Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Can they be stored (not long term) on their side safely?

I live in NV and see full on desert rat rigs all the time. Mostly they put the cans on the roof rack skinny side down / spout up but I have seen them lying on there sides once in a while. It must work ok but not preferred.

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have now ordered and received 12 of these. Two things: 1. $127 is what they charge you even though there initially appears to be a S/H charge before you checkout. 2. These are the best deal out there. Brand new first quality metal Jerry cans and I am happy as hell to have found them. Get 'em while they last.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like there all sold out...........Any one think we need a Gas can whore tread jut like the ammo and mag whore ones?
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn.....needed...er wanted 4 more
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
crap.  i was just getting ready to buy some.

just got the money lined up....
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I was waiting for next month to buy another four pack,oh well,just have to be happy I got eight of themI'll just buy some
more five liter cans.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I figured they would be gone soon, I wanted another four myself but I bought eight and those eight are destined for Kerosene so I am good enough.  The Scepters I had linked to before are now the last good cheap Mil-Spec gas can I know of!  I already have 12 of them so I am done buying those too now

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scepter-Military-Fuel-Can-MFC-set-of-4-used_W0QQitemZ280404701051

Link Posted: 10/5/2009 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Sold out........DAMN!
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#9]
So what exactly is different between a Scepter gas can and a water can?

Aside from the fact that I can still buy the water can.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The fuel can; has the word "FUEL" molded on the side, has 3 handles, is self venting when poured, is a bit thicker, and is compatible with standard .mil/NATO accessories.

The water can; has the word "WATER" molded on the side, has one handle, is not self venting, has a food grade lining, and is not comparable with NATO fuel accessories(no spouts).

Link Posted: 10/5/2009 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The neck size. I had same thought you did months ago when we stared buying water cans. I picked up a couple of different spouts to fit the Scepter MFC gas cans (I know redundant). They will not fit the water cans. The water cans do not offer a spout to screw onto them. They are designed so you can pour water from tem without removing the cap.

Link Posted: 10/5/2009 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bought 16 of them last night-we'll see if they ship them to NH (there was nothing on the site to indicate that they wouldn't).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I ordered a 4 pack.  We'll see.

Got my shipping confirmation on Saturday, and my Visa debit account was hit. Looks like we're GTG-can't wait to dump my godawful CARB cans

Yup, I got my shipping confirmation too.  Like Quarterbore, I mainly bought these for Kerosene.  I have some Scepter and NATO cans that I use for gasoline.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The neck size.

Gotcha.

Link Posted: 10/7/2009 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#14]
The site says you can pre-order if they can find more.   I went ahead and preordered.
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 5:10:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The site says you can pre-order if they can find more. I went ahead and preordered.

Risky plan in my oppinion.  There are the used Blitz cans and Scepters that you can buy now.  There are also some of these same German cans on EBAY for at least 25% more then we paid
 I just hate to commit to a backorder on something that may be very difficult for the copany to import again and I sure would not hold out buying other good options if you really need decent cans.

I would love to see them get more, by then I might have more money to buy a few more but this whole gas can adiction needs to stop

Link Posted: 10/7/2009 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The site says you can pre-order if they can find more. I went ahead and preordered.

Risky plan in my oppinion.  There are the used Blitz cans and Scepters that you can buy now.  There are also some of these same German cans on EBAY for at least 25% more then we paid
 I just hate to commit to a backorder on something that may be very difficult for the copany to import again and I sure would not hold out buying other good options if you really need decent cans.

I would love to see them get more, by then I might have more money to buy a few more but this whole gas can adiction needs to stop

Agreed.  I may get some scepters as well.

Link Posted: 10/7/2009 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm so glad I got my order in when I did... sold out and they don't expect to ship any more until the end of the year IF they find more and can get them imported (doubtful with the carb rules!)
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Risky plan in my oppinion.  There are the used Blitz cans and Scepters that you can buy now.  There are also some of these same German cans on EBAY for at least 25% more then we paid  I just hate to commit to a backorder on something that may be very difficult for the copany to import again and I sure would not hold out buying other good options if you really need decent cans.

I can stop any time I want !! (man I hope they find some in hitlers lost fuel can depot) not sayin I cant say no if they do find some.....its been two weeks since my last order came in...feel like I have bugs on my skin and cant stop shaking
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#19]
My order arrived yesterday, and I'm extremely pleased so far with the unit quality. The gaskets on two of the cans I checked were red, if that means anything.

Never thought I'd ever see new "preban" jerrycans available anywhere. I really missed the boat on these before all of the CARB nonsense.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#20]
geez you made me look at the web site......still sold out
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I got mine the other day, and ordered some used ones from Maine Military.

MM still has them in stock, btw. I ordered the 3-pack from their wholesale section. Should be here soon.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My order arrived yesterday, and I'm extremely pleased so far with the unit quality. The gaskets on two of the cans I checked were red, if that means anything.

Never thought I'd ever see new "preban" jerrycans available anywhere. I really missed the boat on these before all of the CARB nonsense.

I'm also pleased.  Other than some very minor storage marks, these cans are new.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Just found out from a family member that "I screwed it up for them".

I told them to order before I told you guys but they waited too long and didn't get in on this deal.

They contacted the company and were told they had a couple thousand more cans en route.

Just a heads up for you folks getting in on the backorder.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I told them to order before I told you guys but they waited too long and didn't get in on this deal.

They contacted the company and were told they had a couple thousand more cans en route.

DAMN IT !!!Just when the shakes stopped
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the info!

I think I'll order twelve more as soon as the next shipment arrives-assuming that the per unit price hasn't gotten foolish. While I don't really need them for myself I foresee friends, neighbors, or family possibly needing them in the future. They stack compact enough for me to stash some empties in the attic.

Thanks again for the update-these cans are lightyears better than anything else I own.

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#26]
tag for later
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep they need to make a 12 pack deal now. Hey better yet an 18pack LOL oops this ain't the beer isle at the grocery store.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

you gotta be kidding me....  if they come in again my girlfriend will definately kill me.  I got away with murder this time
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:...contacted the company and were told they had a couple thousand more cans en route....

WooHoo!
-Then eight more WILL BE MINE!  Mwahahaha!

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Went to backorder, and it is trying to charge me shipping and NV tax (they're out of AZ).  WTF?
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Went to backorder, and it is trying to charge me shipping and NV tax (they're out of AZ).  WTF?

The shipping will be deleted when they process the order...
It said so when I ordered them last time.

I was charged the $127 shipping included when they processed it (when it got shipped)

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shipping will be deleted when they process the order...
It said so when I ordered them last time.

I was charged the $127 shipping included when they processed it (when it got shipped)

Ah, thanks.  Suppose I should have read all four pages instead of skipping to the good part, eh?  

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Caught wind of this deal on an off road board. Mine just showed up today, as advertised.

Thought it might help as all non CARB fuel cans are getting harder to find (and more expensive).

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/

ETA: I searched back 3 months and didn't see any results, sorry if it is a dupe....

I hear people seeking these cans all the time.  What's so special about them?

John
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#34]
They will be illegal and no longer for sale after the first of the year.  They hold fuel well and are easily transported/stacked.  

For me they are the gold standard of fuel storage next to barrels.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Any other sources if these don't come back in stock?
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Well I just got the weird look and the rolled eyes when I mentioned I ordered 8 cans to the GF.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well I just got the weird look and the rolled eyes when I mentioned I ordered 8 cans to the GF.

welcome to the club
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

welcome to the club
I been in the club so long you could call me a founder. That is the reason I got the look. Her way of saying haven't we got enough already.

I am thinking now of getting some Scepter fuel cans to go along with these and the 8 Scepter water cans I have.

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Caught wind of this deal on an off road board. Mine just showed up today, as advertised.

Thought it might help as all non CARB fuel cans are getting harder to find (and more expensive).

ETA: I searched back 3 months and didn't see any results, sorry if it is a dupe....

John

They are magically addictive.........
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

They are magically addictive.........

DAMMIT !!!!!!!!! I just ordered another 8........If they get them in.......thats it...thats it....thats it.....if I cant survive the appocolipse with 29 jerry cans then I dont want to freakin survive !!!@!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Wish I'd have seen this deal in the beginning.

On the same note, who has the best deals on the Scepter fuel cans? Is there anything to worry about buying used, or should I stick with new? Would $30 be too much for used?

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

On the same note, who has the best deals on the Scepter fuel cans? Is there anything to worry about buying used, or should I stick with new? Would $30 be too much for used?

Um where are you finding new Scepters?

$30 + shipping is about the current price for used military surplus Scepters from Ebay.

If you put gasoline into a Scepter that is assembled for diesel the rubber seal will swell and the cap might break.  Replacement caps are unavailable so breaking the cap will destroy the can.  To prevent damage you must remove the diesel seal and install a gasoline compatible seal made of viton.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was content with the four cans I ordered/received earlier until I read this. Looks like I'll need to make room for four more cans . That will make 8 jerry cans and 12 plastic Blitz (4 with CARB nozzles). If I can find more room in the shed I might have to order 4 more jerry cans and keep the Blitz cans empty until civil unrest nears.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was content with the four cans I ordered/received earlier until I read this. Looks like I'll need to make room for four more cans . That will make 8 jerry cans and 12 plastic Blitz (4 with CARB nozzles). If I can find more room in the shed I might have to order 4 more jerry cans and keep the Blitz cans empty until civil unrest nears.

what if you can't find gas at that point?  Better to use a rotation schedule instead.
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Any updates as to the status of more cans from DO? Im on the back order list for 12 cans. Not sure if I should give up and take my money elsewhere. Knowing my luck as soon as I do they'll start shipping them!
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I talked to them a couple of weeks ago.  The lady there said the owner went to Europe to check on the cans, among other things.  She said they would be able to get about 2000 cans and already had about 1800 back ordered.  They were expecting them sometime in January and will ship them out asap.

I would sit tight and see what January brings, as those cans are getting really hard to come by.  I have 16 of them on order myself.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn! sounds like I may have to order a few more! Jeez
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I hope I get my 4
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um where are you finding new Scepters?

$30 + shipping is about the current price for used military surplus Scepters from Ebay.

If you put gasoline into a Scepter that is assembled for diesel the rubber seal will swell and the cap might break.  Replacement caps are unavailable so breaking the cap will destroy the can.  To prevent damage you must remove the diesel seal and install a gasoline compatible seal made of viton.

Question for you guys:  What kind of seal do these Bundeswehr 20 Liter Gasoline/Diesel Jerry Cans have?  From the way they are advertising them, they can store either Gasoline or Diesel.  I bought a 4 pack before they ran out to use as storage for Kerosene.  Can the cans be used for either Gasoline or Diesel or does the seal need to be switched out for Viton if Gasoline is stored in them?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#50]
With the Jerry Can style nozzle the common advise is that you do not need to worry about the gaskets stealing like the sceptors.  The scepter gaskets are much larger in diameter and if you use a diesel gasket with gassoline you really can see these swell and they are retained on both the inside and outside by plastic.  The Metal Jerry can on the other hand will not crack like the plastic plus because there is much less gasket in the first place there is less overall swelling that causes the pressure.

I do not store Diesel at this point but I use my German Jerry cans as they came for both Gasoline and Kerosene with zero problems.  I use scepters for Gasoline BUT I DID replace all of my gaskets to Vitron units as you can absolutely see the original rubber gaskets swell when used with gas.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top