Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
30-cal ammo cans are wonderful little containers.  Airtight so they can store things like gold, silver, and cash indefinitely.  

There are lots of places in a house to hide stuff that a burglar will not find unless they are really dedicated to the task and have a lot of time or insider info.

The rafters of your house.  If you have  a messy garage, put it near the bottom in a big pile of junk (just don't forget it's there!).  Under the house is a great option, too, especially if you have a small crawl space, not many folks are going to break into a house and go for the crawl space.  If you're decent with texturing and paint, you can take a piece out of a wall, put the goods inside the wall and seal it back up.  No one's going to find it there, of course, you'd have to tear up the wall to get to it.  Heck, you could even dig a nice deep hole in the yard.  Small fireproof safes are a good option if you're worried about house fires (but even most of those are only going to last 30 minutes in a blaze).

I had a grandmother who hid several thousand dollars in the cushions of her couch.  Not a bright place to hide it, if you ask me, if I were a burglar and had a few minutes, I'd definitely tear into the furniture with a knife, it's too obvious...

Just need to get creative.  Much of the time, something small that's well hidden is much safer from threats than anything in a safe bolted to the floor.  The two big questions you need to ask are: 1) how safe does it need to be and 2) how quickly will I eventually need to get to it?  The answers to that will guide what you do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those that keep liquid cash on hand, how do you store it? The reason Im asking is because I want to do this but am worried someone will break in and steal it or there will be a fire. Only other option is a fireproof safe right?  The thing is the safe could get stolen too. Do they make very small fireproof safes so that I can hide it better? Let me know what you do.

in my fire lined 700lbs gun safe that is bolted to the floor. Been putting $100 a pay check for about the past 3 years.

J-

TomJefferson's post is very important.

You just admitted to having over $15,000 in your home safe on the internet.  [rest of it redacted]  

Well that was a downright creepy lesson that should have been delivered in private, instead of broadcast. Two wrongs certainly don 't make it right.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
In-slab safe is my favorite.

Let them beat on the obvious firearms safe. Put a bit of cash in there and let them think they found the treasure.

I like the idea of the caches inside the house like inside doors and false outlets, but am quite concerned that a house fire would take those goods.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

In-slab safe is my favorite.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/3BwM1jU3qZuZ_QeS3X96P6NHPQW8FCOpeXQHXe3VZyJ1_qnVcEBG927S4ate1n6u-GQej-9ZLDQtA_7ms425EX8ejKU3UIC6w1-vNM_0c92EcrORZWJj_e-NyU8j––vDamzc9sq8q4Kz5UmhBtoLtViaWA_9QqbR1gdQJ9af8rERSJkONPOtdgZofK0NnoPgMbON0B71rPN1Sqf-jIm9lagS

Let them beat on the obvious firearms safe. Put a bit of cash in there and let them think they found the treasure.

I like the idea of the caches inside the house like inside doors and false outlets, but am quite concerned that a house fire would take those goods.

The problem with what most have posted here is that, well, most have posted it.  In other words, thieves know to look there.  A decent thief reading this thread would pop open ever single outlet (which isn't hard to do if you don't care about breaking stuff) and dump out every bit of flour and tupperware in the house.

The trick is to find places that are too hard to get to and/or not commonly posted on internet forums

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#5]

That receptacle safe has very bad reviews.  It stands out and doesn't match the other receptacles in your house either.  For $5 you can make your own as illustrated earlier in the thread.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those that keep liquid cash on hand, how do you store it? The reason Im asking is because I want to do this but am worried someone will break in and steal it or there will be a fire. Only other option is a fireproof safe right?  The thing is the safe could get stolen too. Do they make very small fireproof safes so that I can hide it better? Let me know what you do.

in my fire lined 700lbs gun safe that is bolted to the floor. Been putting $100 a pay check for about the past 3 years.

J-

You just admitted to having over $15,000 in your home safe on the internet.  [rest of it redacted]  

Well that was a downright creepy lesson that should have been delivered in private, instead of broadcast. Two wrongs certainly don 't make it right.

If I delivered it in private, how would anyone else learn from it???

The person it was aimed at doesn't mind and chose to leave it out in public, so you and the other guy who called me a Dick should keep your judgments to yourself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep a case of Vodka in the secure ammo storage - liquid cash.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
a fire has to be insanely hot to mess up a good floor safe......when working to help a buddy clean up from a fire......when we got to the basement.....he started laughing.....the floor safe contents were unharmed....inclusive of about $10k in cash and a few gold and silver bars.

lessons learned from real world experiences are the most valuable.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]
A new take on a classic... What about inside the matress of a sleeper sofa? I've never seen or heard of someone looking there... Under cousins yes in backings yes but never in folding matress itself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
a fire has to be insanely hot to mess up a good floor safe......when working to help a buddy clean up from a fire......when we got to the basement.....he started laughing.....the floor safe contents were unharmed....inclusive of about $10k in cash and a few gold and silver bars.

Especially if you put a bunch of filled 5 gallon water containers on top of the safe to help cool it during a fire.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess the best way would be to think like a criminal and think about where you would look for cash and then hide it somewhere good. I think you'll have to be creative. And also I think that having multiple locations is optimal that way he doesnt find the mother load of cash.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

The person it was aimed at doesn't mind and chose to leave it out in public, so you and the other guy who called me a Dick should keep your judgments to yourself.

sure sure, your motives are pure and make a lovely overcloak.

/and for the record, I didn't call you anything.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

sure sure, your motives are pure and make a lovely overcloak.

/and for the record, I didn't call you anything.

So now you are saying my motives are malicious??
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:46:12 AM EDT
[#16]
When we built the house the plumber built in a false cleanout access for the main soil pipe before the floor was poured. He just did it as a bonus. It is easily opened with the 1" square drive tool designed for it and a pita if you don't have the tool. Just a 4" brass floor plug along with the rest of the plumbing at the service entrance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

You just admitted to having over $15,000 $7800.00 in your home safe on the internet.  You made yourself a target for someone in MI.

Simple searching shows that you are 38 years old, 6 foot tall and 215lbs, you are very busy with your job (police detective) so you probably aren't home much and sometimes you get called into work at night, you live in Ypsilanti, you drive an 04 Kia Sedone.  Wow, I actually just got your name, address, and phone number too, all from a Google search of your username here.

As soon as you see this I will edit all of it out of my post.  I think you should edit your post as well, you can't be too careful.

Even if someone's username isn't linked to their true name, it's not that hard to find out who you are or where you live.  An example is using online purchasing.  Someone could buy something that you are selling to get your address, or try to sell you something.  Maybe they see you talking about a specific firearm and PM you with an offer for one at a great price.  They could also pay off someone that you did business with in the past.  

You really have to be careful with what you admit to online.

Not to split hairs, as I understand what you are saying but I fixed your op for ya, LMAO

J-

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Before I had a safe I kept my AR in a tennis racket soft case hanging on a coat rack, I got burgled and they passed it by, now I have a safe.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I've heard of people also putting things in coat pockets in large closets.  I have never put money away like that but I've lost stuff temporarily in coat pockets like that and finding them next season.  (favorite pocket knife).

I've also heard of hanging smaller firearms on stout hangers and putting clothing over the top of it.  It might work.  I know my step father's shotgun made it through a house burglary in the corner of a closet my mom had packed waaaay overful.  So full you had to really shove clothes back to pull an item out.    Apparently it was too much for the thieves.

Lost the rest of the guns out of a standard cheap pine and glass gun cabinet.......Arisaka bring back from his WW2 Naval service in the Pacific, 1930's winchester rifles (not carbines).
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Living down in Miami taught me to always keep cash on hand.

I use a 1500 pound fire proof Ft. Knox safe.  It is bolted to the slab,and to the wall studs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Living down in Miami taught me to always keep cash on hand.

I use a 1500 pound fire proof Ft. Knox safe.  It is bolted to the slab,and to the wall studs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

You just admitted to having over $15,000 $7800.00 in your home safe on the internet.  You made yourself a target for someone in MI.

Simple searching shows that you are 38 years old, 6 foot tall and 215lbs, you are very busy with your job (police detective) so you probably aren't home much and sometimes you get called into work at night, you live in Ypsilanti, you drive an 04 Kia Sedone.  Wow, I actually just got your name, address, and phone number too, all from a Google search of your username here.

As soon as you see this I will edit all of it out of my post.  I think you should edit your post as well, you can't be too careful.

Even if someone's username isn't linked to their true name, it's not that hard to find out who you are or where you live.  An example is using online purchasing.  Someone could buy something that you are selling to get your address, or try to sell you something.  Maybe they see you talking about a specific firearm and PM you with an offer for one at a great price.  They could also pay off someone that you did business with in the past.  

Not to split hairs, as I understand what you are saying but I fixed your op for ya, LMAO

J-

$100 X 52weeks = $5,200  X  3 years =  $15,600

You didn't specify that you were paid every other week.  It doesn't matter how much is there, it matters how much a thief thinks is there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#24]
i keep my gas in the garage.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially if you put a bunch of filled 5 gallon water containers on top of the safe to help cool it during a fire.

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#26]
This isn't exactly what you are looking for but what about a safety deposit box? We keep some cash and guns in an 850lb gun safe at the house, but keep more "liquid" cash along with a few other things in a good sized safety deposit box at the local credit union. Costs about $75/year.

I know..its not really on hand. But I thought about it and decided the odds of an armed intruder breaking in and either somehow getting into the safe, or worse making my wife or myself open it if caught off guard, were much higher than the odds of the cu for some reason closing out of the blue or not letting me into my box. Not to mention the risk of fire and how well my "fire rated" safe would hold up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

You didn't specify that you were paid every other week.  It doesn't matter how much is there, it matters how much a thief thinks is there.

I put away 100 per pay check 52 week in a year, 26 pay periods a year, 2600 per yearx 3 years=7800.

And thanks to you they think I have 15000.00, ooooooohhhhh i'm doomed, LMAO just kidding with ya.

J-

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

I put away 100 per pay check 52 week in a year, 26 pay periods a year, 2600 per yearx 3 years=7800.

And thanks to you they think I have 15000.00, ooooooohhhhh i'm doomed, LMAO just kidding with ya.

J-

I believe on average most people get paid weekly, that's where I made the assumption which lead to the bigger number
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but what about a safety deposit box? We keep some cash and guns in an 850lb gun safe at the house, but keep more "liquid" cash along with a few other things in a good sized safety deposit box at the local credit union. Costs about $75/year.

I know..its not really on hand. But I thought about it and decided the odds of an armed intruder breaking in and either somehow getting into the safe, or worse making my wife or myself open it if caught off guard, were much higher than the odds of the cu for some reason closing out of the blue or not letting me into my box. Not to mention the risk of fire and how well my "fire rated" safe would hold up.

CU is closed every weekend....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

CU is closed every weekend....

There are many banks nowadays opened on the weekend, even Sunday.  

AFAIK, a safety deposit box is pretty safe from theft or fire.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No good if it's under two stories of water.  I recall reading that the contents of many safety deposit boxes were destroyed during Katrina.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

J-

I believe on average most people get paid weekly, that's where I made the assumption which lead to the bigger number

Huh honestly I dont know of anyone that gets paid weekly, maybe it is a regional thing?

J-

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No good if it's under two stories of water.  I recall reading that the contents of many safety deposit boxes were destroyed during Katrina.

Good call, We need to find a bank on a hill..

Quoted:

Huh honestly I dont know of anyone that gets paid weekly, maybe it is a regional thing?

J-

Could be.  Some people I know who work for big companies get paid mponthly.  other than that, it's always weekly as far as I know.  I'm not sure if I would like every other week
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top