BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually am extremely familiar with the .243. I was just curious as to why the poster chose it.

In fact I just had a Tikka T3 in .243 rebarreled with a Lilja tube to 6mm Rem. The 6mm Rem is one of my all time favorites.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

hey lost_river, where abouts did you take those pictures, that is some beautiful country
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey lost_river, where abouts did you take those pictures, that is some beautiful country

This  , nice 650 to .

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm currently in the process of hacking the barrel of a 700 VS .243 Win to 22" for use as an all around varmint, small and medium game, informal target and competition rifle.  The glass will be Leupold or Nightforce.  It may get rebarreled depending on how it shoots; time will tell.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Man, that's a nice collection! I shot a 96/11 this weekend. Shoots like a dream, but it's a mile long. I love opening up those neat packages of GP-11. Nobody does it like the Swiss, nobody!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Central and southern Idaho...

Just don't tell anybody!  

The place has filled up with refugees from other states!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Two of mine:

Kimber 84M in .308.

marlin 336 in .30-30

Seeing that picture of the #4 Mk 2 (that is a BEAUTIFUL ONE) makes me wish I had never sold mine...

- AG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are a few pics from yesterday in the high country. Lever guns are at a disadvantage here for the most part. My lightweight little Tikka is perfect for this terrain.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#12]

pipe insulation in the bottoms of the rig lets ya carry 2 strippers per pouch.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/TactFR82.jpg

Nice!
What type of bandoleer is that?
China grenade?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the AR is a fine GP rifle.  With some of the heavier hunting bullets, it is a decent big game rifle at reasonable ranges.  Accuracy is good enough that you can take head shots on small game.  A good AR can shoot out to 600 yards, no problem.  You have the advantage of quick reloads and high capacity.

If you insist on your GP rifle not being an automatic, take off the gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

To me, that seems more practical than a lever gun!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Though I do like my little 30-30.

Couple new pics of the 16" Marlin 336.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#18]
My first centerfire hunting rifle i bought was a .303.  Brother has it now.

I have a nice Browning A-Bolt in .308 with a Leupold 3.5-10 Vari X III on it.  Its the Hunter model bought before stainless and synthetic bacame the norm.  It has some nice walnut on it but its been scratched up a little so I usually tape it up with camo tape.   It only weighs a little under 8 lbs loaded.  I need to pick up a few of the box mags for it.

I have been caught up in the semi craze too and while I like the semi-autos, there is just something easy about carrying and shooting the A-Bolt.  I hunt with it, it points naturally with its nice palm swell pistol grip stock and has proven to be deadly accurate when I do my part.

A buddy bought the Rem 700 youth model in .243 - i don't like the scope on it (package gun) after using a Leupold for years but the little rifle just handles and shoots great.  If I didn't have the A-bolt, thats what I would probably pick up.  That or a Savage.  I have always like Savage rifles as well due to their low cost point but good shooters.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
id go for this for a basic all around everything......  be a little better in 6.8, or 7.62....... but the high cap ar mags it takes, heavy weight .223 bullets, and fast to shoot, it would be a good ar replacement
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
a good all around "Non Auto" rifle would be a Lever gun in .357 mag. shoots 38s and brings deer down out to 150 yds no prob. as a man stopper within that range would be good to go. (The .357 mag 124 gr Semi Jacketed Hollowpoint) has the best "one shot stop" record on people of all handgun ammo.

If you're gonna carry a rifle, why not carry it in a rifle caliber?

Because the .357 in a carbine is on par with the 30-30 and burns about half the powder. I get just under 2000 fps with a 176ish grain cast bullet from the 16.25" barreled 1894CP(discontinued) below. I'm pretty sure I can push that up a little with more experimentation. Winchester claims that the 170 grain power point gets 2200 fps, but with an unspecified barrel length(it's probably a 22 or 24 inch barrel). The old rule of thumb was 50 fps velocity loss per inch of barrel, so the 30-30 would be at about 1900 fps from a 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a good all around "Non Auto" rifle would be a Lever gun in .357 mag. shoots 38s and brings deer down out to 150 yds no prob. as a man stopper within that range would be good to go. (The .357 mag 124 gr Semi Jacketed Hollowpoint) has the best "one shot stop" record on people of all handgun ammo.

I've been thinking about that myself.  It may be the perfect survival gun paired with a .38/.357 revolver.  .38 brass can be loaded almost indefinitely using even the most primitive methods and supplies.

How about the 45 colt? More bang for your buck been around longer and people have been casting and reloading it for over 100 years.

For all round survival, it wouldn't be bad.  If you only had access to a single caliber.  We were discussing this over in the survival wheelgun thread.  Personally, I have brass, bullet molds, dies, and powder for reloading .45lc, and a .45 lever gun is on my "to get" list, but not so much for SHTF use.  Too many other calibers that do the same thing better in a long gun.  

I'm with the others who think that, if you scrub autos from the list, a lever action .30-30 carbine is hard to beat for speed, weight, handiness, and reasonable punch.  I prefer the pistol grips myself, my wrist doesn't like the straight stocks much.

I really like the .45 Colt, but in all honesty, it's not going to be a good choice for SHTF. Brass will be hard to find, and it uses roughly twice the lead and powder of a .357(unless you cast some super light weenie bullet, I don't). In a carbine, I think it would probably be at least on par with standard pressure 45/70 loads, and possibly exceed them slightly. Note: I'm talking about using the .45 Colt in a strong gun and loading for it as such. That said, the .45 Colt isn't a slouch even with the weenie loads that SAAMI hobbled it with.

And, as I also pointed out in a previous post, the .357 mag IS on par with a 30-30 in a carbine, and uses half the powder. It won't shoot as flat, simply due to bullet shape, but it will be fine to at least 100 yards and probably even further with the right load.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice!

What type of bandoleer is that?

China grenade?

yip sks 20 rnd style. fits the 762x51nato fine...to deep  and i had plenty of pipe insul. laying around so...i took what i needed and shoved in there.

it works but aint hsld by any means.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a big lever guy, but with the open counrty, go with the bolt.  Also I would like to thank everyone for reminding me I own an FR8, but hate the metal butt plate.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I really like my lever action.  Just tonight I replaced the carrier.  I forgot what a pain it is to strip them down to clean.  That is one thing I really like about my AKs, cleaning is a breeze.  Yea I know you don't have to clean them all the time, but I am anal that way.  Too much use of the M16 I guess.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just don't tell anybody!  

The place has filled up with refugees from other states!e

There is nothing in Southern Idaho but sage brush, nope nothing at all.  No reason for anyone to come check it out.  Take my word for it, I only live minutes from the border.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have been meaning to ask. What is the tube underneath the barrel? I really like the looks of that rifle. I think I might have to add one to my collection to try it out.

What do these go for these days? I would love to have a handy sized 308 with irons to practice with.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been meaning to ask. What is the tube underneath the barrel? I really like the looks of that rifle. I think I might have to add one to my collection to try it out.

What do these go for these days? I would love to have a handy sized 308 with irons to practice with.

That confused me too.  Turns out it's a hollow tube for indexing the bayonet that will also hold a cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:42:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

depends on the AO guys up north were scoreing then at 120-150 when down here that one ran me 220$

now days your looking 300 or more.

to run it via stripper you need 8mm strippers.

yeah its a bayo,cleaning kit combo.

sights are peep style ,rotating wheel in the rear with 100 open V(combat sight) 200,300 and 400m settings.

standard mauser action.and short. just as big a my win 94 but harder hitting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

These were training rifles for the CETME so if you look you will see they replicated the CETME barrel front end only turned it upside down. The sights are the same as the CETME too.  Nice guns. they were cheap 8 to 10 years ago before people figured out they were jems. then the prices doubled and tripled.  

One thing that has my interests peeked right now are the 03A3s AIM is selling right now for $499that come with the OD stocks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I dont own an '03 but my dealer buddy has one thats been sporterized (it made me a little sick as a collector to see it) but its got a fresh heavier barrel somewhere around 18-20 inches and peep sights, for I want to say 300 something. What about something like that for the purposes  of this thread?

But aside from that the K31, enfields, and even one of those FR8's shouldnt be too bad, although I still have a few venerable M91/30 Nagants...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#31]
What you have to understand about the sporterized 03s and 98s is that we were buying the stock rifles for $40 or $50 in bulk.  They weren't anything special and were common as dirt.

Look at it thisaway, if we hadn't sporterized all those old .mil rifles, the ones you guys have today wouldn't be worth near as much
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just don't tell anybody!  

The place has filled up with refugees from other states!

*sigh*

I really wish I could move out west.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the .357 in a carbine is on par with the 30-30 and burns about half the powder. I get just under 2000 fps with a 176ish grain cast bullet from the 16.25" barreled 1894CP(discontinued) below. I'm pretty sure I can push that up a little with more experimentation. Winchester claims that the 170 grain power point gets 2200 fps, but with an unspecified barrel length(it's probably a 22 or 24 inch barrel). The old rule of thumb was 50 fps velocity loss per inch of barrel, so the 30-30 would be at about 1900 fps from a 16" barrel.

I think you missed the point a little...comparing a pistol cartridge to a poor performing rifle cartridge is not what I was meaning.  What I was meaning is that why carry a rifle sized firearm in a cartridge that will 'brings deer down out to 150' when you could have something that can be capable out to at least double that, or three times that distance.

it only makes sense to me if you're running a rifle/pistol combination in the same caliber.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Durango, I have a sporterized 03A3 with a Lyman peep sight. The one knock on it is that you have to pull the bolt so far back to chamber a round that you have to raise your head off the stock slightly to keep the bolt from hitting you in the eye. Other than that, it's good to go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#35]
My most all around rifle. Still searching for the scope i want.

But 22 mag takes every animal in the state of OK every year........

While not the "best" or "ethical" by most peoples standards it still does the trick.

Sporterized Schmidt converted to 308

Freaking awsome rifle wish i had 3 dozen at the price i got this one for

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you missed the point a little...comparing a pistol cartridge to a poor performing rifle cartridge is not what I was meaning.  What I was meaning is that why carry a rifle sized firearm in a cartridge that will 'brings deer down out to 150' when you could have something that can be capable out to at least double that, or three times that distance.

it only makes sense to me if you're running a rifle/pistol combination in the same caliber.

If I'm carrying a shit ton of other gear, that little 5-6 pound carbine is a lot more likely to go with me than an eight or nine pound bolt gun or AR. It'll also stretch my powder supply out, and is fully capable of bringing down anything the 30-30 is. Contrary to popular belief, a magnum rifle isn't necessary for the majority of any game on this continent.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What you have to understand about the sporterized 03s and 98s is that we were buying the stock rifles for $40 or $50 in bulk.  They weren't anything special and were common as dirt.

Look at it thisaway, if we hadn't sporterized all those old .mil rifles, the ones you guys have today wouldn't be worth near as much

I just cant find any cheap, sportized ones... But I should probably save my money and buy more food... I think I can oranize myrifles into about 3-4 different lines of redundancy at this point.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#38]
someone posted one of these a few months ago
and I had to get one too, it is light, quick pointing, great sights, accurate and breaks in two, 22mag is not enough for open spaces but works great in the rain forest.
taurus 72c ss

eta 22" long broken down so it fits in a pack.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top