BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I know gun threads are cool, but don't you worry about food?  Not just food storage, but food production!

Because food is easy: buy enough and store it proper.  It is not opinionated or debatable really.  You just do it.

Guns, ammo load out, defensive plans are highly opinionated and debatable between the myraid of options to fufill the roles needed.  Thus these topics generate much more discussion.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You may want to hit that little button that says "Outdoors".

There's a whole Survival Forum on food.

OK TJ (with your smart alecky little crooked smilie) I'll check it out now.  

before I go, comments:
I think the forum you talk about is very new:
I'm willing to bet a lot of folks didn't know about it:
Ive developed a survival forum habit over a period of years, so coming here for everything is hard to break:
FINALLY: this just shows how for some people having the forums broken up into a zillion little pieces just doesn't make sense:
no need for the smiliey of disgust

It seems like the new forum format is starting to feed the "typical" Survival forum type of posts....

Its a damn shame!

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

= no emotion
= half smirk of disgust
=  I miss my old fashioned survival forum!

I will be honest I do not know what any of these round fuckers mean.

Is there one for righteous indignation?

Screw the food forum, bring it all back under one roof.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Guns are cooler! I agree, Food, Energy Self Suffiency, and hte like are more important.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With a septic system, particle filtration then distilation (is that a word?) you end up with 100% pure water.

Distillation is a word. "distilation" isn't. Also, don't drink only distilled water; it leaches minerals out of your body. Obviously, in a survival situation, drink the distilled water. Just don't install a distillation tower in your house and drink only distilled water for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, so where do I post my recipe for reloading shotgun shells with 00 corn? I also have one for 00 black eyed peas. I got one for birds filled with corn meal to!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's the thing. OK, well two things. First food is boring.

Secondly, alot of us have enough food to 'survive' almost any 'normal' problem so long as law and order is maintained. If we can still run to the store we're good to go.

But why have guns unless it's to defend the homestead against criminals or worse? And if law and order should break down, depending on our situation and neighborhood and proximity to large numbers of unruly folk in peace time.... keeping one's supplies after the fact may very well require a bullet proofed home, armour, NV, and an arsenal.

Still, I think we all 'get' the need for shelter, food, water, fuel, first aid, tools, transport, comms, skills, etc. etc. besides the .22 and .38
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe you want a pantry list of approved foods and quantities?

The LDS church has a great website for how much food you'll need for X number of adults or kids, for 6 months. It's a great calculator....

OR look at some of the posts on this very subject from the archives....

Guys here with:

cases of MREs
cases of Mountain House (from the group buy)
Barrels of wheat, flour, beans, rice
stacks of condiments,
shelves of canned fruit, spam, fish, soups, veggies
shelves of jars of fruit, etc.

water, fuel, etc
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is Friday Mad Max v. Old McDonald day?

What if I make a fort out of food? Where do I post about that?

edit You would not laugh if you had ever had one of my pancakes....

But will your pancakes stop a handgun round?  5.56? 7.62x39? Box O' Truth time!

<<paging old painless>>

Depends on who is cooking ....the wife's  could stop 50 API.   Mine are fluffy and air like .....
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:44:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
with enough bullets i can shoot looters and use them for food.

MMMMMMMMM bbq soylent green

Soylent green sounds good to me!

When you're stomach starts a achin'
And you're feelin' fer some bacon
... Soylent green!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The firearm part  is often more fun.

My wife does the "Pantry store" part.

Plus she's great at saving money while stocking up.

As shown by these receipts,  $62.27 spent and $103.07 saved.

She IS the best of my preps.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
With a septic system, particle filtration then distilation (is that a word?) you end up with 100% pure water.

Distillation is a word. "distilation" isn't. Also, don't drink only distilled water; it leaches minerals out of your body. Obviously, in a survival situation, drink the distilled water. Just don't install a distillation tower in your house and drink only distilled water for the rest of your life.

i thought that was a myth
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Secondly, alot of us have enough food to 'survive' almost any 'normal' problem so long as law and order is maintained. If we can still run to the store we're good to go."

Really?

I hate to sound cynical but the fact that the food related threads die so easily to me is an indication that most people here are NOT taking food storage that serious. I said "most" not "all" and I didn't say "you" for all whiney types...

That and the fact that people ask the absolute basic questions regarding food storage over and over again. I won't even mention the fact that just putting back wet packed grocery store stuff shows a lack of long term experience storing food in quantity (I've had to throw out hundreds of dollars of the stuff, the money would have been better spent buying LESS EXPENSIVE long term storage foods in the first place).

The last part of the comment sums it up-

If we can still run to the store we're good to go."

Geez I thought we were all survivalists here? Run to the store during an emergency?????? What to you constitutes an emergency?

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The last part of the comment sums it up-

"If we can still run to the store we're good to go."

well guess you wont need the 4 AR's then huh since its not that bad,,or the 10k in ammo, or the fancy tact gear.. i mean after all if you can just stroll on into  wally mart and come back with a cold 6'r and a steak....

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:20:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Not everyone subscribes to that I guess, as it seems to be more entertaining to make fun of someone focussed on one or the other.

no,, the ppl that are fun to poke at are the ones that come off with some persona that they know/have it all planned and stocked up. These same guys brag about how prep'd they are, or come off like they are, yet wont make it past week 1.
The same kind that will post picks of 4 cases of mre's, a pallet of mnt house, 300 ammo cans... and a pciture o fthe 1/2 acre back yard in a subburb, 30 minutes from an intl. airport and major urabn hub( ie large bullseye for a nuke) And go on and on about how "ready" they are, and to look at there "set up" and new toys....all for teh glory of the net..these are the same ones that cry  and boohooo when i point out ill just burn them outta their lil comfy hole,, and they reply with youll never get close enough( even though its just them , an dthe wife who doesnt  shoot,  they'll stay up 365 24/7 on wacth right  )..and commence to call me an arogent ass who is a drunk redneck who loves old c+r guns which have no place in todays modern shtf prepping plans.........

now while that person maybe better off than 90% of the sheep out there, they really arent prepared at all. The far exteme of this is the guy with all the gear, to outlast 30 shtf's but only a pantry of food for his wife and 3 kids.

Look around teh forums you'll see these types...youll also see newbs, guys  just getting started or guys that cant past the stage of a ruck and gun,and guys that have more than  200 members together,,,,,

dusty c said something a long ways back about the forums... and the make up of them.
80% dont prep,10% do prep... 5% are the real deal but lurk,, the other 5% are the real deal but come off like complete assholes for their own entertainment...

aint the internet a fun place
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:40:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a myth.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The firearm part  is often more fun.

My wife does the "Pantry store" part.

Plus she's great at saving money while stocking up.

As shown by these receipts,  $62.27 spent and $103.07 saved.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/xm15a2/P1020426.jpg

She IS the best of my preps.

We call that "Jesse James without a gun."  She robbed them and never had to pull her gun to do it.  You can borrow it if you want.  Call her JJ.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a myth.

It pretty much is. If you're really worried about it, throw a couple pieces of limestone in your distilled h2o or break a small piece off a mineral suppliment tablet. Even some soda or TUMS will work. Switch the stuff around from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Not everyone subscribes to that I guess, as it seems to be more entertaining to make fun of someone focussed on one or the other.

no,, the ppl that are fun to poke at are the ones that come off with some persona that they know/have it all planned and stocked up. These same guys brag about how prep'd they are, or come off like they are, yet wont make it past week 1.
The same kind that will post picks of 4 cases of mre's, a pallet of mnt house, 300 ammo cans... and a pciture o fthe 1/2 acre back yard in a subburb, 30 minutes from an intl. airport and major urabn hub( ie large bullseye for a nuke) And go on and on about how "ready" they are, and to look at there "set up" and new toys....all for teh glory of the net..these are the same ones that cry  and boohooo when i point out ill just burn them outta their lil comfy hole,, and they reply with youll never get close enough( even though its just them , an dthe wife who doesnt  shoot,  they'll stay up 365 24/7 on wacth right  )..and commence to call me an arogent ass who is a drunk redneck who loves old c+r guns which have no place in todays modern shtf prepping plans.........

now while that person maybe better off than 90% of the sheep out there, they really arent prepared at all. The far exteme of this is the guy with all the gear, to outlast 30 shtf's but only a pantry of food for his wife and 3 kids.

Look around teh forums you'll see these types...youll also see newbs, guys  just getting started or guys that cant past the stage of a ruck and gun,and guys that have more than  200 members together,,,,,

dusty c said something a long ways back about the forums... and the make up of them.
80% dont prep,10% do prep... 5% are the real deal but lurk,, the other 5% are the real deal but come off like complete assholes for their own entertainment...

Once food and fuel become scarce to unavailable, within 2 weeks you'll probably need to become 'invisible'. Most BOL's will not cut it especially the pristine campsite with a new tricked out SUV and loaded camper with a paved road 50 feet way. Or a hardened house.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Ohhh..it's guns and butter...

OK, I get it now...

Actually, I thought there was a lot of talk about food here. From the types to store, to how to store it, to how to raise and grow it yourself.

OK, so we like to talk about guns too. ar15.com...a gun site...hmmm, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Some crushed up TUMS, once a day mineral supplement, and a touch of salt and your good to go!

It is a myth.

It pretty much is. If you're really worried about it, throw a couple pieces of limestone in your distilled h2o or break a small piece off a mineral suppliment tablet. Even some soda or TUMS will work. Switch the stuff around from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Beans,Bullets and Bandaids.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Sometimes I feel like that guy .  It sucks being chained to a city when you know damn well that if something bad really does happen then luck is more likely to be a factor than how much food you have put away or how much ammo you have locked up in your gun safe.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I would think that those who can go back to Pre WW2, Depression Era living will be ok. I had lots of friends growing up that were in that category, they talked I listened. Even Apartments had pantrys. Think about what happens when there is a storm scare at the Grocery store...the bigger the store the worse the crowd.

Take into account that they require Tractor Trailers to refill each Day. Now cut off the trucks for 3 days? a Week? what happens to the sheep? They panic. I am not worried about hordes, a few shots would scare them off, but if it isn't the end of the World..you get  judgement day.

Now if you are invisable. My homestead looks normal , well to a drgree. I am striving toi provide for my family for a few weeks, 100% then I can shift to 50% or 25%, whatever it takes to keep our lives together.

When spring comes the garden, orchard, that are going in, will boost our needs. What I can shift away from buying food, or TP , can go to more important thoings like the mortgage, or gasoline.

As for guns, yes protection, but also recreation, hunting, and the like. In NJ I fear a 400% tax on ammo, I have enough stored to last years.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top