Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, I can't imagine planting anything in January.  I planted tomatoes and peppers in late April last year and had to cover them twice.

Well, the onions were planted 'for real'.  The other seeds were planted so that I could hone my row spacing/layout before I do the real plantings in February  (potatoes) and mid March (beets, carrots, radishes).

I got lucky last year when I planted watermelon seeds in mid-March.  

Around the second week in February, in both 2010 and 2011 we set records for snowfall. (8-12")  We'll see how it goes this year too.

TRG

Planting at the end of may can be risky some years here.

GM

Well, the garden bug hit me in March last year.  Too late for onions to do very well.  Beets survived, barely, and cabbages ...well, couple nice ones, mostly a bust.

My early summer stuff, like tomatoes, I screwed up as well.  Oddly, even though my peppers did not do well in the summer, I was canning them by the quart the week before Thanksgiving.

Local buddy (former member FUGGIT) is picking radishes from his garden this week.  

TRG

Is there a balance in climate? (as far as growing seasons go)
My wife and I start seeds indoors in March.

Our growing season may start in late May but usually goes to Sept. and we don't get heat without the rain that comes with it.(usually)

I'm just trying to get a feel for other growing seasons in other parts of the country and what it entails.

GM

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I dunno about 'balance' these days.  According to the information on the web, the seed packets and the almanac, radishes are not supposed to be growing around here right now.  It's almost the end of January and I think we have only had a handful of mornings below 32 this winter.

A;though most of my trees have dropped their leaves, I am looking at some oaks that still have green leaves on them.

One of those frosts killed my late season potatoes.

In January 05 or 06 we had temps in the 90s around New Years.

in 10 and 11 we had record snowfalls in February.

Today we are under a flash flood warning with 4-5" of rain expected to continue to fall.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm'a go ahead and say it since we've made it three pages...

Thanks to TRG for not showing any of his "Nude" gardening pics.... as his thread title promises.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm'a go ahead and say it since we've made it three pages...

Thanks to TRG for not showing any of his "Nude" gardening pics.... as his thread title promises.

Apparently you did not click on the two images that were hidden in the opening post.  

TRG
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#5]
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"  
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"  
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"
"click"

Seriously, My herb garden is till going strong with parsley, thyme, oregano & mint. I pulled the basil last fall and my rosemary died when I quit watering.

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click"  "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click"  "click" "click" "click" "click" "click" "click"

Seriously, My herb garden is till going strong with parsley, thyme, oregano & mint. I pulled the basil last fall and my rosemary died when I quit watering.

I stopped growing herbs.  My rosemary had lived here for more than 10 years.  Drought finally killed it.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, we set records for rainfall in January, I think.  Yesterday it began to rain, and then it got serious and turned in to a deluge.  I have been sick for the last couple of days so all I could do was watch as the rain swept through my garden.

I had a problem with some erosion before that I posted, but these rains took it to the next level of erosion.  Not catastrophic, but, man...

Anyways, here are the pics of both the damage and the resolution:

This is looking across the watermelon patch toward the vegetable patch.  These are now a foot deep.

The ground is sloped, and it has never eroded this badly before.  To redirect the water, I cut two ditches through the pasture to help turn the main flow from the hill.

I used the bedding plow to cut it, and then used the rear tire to shape them.  There are two ditches now.  I tried to use the natural flow patterns as much as possible.

There are several more views in my photobucket album is anyone wants to look at different angles.

http://photobucket.com/TheRedGoat

The vegetable garden also got washed away.  I lost alot of the onions that I had planted, and gathered those that I could find and replanted as well as I could.

I had to cut a ditch to stop water from my front yard that was channeling/draining right down the middle of the vegetable patch.

This is all of the material from the melon patch and the vegetable patch that was washed out.  I can move it this summer with the box blade, but, man, it's a mess.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
shit
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The end of the vegetable patch, these ditches should help turn the floodwaters from my front yard, away from the vegetable area.  

I have cleaned them up a little since this pic was taken, and I'll adjust them as needed to keep the water turned away this spring during heavy rain.

Some of the erosion.  You can see it cut a swath through my onions...

For those of you, like myself, who are still learning terms for gardening, this is the bedding plow that I used to dig the ditches.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
shit

No kidding.

I should have been proactive about this.  It was dumb to ignore it.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I too have an erosion problem at the far end of my largest field.

I'll be watching to see how your solution works out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Shit man, sorry to see that.

But really, how often do we have gully washers in this area? And they're saying that even with the record JAN rainfall, it'll just postpone us a few months fromgoing from Stage 3 to Stage 4 water restrictions.

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I too have an erosion problem at the far end of my largest field.

I'll be watching to see how your solution works out.

When I bought this property in '94 I had to cut two ditches to stop the house from being flooded each time it rained.  

Over time, these new ditches should become part of the landscape.  

After I had cut the ditch around the vegetable patch it dawned on me that I had possibly snagged a lateral line, but, apparently God watches over fools and children and I missed them.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#14]
A wise fellow last year advised me not to complain about the rain I would never have guessed with your slope being so gentle that so much damage would have occurred. We use what is called sod waterways to divert high rain events to an area where less damage will occur. Sod water ways take some planning, figuring out the "lay" of the land and a little work to put them in but in the long run they are worth it. Erosion is never a good thing and that topsoil can never be put back the way mother nature did. Good luck with your efforts to get things back to normal, you had such a good start on the garden and everything looked great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A wise fellow last year advised me not to complain about the rain I would never have guessed with your slope being so gentle that so much damage would have occurred. We use what is called sod waterways to divert high rain events to an area where less damage will occur. Sod water ways take some planning, figuring out the "lay" of the land and a little work to put them in but in the long run they are worth it. Erosion is never a good thing and that topsoil can never be put back the way mother nature did. Good luck with your efforts to get things back to normal, you had such a good start on the garden and everything looked great.

He was wise indeed.  

TRG
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
What about boiling or scrambling the eggs and feeding them back to the chickens?  (obviously don't want to give them raw eggs or they'll start eating them on their own)
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What about boiling or scrambling the eggs and feeding them back to the chickens?  (obviously don't want to give them raw eggs or they'll start eating them on their own)

When too many eggs pile up I boil them and feed them to the dogs and chickens.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Werent you irrigating some from a creek last year with some sort of small PTO driven pump? Reason for asking is I have an old abandoned shallow water well near me in the woods that is fed from a underground spring.  I am trying to figure out what pump I need to get the water to my garden area.  I have a small kubota tractor that I could use or a generator to run a electric type system. I wll have to push the water up a slight grade about 200 yards. How far were you moving that water?  If I have you mixed up with someone else I apologize.

la
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Ever think about throwing up a pole barn to keep all that equipment out of the weather?  Maybe a party barn annex?
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Werent you irrigating some from a creek last year with some sort of small PTO driven pump? Reason for asking is I have an old abandoned shallow water well near me in the woods that is fed from a underground spring.  I am trying to figure out what pump I need to get the water to my garden area.  I have a small kubota tractor that I could use or a generator to run a electric type system. I wll have to push the water up a slight grade about 200 yards. How far were you moving that water?  If I have you mixed up with someone else I apologize.

la

That was me.  It also resulted in me seizing the PTO and doing 1500 in gear damage.

If it is well, find out the depth that you are planning to draw from, install a pipe, a footvalve and an electric pump.

The PTO pump is not very good at drawing water up.  Mine would only lift at 1000 RPM.  

TRG
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ever think about throwing up a pole barn to keep all that equipment out of the weather?  Maybe a party barn annex?

Considered it, but right now we are remodeling the house.

Oddly, the best place for a pole barn is right in the middle of the vegetable garden.  Fairly flat, out of the woods and secure from thieves.

the 'other' good spot is where I plan to put in a small orchard, and is too close to the road.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

la

That was me.  It also resulted in me seizing the PTO and doing 1500 in gear damage.

If it is well, find out the depth that you are planning to draw from, install a pipe, a footvalve and an electric pump.

The PTO pump is not very good at drawing water up.  Mine would only lift at 1000 RPM.  

TRG

How high was it lifting? Why did it seize?

My creek (larger than yours) is 200 yards and probably 15 feet lower than my garden area.

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

la

TRG

My creek (larger than yours) is 200 yards and probably 15 feet lower than my garden area.

Lifted about 6-7' from the creekbed, then pushed it another 20-30' in elevation 150yds away to the garden. I think it was pumping about 9GPM.  It did allow me to keep my garden alive during the record drought though.  Financially, spending a thousand on commercial canned goods would have been more cost-effective in hindsight.

It seized because I did not have enough transmission fluid.  It was on an incline (so I could get closer to the creek).

Worked fine when the pump was new, but,as the pump aged, the clearances made it harder and harder to initially draw water.

I plan to build a retaining wall/dam this spring to hold more water.  I could pump my creek dry in about an hour at full pressure.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

la

TRG

Lifted about 6-7' from the creekbed, then pushed it another 20-30' in elevation 150yds away to the garden. I think it was pumping about 9GPM.  It did allow me to keep my garden alive during the record drought though.  Financially, spending a thousand on commercial canned goods would have been more cost-effective in hindsight.

It seized because I did not have enough transmission fluid.  It was on an incline (so I could get closer to the creek).

Worked fine when the pump was new, but,as the pump aged, the clearances made it harder and harder to initially draw water.

I plan to build a retaining wall/dam this spring to hold more water.  I could pump my creek dry in about an hour at full pressure.

TRG

Based on that, I could easily water from this with a good PTO pump:

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm curious if there are any laws/regulations regarding pumping from a creek.

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm curious if there are any laws/regulations regarding pumping from a creek.

NP in Texas.  Other states regulate it.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

la

TRG

TRG

Based on that, I could easily water from this with a good PTO pump:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-p8vcmMMSiE4/TZnih4Qlw6I/AAAAAAAAHY8/E4KS8z360UI/s720/IMG_5703.JPG

Should be no problem.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

la

TRG

The closer you get the tractor/pump to the source of the water the easier it will be to pump it and the less trouble you will have with keeping it primed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I think I am gonna lean to a small electric pump\tank setup with a pressure switch.  Run it off a 5 kw genny.  This way I can use soaker type hoses in the garden. The old well is only 10ft deep,constructed out of 36" cement culverts.  I was concerned how fast it would refill after pumping,so when I pumped it out with my trash pump it refilled overnight.

Trg,
Were you just using water hose to get to your garden?
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think I am gonna lean to a small electric pump\tank setup with a pressure switch.  Run it off a 5 kw genny.  This way I can use soaker type hoses in the garden. The old well is only 10ft deep,constructed out of 36" cement culverts.  I was concerned how fast it would refill after pumping,so when I pumped it out with my trash pump it refilled overnight.

Trg,
Were you just using water hose to get to your garden?

Yes.  

If I find a good deal on 2" or larger lines it would help with both my initial priming issue and reduce system pressure while increasing volume.

I pumped up a standard hose to a 5 position brass switch. This caused other pressure issues.

Ideally, I would pump 9 gallons per minute through my system.  If I had removed some of the restriction issues (larger hoses, 1" couplings instead of 1/4") could have pumped quite a bit more water.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/hypro-reg-6-roller-cast-iron-sprayer-pump-with-torque-arm-2112023

The pump can do about 20 GPM.

I was losing a lot of efficiency to back pressure.

I plan to build an experimental dam this spring to hold more water in reserve and will look at ways to make mine even more efficient if the drought continues.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#31]
It has been my experience that most dams (beaver dams are the exception) on small streams are prone to washout during rain events. I have seen with some success that digging a large watering hole in the creek to be more successful. The downside to that is, it will sooner or later be filled in with debris and have to be cleaned out again. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It has been my experience that most dams (beaver dams are the exception) on small streams are prone to washout during rain events. I have seen with some success that digging a large watering hole in the creek to be more successful. The downside to that is, it will sooner or later be filled in with debris and have to be cleaned out again. YMMV

Same experience I have had.  This is why I have never dammed my creek before with anything other than a few homemade sandbags (husky bags full of sand).  

My creek will go outside of its bank every year or two.  Anything in the bed will wash out, or get rammed by debris.

I will probably build a 1-2' tall dam this year so I can pump for more than an hour, but I know I will lose it in flood.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same experience I have had.  This is why I have never dammed my creek before with anything other than a few homemade sandbags (husky bags full of sand).  

My creek will go outside of its bank every year or two.  Anything in the bed will wash out, or get rammed by debris.

I will probably build a 1-2' tall dam this year so I can pump for more than an hour, but I know I will lose it in flood.

TRG

eco blocks

Won't lose them. I promise.

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice

ETA:
The heavy rain has to be a PITA. It's gotta suck when your work gets destroyed by a weather front.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#35]
floodwater, rain, erosion

a garden is on my list of things to do.  i've got the land, i've got the tractor, it's just that thus far i haven't had the knowledge or desire
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

eco blocks

Won't lose them. I promise.

Garbage bags are almost free.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

TRG

True, and you'll be doing it again within a year probably.

Eco blocks aren't expensive, I think I priced them out locally for $40 each, and you could build a reasonable damn in a day, that would outlast you.

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

Eco blocks aren't expensive, I think I priced them out locally for $40 each, and you could build a reasonable damn in a day, that would outlast you.

Link?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

Link?

TRG

They look like this:

They are made from leftover concrete mixes. You'll have to literally drive around your local industrial area and look for a materials company to buy them from.

I had to go door to door asking before I found them.

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

a garden is on my list of things to do.  i've got the land, i've got the tractor, it's just that thus far i haven't had the knowledge or desire

Just waitin on the locusts...

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just waitin on the locusts...  

Shut.Your.Whore.Mouth.

Had only a few problems last year with grasshoppers. In some years, they are almost Biblical.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 4:19:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Grasshoppers lay their eggs in bare soil, so wait till this year.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Saw them laying them on T-posts last Fall.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

How do you know it wasn't just taking a dump?
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

How do you know it wasn't just taking a dump?

The look on its face.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Three rows, 90' ea of mixed red and white potatoes.

A volunteer mustard plant from last summer?

The rows were dug with the bedding plow.  I seasoned the bottom of the beds with 10-20-10 and cotton seed meal.  

I had 10lbs of red and 10lbs of white potatoes.  I let them rest and develop eyes by sitting them in a plastic bin and covering them with a damp towel.

The bedding plow, as shown, was adjusted to cut a 3-4" deep bed.  In some places it was deeper.  The moist ground should settle pretty soon, and rain is forecast for Sunday.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#48]
The onions have been in the soil for 2-3 weeks, so I top dressed them with 10-20-10.  You can see it in the pic of the mustard plant.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, we'll see if this works or not.  Never raised a successful crop of taters before, and as always, I went all in with the rows.  Honestly, I have no ida how much crop to even expect from what I planted.  

The far right row (closest to the tractor) is part of the 'new' garden that I added to square the plot this year.

Still no arrowheads found.  My neighbor keeps telling that we have alot of them in our area, but, I have been stumped on finding any.

And on a related note, we are repainting the interior of our house this winter.  Not a garden related pic, but, posted for the curious.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, we'll see if this works or not.  Never raised a successful crop of taters before, and as always, I went all in with the rows.  Honestly, I have no ida how much crop to even expect from what I planted.  

The far right row (closest to the tractor) is part of the 'new' garden that I added to square the plot this year.

Still no arrowheads found.  My neighbor keeps telling that we have alot of them in our area, but, I have been stumped on finding any.

TRG

I've heard the same about my fields, but I haven't turned them over yet.

Question. How many potatoes does a single potato produce?

Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top