BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw this for frequencies

Just got this in email If any HF operators are interested in monitoring activities associated with this storm, the following frequencies have been allocated for emergency communications to facilitate and support recovery efforts.

Monitor as you will but :

IT’S IMPORTANT TO KEEP THESE FREQUENCIES CLEAR UNLESS YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN HURRICANE RELIEF

Hurricane Watch Net

Day: 14.325MHz

Night: 7.268MHz

SATERN (Salvation Army Team Emergency Network)

National: 14.265MHz
Southern Territory: 7.262MHz

Georgia ARES Emergency Plan
Primary Voice: 3.975MHz
Alternate: 3.982.5MHz, 3.995MHz, 5.330.5MHz, 7.287.5MHz
Special modes: 3.583MHz (PSK), 3.549MHz (CW)

North Carolina ARES Emergency Plan
Primary Voice: 3.923MHz
Alternate: 7.232MHz
CW: 3.573MHz

South Carolina ARES Emergency Plan
Primary Voice: 3.990MHz
Alternate: 3.993.5MHz, 7.232MHz
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm embedded in the VA State EOC and have poc's at all the affected States EOC's as well.

Brought my radios too.
View Quote
I'm supposed to report to our city's EOC at 7pm this evening. I'm thinking it's more for practice than anything since the city just finished their brand-spanking new PSOC building. I suppose it's better to get some "realistic" practice than some tabletop exercise. At least going thru the actual motions will point out what works and what doesn't BEFORE a real emergency. We may get there and they just tell us to go home since I seriously doubt they're going to need backup comms. I would like to at least set up, make some voice contacts with other EOCs and send a Winlink email. Maybe get on the ARFCOM guard channel too. It would be good practice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Newer version of the Arfcom frequencies.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
if you'll shoot me that via email, I'll host it on my HR360 site
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

if you'll shoot me that via email, I'll host it on my HR360 site
View Quote
If I can figure out how to attach it to the email, I will.

On a Mac, you can just right click it and save it.   Will that work on a PC?

Edit:  OK...sent you an email.  Hope it works.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Would like to have that list as well. Which one of y’all do I need to PM?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would like to have that list as well. Which one of y’all do I need to PM?
View Quote
both
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

both
View Quote
Download Here
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is a 2nd link to a Corrected PDF

ARFcom EMCOMM Freq Sheet updated 9/14/18
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#11]
BTW, I got this in an e-mail from the SHARES office:

SHARES Community,

The center of Hurricane Florence (CAT 1) is expected to move inland across southeastern NC and eastern SC today and tomorrow, please see the frequencies below to monitor in support of the recovery efforts of Hurricane Florence. Please remember that it’s important to keep these frequencies clear unless you are participating in hurricane relief.

The Hurricane Watch Net (HWN) activated Wednesday, 9/12 11:00 AM EDT (1500 UTC).

Hurricane Watch Net

Day: 14.325MHz

Night: 7.268MHz

SATERN (Salvation Army Team Emergency Network)

National: 14.265MHz
Southern Territory: 7.262MHz

Georgia ARES Emergency Plan
Primary Voice: 3.975MHz
Alternate: 3.982.5MHz, 3.995MHz, 5.330.5MHz, 7.287.5MHz
Special modes: 3.583MHz (PSK), 3.549MHz (CW)

North Carolina ARES Emergency Plan
Primary Voice: 3.923MHz
Alternate: 7.232MHz
CW: 3.573MHz

South Carolina ARES Emergency Plan
Primary Voice: 3.990MHz
Alternate: 3.993.5MHz, 7.232MHz
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
unconfirmed:

First Responders in Horry County, SC are suspending service due to the current conditions of Hurricane Florence
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here is a 2nd link to a Corrected PDF

ARFcom EMCOMM Freq Sheet updated 9/14/18
View Quote
That's a nice update.  You must have stayed up all night making that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm trying to listen to the hurricane net on 7.268 and there's someone calling CQ on 7.266, constantly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:32:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm trying to listen to the hurricane net on 7.268 and there's someone calling CQ on 7.266, constantly.
View Quote
Are you hearing any actual traffic on the "hurricane net" other than the usual weather forecast broadcasts and keep-this-frequency-clear drivel? (I'm far away from my radios this week and can't listen myself.)
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are you hearing any actual traffic on the "hurricane net" other than the usual weather forecast broadcasts and keep-this-frequency-clear drivel? (I'm far away from my radios this week and can't listen myself.)
View Quote
Hard to say.  Inferred, yes.  I could hear NC, and hear some relays.  But often couldn't hear the other stations passing traffic.

My sense is/was...  not much.  I believe they shut it down about 8 PM Friday.

Harvey Mapping on Zello last year was very busy.  I think we topped out about 5k listeners.  The channel we set up for the same purpose this year has 40.  So far.  Will see what the weekend brings when folks start moving around.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Some wild rumors being spread.  Fema confiscating boats.  Dams about to burst but EOC decided to not warn anyone....

(not on Amateur Radio - Zello)

Seems like some folks take pleasure in spreading chaos.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm supposed to report to our city's EOC at 7pm this evening. I'm thinking it's more for practice than anything since the city just finished their brand-spanking new PSOC building. I suppose it's better to get some "realistic" practice than some tabletop exercise. At least going thru the actual motions will point out what works and what doesn't BEFORE a real emergency. We may get there and they just tell us to go home since I seriously doubt they're going to need backup comms. I would like to at least set up, make some voice contacts with other EOCs and send a Winlink email. Maybe get on the ARFCOM guard channel too. It would be good practice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm embedded in the VA State EOC and have poc's at all the affected States EOC's as well.

Brought my radios too.
Meant to give an AAR. The city had not gotten radios and cabling installed in the radio room other than for their moto units for fire and police. Luckily, we brought our own gear and the EOC folks gave us the go-ahead to do some experiments to see what kind of connectivity we'd have anyway. Keep in mind that the "radio" room is in the interior of the building with offices all around and is adjacent to the big EOC battle room.

So, inside the "radio" room, we first tried some handi-talkies. We could hear the repeater well enough with the units we had. The 5W units we had couldn't trigger the 2m repeater that was a few miles away. One of the guys' 8W unit could trigger the repeater but not enough signal for a copy. Next we tried an FT-2900 and my FT-2980. I could hit the repeater with the 2980 at full power but copy was marginal. So we took our gear to a room on the outer wall of the building. From there, we could use the repeater with good signal reports. We were also able to hit roughly half of the repeaters in the area. On HF, I could pick up a few transmissions, like the HWN, but couldn't transmit well enough to be heard with the HF mobile antenna I had with me inside the building. We also tried calling other EOCs and had similar results. So, after about 3.5 hours of experimentation, we got all of our data and thanked the EOC folks for letting us come in and do some work. On the way out, we saw that the building actually has an outdoor balcony on the 3rd floor for the 911 center folks to use when they need to "decompress" or just get a breath of fresh air. It would have been interesting to drop an end fed off the balcony to see how well HF would work in a pinch. Supposedly, the city still plans to get radios, the control cables, and antennas installed for us. Not sure when that will be, though.

Thankfully for us, we didn't bear the brunt of Florence so we dodged the bullet. Had it hit somewhere near Naggs Head, NC or Sandbridge, VA as a Cat 4/5 it would have caused serious damage all over the city including knocking down a number of the towers the city uses (and probably flooding a lot of land lines and fiber). It's surprisingly easy to lose all comms now that they are all interconnected and interdependent. Apparently the EOC itself is designed to withstand a Cat 3 hurricane. Hopefully they never have to find out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm just south of Charlotte, NC.
So far, we've had some on and off rain and wind with gusts to about 40 MPH. No flooding of any kind yet. Most stores are open on their regular schedule. No gas or bottled water shortages in the stores. There is noticeably less traffic. My wife had to work today and I drove her to and from work in my 4x4 vehicle, just in case. No issues getting there (60 miles round trip).
They are talking about more rain tomorrow and on Monday.
I've been monitoring state-wide linked repeaters, on and off, but have not heard any real emergency traffic. The constant repeater keying makes listening to it very annoying. It's still nice to have this system in case things very very bad and mobile networks begin to fail.

Right now, I'm heading to my shack for a 10m SSB net at 10 PM ET, on 28.340. I'll jump to 40 meters after the net to check propagation and hopefully hit a few DX stations. Post here if you want to have a QSO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Most Cell Sites Pummeled by Florence Are Still Working
The majority of cell sites in the Carolinas remained operating as of Sunday, days after Hurricane Florence made landfall. Now a tropical depression, Florence pummeled the Carolinas and parts of Georgia and Virginia with wind and rain, leaving widespread flooding. More than 700,000 people remained without power in the Carolinas as of Sunday, WWAY-TV reported.

In North Carolina, 86.4 percent of the 5,790 total cell sites were operational as of Sunday. 787 cell sites, or 13.6 percent, were not working, according to the FCC’s Disaster Information Reporting System (DIRS). That’s down significantly from Saturday, when 18.4 percent, out of a total of 1,063 sites, were not working, according to DIRS. New Hanover County had the most non-operational cell sites, 134 out of 287, on Saturday.

Carteret County in North Carolina had the most cell sites out of service as of yesterday. Out of 103 cell sites, 47, or 45.6 percent, were not working.

In South Carolina, 98.3 percent of the 4,107 total cell sites were operational as of Sunday. 68 cell sites, or 1.7 percent, were not working, according to DIRS. That’s down from 210 sites out of service on Saturday.

42 TV stations were on the air as of yesterday and four remained off the air. 100 FMs remained on the air, 20 were off and three sent their programming to be aired on another station. 28 AMs remained on the air yesterday and three were off the air.

https://insidetowers.com/cell-sites-pummeled-florence-still-work/
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Well..... It turned out to be a "non-event". The media predicted the and of the world. All we had was some rain and wind. No power loss related issues.
While trying to get ready for the storm, I realized that I had several metal gas cans with gas from 2008. Of course it was non-ethanol, treated with Stabil. It looks and smells ok. Burns fine too.
This hurricane has also motivated me to install a bracket for a Tarheel HF antenna on my travel trailer and to run all the related wiring for power, antenna control and a coax.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Is there any ham radio traffic coming out of Wilmington?   I have been listening to the central Carolina skywarn feed, but not hearing much on there.  
My nephew and his family evacuated, but they're not getting any info.  Figured someone might know a good ongoing feed or frequency.  
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is there any ham radio traffic coming out of Wilmington?   I have been listening to the central Carolina skywarn feed, but not hearing much on there.  
My nephew and his family evacuated, but they're not getting any info.  Figured someone might know a good ongoing feed or frequency.  
Thanks!
View Quote
Try Zello. (App for your phone) just search for any channel with Florence in the name. You may have to listen for a bit to find a channel with more information than noise, though.

The well moderates channels will be better. Hurricane Florence Mapping is one. There are others but I don’t know them offhand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, thanks. did that though. Bunch of inebriated individuals
talking about beer and tv shows, lol.
eta , ok will check the mapping one.  thanks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top