Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In Greece, credit cards still work, and electronic transfers still work.  Of course that runs counter to what a lot of people want to believe, so it gets ignored a lot.    Not sure how it played out in other places, so YMMV.  Personally, I prefer to keep lines of credit in various forms open just to be on the safe side.  I use cash as little as possible since in the even of a collapse, it may be hard to come by.  It's a bad policy to drive around on your spare tire.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a question about the bank holidays (for Fernando or anyone else familiar with historical/hypothetical examples).

Let's say the bank does have a "holiday".  And ATM's/cash withdrawals are unavailable or limited.  I believe the example in this thread suggested that credit cards would also not work.  What about debit cards - paying for purchases, not taking out cash?  What about check writing?  I'm assuming folks continue to pay the mortgage or rent, pay car payments, pay utility bills (for those still working, depending on the situation), etc.

Does the whole infrastructure stop working / clog up, or is it merely access to paper cash (fiat money)?

In Greece, credit cards still work, and electronic transfers still work.  Of course that runs counter to what a lot of people want to believe, so it gets ignored a lot.    Not sure how it played out in other places, so YMMV.  Personally, I prefer to keep lines of credit in various forms open just to be on the safe side.  I use cash as little as possible since in the even of a collapse, it may be hard to come by.  It's a bad policy to drive around on your spare tire.

From what I understand, they didn't work initially during the bank "holiday". Nothing did. Then, they decided on a cap for ATM withdrawals and opened up that part after a day or two. So-called "capitol controls" were implemented immediately as part of the bank/market holiday. Credit cards only worked when the bank clearing houses were allowed to re-open. Or, so I read.

You're right about having "lines of credit in various forms" though. I was renting a car last month and a young-ish (30 something) couple was wanting to rent a car to go to a wedding. They made a big point of being "debt free" to the person behind the counter. Unfortunately for them, the place wouldn't rent them a car, even if they planned to use a debit card (or pay cash) because they wanted a credit card to charge in the event of a problem/wreck/damage. The couple was exceptionally distraught because they'd gotten rid of all their credit cards to live debt free.

Such is the society we live in these days.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

From what I understand, they didn't work initially during the bank "holiday". Nothing did. Then, they decided on a cap for ATM withdrawals and opened up that part after a day or two. So-called "capitol controls" were implemented immediately as part of the bank/market holiday. Credit cards only worked when the bank clearing houses were allowed to re-open. Or, so I read.

You're right about having "lines of credit in various forms" though. I was renting a car last month and a young-ish (30 something) couple was wanting to rent a car to go to a wedding. They made a big point of being "debt free" to the person behind the counter. Unfortunately for them, the place wouldn't rent them a car, even if they planned to use a debit card (or pay cash) because they wanted a credit card to charge in the event of a problem/wreck/damage. The couple was exceptionally distraught because they'd gotten rid of all their credit cards to live debt free.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a question about the bank holidays (for Fernando or anyone else familiar with historical/hypothetical examples).

Let's say the bank does have a "holiday".  And ATM's/cash withdrawals are unavailable or limited.  I believe the example in this thread suggested that credit cards would also not work.  What about debit cards - paying for purchases, not taking out cash?  What about check writing?  I'm assuming folks continue to pay the mortgage or rent, pay car payments, pay utility bills (for those still working, depending on the situation), etc.

Does the whole infrastructure stop working / clog up, or is it merely access to paper cash (fiat money)?

I always tell people its good to have and use credit, so long as you pay the bill in full each month, no questions asked.
I get 1% cash back on my main card.  I use it for almost everything and every few months I get an extra $50.  I do however always keep cash on hand in and in my wallet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
when economic collapse comes avoid the grocery store- they are the death traps

B. make sure you are friends with the ritziest restaurant and start work there. I'm sure blackwater will be protecting it soon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Doomsday clock for global market crash strikes one minute to midnight as central banks lose control

China currency devaluation signals endgame leaving equity markets free to collapse under the weight of impossible expectations

When the banking crisis crippled global markets seven years ago, central bankers stepped in as lenders of last resort. Profligate private-sector loans were moved on to the public-sector balance sheet and vast money-printing gave the global economy room to heal.

Time is now rapidly running out. From China to Brazil, the central banks have lost control and at the same time the global economy is grinding to a halt. It is only a matter of time before stock markets collapse under the weight of their lofty expectations and record valuations.
View Quote

More here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/11805523/Doomsday-clock-for-global-market-crash-strikes-one-minute-to-midnight-as-central-banks-lose-control.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks. The financial system locking up is a much more drastic situation than not being able to get paper/cash money from the bank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. The financial system locking up is a much more drastic situation than not being able to get paper/cash money from the bank.

Well, you can define the problem to be as drastic as you want it to be.  Financial system totally locked up?  You can't pay your mortgage, car payment, or utilities, since as you pointed out, the financial system locked up.  If the financial system locks up, then by definition the infrastructure stops working.  If it doesn't stop working, the financial system isn't locked up. Access to paper seems to be the first step of it, while CCs and electronic transfers still work.  The infrastructure IS electronic transfers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
when economic collapse comes avoid the grocery store- they are the death traps

B. make sure you are friends with the ritziest restaurant and start work there. I'm sure blackwater will be protecting it soon.
View Quote

Better to be friends with Blackwater.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#7]
There is no more Blackwater.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought they changed their name.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, they swallowed up Triple Canopy and are now known as Academi. I have friends there......
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know you're the "Debt is Good" guy, and I used to be in agreement.  

However, I learned from experience, that your one dimensional thinking, glosses over Two critical factors:    First and Foremost, you have to be able to keep your job in order to service that debt.    

Second; The Time Value of your Money, or Asset purchased with debt, has to outstrip the interest rate of your debt, enough to compensate you for the stress of worrying about the First factor.    

There is nothing more horrifying than losing your good paying job, and realizing that all the other jobs available don't even pay enough to make your mortgage.    I don't blame you for not understanding.  No one ever thinks it will happen to them.     I didn't even have car payments, or payments on a $5000 couch.   Just a Mortgage.     And that was a time I never wish to revisit.  

Ironically, I'm taking on a large amount of debt today, but I'll be paying it down asafp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The average american lives a fairly precarious financial existence, and doesn't know it.  He has a job, makes money, and it all looks pretty job by international standards.  We have homes, cars, and take vacations.  The problem is this:  His lifestyle is very much dependent on a few different factors.  One is debt.  Its a 'buy today, pay tomorrow' life.  

so personal debt is a bad thing.  got it.

Quoted:
There is a lot of precedent for a short term increase in value (Deflation) followed by a long term, constant decrease in value (inflation) caused by massive new money creation.      This isn't even controversial.   Let common sense and history be your guide.      We can't predict the rate of the changes, but the overall process is as sure as death and taxes.  

so it's a good time to acquire personal debt.  got it.

ar-jedi

However, I learned from experience, that your one dimensional thinking, glosses over Two critical factors:    First and Foremost, you have to be able to keep your job in order to service that debt.    

Second; The Time Value of your Money, or Asset purchased with debt, has to outstrip the interest rate of your debt, enough to compensate you for the stress of worrying about the First factor.    

There is nothing more horrifying than losing your good paying job, and realizing that all the other jobs available don't even pay enough to make your mortgage.    I don't blame you for not understanding.  No one ever thinks it will happen to them.     I didn't even have car payments, or payments on a $5000 couch.   Just a Mortgage.     And that was a time I never wish to revisit.  

Ironically, I'm taking on a large amount of debt today, but I'll be paying it down asafp.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1757574__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Extremely_short_term_investment_options_for__25_000_.html&page=2#i54059994

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The average american lives a fairly precarious financial existence, and doesn't know it.  He has a job, makes money, and it all looks pretty job by international standards.  We have homes, cars, and take vacations.  The problem is this:  His lifestyle is very much dependent on a few different factors.  One is debt.  Its a 'buy today, pay tomorrow' life.  

Quoted:
There is a lot of precedent for a short term increase in value (Deflation) followed by a long term, constant decrease in value (inflation) caused by massive new money creation.      This isn't even controversial.   Let common sense and history be your guide.      We can't predict the rate of the changes, but the overall process is as sure as death and taxes.  

ar-jedi

Yes, that's correct.
No really, the only simple answer is: it depends. You can be in a LOT of trouble if you have debt when the economy collapses.. or you can benefit a LOT.  It depends on so many things its just a very complex situation with a very broad spectrum. I'll give you real, actual examples. I borrow USD in Argentina (or lets say you borrow money and buy gold in USA, a few days before the collapse). You borrow 100.000 USD and buy 100.000 USD worth of gold. Dollar start looking bad, dollar devaluates. Now you still have to repay 100.000 plus interest but your gold is now worth 500.000. Congratulations you just made 400.000. This is exactly what happened to a lot of people that borrowed USD in Argentina, or borrowed to buy precious metals, etc.
Same thing but with a slight variant. You borrowed usd but you have a contract that is inflation adjustable/devaluation adjustable, in that case you're screwed. Or maybe you borrowed money for your business (debt is good right?) you invested that money, maybe bought machinery, but because the economy went down there's no clients, and you're still stuck with the debt that you have to repay.
We tend to want simple easy answered but often the relaity is a lot more complex than that.

Quoted:

In both Greece and Argentina cash was king. It usually is. Having said that in some of the bigger stores they did accept debit cards. Credit cards are a bit more tricky and less likely to be accepted than debit card payments. Checks... usually you avoid them like the plague. Way too many people bouncing around checks with no money in thier name. Selling checks usually means you do so taking a big cut.
You keep making your payments, those never seem to go away! Theres no pitty or understanding, you just are expected to pay one way or another.
This thread inspired me to do a video about the topic. Its kind of long but I believe it went well and it illustrates what you're likely to deal with if an economic collapse happens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ZSa07NEgw
FerFAL
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, that's correct.
No really, the only simple answer is: it depends. You can be in a LOT of trouble if you have debt when the economy collapses.. or you can benefit a LOT.  It depends on so many things its just a very complex situation with a very broad spectrum. I'll give you real, actual examples. I borrow USD in Argentina (or lets say you borrow money and buy gold in USA, a few days before the collapse). You borrow 100.000 USD and buy 100.000 USD worth of gold. Dollar start looking bad, dollar devaluates. Now you still have to repay 100.000 plus interest but your gold is now worth 500.000. Congratulations you just made 400.000. This is exactly what happened to a lot of people that borrowed USD in Argentina, or borrowed to buy precious metals, etc.
Same thing but with a slight variant. You borrowed usd but you have a contract that is inflation adjustable/devaluation adjustable, in that case you're screwed. Or maybe you borrowed money for your business (debt is good right?) you invested that money, maybe bought machinery, but because the economy went down there's no clients, and you're still stuck with the debt that you have to repay.
We tend to want simple easy answered but often the relaity is a lot more complex than that.
View Quote

i offered up this exact solution a short time ago, and the OP didn't like it:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/676681__ARCHIVED_THREAD____The_best_way_to_buy_large_amounts_of_silver_gold_without_compromising_your_OPSEC.html&page=5#i11574381

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1757574__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Extremely_short_term_investment_options_for__25_000_.html&page=2#i54059994

ar-jedi

<--- charter member of the ar-jedi fan club
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The average american lives a fairly precarious financial existence, and doesn't know it.  He has a job, makes money, and it all looks pretty job by international standards.  We have homes, cars, and take vacations.  The problem is this:  His lifestyle is very much dependent on a few different factors.  One is debt.  Its a 'buy today, pay tomorrow' life.  And his spending power is dependent on cheap imported crap, low energy and food prices, and a fairly weak and vulnerable economic system.  

Here's how it works.  Joe Main Street buys a home.  It isn't a 900 sq footer with one bath like grandpa, grandma and the six kids bought in 1948.  Its a 2800 sq footer with two living rooms and three and a half baths.  Of course, its all financed.  and it isn't financed so its easy to pay off quickly.  Its "how big a house can I get for how small a payment", which means adjustable rates and 30 years.  He can pay for this.............. if rates stay low and he doesn't loose his job.  Any little economic bump, and its in foreclosure.  Of course, those bumps hit neighbors too, so 4 out of 10 houses on the street will have a for sale sign out on the lawn, and housing prices fall.  Its the housing market collapse from a half dozen years ago all over.

Given that many americans have NO net worth, and of those that do have net worth, most is tied up in housing , this means that a housing market bump burns up any accumulated wealth for many americans...

Americans also live fairly well because our actual hardcore costs for living are cheap.  We don't spend much on food and energy.  Sure, it seems like we do.  However, I bet most americans food budgets account for what, maybe 5-10% of their wages.  Compared to other countries,where food can be 20-30-40% or more of a budget, our food is cheap.  Same for energy.  We drive Suburbans, and Tahoes, and F250's and the like.  A family vehicle in most of the world is something much, much smaller.  Again, gas and energy seem expensive, but as a percent of our income, its small.

This stuff is cheap because we have a fairly strong dollar.  So far.  Relative to other currencies, ours is strong.  We can but foreign good cheap.  In the event of an economic crisis, out dollar can take a huge hit.  If and when our dollar tanks (which is getting likelier by the day, thanks to rampant spending by republicans, democrats and the Fed Reserve Bank), the cost of everything skyrockets.  What do youthink life will be like if the food budget for a family goes from 7% or income to , say 37%???  Given that most americans have NO extra money, this means something is going to collapse.  Again, we have a parallel.  Economies in post WW1 Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Zimbabwe and now Greece are feeling this. For that matter, ask grand dad about live during the Great Depression.  There were an awful lot of very skinny Americans back then.

Our whole supply and distribution systems is fragile and dependent.  It depends on just in time deliveries of everything from toilet paper and tampons to food, oil, and auto parts.  If there are price hikes in transportation costs its becomes fragile.  If economy weakens and the govt stops spending money on minimal infrastructure, things like bridges and ports start going downhill fast.As highways break down, its harder and more expensive to move stuff.  Most of our supplies  -food, groceries, etc -  moves through some reply impressive central distribution systems.  And these hubs are running right at the very edge of hyper efficiency.  We are talking 400-600 semi vans simultaneously unloading, and loading, moving product to shelves that will be sold 18 hours later.  There is NO back stock, no reserve.  When the economy takes a hit, or there is a dislocation, this system can fall in a hurry.  

What you'll likely get is a shortage of many goods, combined with severe price hikes  It will hit places and populations unevenly.  Got a place where everyone is dependent on social assistance?  Its going to get REALLY ugly fast.  These people arnet known as great planners, so I doubt they've got any r eserves squirreled away.  They've got the latest running shoes and proper athletic team sportswear and a great TV system but no food set aside.  When the shortages come, and prices spike, the welfare bums will find the checks done go far enough,.

Middle class america will get hit hard too.  It's hard to accept that you cannot take a family vacation this year.  And most won't want to sell the boat, or downsize the car. Most hang on to the lifestyle and debt and ride it right into foreclosure.  Its hard to feel like you are living  middle class life when the banks have foreclosed and there isn't money enough left over for food.  (remember the ladies in Jaguars and BMW's lined up at food closets during the housing crisis).

A lot of goods and services are going to go away.  And with it a lot of jobs.  Given we live in a service economy, unemployment will skyrocket.   Just look hard at the Great Depression, and you'll see some areas and populations got hit harder than others.  And very very few prospered.  I suspect that a coming economic downfall could easily outpace the Depression for severity and length.  I really don't think our current population is equipped to handle it.  Rather than buckling down and dealing with it, we'll get far more denial and more whining for someone else to fix it.  Combined with FAR more anger and social unrest.  Which of course will further feed the downward spiral.  Need proof?  Explain why our black communities feel the need to vent anger over police shootings by burning black owned businesses in predominantly black neighborhoods?  Or explain why American steel a need to riot, loot, and burn when their favorite sports team looses the Stanley Cup?

View Quote

Holy crap, this guy gets it. Can I subscribe to your newsletter?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, that's correct.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/676681__ARCHIVED_THREAD____The_best_way_to_buy_large_amounts_of_silver_gold_without_compromising_your_OPSEC.html&page=5#i11574381

ar-jedi

Most of the doomsday proclamations are rooted in dissatisfaction with the way things are seen as going.  Saying "This country is going down the tubes, in another 200 years nothing will be left except most of what we have now, but it won't be as good." doesn't get you all tingly like "In 6 months, nothing will be left but ashes!"  Even after the bold proclamations fail to come true, it's always hand waved with excuses about currency manipulation, kicking the can down the road, or some other excuse.  The  thing is, the people saying 6 months to ashes don't really believe that.  They just like saying it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, that's correct.

ar-jedi

Well yes, goes up in value, you make money. The think is, if you're getting into debt to play this game you may end up losing, that's why there's no easy answers. Folks that go "oh, I'll borrow to buy gold and preps, the dollar is going to collapse anyway and paper money will be wothless" are making a pretty risky bet.
Stocks are great as long as they are making you money, which isnt always the case. Makes sense when diversifying but the thing about PM is that it has intrinsic value and it particularly appreciates when everything else goes to hell. Not saying everyone should run buy PM, just that I see its appeal for economic crisis protection.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well yes, goes up in value, you make money. The think is, if you're getting into debt to play this game you may end up losing, that's why there's no easy answers. Folks that go "oh, I'll borrow to buy gold and preps, the dollar is going to collapse anyway and paper money will be wothless" are making a pretty risky bet.
View Quote

and therein lies the conundrum.  SF'ers are constantly warning about "the coming hyperinflation" and "the soon-to-be-worthless dollar" -- yet if folks are SO SURE about that eventual economic state, the best thing you could do is to go deep in debt.  which, incidentally, is never recommended.  instead, it's get out of debt.  

in either case, it will not matter, for several reasons.  unless there exists a future debtor's prison system, and a government entity to manage it, being heavily in debt before, during, or after the economic apocalypse will not make any difference whatsoever.  let's say the financial world has ended -- you think BoA is going to come take your house?  really?  who at BoA (or Wells Fargo, Citi, etc) is going to do that?  those employees with mortgages and bills and no food and no future?  really?  if and when they do take your house, what are they going to do with it?  sell it?  to whom?  under what conditions?  why would people buy expensive hard assets when the future is uncertain?   and the municipal court system, which is clogged as it is, is going to somehow markedly grow case-closing capacity during economic strife and suddenly turn into an efficient enterprise for clearing loan defaults with creditors, and then eventually administering property deeds to new buyers?  really?  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

and therein lies the conundrum.  SF'ers are constantly warning about "the coming hyperinflation" and "the soon-to-be-worthless dollar" -- yet if folks are SO SURE about that eventual economic state, the best thing you could do is to go deep in debt.  which, incidentally, is never recommended.  instead, it's get out of debt.  

in either case, it will not matter, for several reasons.  unless there exists a future debtor's prison system, and a government entity to manage it, being heavily in debt before, during, or after the economic apocalypse will not make any difference whatsoever.  let's say the financial world has ended -- you think BoA is going to come take your house?  really?  who at BoA (or Wells Fargo, Citi, etc) is going to do that?  those employees with mortgages and bills and no food and no future?  really?  if and when they do take your house, what are they going to do with it?  sell it?  to whom?  under what conditions?  why would people buy expensive hard assets when the future is uncertain?   and the municipal court system, which is clogged as it is, is going to somehow markedly grow case-closing capacity during economic strife and suddenly turn into an efficient enterprise for clearing loan defaults with creditors, and then eventually administering property deeds to new buyers?  really?  

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

+1...  What if things keep marching along in a similar fashion for another decade?  Slow decay of the economy with steady inflation that outpaces our salary's?  In that scenario debt could take you out of the game so to speak.

six to one half a dozen the other ?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Regarding debt during a crisis...

It is entirely true that if you borrow now, and have a fixed payment and fixed interest rate, then your payment actually decreases (in terms of spending power) as money inflates.  That $500 payment that is "big" now seems small in the future when the value of $500 has decreased.  This is a 'truth".

There is a really, really BIG problem with any plan that counts on taking advantage of this 'truth".  The whole "inflation makes tomorrows payment seem smaller" theory only works if your income also increases.  If you make $50,000 a year today, and your payment is $500 per month, then you see your wages rise with inflation, then in a few years your income is $70,000 while your payment is $500 per month.  You win!!!  

Unfortunately,  this lottery doesn't always pay....  In many cases, your income DOESNT increase as inflationary pressures pound the economy.  In a true hard economic crisis, the common situation looks something more like this:  I USED to make $50,000 a year.  However, I got laid off, or the plant closed entirely, or my hours were cut.  Now My annual income is $20,000.  The payment is still $500 a month, but on my reduced income its actually a larger percentage of my income.  And the price of food has tripled, gas is $8.00 a gallon, and i no longer have health insurance....  End result is that payment might be mathematically 'reduced' by inflation, but I still cannot pay it because all the other expenses in my life have increased exponentially with inflation.

Don't take my word for this.  Do your own research.  During the stagflation period of the early 80's we had a stagnant economy and higher inflation.  Mortgage rates went 10,12,16, 18%.  Heck, at one time you could buy a bank certificate of deposit that PAID YOU 14,15%!  Take a close look at the numbers.  There were scads of families who had fixed debt (that did not increase in terms of monthly payment), but couldn't make the payments.  The cost of everything else went up so much, there wasn't enough income to cover all expenses.  And God help you if you were an idiot and locked into an adjustable rate or had to refinance to cover a balloon payment.  And most people who carry mortgages tend to carry credit cards, where rates went far north of 20%...

Debt is always a gamble.  You are taking money today, and gambling that your income will cover the payment and interest tomorrow.  And as most of us know, our crystal balls and Ouiji boards regularly fail us.  Life, the economy, our politicians, whatever have a pretty good track record of fucking up our economy
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
A true economic collapse isn't the sort of thing where you decide to postpone that vacation, or cut back on dining out.

A true collapse hits life's fundamental requirements.

Not your "wants", those are luxuries that would be fading memories. Your basic needs would be your primary and daily concern.

It would be very ugly for the vast majority of the population.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, that's correct.

In both Greece and Argentina cash was king. It usually is. Having said that in some of the bigger stores they did accept debit cards. Credit cards are a bit more tricky and less likely to be accepted than debit card payments. Checks... usually you avoid them like the plague. Way too many people bouncing around checks with no money in thier name. Selling checks usually means you do so taking a big cut.
You keep making your payments, those never seem to go away! Theres no pitty or understanding, you just are expected to pay one way or another.
This thread inspired me to do a video about the topic. Its kind of long but I believe it went well and it illustrates what you're likely to deal with if an economic collapse happens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ZSa07NEgw
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Yes, that's correct.

Quoted:

FerFAL

Thank you for that insightful video.

In truth it was nothing like I thought it would be.  I pictured there being a sudden and easily recognizable event that happened and life went from normal to Mad Max overnight.

If the lights stay on and the water keeps running and the trucks still bring food to open stores, it will be much better than I had imagined.

I had imagined no jobs, no electricty or running water and no food in stores. High unemployment and almost no traffic on the roads.

What were people in Argentina buying their food with?  Did the currency stay the same or was there a new currency issued?  What was the inflation rate and how long before it stabilized?

Was there a welfare system functioning for the poor and unemployed?

Thank you for the information in advance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+1...  What if things keep marching along in a similar fashion for another decade?  Slow decay of the economy with steady inflation that outpaces our salary's?  In that scenario debt could take you out of the game so to speak.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

2008:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/610212__ARCHIVED_THREAD____when_did_the_SF_become_the_financial_times_newspaper_.html

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Actually I was hoping for a step-by-step of the collapse; with accompany time table, of what a quick a d dirty collapse would look like. A follow-up tutorial on a slow and lingering collapse as well.
Something like,  Day one/hour one banks don't open and people wonder why but aren't worried yet.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is there a time frame for all this, or is it just the great "gonna"?

No, nothing solid. Just the usual suspects spouting gloom and doom but there seems to be more and more of them lately.

I wonder if a sudden collapse happened would cash be more valuable do to bank closings and money shortages or would cash lose all value?

Soooo...

Your Normalcy Bias has blocked your...

Comprehension ---of the arguably factual responses in this topic.

Actually I was hoping for a step-by-step of the collapse; with accompany time table, of what a quick a d dirty collapse would look like. A follow-up tutorial on a slow and lingering collapse as well.
Something like,  Day one/hour one banks don't open and people wonder why but aren't worried yet.......

A quick and dirty collapse is what happened to my Hungarian grandfather and his family when Soviet divisions were on the horizon.  He had to flee and leave everything behind.  All his land, cattle, acre upon acre of fruit trees and vineyards, all confiscated.  His entire means of self-sufficiency gone overnight.  To add insult to injury, he had his last name changed from an Austrian name to a generic Hungarian one since anyone with a German or Austrian name faced forced relocation/deportation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

your point is taken, but your post mainly has to do with "crisis" on a personal level -> to use your example, job loss.

OP:
Quoted:
I hear the warnings and dire predictions of a pending collapse of our economy due to either outside influence or domestic stupidity.

that is a different saga.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:51:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

2008:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/610212__ARCHIVED_THREAD____when_did_the_SF_become_the_financial_times_newspaper_.html

ar-jedi

Maybe we need an Amateur Economic Forecasting Forum where we can put all of the imminent economic implosion threads and convert this to a Survival Discussion forum.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#26]
^ Yes please.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Or you could just skim past the topics that don't interest you?  Too hard?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#28]
No, I think I will comment on the detritus that is quickly filling is forum.
How many "economic collapse" threads is enough? 5, 10?
we don't need 3 threads about the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Front page, right now:
water/food X4
Camping/hking X5
Economic collapse X3
MZB rifle
Generators X3

... I don't think that "economic collapse" is filling the forum.  Yes it is a popular topic, it is on everyone's minds.  Surviving such an event is on-topic.

IMHO, shit posting a topic in a technical forum (as this is) just because you do not like it is rude behavior.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then go ahead and lock some of them, Mr. Moderator.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Front page, right now:
water/food X4
Camping/hking X5
Economic collapse X3
MZB rifle
Generators X3

... I don't think that "economic collapse" is filling the forum.  Yes it is a popular topic, it is on everyone's minds.  Surviving such an event is on-topic.

IMHO, shit posting a topic in a technical forum (as this is) just because you do not like it is rude behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Front page, right now:
water/food X4
Camping/hking X5
Economic collapse X3
MZB rifle
Generators X3

It's pretty amazing so many are frothing at the mouth about our economic conditions...

[incl me a lot of the time]

Yet the REAL Danger we are presently facing...

That will destroy OUR country and ability to change things ---a LOT SOONER than an "Economic Collapse" [as well as, social, political, .mil, etc.., upheaval...]

Few here are talking abt.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's pretty amazing so many are frothing at the mouth about our economic conditions...

[incl me a lot of the time]

Yet the REAL Danger we are facing...

That will destroy OUR ability to change things [economic, social, etc...]

Nobody is talking abt.
View Quote

... which is?

ETA I am guess "politics" in a broad sense, but I would put that  as off-topic.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It is entirely true that if you borrow now, and have a fixed payment and fixed interest rate, then your payment actually decreases (in terms of spending power) as money inflates.  That $500 payment that is "big" now seems small in the future when the value of $500 has decreased.  This is a 'truth".

There is a really, really BIG problem with any plan that counts on taking advantage of this 'truth".  The whole "inflation makes tomorrows payment seem smaller" theory only works if your income also increases.  If you make $50,000 a year today, and your payment is $500 per month, then you see your wages rise with inflation, then in a few years your income is $70,000 while your payment is $500 per month.  You win!!!  

Unfortunately,  this lottery doesn't always pay....  In many cases, your income DOESNT increase as inflationary pressures pound the economy.  In a true hard economic crisis, the common situation looks something more like this:  I USED to make $50,000 a year.  However, I got laid off, or the plant closed entirely, or my hours were cut.  Now My annual income is $20,000.  The payment is still $500 a month, but on my reduced income its actually a larger percentage of my income.  And the price of food has tripled, gas is $8.00 a gallon, and i no longer have health insurance....  End result is that payment might be mathematically 'reduced' by inflation, but I still cannot pay it because all the other expenses in my life have increased exponentially with inflation.

Don't take my word for this.  Do your own research.  During the stagflation period of the early 80's we had a stagnant economy and higher inflation.  Mortgage rates went 10,12,16, 18%.  Heck, at one time you could buy a bank certificate of deposit that PAID YOU 14,15%!  Take a close look at the numbers.  There were scads of families who had fixed debt (that did not increase in terms of monthly payment), but couldn't make the payments.  The cost of everything else went up so much, there wasn't enough income to cover all expenses.  And God help you if you were an idiot and locked into an adjustable rate or had to refinance to cover a balloon payment.  And most people who carry mortgages tend to carry credit cards, where rates went far north of 20%...

Debt is always a gamble.  You are taking money today, and gambling that your income will cover the payment and interest tomorrow.  And as most of us know, our crystal balls and Ouiji boards regularly fail us.  Life, the economy, our politicians, whatever have a pretty good track record of fucking up our economy
View Quote

I remember 14% CDs
And 16% mortgages
The rule we follow is borrow cheap but only the same amount that is in savings so future 14% CDs will be paying 3.5% mortgages and we get to keep the difference.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been rude by doubting the relatedness of this thread to SF topics. My apologies OP. No excuse on my part for letting GD crap in here. ( Not kidding.)

I will excuse myself stage left.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've been rude by doubting the relatedness of this thread to SF topics. My apologies OP. No excuse on my part for letting GD crap in here. ( Not kidding.)

Carry on.
View Quote

Why do you feel the need to leave?  Stay and contribute if you'd like to.

In my own defence,  I thought that my thread was a bit different than most on the topic.  Mine is geared towards the day to day dynamics of the catastrophe as opposed to the standard "when is the collapse going to happen" thread.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Carry on.
View Quote

Too few of us to lose one over something small.

Stick around.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In my own defence,  I thought that my thread was a bit different than most on the topic.  Mine is geared towards the day to day dynamics of the catastrophe as opposed to the standard "when is the collapse going to happen" thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

There's this one...then a eco flop vs crime and one other...
Its common thread topic. But one that kinda doesn't evolve.
Its the same speculation on "what /how " it will happen.
Of course it can be tailored econ flop in the city...economic flop I the country...in the burbs...trading in an economic flop..working in an economic flop...
Just like other themes. But if they don't go into that detail and stay basic "what to expect " deals its stagnant IMHO.
Plus it drags out the same players at time spewing the same shit...

But that's the internet in general lmao.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I went to the Dominican Republic for vacation last month.  There couldn't be a bigger contrast between the resorts and the rest of the country.  Yeah, it was pretty third world.  Lots of trash, crappy houses, under development, and adults who had nothing better to do than stand around.  It would take something pretty drastic for the United States to fall as far as the Dominican Republic.  And yet, if THOSE people can have a functioning society under those conditions, so could we.  Like I said, I REALLY don't think we'll fall that far.

That being said, to answer the OP, I can sum up my expectations of the worst to come in one word-  "scarcity".  Items and services that we take for granted today will suddenly be much harder to get.  Power outtages would be a little more common, pharmaceuticals might cost a lot more, that kind of thing.

I don't see America descending into some Mad Max style hell that "alpha predators" who make their own suit of armors dream about.  That being said, the so-called "Ferguson effect" is absolutely in full swing, and I experience it on a weekly basis.  Whether the spike in lawlessness is related to the media whipping certain communities into a frenzy and will continue to get worse, of its just the usual cycle we go through is up for debate.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I went to the Dominican Republic for vacation last month.  There couldn't be a bigger contrast between the resorts and the rest of the country.  Yeah, it was pretty third world.  Lots of trash, crappy houses, under development, and adults who had nothing better to do than stand around.  It would take something pretty drastic for the United States to fall as far as the Dominican Republic.  And yet, if THOSE people can have a functioning society under those conditions, so could we.  Like I said, I REALLY don't think we'll fall that far.

That being said, to answer the OP, I can sum up my expectations of the worst to come in one word-  "scarcity".  Items and services that we take for granted today will suddenly be much harder to get.  Power outtages would be a little more common, pharmaceuticals might cost a lot more, that kind of thing.

I don't see America descending into some Mad Max style hell that "alpha predators" who make their own suit of armors dream about.  That being said, the so-called "Ferguson effect" is absolutely in full swing, and I experience it on a weekly basis.  Whether the spike in lawlessness is related to the media whipping certain communities into a frenzy and will continue to get worse, of its just the usual cycle we go through is up for debate.
View Quote

Thanks for your insights on the Dominican Republic. The poorer nations will fare better as they're accustomed to abject poverty.  For a first world nation like ours it will be a shock and it is likely that many of our elderly to die off as services (medical, health care, home care assistants)  would no longer be available to them.  

As for the media whipping certain communities up, expect more of it.  I spoke with a neighbor who blamed the Republicans for that.    I reminded him that the media is agenda driven and plays divide et impera with both sides of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Thanks for your insights on the Dominican Republic. The poorer nations will fare better as they're accustomed to abject poverty. For a first world nation like ours it will be a shock and it is likely that many of our elderly to die off as services (medical, health care, home care assistants) would no longer be available to them.

As for the media whipping certain communities up, expect more of it. I spoke with a neighbor who blamed the Republicans for that. I reminded him that the media is agenda driven and plays divide et impera with both sides of the spectrum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to the Dominican Republic for vacation last month. There couldn't be a bigger contrast between the resorts and the rest of the country. Yeah, it was pretty third world. Lots of trash, crappy houses, under development, and adults who had nothing better to do than stand around. It would take something pretty drastic for the United States to fall as far as the Dominican Republic. And yet, if THOSE people can have a functioning society under those conditions, so could we. Like I said, I REALLY don't think we'll fall that far.

That being said, to answer the OP, I can sum up my expectations of the worst to come in one word- "scarcity". Items and services that we take for granted today will suddenly be much harder to get. Power outtages would be a little more common, pharmaceuticals might cost a lot more, that kind of thing.

I don't see America descending into some Mad Max style hell that "alpha predators" who make their own suit of armors dream about. That being said, the so-called "Ferguson effect" is absolutely in full swing, and I experience it on a weekly basis. Whether the spike in lawlessness is related to the media whipping certain communities into a frenzy and will continue to get worse, of its just the usual cycle we go through is up for debate.

Thanks for your insights on the Dominican Republic. The poorer nations will fare better as they're accustomed to abject poverty. For a first world nation like ours it will be a shock and it is likely that many of our elderly to die off as services (medical, health care, home care assistants) would no longer be available to them.

As for the media whipping certain communities up, expect more of it. I spoke with a neighbor who blamed the Republicans for that. I reminded him that the media is agenda driven and plays divide et impera with both sides of the spectrum.

I think a suprisingly high percentage of the American people will show an unexpectedly high level of resiliency.  People in this country are soft because...well, they can afford to.  This is not only in regards to physical aspects, but social and mental toughess.  The people in this country begrudgingly tolerate the whole "Black Lives Matter" nonsense because someone interrupting brunch or standing on the highway doesn't bother them enough to put the hammer down.  If the situation were more dire, those shenangians wouldn't be tolerated, and the instigators know it.  

After 9-11, the American people didn't cower in fear like the UN and Europeans did when they were hit by Al-Qaeda.  I quite vividly remember everyone who wasn't a braindead liberal (like your neighbor) coming together as one man to call for war.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I lived through the collapse of the Soviet Union. It was bad but I think it may be worse in this country it anything like this happens. Back then we had no bank loans to pay, we owned the apartment we lived in. The city we lived in was more compact when compared to typical American cities. Most places were within walking distance and public transportation was very cheap and relatively accessible and reliable. Basically we could live on very little money that we spent mostly on food.
Right now I have a house mortgage that needs to be paid every month. We need a car to go anywhere because everything is so remote. It will be much harder to survive unless the government suspends mortgage payments, like they did during the Great Depression years. I seriously doubt they will do this because banks run the country.
Crime would be another thing to worry about. People are used to having everything done easily in this country. It will be a rude awakening and many will turn to crime and riots.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The poorer nations will fare better as they're accustomed to abject poverty.
View Quote

I've read the same about the Great Depression:  many weren't much affected by it as they were already scratching out a very meager existence -- there just was not much room to fall.

Compared to these days, with the prevalence of urban living and so many already on various forms of government assistance, I would expect much harder Hard Times.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Caterpillar has had 31 months of straight sales declines. Think about what that means.....no one is clearing housing pads or commercial building pads. No one is extracting minerals or timber. No one is building roads. Look at the crash of commodities prices. Look at the Baltic Dry Index......The only northern European government that will balance the books this year-- due to the collapse of the oil market is Norway. The Russian economy is budgeted on $100 a barrel oil....they are burning reserves like you can't imagine. The Chinese stock market fell off a cliff....In my own town we have closed quite a few restaurants- of course we had too many to begin with and they are a business that begs to fold anyway but there seems to have been an uptick of late. The pipeline business is doing well, infrastructure trying to catch up to the drilling boom, but nobody is punching new wells except stuff that is drill or forfeit kinda stuff.We are selling lots of homes locally- pent up demand and LOW interest rates....Cattleman are doing well but they haven't really rebuilt their herds from the drought years yet, we got lots of rain and the pastures are full of grass and slick cows. Cotton looks great and input costs are down, lots of new trucks going to be sold this winter.....

There ARE people doing well though, some REALLY WELL.... I know a couple- in their late 20's, both with Pharmacy Degrees. They each make over $125k-- at their primary job. Then because of their work schedule which is one week on, one week off they are able to work a secondary job that pays almost as much. They aren't even 30 and are pulling down a combined half a mil....They got in a big argument the other day because they are building a new house and she went over budget and they are going to have to borrow $100k from the bank to complete it....on a $1.25 mil house......

So yea, this is what it looks like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hate to mention this...

We're ALREADY in an Economic Collapse...

Look around -this is what it looks like...

At THIS stage of the process.

Caterpillar has had 31 months of straight sales declines. Think about what that means.....no one is clearing housing pads or commercial building pads. No one is extracting minerals or timber. No one is building roads. Look at the crash of commodities prices. Look at the Baltic Dry Index......The only northern European government that will balance the books this year-- due to the collapse of the oil market is Norway. The Russian economy is budgeted on $100 a barrel oil....they are burning reserves like you can't imagine. The Chinese stock market fell off a cliff....In my own town we have closed quite a few restaurants- of course we had too many to begin with and they are a business that begs to fold anyway but there seems to have been an uptick of late. The pipeline business is doing well, infrastructure trying to catch up to the drilling boom, but nobody is punching new wells except stuff that is drill or forfeit kinda stuff.We are selling lots of homes locally- pent up demand and LOW interest rates....Cattleman are doing well but they haven't really rebuilt their herds from the drought years yet, we got lots of rain and the pastures are full of grass and slick cows. Cotton looks great and input costs are down, lots of new trucks going to be sold this winter.....

There ARE people doing well though, some REALLY WELL.... I know a couple- in their late 20's, both with Pharmacy Degrees. They each make over $125k-- at their primary job. Then because of their work schedule which is one week on, one week off they are able to work a secondary job that pays almost as much. They aren't even 30 and are pulling down a combined half a mil....They got in a big argument the other day because they are building a new house and she went over budget and they are going to have to borrow $100k from the bank to complete it....on a $1.25 mil house......

So yea, this is what it looks like.

My 20 year old bulldozer is still working pretty well :) I suspect most places are putting off large cap investments like that right now as much as possible.

Sounds like that couple should compromise on the too expensive house or wait a bit and pay cash. You'd be surprised how one day your on top of the $$$ world and another day the S has HTF.

The other side of that is that they probably don't have $100K in cash. Making that much money, they should easily be able to put hands on that much.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm more worried about what happens when EBT is only paid 50% of what used to be "normal" because .gov can't charge up all the cards.

Same deal with SS and disability payouts.
View Quote

I predict they will ignore the rules and devalue the money. Pump money into banks. They won't allow things to go as bad as Greece or Argentina.
We are at 18 trillion in debt, they will let it get to 36 trillion.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Recommend everyone interested in this subject read "Hard Times, an oral history of the great depression" by Studs Terkel.

Interviews of hundreds of people who lived through it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Folks think an economic collapse is the issue to be sweating today.

It's worth worrying abt -for sure...

But the greater danger no one seems to be talking abt.

Really have to wonder why folks don't recognize this...

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
...one weird trick?

C'mon, spill it ya tease.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if this is what you're thinking about, but often economic calamities on a large scale lead to wars.  

I'd venture a guess that the US dollar will be the last dollar standing, but by that time, I'd guess much of the world will be at war.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've read the same about the Great Depression:  many weren't much affected by it as they were already scratching out a very meager existence -- there just was not much room to fall.

Compared to these days, with the prevalence of urban living and so many already on various forms of government assistance, I would expect much harder Hard Times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The poorer nations will fare better as they're accustomed to abject poverty.

Reed wrote in his book about his families.  His father's side grew up on a farm and weren't affected much. Sun came up, crops grew and no one starved.  On his mother's side they were city folks and were scraping by to eat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are you getting at?      Care to share it with the class?  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top