, tuned and have monitored convo's on 20, 40, and 80.  Have not yet made contact yet, but that will be the next step as well as getting it up and running on digital with my PI.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you build the version with the "classic" LPF setup, will it let you select and run any amateur HF band? Or does it restrict it to just the LPFs listed? Because with the 10 and 15MHz LPFs that should be sufficient for filtering on the 12 and 17M bands, and the 40MHz LPF should be adequate for 60MHz.
View Quote

I think all the "version" are limited to specific bands.  The one that I have does 20, 30, 40, 60, and 80.  There is talk about doing other builds/bands, but I think they still need software to make that work.

See here:

https://forum.dl2man.de/viewtopic.php?t=217

From his web site....

There has been quite a demand for alternative Band setups and the use of higher bands.

We now offering alternate Band Setups for experimental use:

The assembly manual now describes possible low-pass filter values for a high-band configuration that supports 20m and higher, and a classic-band configuration that supports all bands from 80 to 10m without WARC bands.

The choosen configuration should be selected in menu item 8.7 "LPF Config" which can take the values LO, HI, and Classic:

Code: Select all

Band-Slot Assignment                        K1K2K3K4K5
Lo (current Standard)                        20m30m40m60m80m
Hi (Only Hi Bands)                              10m12m15m17m20m
Classic (Classical Bands w/o WARC)        10m15m20m40m80m

Please check updated Bottom of the Assembly Page for Details and Values:
https://dl2man.de/2-trusdx-assembly/
You also need the latest R2.00h firmware here: https://dl2man.de/3b-trusdx-firmware/
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think all the "version" are limited to specific bands.  The one that I have does 20, 30, 40, 60, and 80.  There is talk about doing other builds/bands, but I think they still need software to make that work.
View Quote
I had already read all that you recommend before asking my question.

Let me ask it another way: will the unit you have, with the software that is in it, irrespective of the actual LPF filters installed, allow you to tune it to 18.140MHz and receive and transmit? Or are you completely locked out of 17M by the software?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Slarti!

I was going to post all that.

I wound mine for the original bands, I'm mostly a 20m and 40m guy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Let me ask it another way: will the unit you have, with the software that is in it, irrespective of the actual LPF filters installed, allow you to tune it to 18.140MHz and receive and transmit? Or are you completely locked out of 17M by the software?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know, I have not tried to tx outside of the alloted bands.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks Slarti!

View Quote

Yea, it's a fun little radio.  I was surprised at how much it was picking up on 40 and 20.  I still have to make a voice contact with it.  I'll be setting it up for digital in the next few days.

Winding the torrids and then tuning them was "fun"....hahaha.....Did you say that you went through the tuning process  with the VNA?  Mine was really pretty close.  There was some monkeying around but in the end  I didn't need to remove or add any windings.

Did you get one that came with the case?  I just got the Kit builds so no case included.  The local library printed a case for me....about $13.00 bucks, but they didn't do real well on the raised printing and kept the color the same....
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would you mind trying, please?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, i"m not going to risk blowing something up in the radio.  I'd suggest that you post the question in the forum that I linked above.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sorry, i"m not going to risk blowing something up in the radio.  I'd suggest that you post the question in the forum that I linked above.
View Quote

You can't damage the radio. If you looked at the design while you were putting it together you would know this
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yea, it's a fun little radio.  I was surprised at how much it was picking up on 40 and 20.  I still have to make a voice contact with it.  I'll be setting it up for digital in the next few days.

Winding the torrids and then tuning them was "fun"....hahaha.....Did you say that you went through the tuning process  with the VNA?  Mine was really pretty close.  There was some monkeying around but in the end  I didn't need to remove or add any windings.

Did you get one that came with the case?  I just got the Kit builds so no case included.  The local library printed a case for me....about $13.00 bucks, but they didn't do real well on the raised printing and kept the color the same....
View Quote

Do you move the wraps on the toroid to "fine tune"?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can't damage the radio. If you looked at the design while you were putting it together you would know this
View Quote

You could wind one up for 17 easy, but the issue is software control, right?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.. for tuning by moving the wraps closer together or further apart.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@lorazepam

That is my understanding based on what I've read.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks! That is what I figured on both counts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well....according to D2LMANN, in the video linked below, you CAN damage the radio if it's not tuned correctly with the torrids for each specific band....so, I guess it is possible to damage the radio.  I think he says something about burning out the Fetts.  Listen to him at timestamp 11:00.

(tr)uSDX - Tuning the RF Section for Output Power and Efficiency

My suggestion still stands.  I think you'd be much better off just asking your question in the forum that he runs.

Hope you find the info you're looking for.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3IjAeIPwJk

View Quote

@flynbenny first digital test with (TR)uSDX...
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Slarti!

I got the kit also, a coworker is printing the case for me. I have been too busy with work to get a chance to tune it yet. Some good contacts on digital!
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one getting delivered tomorrow or Saturday. Gabe up on my QDX and ordered a built one of these.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have one getting delivered tomorrow or Saturday. Gabe up on my QDX and ordered a built one of these.
View Quote

@BLKVooDoo

Nice!
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Was delivered today. Made 2 contacts, one to VA the other was IN. Used my permanent EFHW.

The onboard speaker sucks. Need to pickup an external powered speaker. A non powered computer mic would also be beneficial.

Awesome little radio.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top