Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
This morning was kind to me...finally got them on 40m CW, 20m SSB, and 30m RTTY.
First call on CW and RTTY.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought I got them on CW, but not in the log as of this morning.

How much longer will they be there?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought I got them on CW, but not in the log as of this morning.

How much longer will they be there?
View Quote

I think they are there for two weeks total IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Every time I have been on trying to catch them it has been a complete fuster cluck.  The idiots on there yelling "up5 or up10" cause as much or more QRM than the ones on the wrong freq.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I had them answer me earlier on 30m RTTY with "my call sign 599" three times even, but he never got my replies & moved on!

The lids came out in strength for this one!  Glad they will be there 2 weeks.

ETA: Just got them on 30m RTTY. His signal is getting weaker, but I got lucky!

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every time I have been on trying to catch them it has been a complete fuster cluck.  The idiots on there yelling "up5 or up10" cause as much or more QRM than the ones on the wrong freq.
View Quote

There has been one guy, by accent a South American, that was doing a GREAT job of being a DX policeman.

His voice is a bit high pitched, his English excellent yet staccato that punches through and he speaks quickly and very clearly.

"It is a split. He's working 5 up"

Just giving credit where it is due.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Gyprat have you heard them on 10m?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gyprat have you heard them on 10m?
View Quote

I have not tried working them on 10 meters yet. I had a guy come over this morning to look at my amp that I have for sale. They had half the 15m band, working split. I had a hard time finding anyone to talk to. I'll try to work them on several more bands today. I love my FTDX3000 but miss having dual receivers. It's very convenient to listen to both split frequencies to find out where the DX listening.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had them here on 10m all morning long nice and strong. Tried them for about an hour cumulative, but no love. They are in the lower portion of the band so, while they have been hanging out in extra only territory, now they can be nabbed by techs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've had them here on 10m all morning long nice and strong. Tried them for about an hour cumulative, but no love. They are in the lower portion of the band so, while they have been hanging out in extra only territory, now they can be nabbed by techs.
View Quote

There on 10m voice right now. Good signal here & I tried for an hour to get through, no joy. 28.375 qsx 28.380 - 28.410
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Can't hear them on dipole or beam.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah I drove up on a local ridge at lunch to see if I could hear them on 10m...nothing...though I could hear some of the lids and up-police every now and then.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah I drove up on a local ridge at lunch to see if I could hear them on 10m...nothing...though I could hear some of the lids and up-police every now and then.
View Quote

That's all I've heard all day.  

I am starting to hear them finally though.  Hopefully, they get stronger before goes dark.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am starting to hear them finally though.  Hopefully, they get stronger before goes dark.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are still pretty strong here, but just switched to calling South and Central America only.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This morning was kind to me...finally got them on 40m CW, 20m SSB, and 30m RTTY.
First call on CW and RTTY.
View Quote

Wow, nice!
I had fifteen minutes to kill this afternoon and got them on 17m cw.
Hope to get them on satellite yet as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]
K1A 1428Z 5 February2105 14.160/14.170 5x5

Notes: 30 watts. Worked split with PRC 320.

THAT one BETTER be in the log! My thumb and index finger is bleeding!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally got them on 10m SSB! Pileup seems to be slowing down a little bit. The spousal unit managed to get them on 10m as well...and she doesn't even have her general yet.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Every time I've had a good signal, they are calling for Europe or Asia, only.

The Lids and assholes are everywhere.   Holy shit, there are some stupid mother fuckers in amateur radio.  I can't believe anyone would want to make the license testing easier.  Based on what I've seen during this Dxpedition,  it needs to be harder....a lot harder.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Haha Kekoa...It is really f'n bad.  The split police and just the stupid people make it unbearable.  

I haven't heard them all day until about 30 mins ago and everytime I hear him its always accompanied by "PAPA YANKEE....".
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Lids and assholes are everywhere.   Holy shit, there are some stupid mother fuckers in amateur radio.  I can't believe anyone would want to make the license testing easier.  Based on what I've seen during this Dxpedition,  it needs to be harder....a lot harder.
View Quote

What do you expect?

The place is #2 ONLY to North Korea.

Buck fever!

There are guys that have been working DX for 40 years that don't have this one and it only takes a few to turn the whole thing into a ratfuck.

FWIW When I'd get into a pile up and hear someone shouting their call repeatedly like a little spoiled brat wanting ice cream I'd look it up on QRZ. I did this over a period of about a year. XY2Z...XY2Z...XY2Z...XY2Z...XY2Z ad nauseum.

Guess what? The bulk of them were guys that have been hams for YEARS and the bulk of THEM were licensed back in the days of the code requirement.

A LARGE number of them were superstation owners, with the 75' high Yagi and 1.5 kw (that they'd admit to)

I'm not saying the old timers are jerks, I'm just saying that there are an awful lot of jerks that have been on the air for quite a while.

I understand how you feel, but making the license a lot harder really isn't going to change the way it is.

It's not the class of the license, it's the class of the operator.

It's the same anywhere you go. Join (for example) a hot rod club and you'll find guys with machines they lovingly built by hand and are modestly proud of them and you'll find guys that had theirs built for them by some big name hot rod shop and have to listen to them brag all day long.

When the meeting is over which one are you going to offer to buy a beer for?

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What do you expect?
View Quote

I expect people to know how to set up their radio to work split.  I don't expect to hear people INTENTIONALLY jamming the DX station.

I understand everyone wants to work K1N, and that's OK.  I don't mind the big pileups.  If I manage to work them, great.  If I don't, that's life.  But I don't like incompetence (dozens of stations calling on the wrong frequency), and I don't like assholes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I expect people to know how to set up their radio to work split.  I don't expect to hear people INTENTIONALLY jamming the DX station.

I understand everyone wants to work K1N, and that's OK.  I don't mind the big pileups.  If I manage to work them, great.  If I don't, that's life.  But I don't like incompetence (dozens of stations calling on the wrong frequency), and I don't like assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you expect?

I also expect people to know how to work a split. I AM forgiving of a guy that makes an occasional mistake. Asking 100% compliance is a bit much, though. Still, a ham SHOULD be able to work a split. That's not too much to ask for.

I also agree with you 100% that DQRM (Deliberate QRM) is bullshit and people ought to get hung for that. I have sent in 2 reports through their DQRM reporting system. (One was bagpipes. That's a new one for me.)

The people that try and maliciously try and ruin things for other people ought to be dragged behind a an Indy racer for the full 500 miles.

Incidentally when I get some time I plan on giving some hands on to arfcommers on working splits. I have some good time off coming and I'll make it a point to do this.

ETA  Earlier this afternoon 3B8HC came up on the cluster on 18.155. I tuned him in AND BECAUSE OF THE OTHERS that did not know how to work a split, I listened and I thought I was in the pile-up and joined the fray.

Someone said they were working 5 up so I stopped instantly.

Bona fide mistake. I made it, I'm responsible but it sure was an easy one to make when you consider the circumstances. Kind of like 5 or 6 guys looking up in the air. You at least take a peek skyward.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Finally got them on 10m SSB! Pileup seems to be slowing down a little bit. The spousal unit managed to get them on 10m as well...and she doesn't even have her general yet.
View Quote

Congrats to you and the Mrs!  I just finally got through on 10.  Couldn't seem to bust the piles so I picked an open spot and he found me.

ETA:  Now waiting for their ClubLog to get cleaned up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Go listen to 12m CW right now.  They are calling for Asia only,  but there is a 20Khz wide pileup of Lids calling from NA, Europe, and everywhere else.

Do those idiots really think that K1N is going to answer a non-Asian station?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I worked them on 10m phone about 3 hours ago and again on 12m CW about a half hour ago.

Timing and finding their RX frequency is everything for a little gun like me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#26]

I just worked KP2A/AG2J on my second band for him (he's on 7.020.99 and listening at 7.022.438)

And some LID, who clearly thought he was being clever kept coming in right on the legit station and claiming he was an imposter trying to be K1N.

KP2A/AG2J was giving his call every 5th QSO or so.  And here's this self-appointed bandwidth cop telling everyone to listen...ummm...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Go listen to 12m CW right now.  They are calling for Asia only,  but there is a 20Khz wide pileup of Lids calling from NA, Europe, and everywhere else.

Do those idiots really think that K1N is going to answer a non-Asian station?
View Quote

Maybe they assumed he was calling stations located in between China Town SF and Asia Town Houston?  
Some people should not have a license.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe they assumed he was calling stations located in between China Town SF and Asia Town Houston?  
View Quote

Laugh, you bastards but I heard a guy CQing Asia and I shot back with "I'm running portable outside of a Chinese restaurant in Pittsburgh, does that count?"

"Close enough," came the reply. Then we worked each other and it turned into a pretty easygoing ragchew. He was a fellow smartass like me.

ETA then there was the time an Indian (dot) asked me if I liked Indian food.

I said, "Sure. I eat the hot dogs at the local 7-11 all the time."

He said something and penalty markers got thrown for that one.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Laugh, you bastards but I heard a guy CQing Asia and I shot back with "I'm running portable outside of a Chinese restaurant in Pittsburgh, does that count?"

"Close enough," came the reply. Then we worked each other and it turned into a pretty easygoing ragchew. He was a fellow smartass like me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had someone ask me if people eat hot dogs in Russia (since I was born there). I said, with a straight face and heavy accent, - NO! Russians don't eat that part of the dog!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I worked them on 10m phone about 3 hours ago and again on 12m CW about a half hour ago.

View Quote

Yeah. It's a different ball game for little guys like us.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking about bringing my FT-1000 mk5 back to the new shack. It's been sitting in my old shack at the house. Having dual receivers helps tremendously when hunting for a DX RX frequency. I can listen to both receivers at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about bringing my FT-1000 mk5 back to the new shack. It's been sitting in my old shack at the house. Having dual receivers helps tremendously when hunting for a DX RX frequency. I can listen to both receivers at the same time.
View Quote

That would drive me nuts, but I can see where that would be a real help.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what you mean, I am just running a TS-590 and have only found them once, on 10 meters and it was a charlie foxtrot. I am trying to find them on RTTY but I cant ad I am not good enough with CW to try that mode (I cant receive fast enough yet)
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#34]
tried on 30m for about 40mins.

what a LIDFEST

FUCKING IDIOTS

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#35]
ClubLog refresh in progress and partially complete - please stand by.

ETA:  Here's a screenshot of the partial.  They have my latest contact this evening on 10M, but not my 30 or 40 that were on there before.  When I look up a local ham that worked them on 160 it's not there either.  That means we're waiting for 30, 40, and 160 logs to upload for sure.  It looks like they did a complete overwrite.

ETA::Still not done, here's my screenshot from page 2 here.  Not just mising confirmations, but missing slots activated.  Same complaints on the reflectors.  Hang on and all will be sorted out.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Woohoo! In the log. Unfortunately, they busted my call on CW. Found it though as I thought I heard they had it wrong, so maybe I'll be able to get it sorted out in a few months if I can't work them on 40 again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Woohoo! In the log. Unfortunately, they busted my call on CW. Found it though as I thought I heard they had it wrong, so maybe I'll be able to get it sorted out in a few months if I can't work them on 40 again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I learned the hard way too, keep sending your call until you make them repeat it back to you correctly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#38]
The log is up now.

I'm in it. 20 meters phone.

I did it with the PRC 320

How many guys you know that have worked a split with a PRC 320!

ETA

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As I learned the hard way too, keep sending your call until you make them repeat it back to you correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, tried that one. They kept missing a dit And heard U instead of F.
By the time I sent the correct call a few times they thanked the original call and moved. Meh, I couldn't work them at all before today and then I managed to ep get them in four slots. I'll probably just shoot for another 40m QSO in the morning again.

Quoted:
The log is up now.

Great work Pic! That is another great one to remember!
How long did it take you to get through? You weren't sitting in a snow bank this time were you?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The log is up now.

I'm in it. 20 meters phone....
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got in town this morning at 0500 local. Lost the first 4 days of the DXpedition. Doesn't matter though. My little pop gun station wouldn't have stood a chance anyway.

Wiorked 40m and 30m for about 3 hours and came up a bust. Went to bed, got up and headed to the shack at 1900 local. Parked my butt on 20m phone as the prop really wasn't that good on the other bands. 45 minutes later I'm finally in the log.

Whew. Now the pressure is off from "I need them anywhere on any mode" to start on the band and mode fills.

I'm liking how these guys are running this show. Yes there are lids but with a bit of frequency shifting and other tactics they seem to have a handle on it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Gonna have to run to the club shack this weekend  and try their towers, not having any luck at home.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The log is up now.

ETA

http://www.greenradio.de/bilder3/b_prc320a.jpg
View Quote

My qso made it in the log also
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Great work Pic! That is another great one to remember!
How long did it take you to get through? You weren't sitting in a snow bank this time were you?
View Quote

Damned right I was sitting outside freezing my ass off in the cold and wind!

It took a couple hours of clicking that damned decade switch but I got through.

Wire in a tree for an antenna.

Damn, that little rig has mojo!

I'll do a blog post for describing it in a few days.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

By the time I sent the correct call a few times they thanked the original call and moved. Meh, I couldn't work them at all before today and then I managed to ep get them in four slots. I'll probably just shoot for another 40m QSO in the morning again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand, been there too.  About the only way to get them to notice is to really slow down your sending when repeating it, but that doesn't always work either.  I'm sure you can work them again, and if not, giving the QSL manager the contact info afterwards should get him to fix it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#46]
QSY'd to 14.1769 / 14.196...got him on the third try LOLOLOL  

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#47]
So I see on DXwatch spots and ClubLog that the logs are now complete, except my 160 is not there and never has been.

So I see them spotted on 160, go there and see where they're listening, and I work them again on my first call.  Time will tell if it's really them and if I show up in the log...
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Sadly I can't seem to work them on RTTY.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Now I see spots on DXwatch that EU stations reporting Feb 4 160M contacts missing which is when I worked them!  Maybe I got them twice?  

Great job there K9-Bob!  

ETA: My DM-780 keeps crapping out and I'm about to switch to FLdigi on the Flex...
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:00:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Got them on 40, 20, 15 and 10m. All CW. I was not really trying hard. I can't stand all the idiots on SSB. CW rocks! It's way more civil and organized.
Anytime I turn the radio to work them on 80 meters they are calling for EU only. Darn firners. I need another 80 m antenna to cover CW portion. My antenna tuner can barely tune the 80m Inverted-V.

This little gismo is very helpful when trying to call for half hour.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top